Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 121 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney "classics" are becoming antiques. My niece (13) and nephew (8) barely know what Snow White, Dumbo, Bambi, etc, etc are. They definitely know who Harry Potter and Minions are........and there is the problem for Disney. Once upon a time, Disney had the kid market to themselves and continued it for a while with Pixar..........but the last 5-10 years have been pretty lean for memorable Disney characters, movies, etc. The rest of the media world is catching up.......quickly.

Ehh...that's really on the parents. My 3 year old loves pretty much everything Disney. She has seem all of the classics, and most of the pixar movies. I actaully enjoy watching the older movies i grew up on With her. Much better then 90% of kidd entertainment.

There is Disney Merch everywhere. Forget about the parks. I can walk into almost any dept. store and find a Tshirt with Mickey or a princess on it. I don't see the point of spending a ton of
Money at the parks on this stuff. The potter stuff sold well because it was exclusive and well made. Fans ate it up.

- - - Updated - - -

And id argue that most of the Pixar films, Tangled, wreck it Ralph
We're a lot more memorable then the generic stuff dreamworks puts out. Those Shrek films were just terrible.

Ehh...that's really on the parents. My 3 year old loves pretty much everything Disney. She has seem all of the classics, and most of the pixar movies. I actaully enjoy watching the older movies i grew up on With her. Much better then 90% of kidd entertainment.

There is Disney Merch everywhere. Forget about the parks. I can walk into almost any dept. store and find a Tshirt with Mickey or a princess on it. I don't see the point of spending a ton of
Money at the parks on this stuff. The potter stuff sold well because it was exclusive and well made. Fans ate it up.

- - - Updated - - -

We're a lot more memorable then the generic stuff dreamworks puts out. Those Shrek films were just terrible.

I agree it is what the parents put in front of them. My child watches PBS and Disney Jr only. Because that is what I put in front of her. She has seen some of he classics and some of the newer stuff. We are slowly collecting Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, and other kids movies like DM. Once on she prefers some shows/movies over others. Like she is not a fan of all of Lion King, but can't get enough of DM. She likes Cars when we are in the car, but if we play it at home, she wants nothing to do with it. Odd and can't figure that one out, because when we give her a choice of three movies in the car, she will always pick cars, unless DM is an option. We were at Best Buy and she watched the same clip of Madagascar 12 times and I had to pull her away, so we are going to get those films too. Shrek she is just OK into. So she is all over the place really. BUT there are many programs she has never been exposed to that are VERY popular. Because I don't care to watch them and therefore she does not watch them. So saying what your kids do or do not like, is not really showing what other kids do or do not like.

Oh, and my one friends has a 5 year old that goes to Disney every year, loves it, asks to go, etc. And has seen none of the movies Disney has put out :) So movies/shows is no reflection on whether the child will or will not like the parks itself.

Oh, and yes, I live in Florida and this probably means more Disney merchandise, but the one type of shirt I see the most in my kids daycare class? Mickey and Minnie shirts. The one day three kids had different Mickey/Minnie shirts and my daughter came into the room all the kids made a big deal of her Minnie shirt. I have not seen the same reaction or trend with other IPs.

Last edited:
I agree it is what the parents put in front of them. My child watches PBS and Disney Jr only. Because that is what I put in front of her. She has seen some of he classics and some of the newer stuff. We are slowly collecting Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, and other kids movies like DM. Once on she prefers some shows/movies over others. Like she is not a fan of all of Lion King, but can't get enough of DM. She likes Cars when we are in the car, but if we play it at home, she wants nothing to do with it. Odd and can't figure that one out, because when we give her a choice of three movies in the car, she will always pick cars, unless DM is an option. We were at Best Buy and she watched the same clip of Madagascar 12 times and I had to pull her away, so we are going to get those films too. Shrek she is just OK into. So she is all over the place really. BUT there are many programs she has never been exposed to that are VERY popular. Because I don't care to watch them and therefore she does not watch them. So saying what your kids do or do not like, is not really showing what other kids do or do not like.

Oh, and my one friends has a 5 year old that goes to Disney every year, loves it, asks to go, etc. And has seen none of the movies Disney has put out :) So movies/shows is no reflection on whether the child will or will not like the parks itself.

Oh, and yes, I live in Florida and this probably means more Disney merchandise, but the one type of shirt I see the most in my kids daycare class? Mickey and Minnie shirts. The one day three kids had different Mickey/Minnie shirts and my daughter came into the room all the kids made a big deal of her Minnie shirt. I have not seen the same reaction or trend with other IPs.

(FYI Desbicable Me is a Universal movie....not Dreamworks like so many people seem to think.)

As for the daycare class...in my job i see tons of little kids too, and the majority of them nowdays seem to be wearing Transformers, Avengers, Batman, Barbie or My Little Pony outfits...given, the kids I'm referring to range from 2-8, so that may be why there's a difference. I hardly ever see Mickey lately.

- - - Updated - - -

So are you saying that Disney should rely on parents to keep their properties "current"??? Yikes!

(FYI Desbicable Me is a Universal movie....not Dreamworks like so many people seem to think.)

As for the daycare class...in my job i see tons of little kids too, and the majority of them nowdays seem to be wearing Transformers, Avengers, Batman, Barbie or My Little Pony outfits...given, the kids I'm referring to range from 2-8, so that may be why there's a difference. I hardly ever see Mickey lately.

Yes, I know DM is Universal, which is why I stated and other kids movies like DM instead of just leaving it under Dreamworks.

Yes, my daughter is 2, so 2 year olds are a little young for most of the properties you listed. I know I would not let my kids watch any of those properties at this age, nor are the toys for those IPs appropriate for her age group. So that could be the huge difference.

Ok, it appears the slight misunderstanding is what is a utilidoor and what is a basement/lower level that is connected to a utilidoor. Cosmic Rays is one that has a lower level prep kitchen and there is also a lower level kitchen for the CM's cafeteria (which is called some ridiculously saccharin name)

So, the clarification is that there is no cooking going on in the actual tunnels, but only lower level rooms that connect to them.

tah dah!

Thanks for the update Teebin. The utilidoor is basically a big ring with several branches and rooms off of that. It was made so that costumed characters wouldn't be seen walking in a different area of the park therefore taking away some of the magic. Just a little misunderstanding. On a side note While on tour we did see a CM half costumed as a very well known princess

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Teebin. The utilidoor is basically a big ring with several branches and rooms off of that. It was made so that costumed characters wouldn't be seen walking in a different area of the park therefore taking away some of the magic. Just a little misunderstanding. On a side note While on tour we did see a CM half costumed as a very well known princess

Oh yes, I do know what the utilidoors are for. I was looking at pictures of them being built while they were being built. :wave:

Hey everyone, sorry for having to post this here but I don't know where else I'd post it. So a family friend wants to go to Magic Kingdom, they're looking to buy tickets online and when they click Check Out it requires them to make an account on their website. It's not that making an account is what they're uncomfortable with, it's all the questions they ask just to make it. Call me crazy, but why would you be required to put in the exact year you were born and your first and last name and where you live all that stuff. I don't know, it just seemed fishy because if I remember correctly, it used to be you click Check Out, enter the billing info and you're set. I mean, this just for an account on their website, and they require you to do it.....So, is this normal? I don't Uni makes you enter all this info just for an account on their website...

With the nextgen project, they are starting to collect more information. Some with reservations, you now need to enter a bunch more information.

And I think this really sucks, because dreamworks seems to me to be one of the least creative animation studios (Sony and their many open season movies take the biscuit), where as I think universal and illumination rival Pixar now- DM 2 was one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time, and the lorax somehow got me really invested.

Uni deserves a heck of a lot more credit than it gets when it comes to animation.

And I think this really sucks, because dreamworks seems to me to be one of the least creative animation studios (Sony and their many open season movies take the biscuit), where as I think universal and illumination rival Pixar now- DM 2 was one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time, and the lorax somehow got me really invested.

Uni deserves a heck of a lot more credit than it gets when it comes to animation.

Illumination is just getting started to with several Suess projects lined up including the Grinch as well as some original content. We will see A LOT more of them in Universal parks worldwide over the next decade.

I wore my Minion shirt to MK and got tons of comments on it and even had some lady ask to take a picture of it lol.

On a side note we finally made it in to see story time with Belle and that will be the last we see that. My two and three year old wanted nothing to do with it also.

...... :yawns: ....... Dare I ask if there has been any noticeable progress to the construction of this mine? It's been a while since I saw pictures and mind you, at the rate this project is going I doubt there is anything new to report.

...... :yawns: ....... Dare I ask if there has been any noticeable progress to the construction of this mine? It's been a while since I saw pictures and mind you, at the rate this project is going I doubt there is anything new to report.

A seagull sh*t on a rock yesterday, forced construction to come to a stand still while WDI investigated the story behind it