Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In Disney's defense, Universal hasn't exactly copyrighted a map. :lol: While the resemblance is definitely noticeable, one is the Marauder's Map and the other is a generic pirate/adventure/treasure map. I highly doubt the marketing department went, "Hmm. What should we put onto this new website? A map? No. That wouldn't work. Unless . . . What if we copied WWoHP's map?! Now we're talking!"

Two things:

(1) Just by creating a map, Universal has a copyright in it. That said, I'll bet money they formerly filed that copyright, giving them even more legal protection. In any case, this seems like more a trade dress issue, which is similar but not quite the same. Not saying they should sue--not sure I see the upside--just saying I don't see that case getting tossed out of court. [/LawyerMode]

(2) This looks nothing like a pirate map. It's far too medieval, pirate maps reflect a romanticized version of the 17th/18th centuries (too lazy to look, but compare to pirate map motifs used on DCL documents). Font, paper and ink style, all scream Hogwarts, not buried treasure.

And even if it was, what does a pirate map and searching for treasure have to do with Beauty & the Beast or Storybook Circus?

Who was it in the dead thread that told me that Disney wasn't going to promote the new area? We'll be hearing a lot about new fantasyland for the next several months.

That was me, and that's not what I said.

I said they've done a terrible job marketing it, and they have. This is a great site, but it's too little, too late. The thing opens in 2 months. It's already too late. And even then, this is a site on the WDW site. It's not there trying to grab people that aren't already fans of the parks.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Dragon Challenge wouldn't be in IOA/WWoHP if **** didn't hit the fan back then. Instead a version of it would be in DAK right now.

No, it wouldn't of.

Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge is NOTHING like the plans for Dragon Tower. It'd be like comparing Space Mountain and Expedition Everest because they both revolve around "mountains".

anyone defending Disney at this point is being silly, it's one thing to copy the butterbeer, it's another to try and make your promotional material actually look like Harry Potter. The concept drawings, and other artwork did not give off a Potter-also vibe to me. They could have easily come up with something more unique that fit the actual area.

Like I said before, does Storybook Circus really fit on an "ancient map"..and why is there an ancient map in the first place? Has Fantasyland ever been represented as this mysterious place of lore?

And what's will all this "curse" nonsense? That doesn't make ANY sense, what so ever. Someone on another board mentioned that the "curse" must be to construction walls. ha ha.

Sorry to go off topic for a moment, but on Face Off this week, they named it the "Dragon Challenge" how many of you saw that and immediately thought of the coaster? :lol:

anyone defending Disney at this point is being silly, it's one thing to copy the butterbeer, it's another to try and make your promotional material actually look like Harry Potter. The concept drawings, and other artwork did not give off a Potter-also vibe to me. They could have easily come up with something more unique that fit the actual area.

Like I said before, does Storybook Circus really fit on an "ancient map"..and why is there an ancient map in the first place? Has Fantasyland ever been represented as this mysterious place of lore?

And what's will all this "curse" nonsense? That doesn't make ANY sense, what so ever. Someone on another board mentioned that the "curse" must be to construction walls. ha ha.

It's easy to defend Disney the parks. They still contain a lot of what made them great and aren't the worthless shells that a lot of people seem to make them out to be. Disney's current business plans however can't be defended. It's bad decisions one after the other.

yeah don't get me wrong, I love Magic Kingdom, and am excited for the expansion as I've stated before, but the recent marketing that has been coming out this past week has been just blatant rip off's of Potter. Which is ok if they actually improved on what the original design is.

When Universal finally unveils concept art for Potter Part 2, I guarantee they will blow all of this stuff out of the water. Disney is not aiming nearly as high as it should be....

The "arguement" that Fantasyland isn't a response to Potter, just got completely proven wrong by the Disney marketing and design team.

No, it wouldn't of.

Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge is NOTHING like the plans for Dragon Tower. It'd be like comparing Space Mountain and Expedition Everest because they both revolve around "mountains".
whoa, calm down and note the wording. I said a "version" of it. I know that Dragon Challenge was never going to go into DAK as it currently is today in IOA, but it certainly wouldn't be in IOA if things had gone down a little differently at WDW at the time.

whoa, calm down and note the wording. I said a "version" of it. I know that Dragon Challenge was never going to go into DAK as it currently is today in IOA, but it certainly wouldn't be in IOA if things had gone down a little differently at WDW at the time.

I still don't really buy that. The Lost Continent was a big part of IoA once the park concept began to become clear. I don't know how different it would have been if Tower opened. The two were very different.

A pirate/treasure map for Fantasyland is beyond stupid. But:

(1) Just by creating a map, Universal has a copyright in it. That said, I'll bet money they formerly filed that copyright, giving them even more legal protection. In any case, this seems like more a trade dress issue, which is similar but not quite the same. Not saying they should sue--not sure I see the upside--just saying I don't see that case getting tossed out of court. [/LawyerMode]

No, no, no..... no. No. Universal doesn't own a copyright over treasure maps. They may have wasted their time to copyright this specific pirate map, but the same tenants of IP law that would allow Uni to receive a copyright for that specific treasure map are the tenants that would absolve Disney's specific treasure map. The originality requirement is met by pretty much any author-created art in a piece. We could argue all day whether the idea was duplicated, but the map itself was not duplicated - that's not a Hogwarts map on a Disney server.

The case wouldn't get thrown out of court - it would get laughed out of court.

I think Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom has the coolest maps anyhow.

The maps in the new iPhone/Android app are pretty good too but I think it's telling though that you have to spend 30 seconds scrolling through the legal release to actually use the app. The only part that I read was a bit about agreeing to not steal Reuter's content and pass it off as my own. Umm, alright?

I bet there was something in there about not holding my phone over my head while using the app.

A pirate/treasure map for Fantasyland is beyond stupid. But:

No, no, no..... no. No. Universal doesn't own a copyright over treasure maps. They may have wasted their time to copyright this specific pirate map, but the same tenants of IP law that would allow Uni to receive a copyright for that specific treasure map are the tenants that would absolve Disney's specific treasure map. The originality requirement is met by pretty much any author-created art in a piece. We could argue all day whether the idea was duplicated, but the map itself was not duplicated - that's not a Hogwarts map on a Disney server.

The case wouldn't get thrown out of court - it would get laughed out of court.

Why I said it was more of a trade dress case, anyway. Agreed they did not "steal" the content of the map, but I think a case could be made for trade dress. A lot of restaurant cases re: trade dress I think could be analagous (don't know of any theme park tho).

^ Trade Dress applies to an "attempt to deceive the customer" only. Disney isn't trying to make people think that FE is somehow associated with Harry Potter. They are merely using an age old advertising/graphics technique. They are just being lazy in using a similar website approach, and a cheap one at that. Uni's WW website is one great big expensive tour-de-force of design and programming.

well sorry for being stupid. :doh:

- - - Updated - - -

Do you really believe this is going to be made with fresh-squeezed mango juice or something? It will be a mix of sugar and chemical flavors, just like Butterbeer and every other soft drink served in every theme park everywhere.

Still shaking my head over the cinnamon rolls. Pretzels/turkey legs? Perfect tavern food. Crepes? Could also work. Mini apple tarts? I think they were in the movie, are definitely in Philharmagic, definitely French, so why not. Some random blueberry custard called "The Grey Stuff"? At least it's canon. But cinnamon rolls???

well sorry for being stupid. :doh:

And this friends is why people are critical.

523392_10151010805407035_894451677_n.jpg

^Amazing. It worked. Why are they messing with it already?

If I had to take a stab, they've had problems with getting people into the stores. They aren't allowed to prop the doors open anymore, so instead they're putting merchandise in the windows to show there's stuff to buy inside.