Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 385 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Too bad FF is closed for AoV....you'll have to do TEN rides on F&F now!

giphy.gif
If I make that, I'll go ride RRR and play "I'm a Survivor' for my ride song. :lol:

Got to ride this today, and... yeah.

I really liked the touch of being able to see through the vehicle's windshield, but other than that, I was not terribly impressed. The whole attraction feels like a miscalculation, and the size of the ride's footprint is entirely disproportional to its own ambitions (which is to say it's not ambitious at all).

Got to ride this today, and... yeah.

I really liked the touch of being able to see through the vehicle's windshield, but other than that, I was not terribly impressed. The whole attraction feels like a miscalculation, and the size of the ride's footprint is entirely disproportional to its own ambitions (which is to say it's not ambitious at all).
So we are still;

Are there any rumors on the possible changes to Fast and Furious in Beijing? I know it's still using the same ride system but considering it's to be one of the most expensive theme parks ever built, I'm assuming they can find some extra coins to improve the biggest flaws. A replacement for the musion scene and some enhancements to the animation in the 360 tunnel could go a long way in turning an embarrassment into just a mediocre people eater.

And if that happens, I see no reason our version shouldn't get the same enhancements down the road in a year or two similar to the tweaks and upgrades our Forbidden Journey received after Japan and Hollywood opened theirs.

As an aside, Universal's official facebook and twitter pages have not posted any material on Fast & Furious since June 5th. I'm talking no image, no reference, no tidbit or meme, no mention of the ride at all in over 3 and a half months. It doesn't even get featured in the daily park hours tweets which always feature a ride. I did a thorough check of the social feed and every single ride, store, and restaurant at the resort gets highlighted on and off except F&F. I'm talking multiple mentions and tweets with even the stepchildren of the resort like Poseidon's Fury, E.T, Barney, Shrek, Men in Black, and The Horror Make Up Show. They're marketing the hell out of Skull Island, Transformers, Wizarding World, Jimmy Fallon, Minions, Rip Ride Rocket, etc. as well. It speaks volumes that the headliner attraction of 2018 is being ignored to the point of absolute exclusion on all social media.

Does anyone know if they removed F&F from the cover of the park maps as well?

Last edited:
okay, I finally rode this today.
I have mixed feelings about it, some good feelings and some bad feelings. I was very surprised about what i experienced. I did the ride 3 different times in 3 different sides.

Also the ride has to be reviewed in two parts, one part to review whats going on in the screen and another part to review the ride system

first review, the screen part:

so, what they show you in the screen was actually kinda nice. it actually made me feel sad that the video was not as bad as i thought it would be, it really felt like a video game simulator.
seeing this ride and seeing what they came up with in the screens made me feel like watching someone play grand theft auto on a giant screen, that part was cool.

it was cool to see what felt like watching a video game in a giant screen with water and air effects.
It should have been longer, but the video was kinda nice. (It is goofy as hell, but i loved that it felt like i was riding a video game simulator.)
the party part of the ride was silly but it was an okay set up. it wasn't too bad.
(even the intro with The Rock and the moving walls in the darkness was really cool)

The ride itself:
probably the WORST ride system i have ever done in my entire life. it really is one of the worst rides I have ever experienced.
if you are not in the Right side of the truck facing the screens you will lose everything that is happening. if you are in the back of the truck you will lose everything that is happening. the worst part to be is in the left side, because EVERYTHING happens in the right side of the truck.
Everything, the party happens on the right, the action all happens on the right, everything.

I did the ride first on the very left side, it was awful. i could not see what was happening, i did not see Vin Diesel grab the helicopter, I could not see what happened to the bad guy. What an absolute mess... (Sure, there are things going on in the left screen, but all the action was going on to the right

Then I did the ride on the right side of the truck and i saw everything, and it was a really cool video game simulator. thats what it looks like, it just literally feels like if you were watching a video game on a giant screen.
but the screens are not big enough to make it feel like a ride, the screens are very tiny to make you feel immersed.
the black space below the screen and above the screen makes it not feel like a ride, it doesnt feel like a ride at all, it feels like a Game Demo at comic Con or something.
they should have made the screens much bigger, Or they should have made it a 360 theater and get rid of the roof.
(The third time i did it in the last rows and it was awful as well. because all the action happens in the middle section of the screen so at the very end of the ride, everything looks distorted. everyone's faces and bodies look distorted. it felt like when you sit at the bottom of a movie theater.

This ride could have been AMAZING if they made it in the same style as Simpsons. they copied the wrong ride system, if they had make it a 360 degree theater or if they had made it into a Simpsons hybrid with a giant screen covering the entire truck's view and making sure Every person in the ride could see the action, this ride would not be as hated.

I know they were limited by having to use the footage from the California experience but they should have just tried to work on making this into a theater experience like Fallon with different cars instead of one big truck

(The queue is pretty nice, it was beautiful actually. I loved seeing the cars and i loved the music playing. the queue is definitely worth doing

Reactions: tielo
okay, I finally rode this today.
I have mixed feelings about it, some good feelings and some bad feelings. I was very surprised about what i experienced. I did the ride 3 different times in 3 different sides.

Also the ride has to be reviewed in two parts, one part to review whats going on in the screen and another part to review the ride system

first review, the screen part:

so, what they show you in the screen was actually kinda nice. it actually made me feel sad that the video was not as bad as i thought it would be, it really felt like a video game simulator.
seeing this ride and seeing what they came up with in the screens made me feel like watching someone play grand theft auto on a giant screen, that part was cool.

it was cool to see what felt like watching a video game in a giant screen with water and air effects.
It should have been longer, but the video was kinda nice. (It is goofy as hell, but i loved that it felt like i was riding a video game simulator.)
the party part of the ride was silly but it was an okay set up. it wasn't too bad.
(even the intro with The Rock and the moving walls in the darkness was really cool)

The ride itself:
probably the WORST ride system i have ever done in my entire life. it really is one of the worst rides I have ever experienced.
if you are not in the Right side of the truck facing the screens you will lose everything that is happening. if you are in the back of the truck you will lose everything that is happening. the worst part to be is in the left side, because EVERYTHING happens in the right side of the truck.
Everything, the party happens on the right, the action all happens on the right, everything.

I did the ride first on the very left side, it was awful. i could not see what was happening, i did not see Vin Diesel grab the helicopter, I could not see what happened to the bad guy. What an absolute mess... (Sure, there are things going on in the left screen, but all the action was going on to the right

Then I did the ride on the right side of the truck and i saw everything, and it was a really cool video game simulator. thats what it looks like, it just literally feels like if you were watching a video game on a giant screen.
but the screens are not big enough to make it feel like a ride, the screens are very tiny to make you feel immersed.
the black space below the screen and above the screen makes it not feel like a ride, it doesnt feel like a ride at all, it feels like a Game Demo at comic Con or something.
they should have made the screens much bigger, Or they should have made it a 360 theater and get rid of the roof.
(The third time i did it in the last rows and it was awful as well. because all the action happens in the middle section of the screen so at the very end of the ride, everything looks distorted. everyone's faces and bodies look distorted. it felt like when you sit at the bottom of a movie theater.

This ride could have been AMAZING if they made it in the same style as Simpsons. they copied the wrong ride system, if they had make it a 360 degree theater or if they had made it into a Simpsons hybrid with a giant screen covering the entire truck's view and making sure Every person in the ride could see the action, this ride would not be as hated.

I know they were limited by having to use the footage from the California experience but they should have just tried to work on making this into a theater experience like Fallon with different cars instead of one big truck

(The queue is pretty nice, it was beautiful actually. I loved seeing the cars and i loved the music playing. the queue is definitely worth doing
At least you gave it enough rides to find redemption, I guess I have to try it again. Wonder how I get on the right as I tour single though.....

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I rode it again the other night and it was much more enjoyable then the first time I rode it. The dance scene is still cringe worthy af but the 360 was a lot of fun. I was in the middle seat of the middle row so I think that helped. I couldn't see the screen edges. If they could just put some sort of cool physical effect in the transition room out of the 360 I think it would feel like a more complete experience.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I rode it again the other night and it was much more enjoyable then the first time I rode it. The dance scene is still cringe worthy af but the 360 was a lot of fun. I was in the middle seat of the middle row so I think that helped. I couldn't see the screen edges. If they could just put some sort of cool physical effect in the transition room out of the 360 I think it would feel like a more complete experience.
I feel a practical scene at the end would have made it much more enjoyable

At least you gave it enough rides to find redemption, I guess I have to try it again. Wonder how I get on the right as I tour single though.....

the perfect place to enjoy this ride as nothing more than a giant Video Game simulator is Right side, center place.
Because the people sitting right in the front or people sitting way in the back will see the images and characters on screen to be really distorted. (sitting in the right side, you will still see the edges of the screens, But it would just feel like watching a giant TV while someone plays a game for you. it really feels like watching your own big screen tv.

this is really the weirdest and most confusing rides Uni has ever made.... it is a ride that can only be truly enjoyed at one exact place. it is a really selfish ride, only the people sitting on the right and in the middle will be able to enjoy the visuals. that is the most bizarre thing i have ever seen in my life. the entire bus gets the shaft while a couple of people get a really cool experience.

during HHN, if there is no line, i think asking the person working there to please, please please let you sit in the middle in the right window. they might get mad about it, but you could just say you wanna wait for the next truck to come by.

I wanna do this ride again and i cant see myself doing it any other way. if im not in the right side window area, im not doing it lol.

I feel a practical scene at the end would have made it much more enjoyable

it is funny to read this, because if they put the part of the ride with the moving walls and with The Rock talking to you at The End of the ride, After you saw all the action,
that part of the ride could have worked as a really nice closing chapter of what you just saw.

having that dark part at the end of the ride with the Rock talking to you about what you just experienced could have helped the ride to make it feel more complete and cohesive. I Understand they put it in the beginning for timing purposes, but it would have been better if you started the ride right away and then have that dark part at the end, well I think so.
Specially if the video had Both the Rock and Vin Diesel talking to you.

So just a reminder, this thread is for reviews of F&F, please keep general discussions to the main thread. I believe we've gotten past the initial wave of asking questions of @JungleSkip and moved into a larger discussion.

-----

I rode Thursday night with Drew before @JungleSkip got into town. I was drunk, surrounded by friends, and found the actual action scene fine. My issue is the amount of money, time, and justification leading up to it could have been spend on a better ride if they just changed the 360* scene. But they didn't, which leads up to the main issue of the ride.

For me it doesn't come around from bad bad to good bad because of that. If they aimed for the fences with new elements and swung out then I could get on board with "good bad".

FWIW my one ride on F&F I didn't hear anyone praise the ride, including my non-theme park friend who went with me. But guests and my friend did enjoy Fallon, FWIW.

Switching to the correct thread.

There's two things that make a bad ride. The story and experience. This has both, the story is crap and it's executed terribly. For more than half the people riding, they don't have a clue what's going on since pretty much everything happens on one side of the bus, if the ride vehicle was smaller, it would benefit the ride hugely. The ride is also far too short and messy.

This is before you even take into account the 4 other big factors:

1) The ride has a huge footprint in a park that is short on space
2) It cost a fortune for what it delivers
3) SCREENZ
4) The IP deserves far better and the public would be expecting something different than what was delivered

Are there any rumors on the possible changes to Fast and Furious in Beijing? I know it's still using the same ride system but considering it's to be one of the most expensive theme parks ever built, I'm assuming they can find some extra coins to improve the biggest flaws. A replacement for the musion scene and some enhancements to the animation in the 360 tunnel could go a long way in turning an embarrassment into just a mediocre people eater.

And if that happens, I see no reason our version shouldn't get the same enhancements down the road in a year or two similar to the tweaks and upgrades our Forbidden Journey received after Japan and Hollywood opened theirs.

As an aside, Universal's official facebook and twitter pages have not posted any material on Fast & Furious since June 5th. I'm talking no image, no reference, no tidbit or meme, no mention of the ride at all in over 3 and a half months. It doesn't even get featured in the daily park hours tweets which always feature a ride. I did a thorough check of the social feed and every single ride, store, and restaurant at the resort gets highlighted on and off except F&F. I'm talking multiple mentions and tweets with even the stepchildren of the resort like Poseidon's Fury, E.T, Barney, Shrek, Men in Black, and The Horror Make Up Show. They're marketing the hell out of Skull Island, Transformers, Wizarding World, Jimmy Fallon, Minions, Rip Ride Rocket, etc. as well. It speaks volumes that the headliner attraction of 2018 is being ignored to the point of absolute exclusion on all social media.

Does anyone know if they removed F&F from the cover of the park maps as well?
When I was there the last week of September they split up the in park maps. About half of the maps on the entrance rack had Potter on the front cover. The other half had F&F on the cover. I thought that was odd at the time.

Reactions: Scott W.
When I was there the last week of September they split up the in park maps. About half of the maps on the entrance rack had Potter on the front cover. The other half had F&F on the cover. I thought that was odd at the time.

It seems that the ride has become a liability to the brand's identity to the point where it's mention is enough to spark negativity among their entire business. I think this speaks volumes not just on the status of the ride and what we received, but in the acknowledgment and self-awareness of Universal Creative, and the life span of the attraction. If it's such a sour patch to have in the garden where it's being neglected on social media, how long will it be where Universal feels like it's own presence is a liability? Even though one is getting built in beijing, it is a cool question to ask.

It seems that the ride has become a liability to the brand's identity to the point where it's mention is enough to spark negativity among their entire business. I think this speaks volumes not just on the status of the ride and what we received, but in the acknowledgment and self-awareness of Universal Creative, and the life span of the attraction. If it's such a sour patch to have in the garden where it's being neglected on social media, how long will it be where Universal feels like it's own presence is a liability? Even though one is getting built in beijing, it is a cool question to ask.

During a one day trip to Universal we overheard three different groups of people bashing F&F while in line for other attractions.