Former Theme Park Exec. Been a fan for years. Decided to Join the Fun! | Inside Universal Forums

Former Theme Park Exec. Been a fan for years. Decided to Join the Fun!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hi guys and gals. I'm a former theme park exec now working in the film industry and have been a fan of this site for years. It's been fun to watch all the discussions, rumors, and news over the years and decided that I finally wanted to join in and give my two cents every now and then. Namaste!
We will have to be more careful now about blaming theme park execs for everything.:)

Welcome to the boards!!! Any favorite moments from the site or forums from the past before you joined?

Welcome to the boards!!! Any favorite moments from the site or forums from the past before you joined?
Actually your posts have always been a highlight! I also enjoy some of the nostalgic Universal posts. There was nothing like the energy and excitement surrounding Universal when it first opened and in its early years. Hollywood East promised to turn Orlando into a haven for film and television and turn every corner of Orlando into a film set. Many of the friends and colleagues that I made at that time all live in Los Angeles now and have very successful careers in film and television. It's baffling to us that Orlando didn't make it as a production hub when places like Louisiana, Georgia, and Mississippi have more production and more incentives. We all wish we could go back and make movies at Universal like we dreamed of in the old days. At that time, the only homegrown production company in town was Quest Studios--which didn't make it.

Actually your posts have always been a highlight! I also enjoy some of the nostalgic Universal posts. There was nothing like the energy and excitement surrounding Universal when it first opened and in its early years. Hollywood East promised to turn Orlando into a haven for film and television and turn every corner of Orlando into a film set. Many of the friends and colleagues that I made at that time all live in Los Angeles now and have very successful careers in film and television. It's baffling to us that Orlando didn't make it as a production hub when places like Louisiana, Georgia, and Mississippi have more production and more incentives. We all wish we could go back and make movies at Universal like we dreamed of in the old days. At that time, the only homegrown production company in town was Quest Studios--which didn't make it.
Looking forward to your stories & reminiscences from your time in the business. Even here in the Pittsburgh area, we've had a pretty prominent position in film & TV production. One key has always been tax credits. When the state legislature is accommodating, there's been a lot of production. But during the years of cuts in the tax credit, production went elsewhere. We also have a vibrant Film Office in Pittsburgh. Russ Steiner, who heads the board, has great industry contacts. People may remember Russ as being involved in the original Night of the Living Dead movie. Not only was he involved in the production & direction of the movie, but he played one of the walking dead zombies. He uttered those famous lines, "Barbara, we're coming to get you".

That's awesome regarding Pittsburgh. I believe your tax credits and beautiful area are a reason The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, and a few others have been shot there recently. Within my group of friends who are from Orlando, it's a shame when we hear that Ant Man, Captain America, Spiderman: Homecoming, and others have gone to Georgia when Orlando had some of the best facilities outside of Hollywood. Disney could shoot all of the Marvel films at Hollywood Studios and it would be a big draw for guests! However, tax incentives and the nature of the business has changed. In the internet era, most sets are on lockdown and I'm sure no crew would want a tram full of tourists with cell phones in hand strolling by, lol.

I have a ton of stories to share and look forward to sharing them.

:cheers:Hi and welcome. Super excited to hear your stories. If you don't mind me asking, what theme park did you used to work for?

:cheers:Hi and welcome. Super excited to hear your stories. If you don't mind me asking, what theme park did you used to work for?
Hi! I worked for a total of 3 over the course of 12 years on various projects domestically and internationally and in a variety of roles. I then left the industry to work in the film industry and apply my talents I had acquired to that realm. However, I still consult at times and for that reason that's all that I will say. However, I will share what I can, when I can. A lot of people in the industry watch these forums so I also have to keep that in mind.

Welcome! :cheers:

Got any stories from your theme park days you'd be prepared to share? Since we're talking about movie locations, any love for Scotland?

I look forward to your perspective!

I also enjoy some of the nostalgic Universal posts. There was nothing like the energy and excitement surrounding Universal when it first opened and in its early years. Hollywood East promised to turn Orlando into a haven for film and television and turn every corner of Orlando into a film set. Many of the friends and colleagues that I made at that time all live in Los Angeles now and have very successful careers in film and television. It's baffling to us that Orlando didn't make it as a production hub when places like Louisiana, Georgia, and Mississippi have more production and more incentives.
Agreed! Universal was SO MUCH better in the 1990s then they are now! Welcome to the forums!