Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fourth Quarter 2019 Comcast Results (Theme Parks)

I mean, even Disney releases a horrible flop almost once a year. Hell, TROS made a billion dollars and is widely considered an overall failure.
This is very true and a good point.

Perhaps it's perception on my part but it feels Universal pictures doesn't win outside of Dreamworks and Illumination

This is very true and a good point.

Perhaps it's perception on my part but it feels Universal pictures doesn't win outside of Dreamworks and Illumination
Again, they "win" by making smaller budget films that often turn sizable profits. They don't have the blockbuster juggernauts that Disney does, but no one does.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Nintendo changes the profit margins moving forward

Obviously we know it's going to be big, but it will be interesting to see

It's been a four years (Hogsmeade Feb 2016 in Hollywood) since a 'major' brand new land in one of the parks. Generally the Potter lands help spike overall attendance. I think Nintendo will do the same for the 2020 third quarter, especially with Osaka working against soft numbers ever since the 2018 summer cyclone hit.....Now that all the Universal owned parks have hit fairly high attendance levels and maintained them, like Disney, it's hard to push those percentage increase (attendance and revenue) numbers out of the single digits.

Last edited:
It's been a four years (Hogsmeade Feb 2016 in Hollywood) since a 'major' brand new land in one of the parks. Generally the Potter lands help spike overall attendance. I think Nintendo will do the same for the 2020 third quarter, especially with Osaka working against soft numbers ever since the 2018 summer cyclone hit.....Now that all the Universal owned parks have hit fairly high attendance levels and maintained them, like Disney, it's hard to push those percentage increase (attendance and revenue) numbers out of the single digits.
Yes, it has been a while...I think Nintendo will do gang busters for them...And there is so much to explore

Did Universal announce Pokemon was opening in Kidzone this year? Anime News Network claimed they announced it during the conference call but I have seen anything about it here. When I googled it all I found was a 1 line sentence in a Newsweek article about Nintendoland.

Jeez, we finally get confirmation from Universal after 5 years about where and when we will be getting Epic Universe and now we've already moved on to talking about a Pokemon announcement? :lol:

Looks around: Pokemon this year in KZ???? :drool::drool:

Stares at KZ in confusion....... :grumble::grumble:

No construction, maybe the author confused Florida with Japan?? :crazy::crazy:

Maybe they meant "sometime during the 2020s", which hopefully would be true lol. Either way its seeming clear that even without the first SNW open, they're already focusing on future Nintendo projects. I don't think any of us doubted that would happen but now with a Nintendoland opening soon its just even more real.

New breed of media journalists are underpaid and often do poor research. Instead of doing 'real' research, they often rely on Twitter and other social media. Generally you'll read more accurate theme park info on these hard core insider sites than the national media, that rely on 'official' news releases and what they read on social media. Grain of salt with those people.Not many good journalists out there since the print media collapsed.

New breed of media journalists are underpaid and often do poor research. Instead of doing 'real' research, they often rely on Twitter and other social media. Generally you'll read more accurate theme park info on these hard core insider sites than the national media, that rely on 'official' news releases and what they read on social media. Grain of salt with those people.Not many good journalists out there since the print media collapsed.
Not to get too deep into this kind of discussion, but I think social media has damaged, if not ruined, ALL news outlets and sources. So much misinformation going on, and "facts" have lost their meaning sadly. Most things now just are based off of, or come down to the journalists opinion rather than anything factually based.

Not to get too deep into this kind of discussion, but I think social media has damaged, if not ruined, ALL news outlets and sources. So much misinformation going on, and "facts" have lost their meaning sadly. Most things now just are based off of, or come down to the journalists opinion rather than anything factually based.
Totally agree.....and not like journalists were great back in the day, but they did strongly adhere to the 'two sources' rule....I was in a position in the 80's and 90's whereby I did thousands of interviews with both the print and broadcasting media. Unless the writer/interviewer was a beat reporter, whose everyday role covered local government, they really had difficulties getting the interview completely correct, since they really didn't have enough knowledge of the subject to completely understand it. Nearly every interview, they'd get something wrong. So with the broadcasting media I kind of perfected a 15 second sound bite of something colorful enough that would make it on the air and basically be a correct summation of the story. Fortunately, I dealt with a lot of reporters that I could talk to them privately concerning info that couldn't go public, and that would assist them in understanding the circumstances of the story better. Unfortunately, few reporters (short of some of the NY Times & Washington Post top reporters) are allowed the time to do that in this day and age of clicks and click bait. So now reporters become 'lazy' and rely on social media, and skip the 'two sources' rule. Add that to them not having much background knowledge of what they're writing about, and the result becomes a story filled with innuendo and falsehoods, not necessarily intentional, but a story without substance nonetheless.

Last edited: