Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 106 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't consider any of them to be big coasters.

I was mainly referring to the point for him saying they can't be themed. Those are proof of concepts. Just have to scale up. I'd say Black Mamba would be a better example of a large coaster being well themed, but that would send 90%+ of the people to google to see what it even is. lol Big thunder and Matterhorn are just easier top of the head examples.

I would think the new park will end up with one large outdoor coaster, and perhaps the coaster info out there has been somewhat confused with that concerning location. I think Joe is right assuming IOA will continue to go in the direction of attractions that can stay open in the everyday summer rains of Florida. If a coaster goes into the DC location, I would assume it will be small, fully themed & enclosed.

IOA could eventually get up to 15 indoor attractions (20-30 years down the road):
  1. Spidey
  2. Doom replacement
  3. Enclosed Storm Force
  4. TL theater replacement
  5. Kong
  6. Mr. DNA Lab Tour (using rest of Trikes plot)
  7. Discovery Center (revamped)
  8. Forbidden Journey
  9. Ollivander's
  10. DC replacement(s) - a family dark ride and Verbolten-style coaster would be good replacements and there's enough room to fit both IMO (plus more shops and a flat ride/maze)
  11. Sinbad (revamped/replaced)
  12. Poseidon (revamped/replaced)
  13. Cat (revamped)
  14. New Seuss dark ride/indoor coaster
The park would be in good shape if the indoor/outdoor ratio is at least 50/50

Reactions: Porkchop
Actually, after thinking about it some more, a true Hyper can't really happen as they are over 200 ft tall. Uni has made it pretty obvious that they aren't going to make anything that tall. I guess a "wink wink" Hyper that is 199 foot is possible though.

[/random thought]

Especially when IOA and the resort just shook off the "coaster park" stigma a couple years ago and... like I read before... being the family destination where the family has to separate. :lol:
This is the reason I don't see a hyper happening...As much as I want to see Universal do one with a Greek Mythology theme, big bare coasters aren't their thing anymore...Also, IOA and USF are doing well attendance wise, I personally view coasters as quick attendance boosters - RRR as an example...I see a coaster happening, just not a hyper, and not outdoors

Buuuut, Imagine an Atlantis themed hyper :drool:

Actually, after thinking about it some more, a true Hyper can't really happen as they are over 200 ft tall. Uni has made it pretty obvious that they aren't going to make anything that tall. I guess a "wink wink" Hyper that is 199 foot is possible though.

[/random thought]
Well Mako is exactly 200 ft as is Krakatau. Apollos Chariot (the very first hyper) is 199 ft but has a drop of 200 + because it goes underground.

Apollos Chariot (the very first hyper) is 199 ft but has a drop of 200 + because it goes underground.
Yeah, rode that once and that was more than enough. Didn't care for the restraints (or lack thereof) on that one.
It's a shame that FL is so flat, because I think BGW really makes good use of the elevation differences in their park when designing coasters. They could do an awesome indoor/outdoor forbidden forest themed coaster there!

So you consider Matterhorn, Big Thunder, etc, unthemed?

Big coasters can be themed, it just requires an investment that isn't likely to happen.
Compared to the Hulk or most of SeaWorld's coasters, no. I guess my definition is more about intensity. The most intense coasters have crazy layouts with loops, banks and the like. It's not feasible to theme Hulk to the same extent as Big Thunder.

I was mainly referring to the point for him saying they can't be themed. Those are proof of concepts. Just have to scale up. I'd say Black Mamba would be a better example of a large coaster being well themed, but that would send 90%+ of the people to google to see what it even is. lol Big thunder and Matterhorn are just easier top of the head examples.

The problem with scaling up to this size is that the cost skyrockets and most of the theming will be completely lost at the higher speeds. One of the best themed coasters is Nemesis but that doesn't rely on big drops or high speeds that a hyper coaster would need to. It also cleverly uses the landscape, something that Orlando just doesn't have as it's mostly flat.

I love the idea of a hyper coaster but I don't think it would work here for several reasons. Personally, I'd love some kind of launch coaster to avoid the use of a lift hill.

Compared to the Hulk or most of SeaWorld's coasters, no. I guess my definition is more about intensity. The most intense coasters have crazy layouts with loops, banks and the like. It's not feasible to theme Hulk to the same extent as Big Thunder.

Black mamba. Just showing what could be done if they wanted to.

The problem with scaling up to this size is that the cost skyrockets and most of the theming will be completely lost at the higher speeds. One of the best themed coasters is Nemesis but that doesn't rely on big drops or high speeds that a hyper coaster would need to. It also cleverly uses the landscape, something that Orlando just doesn't have as it's mostly flat.

I love the idea of a hyper coaster but I don't think it would work here for several reasons. Personally, I'd love some kind of launch coaster to avoid the use of a lift hill.

Oh I agree, a Hyper would be cost prohibitive to theme heavily. It would have to be designed as a mountain shape with the coaster continually turning back into the structure to make it even in the realm of affordable. Completely opposite of the out and back speed runs that we normally see. It would kinda defeat the purpose of doing a hyper. I doubt we'll ever see one themed like that, but they could if they really wanted to.

Reactions: DrakeParker
Universal is building a lot of hotel rooms. Big coasters only serve a tiny % of their guests. The land is better used for rides and shops that serve a larger % and throughput. It'll earn them more revenue and customer satisfaction then the next big rollercoaster that is old news next week (look how it's doing for Sea World).

Universal is building a lot of hotel rooms. Big coasters only serve a tiny % of their guests. The land is better used for rides and shops that serve a larger % and throughput. It'll earn them more revenue and customer satisfaction then the next big rollercoaster that is old news next week (look how it's doing for Sea World).
Like I said, coasters are short attendance boosters

Reactions: Joel and SkiBum
Like I said, coasters are short attendance boosters

I never know about the "short attendance" thing. Probably depends on the park. Cedar Point made its reputation on its coasters. Mill Force remains highly ranked and very popular. For IoA, I think that a strong dark ride would do more. A ride that takes 5-6 minutes gives good payback on a two hour wait. I get a little irritated at the shorter ride times, although some make it work. FJ doesn't seem that long but it is the right length. Probably depends on the ride type. A powered coaster with some high speed sections mixed with slower scenes would be a great blend.

I think a Hyper would be a good fit for the south property honestly. Hypers are popular at coaster parks. The "your kids are too big for Disney" demographic that Uni is marketing to pack the lines for them at parks across the country. Older kids and teens will ride those before the big inverting coasters. Unless they are going to go total MK demo at the South property, they will likely have at least one big coaster. A hyper that is built into the design of the park would fit that well.

For the DC plot. Notsomuch

One thing to consider, which is has been danced around in this thread, is that a coaster doesn't fit Universal's current design philosophy. Especially in a hyper-themed land such as Nintendo or Harry Potter, an exposed coaster is an immersion breaker whether you see it from the land itself or on ride. This is especially true when you look at the effort to either hide the ride system (as in the case of Forbidden Journey) or to integrate into the story (as with Gringott's).

One thing to consider, which is has been danced around in this thread, is that a coaster doesn't fit Universal's current design philosophy. Especially in a hyper-themed land such as Nintendo or Harry Potter, an exposed coaster is an immersion breaker whether you see it from the land itself or on ride. This is especially true when you look at the effort to either hide the ride system (as in the case of Forbidden Journey) or to integrate into the story (as with Gringott's).
WELCOME to the Forum. :thumbsup::cheers:

Reactions: Quartz

Makes sense to me, but if this 'thing' were to be in the woods or a forest, I assume they could block the sights with trees, but I can't imagine someone building one of these things just to hide it, plus...who knows what the public would think about riding a coaster they can't see.

They do love to break immersion, just not with coasters anymore haha

That is a Universal thing.

Remember, Disneyphiles proclaimed Hogsmeade an abject failure and pointed and laughed hysterically at the edges of the exposed showbuilding absolutely convinced that it would cause the entire resort to go bankrupt and with tail between their legs, Universal would place the crown on Mickey's head after being so totally neutered by their own incompetence by showing a little show building.

Yes, They have changed their philosophy a great deal in the 15 months since they completely rebuilt Hulk.........

Status
Not open for further replies.