Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hope we get a third one to end the trilogy and maybe form a new team with Mckenna Grace either leading or being apart of it but would not mind the other family members becoming just Cameo's after the next film.

McKenna Grace, Paul Rudd, Kumail Nanjiani and James Acaster would be my pitch for a great 'next generation' team given the set up we currently have. Rudd the smart mouthed leader, Grace the heart, Acaster the technobabble spouting brains and Nanjiani being the hands; each can fit one of those original GB archetypes yet bring their own aspects to the roles.

I'd love to see an adaptation of the comics storyline where the gang has to face off against a rival upstart organization that steals equipment schematics and bastardizes it to the point where they create a world ending threat but an entirely new other team runs in the possibility that you have too many characters yet again so I'm not sure. Perhaps it'd work if it was just a more singular 'Elon Musk' type who buys his way into the equipment and has no idea what he's doing with it.

One of the biggest problems I think the franchise is currently facing is that they're quite literally stuck in the bad catch-22 that is shelling nostalgia. They've created a great cast of new characters but I think they're deftly afraid of making a new movie if it doesn't have good stake of the original characters or story in it. I can understand why and I don't think it'll happen at this point but a new GB movie that is fine with shedding Stantz, Venkman, Zeddemore, Janine, Peck, etc outside of very minor cameos could have such a great width to spread its wings. I love GB, I love the original film, I have the logo tattooed on my arm but I'd be fine with a new GB movie that has Venkman on vacation, Zeddemore doing business in Europe and Stantz in a minor cameo role where he bigs up how bad this could be and gets to say funny nonsense for a scene.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
McKenna Grace, Paul Rudd, Kumail Nanjiani and James Acaster would be my pitch for a great 'next generation' team given the set up we currently have. Rudd the smart mouthed leader, Grace the heart, Acaster the technobabble spouting brains and Nanjiani being the hands; each can fit one of those original GB archetypes yet bring their own aspects to the roles.

I'd love to see an adaptation of the comics storyline where the gang has to face off against a rival upstart organization that steals equipment schematics and bastardizes it to the point where they create a world ending threat but an entirely new other team runs in the possibility that you have too many characters yet again so I'm not sure. Perhaps it'd work if it was just a more singular 'Elon Musk' type who buys his way into the equipment and has no idea what he's doing with it.

One of the biggest problems I think the franchise is currently facing is that they're quite literally stuck in the bad catch-22 that is shelling nostalgia. They've created a great cast of new characters but I think they're deftly afraid of making a new movie if it doesn't have good stake of the original characters or story in it. I can understand why and I don't think it'll happen at this point but a new GB movie that is fine with shedding Stantz, Venkman, Zeddemore, Janine, Peck, etc outside of very minor cameos could have such a great width to spread its wings. I love GB, I love the original film, I have the logo tattooed on my arm but I'd be fine with a new GB movie that has Venkman on vacation, Zeddemore doing business in Europe and Stantz in a minor cameo role where he bigs up how bad this could be and gets to say funny nonsense for a scene.
i remember that some fans said that we needed the cast from 2016 movie back, to combine the movie casts
what if there's a multiverse rip in space and the other team is the 2016 team. then they could have done something to disrupt the multiverse.
maybe not a team stealing anything but just rivalry between teams

I like the 2016 film but I do think it's best served as remaining its own universe deal. Nor do I really think anyone would outright rush to the idea that bringing in that crew is going to do push the franchise forward.

Which brings up another problem, its very hard to come up with a truly compelling GB script idea. The original works so well, so cleverly, because its a movie about smart friends starting their own business. Part 2 works fine because its' essentially just a re-telling of the same story, they just already have the business but it's practically nonexistent. 2016 is yet another 'starting the team' story when it should have been about the characters relationships more in depthly. Afterlife works well enough because it deals with ideas of legacy. Frozen Empire is overstuffed and is essentially a big budget adaptation of a ghost-of-the-week episode of the cartoon show.

Where do you take the story that isn't something super simple like a Marvel-esque 'giant ghost is going to end the world' story yet doesn't get too abstract from the light hearted fun and slacker nature of what GB should be? That's why I'd present a Musk type villain as a way to do an us versus the establishment style story. A story about the dangers of technology in the wrong hands.