Godzilla Ride? | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Godzilla Ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This Ride will never happen so can we close this thread.

We don't have any proof that it will or won't happen... and why close the thread just because it might not happen? Aside from Diagon spoilers, there's nothing else to talk about for USF :lol: Frankly, I want to keep myself out of the loop with HE and Gringotts, along with the details, etc. I don't want my expectations to be through the roof.

This thread isn't hurting anyone, and if this and KidZone thread were closed, I'd pretty much stop even reading the Universal Studios Florida section of the site.

No reason to close it until we can officially confirm Godzirrah isn't happening

I do agree that they have a few family-friendly rides (Spidey and Popeye), but the rest aren't something a little kid would usually clamor to do :lol: but really if you're under 42", you're not going to ride that much at IOA. and there's also adults who either don't like thrill rides or can't ride them, but love the theming. A few all-ages dark rides wouldn't hurt IOA's bottom line.

But I definitely think the park lacks enough attractions that everyone can do together. IOA could use its own POTC, its own HM, its own Big Thunder, its own Space, etc. Right now, there's 3 truly family-friendly rides (not just kiddie, but not just teen/adult) - Spidey, Popeye, and Cat. The rest either have high height requirements or wouldn't exactly entice a 5-6 yr old to go on (looking at JPRA)

A family dark ride and show in the front area of Toon Lagoon (potentially a unique flat, too)
Kong E-ticket between Toon and JP
A family coaster and Discovery Center dark ride for JP
Wonka replacing Lost Continent (the glass elevator E-ticket and chocolate factory family boat ride had me sold... better than what's there currently)
Seuss getting a much-needed expansion (plot next to Cat and maybe a couple repossessed soundstages from USF - Lorax dark ride, Grinch "big boy ride". and yearround show)

IOA shouldn't focus on primarily thrills, just like MK shouldn't focus on primarily kids. MK needs some E-tickets and thrill rides (immersively themed, of course) while IOA needs some more family attractions to start developing that nostalgia with its young guests. Both would do well to balance their parks out to provide an enjoyable experience for everyone.

But... :focus: Toho would be doing itself a favor by letting Godzilla get an attraction. Seriously, aside from the Godzilla film this year, what have they even done substantially with the IP since 1998?

More importantly, these two attractions need to be reworked...
Cat and Seuss Trolley. Both need some hefty upgrades and tinkering so Cat can be all-ages again (36" for a dark ride that would have no height requirement at Disney is just sad... rework the scenes so spinning isn't necessary to take in the story) and Seuss Trolley can go back to a 34" height requirement. It just shouldn't have the same height requirement as Spidey :lol:

IOA is getting a slow moving ride without much of a height requirement in Kong. It's scare factor may keep younger kids off, but people complain about the height requirements more than anything. I'm all for Universal adding some stuff for younger kids to do here and there (Twirl-n-Hurl comes to mind), but the whole family thing is overblown to me. Families whose kids are over the age of 8 are more likely to enjoy Universal than Disney, IMO. We're really talking about catering to the young child audience and Universal will never beat Disney at that game. I'd like them to continue focusing on being their own empire for an older population than try and go all out with family dark rides to show everyone they can be like Disney. I do agree with Seuss getting another ride and obviously that would be more young child friendly, but other than that I'd like Universal to keep doing what makes them successful.

I'm like a stripper with a child. My heart belongs to the kid(universal)but my body is community property(any other park). Is toho really that hard to convince for a theme park ride? They let Americans make a godzilla movie I don't see the problem

Your analogies keep getting weirder and weirder haha

IOA is getting a slow moving ride without much of a height requirement in Kong. It's scare factor may keep younger kids off, but people complain about the height requirements more than anything. I'm all for Universal adding some stuff for younger kids to do here and there (Twirl-n-Hurl comes to mind), but the whole family thing is overblown to me. Families whose kids are over the age of 8 are more likely to enjoy Universal than Disney, IMO. We're really talking about catering to the young child audience and Universal will never beat Disney at that game. I'd like them to continue focusing on being their own empire for an older population than try and go all out with family dark rides to show everyone they can be like Disney. I do agree with Seuss getting another ride and obviously that would be more young child friendly, but other than that I'd like Universal to keep doing what makes them successful.

But spinners are mainly JUST for little kids. I'm not saying explicitly kid friendly. POTC, HM, SSE, Mystic Manor and GMR - none of those aim for kids. They just tell great stories. Kong is a great addition! But IOA shouldn't be just fast moving. Not all adults want high adrenaline attractions all day long :lol: Toon Lagoon has two fairly thrilling water rides so need for a water coaster, for example. The area could use a dark ride and show (front area could hold both if they bulldoze it). JP is a place where I wouldn't mind a high-adrenaline flying coaster... not at the top of IOA's needs since they've got 3 thrill coasters (each DC track as separate). Discovery Center is perfect for a dark ride. Another one in Seuss, a family boat ride for the LC replacement... they're set.

It seems like you think spinners and carousels are the only things kids under 8 should get... for the record, a lot of adults hate thrill rides but LOVE the theming of IOA. IOA needs variety, not just a huge slate of thrill machines and kiddie rides. It narrows the park's potential appeal. Dark rides aren't just for little kids... and they don't have to spin and dive in order to appeal to adults.

But spinners are mainly JUST for little kids. I'm not saying explicitly kid friendly. POTC, HM, SSE, Mystic Manor and GMR - none of those aim for kids. They just tell great stories. Kong is a great addition! But IOA shouldn't be just fast moving. Not all adults want high adrenaline attractions all day long :lol: Toon Lagoon has two fairly thrilling water rides so need for a water coaster, for example. The area could use a dark ride and show (front area could hold both if they bulldoze it). JP is a place where I wouldn't mind a high-adrenaline flying coaster... not at the top of IOA's needs since they've got 3 thrill coasters (each DC track as separate). Discovery Center is perfect for a dark ride. Another one in Seuss, a family boat ride for the LC replacement... they're set.

It seems like you think spinners and carousels are the only things kids under 8 should get... for the record, a lot of adults hate thrill rides but LOVE the theming of IOA. IOA needs variety, not just a huge slate of thrill machines and kiddie rides. It narrows the park's potential appeal. Dark rides aren't just for little kids... and they don't have to spin and dive in order to appeal to adults.

The majority of rides at Universal are just fine for kids who meet the height requirements. I can see why they wouldn't want the coasters, Doom or even Dudley. But the majority of Universal rides are pretty tame, just compared to Disney they look like thrills. The main issue is not enough appeals to little kids. If your kid is too old for a spinner but is scared of going on a Spider-Man, Transformers, Popeye, Simpsons, CitH, Despicable Me, etc. then you shouldn't be taking them to a park anyways. The whole family friendly thing just gets thrown around way too much and way too loosely IMO. Not every family consists of little kids, and the ones who do are not going to skip Disney for Universal because of a couple dark rides. What Universal does works and they are growing with it, I just don't see the need to go crazy with "family friendly", sure a few dark rides wouldn't hurt (Seuss needs another, Toon Lagoon could use one as long as it follows the water theme but I think that island is doomed sooner than later). But I like Universal reigning supreme as a more mature theme park, and I hope they keep it that way for the most part.

The majority of rides at Universal are just fine for kids who meet the height requirements. I can see why they wouldn't want the coasters, Doom or even Dudley. But the majority of Universal rides are pretty tame, just compared to Disney they look like thrills. The main issue is not enough appeals to little kids. If your kid is too old for a spinner but is scared of going on a Spider-Man, Transformers, Popeye, Simpsons, CitH, Despicable Me, etc. then you shouldn't be taking them to a park anyways. The whole family friendly thing just gets thrown around way too much and way too loosely IMO. Not every family consists of little kids, and the ones who do are not going to skip Disney for Universal because of a couple dark rides. What Universal does works and they are growing with it, I just don't see the need to go crazy with "family friendly", sure a few dark rides wouldn't hurt (Seuss needs another, Toon Lagoon could use one as long as it follows the water theme but I think that island is doomed sooner than later). But I like Universal reigning supreme as a more mature theme park, and I hope they keep it that way for the most part.

Don't forget that Universal attracted that other audience for over 9 years without coaster, fear fall, or any thrill ride. It was only after they did well enough to expand and build another park that they made sure there was something for the thrill seekers to do. But that is definitely not the core audience of these parks. The term family ride does get thrown around a lot, and often misused in place of kiddie ride. But family should only describe something that teens and adults would enjoy. But just as they make sure there was something for the thrill seekers, the kiddies need something to do too. It is not about turning it into a kiddie park, they are no where close to beating Disney there. But rather a well balanced park, so for example if a family that likes Universal for other reasons and they happen to have a little tike as well.

I wasn't saying to go overboard but one for every area except Marvel and Potter would be okay. POTC, HM, SSE... those aren't kiddie, but allows for some big boy rides everyone can enjoy. Coasters are great but IOA already has 3 minimal-theming (DC is only themed in the queue), high octane coasters. I'd like to see Universal add a mid-level themed coaster that tops Big Thunder/Everest and a highly immersive indoor coaster that tops Space, Mummy and RnRC.

I agree that little kids shouldn't be the target demo, but neither should teens/adults

40"-48" is the crowd IOA should shoot for - a step above Disney in the thrills department. A few family dark rides (2 in Seuss, 1 in Toon, 1 in JP) and family coasters (Grinch and JP), some kiddie rides here and there, some thrill coasters (Hulk, DC, potential Dudley replacement) as the icing on the cake.

50/50 division is what Universal should strive for. Better than the 75/25 ratio of family and thrills at Disney and better than the 25/75 ratio of family and thrills at regional amusement parks :thumbs:

I wasn't saying to go overboard but one for every area except Marvel and Potter would be okay. POTC, HM, SSE... those aren't kiddie, but allows for some big boy rides everyone can enjoy. Coasters are great but IOA already has 3 minimal-theming (DC is only themed in the queue), high octane coasters. I'd like to see Universal add a mid-level themed coaster that tops Big Thunder/Everest and a highly immersive indoor coaster that tops Space, Mummy and RnRC.

I've not said much about adding coasters. I don't think they need a big thrill machine coaster. You're probably getting your mildly themed "family" coaster in JP at some point anyways, and the island could use it or something else.

I agree that little kids shouldn't be the target demo, but neither should teens/adults

There should be no main target, but the fact Universal can make great themed entertainment that isn't overly kiddie is what makes them special and why people go there rather than Disney.

40"-48" is the crowd IOA should shoot for - a step above Disney in the thrills department. A few family dark rides (2 in Seuss, 1 in Toon, 1 in JP) and family coasters (Grinch and JP), some kiddie rides here and there, some thrill coasters (Hulk, DC, potential Dudley replacement) as the icing on the cake.

50/50 division is what Universal should strive for. Better than the 75/25 ratio of family and thrills at Disney and better than the 25/75 ratio of family and thrills at regional amusement parks :thumbs:

It's pretty close to 50/50 as is, IMO. Certainly closer to 50/50 than Disney. There is plenty of things for a family to do at Universal, maybe not necessarily really young kids but that's why you add smaller attractions like Twirl-n-Hurl. The only rides at UO that I'd consider thrills are Hulk, Dudley, FJ (even though it's constantly being toned down), DC, HRRR and Mummy. Gringotts may apply but who knows, it sounds like a tamer version of Mummy with awesome effects. Obviously 4 of those belong to IOA but the park is already getting Kong, a JP ride geared for a younger audience and likely something at Seuss at some point. A dark ride in TL seems like a good idea, but that island is going to be old news so it isn't worth discussing IMO. It really doesn't need much more than that, IOA made it's name and became popular on the basis that it was a theme park that offered more thrills than the average theme park and while it's likely getting a few new "family" additions it's probably going to stay that way.

I've not said much about adding coasters. I don't think they need a big thrill machine coaster. You're probably getting your mildly themed "family" coaster in JP at some point anyways, and the island could use it or something else.

There should be no main target, but the fact Universal can make great themed entertainment that isn't overly kiddie is what makes them special and why people go there rather than Disney.

It's pretty close to 50/50 as is, IMO. Certainly closer to 50/50 than Disney. There is plenty of things for a family to do at Universal, maybe not necessarily really young kids but that's why you add smaller attractions like Twirl-n-Hurl. The only rides at UO that I'd consider thrills are Hulk, Dudley, FJ (even though it's constantly being toned down), DC, HRRR and Mummy. Gringotts may apply but who knows, it sounds like a tamer version of Mummy with awesome effects. Obviously 4 of those belong to IOA but the park is already getting Kong, a JP ride geared for a younger audience and likely something at Seuss at some point. A dark ride in TL seems like a good idea, but that island is going to be old news so it isn't worth discussing IMO. It really doesn't need much more than that, IOA made it's name and became popular on the basis that it was a theme park that offered more thrills than the average theme park and while it's likely getting a few new "family" additions it's probably going to stay that way.

Agreed. Universal does skew older and shouldn't try to follow the Disney model.

Flat rides aren't really the answer - they should be used only if there's no space for a bigger attraction. and you're forgetting one group - adults that love the theming of IOA but hate thrill rides. And again, just because a ride doesn't have a 50 foot drop or spin you around doesnt make it kiddie. Kongfrontation, E.T., POTC, HM, SSE, Horizons, World of Motion, original Journey Into Imagination, Adventures Through Inner Space, Mystic Manor and GMR aren't what I'd call kid attractions. Generally an even mixture of families and adults went on those. Little Mermaid and Toy Story Mania are what I'd call kiddie dark rides.

I also agree that young kids probably have no reason to be at IOA. But spinners and carousels all day long would get annoying if you have one toddler/preschooler but the rest of the brood is the 8 and up crowd that frequents Universal.

Nothing wrong with mid level coasters, either. Space Mountain isn't exactly a "family" coaster the same way Big Thunder is. I'd love to see Universal build their own show stopping mountains (Mt Crumpet and Mt. Doom... just yes :lol:) that put Disney to shame (equalling or surpassing Mt. Prometheus at DisneySea would be amazing). Even a coaster with a thrill level of Hulk and the theming of FJ/Gringotts would be a great asset.

And Doom is a thrill ride despite the short length :p 52" height requirement. Mummy is a thrill ride, too.. can't see Disney doing something similar. But I agre that Universal isn't as extreme as some people make them out to be.

44"-54" is thrills, generally speaking. You can do 75-80% of Uni without going on extreme rides. But a few dark rides to develop the nostalgia for IOA and USF that Disney receives due to its would help it grow as a park and broaden its appeal beyond the wrong assumption that "there's NOTHING for kids to do". Spidey, Popeye, Cat, Seuss Trolley, soon to be Kong, HE, even JPRA if your kids are brave... add in the shows, the kiddie rides and Camp Jurassic, you could easily spend a full day at IOA once they reach the age of 5 or 6.

Agreed. Universal does skew older and shouldn't try to follow the Disney model.

Flat rides aren't really the answer - they should be used only if there's no space for a bigger attraction. and you're forgetting one group - adults that love the theming of IOA but hate thrill rides. And again, just because a ride doesn't have a 50 foot drop or spin you around doesnt make it kiddie. Kongfrontation, E.T., POTC, HM, SSE, Horizons, World of Motion, original Journey Into Imagination, Adventures Through Inner Space, Mystic Manor and GMR aren't what I'd call kid attractions. Generally an even mixture of families and adults went on those. Little Mermaid and Toy Story Mania are what I'd call kiddie dark rides.

I'm not against dark rides in general, but a Seuss or Toon Lagoon one like you suggest would probably lean towards kiddie. Btw, I consider E.T. a kid ride. Older people can enjoy it too, but it's more towards the kiddie side than Kongfrontation, POTC, HM, Mystic Manor, etc.

Nothing wrong with mid level coasters, either. Space Mountain isn't exactly a "family" coaster the same way Big Thunder is. I'd love to see Universal build their own show stopping mountains (Mt Crumpet and Mt. Doom... just yes :lol:) that put Disney to shame (equalling or surpassing Mt. Prometheus at DisneySea would be amazing). Even a coaster with a thrill level of Hulk and the theming of FJ/Gringotts would be a great asset.

I'm not sure a Universal mountain is a good idea, too many people would pull out the "ripping off Disney" card. I don't see Crumpet ever happening, I keep hearing about it but I've not heard anything concrete about Universal seriously considering it. I don't really like the idea of a Hulk type coaster with top of the line theming either, it's really hard to make it work and it's likely a waste of money for a ride that goes really fast.

And Doom is a thrill ride despite the short length :p 52" height requirement. Mummy is a thrill ride, too.. can't see Disney doing something similar. But I agre that Universal isn't as extreme as some people make them out to be.

I actually forgot to list Doom, it's clearly a thrill ride. I did list Mummy as a thrill ride though. I'm glad we can at least agree on Universal's "thrills" being overblown. I'm tired of people claiming it is nothing more than a Six Flags with some better theming.

44"-54" is thrills, generally speaking. You can do 75-80% of Uni without going on extreme rides. But a few dark rides to develop the nostalgia for IOA and USF that Disney receives due to its would help it grow as a park and broaden its appeal beyond the wrong assumption that "there's NOTHING for kids to do". Spidey, Popeye, Cat, Seuss Trolley, soon to be Kong, HE, even JPRA if your kids are brave... add in the shows, the kiddie rides and Camp Jurassic, you could easily spend a full day at IOA once they reach the age of 5 or 6.

I think IOA could use one more dark ride and that's it really. Seuss will probably end up with one at some point (even though Lorax appears to be dead), or whatever IP replaces LC. The park already has Spider-Man, Cat in the Hat and FJ (though it more thrilling than your average dark ride) as dark rides. Plus you could consider JPRA to be one as well, certain parts of Dudley are dark ride-like, even though it sucks lol.

I am all for diversity, but still, I hope Universal will do something for thrill seekers again and put up a great coaster. Anyway, sorry for going off topic :)

so It was just revealed that Pacific Rim 2 and a cartoon based on the movies are being green lit, and there is speculation that Universal might get involved with Legendary on this Project.

I know this is way too early to talk about, But what if Uni brought Pacific Rim into the parks? what if instead of Godzilla they went with a PR ride?
just a thought.

I'm not against dark rides in general, but a Seuss or Toon Lagoon one like you suggest would probably lean towards kiddie. Btw, I consider E.T. a kid ride. Older people can enjoy it too, but it's more towards the kiddie side than Kongfrontation, POTC, HM, Mystic Manor, etc.

I'm not sure a Universal mountain is a good idea, too many people would pull out the "ripping off Disney" card. I don't see Crumpet ever happening, I keep hearing about it but I've not heard anything concrete about Universal seriously considering it. I don't really like the idea of a Hulk type coaster with top of the line theming either, it's really hard to make it work and it's likely a waste of money for a ride that goes really fast.

I actually forgot to list Doom, it's clearly a thrill ride. I did list Mummy as a thrill ride though. I'm glad we can at least agree on Universal's "thrills" being overblown. I'm tired of people claiming it is nothing more than a Six Flags with some better theming.

I think IOA could use one more dark ride and that's it really. Seuss will probably end up with one at some point (even though Lorax appears to be dead), or whatever IP replaces LC. The park already has Spider-Man, Cat in the Hat and FJ (though it more thrilling than your average dark ride) as dark rides. Plus you could consider JPRA to be one as well, certain parts of Dudley are dark ride-like, even though it sucks lol.

I so disagree with majority of your opinions in this post. But ehh..

- - - Updated - - -

If this happens it needs to be a different ride story from Transformers/Spiderman

For what its worth, I've gotten word that the store at the exit of T2 now sell shirts with the Legendary Pictures logo. I hate how nerdy this site has made me :lol: