Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 96 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

To its credit, this ride does seem to have some pieces of the Epcot the fans want in it.

But I think it’s funny when certain fanatical “pixie dusters” (including one in particular who really loves Starbucks) have maintained that Disney wouldn’t develop the same “screenz” problem Universal has had. I don’t mean to play along with the “sports rivalry” narrative, mind you—I love all of Central FL’s “Big Three.”

Last edited:
To its credit, this ride does seem to have some pieces of the Epcot the fans want in it.

But I think it’s funny when certain fanatical “pixie dusters” (including one in particular who really loves Starbucks) have maintained that Disney wouldn’t develop the same “screenz” problem Universal has had. I don’t mean to play along with the “sports rivalry” narrative, mind you—I love all of Central FL’s “Big Three.”
Disney doesn't really have a screenz issue that can't be rectified. It's pretty much DHS that is becoming a bit too screen-centric. Some people will argue Epcot has a problem, but I just don't see it when I visit. Most rides are practical based (although if they'd like to replace M:S, I say go for it).

I should clarify that I personally don't think "screenz" are a problem. My issue isn't with screens themselves. it's when you have too many of the same attraction in one park. Simulators cause this problem the easiest because you're just sitting in front of a screen (or moving in front of a bunch of screens), so it makes the experience feel a bit same-y. But just using screens is not an issue. It's more how they are used than anything.

Disney doesn't really have a screenz issue that can't be rectified. It's pretty much DHS that is becoming a bit too screen-centric. Some people will argue Epcot has a problem, but I just don't see it when I visit. Most rides are practical based (although if they'd like to replace M:S, I say go for it).

I should clarify that I personally don't think "screenz" are a problem. My issue isn't with screens themselves. it's when you have too many of the same attraction in one park. Simulators cause this problem the easiest because you're just sitting in front of a screen (or moving in front of a bunch of screens), so it makes the experience feel a bit same-y. But just using screens is not an issue. It's more how they are used than anything.

Maybe. Like I said it depends on what you count as a screen attraction (i.e. shows), which can vary from person to person. For many rides at both Disney and Universal it’s very much a spectrum. At Epcot, Soarin and MS are pure simulators, and Rat will be very screen based. It has a lot of “movie” shows as well. But yeah, Epcot does a good job at feeling like it has enough practical rides.

So the parks in CF that really have a “screenz” problem are both named Studios.

Last edited:
Does it, though? I don't think we know enough of the particulars to say such a thing yet.

But I hope you're right.
Supposedly this ride was originally pitched as simply a Big Bang ride before the GotG IP got attached. So it does have some inklings of wanting to stay on the UoE theme, at the very least. Or it did.

Supposedly this ride was originally pitched as simply a Big Bang ride before the GotG IP got attached. So it does have some inklings of wanting to stay on the UoE theme, at the very least. Or it did.

I've heard similar, but based on the way devoted Epcot fans like Martin have characterized this project, it doesn't sound like we should be expecting anything even approaching "edutainment" or a salute to human endeavors and aspirations.

I could have sworn I remember them planning a coaster themed around time back in day, but for SSE

This seems like the third draft of that

I've heard similar, but based on the way devoted Epcot fans like Martin have characterized this project, it doesn't sound like we should be expecting anything even approaching "edutainment" or a salute to human endeavors and aspirations.
Correct.

When this was “just” a Big Bang coaster, the plan for Future World was much truer to the original Epcot vision.

Then Bob C showed up and slapped IP on the coaster, and then slapped more IP on the overall vision. Pretty much the only surviving part of the latter is the fact that there’s a coaster that will jump around through the origins of the universe. And technically the round ride of sorts that was to be themed to Mary Poppins, until the plug got pulled on that afaik.

Reactions: belloq87
Right, the GP laps that **** up.

But if you’re actually an Epcot purist and not the GP or a YouTuber hopped up on limited edition cupcake frosting ready to flog the next thing Mickey wants you to tell people about, it’s a bummer that we got this instead of that. Or whatever is left of this.
The Millenium Celebration was Epcot 1.0's farewell tour as far as I'm concerned

Right, the GP laps that **** up.

But if you’re actually an Epcot purist and not the GP or a YouTuber hopped up on limited edition cupcake frosting ready to flog the next thing Mickey wants you to tell people about, it’s a bummer that we got this instead of that. Or whatever is left of this.
I don't know, I feel like if I was an Epcot purist I would just seek out stuff in the world that appealed to those same tastes rather than obssessing over the ideological purity of something that will never attain its former identity again.

EDIT: Also, what is it with people and cupcakes? Did I miss some cupcake-related PR disaster?

I don't know, I feel like if I was an Epcot purist I would just seek out stuff in the world that appealed to those same tastes rather than obssessing over the ideological purity of something that will never attain its former identity again.

EDIT: Also, what is it with people and cupcakes? Did I miss some cupcake-related PR disaster?
Innoventions had phones with video screens in them...you don't just find that anywhere

There is no substitute for classic EPCOT in the theme park world.

What year is it generally agreed upon that Epcot started to go downhill?

I'm just curious because I feel I'm in tweener territory on this. My "classic Epcot" is Test Track 1.0 and Ellen's Energy Adventure, to give you an idea. Horizons and JITI 1.0 were before my time. My favorite ride at Epcot is definitely Living With the Land...so clearly I like that "classic Epcot" feel. Yet, provided they fit with the theme fo the pavilion, I don't mind the use of IPs to an extent. I would love Inside Out and Coco takeovers of Magic Eye Theater and Gran Fiesta Tour respectively. I think where they seem to be going too far is taking away any cohesion.

Reactions: belloq87
What year is it generally agreed upon that Epcot started to go downhill?

I'm just curious because I feel I'm in tweener territory on this. My "classic Epcot" is Test Track 1.0 and Ellen's Energy Adventure, to give you an idea. Horizons and JITI 1.0 were before my time. My favorite ride at Epcot is definitely Living With the Land...so clearly I like that "classic Epcot" feel. Yet, provided they fit with the theme fo the pavilion, I don't mind the use of IPs to an extent. I would love Inside Out and Coco takeovers of Magic Eye Theater and Gran Fiesta Tour respectively. I think where they seem to be going too far is taking away any cohesion.

I consider "my" classic Epcot to basically be 1991 to 2000. My first few trips still had all the major Future World dark rides, but the second half of the 1990s saw things start to transition.

2000 to 2015 saw some good additions and some middling ones (and a lot of years of nothing happening), but none of the changes really altered the fundamental DNA of the park.

2016 is where it truly falls apart and any attempt to adhere to the park's identity gets tossed by the wayside.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I consider "my" classic Epcot to basically be 1991 to 2000. My first few trips still had all the major Future World dark rides, but the second half of the 1990s saw things start to transition.

2000 to 2015 saw some good additions and some middling ones, but none of the changes really altered the fundamental DNA of the park.

2016 is where it truly falls apart and any attempt to adhere to the park's identity get tossed by the wayside.

So FEA was your breaking point? Personally, I didn't HATE the idea of a Scandinavian fairy tale being used (for sheer variety reasons, I actually prefer it go there than in FLE).

Last edited: