Hackers hold Pirates 5 for ransom | Inside Universal Forums

Hackers hold Pirates 5 for ransom

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I could care less about this franchise, and I really don't think it will "stop" most audiences that watch these films from seeing it the theater. If Disney pays the ransom, it just causes more and more problems for studios in the future. Now if they had gotten a hold of Star Wars...well that would have been a much bigger problem due to how secretive the franchise is.

I could care less about this franchise, and I really don't think it will "stop" most audiences that watch these films from seeing it the theater. If Disney pays the ransom, it just causes more and more problems for studios in the future. Now if they had gotten a hold of Star Wars...well that would have been a much bigger problem due to how secretive the franchise is.

Bob Iger does not negotiate with terrorists.

A similar threat was held against Apple and wiping iPhones. They said they didn't pay but the hackers claimed someone did.

My guess is Disney doesn't pay, hackers don't release film and show "proof" Disney paid them. Makes hackers look more powerful and more leverage for future blackmail/extortion.

Reactions: Joel and jtsalien
A similar threat was held against Apple and wiping iPhones. They said they didn't pay but the hackers claimed someone did.

My guess is Disney doesn't pay, hackers don't release film and show "proof" Disney paid them. Makes hackers look more powerful and more leverage for future blackmail/extortion.
A similar threat was also made against Netflix and Orange is the new black, Netflix didn't pay and they released the whole season. So it has happened, and recently

Nobody wants to set precedent by paying ransom.

Disney's done the math on this. Some small amount of people will pirate the movie instead of buying tickets. Some even smaller amount of those people will then be sued by the MPAA (or whoever sues these people on behalf of Disney) and Disney will receive a lot of money from each of them. That settlement money will make up for any ticket sale losses.

I think this only works if they're not editing digitally.
Everything is edited digitally (except for a few very rare instances) wether it's film or video. I know these high end editing houses and studios use networked servers, but I can't understand why they would have these tied to an outside connection. In any case I have a feeling they're going to start locking down these editing systems to eliminate any possibility of this happening.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Everything is edited digitally (except for a few very rare instances) wether it's film or video. I know these high end editing houses and studios use networked servers, but I can't understand why they would have these tied to an outside connection. In any case I have a feeling they're going to start locking down these editing systems to eliminate any possibility of this happening.
A lot of these companies are starting to play around with rendering in the cloud. Back in the older days, places like Pixar would have a giant data center in their office for rendering. If you render in the cloud, you have to pay strict attention to security. Smaller companies don't have the resources or knowledge to do this well.

Reactions: s8film40
A lot of these companies are starting to play around with rendering in the cloud. Back in the older days, places like Pixar would have a giant data center in their office for rendering. If you render in the cloud, you have to pay strict attention to security. Smaller companies don't have the resources or knowledge to do this well.
I would think it would be fairly easy to have all this stuff done on networks with no outside connection. At least now with the threat of losing millions of dollars it seems pretty sensible, assuming this isn't what they are already doing.

Much of motion picture editing revolves around edit decision lists, which makes transferring files even in exposed networks pretty easy since it's just a string of useless numbers without the original camera footage.