Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If I remember correctly, I think it was mentioned that due to changes to the final cut of Insidious 4, there were somethings in the maze that are no longer in the movie. That also seemed interesting in regards to the addition of the previous 3 films.

That would also make sense. It'd explain why that cool tunnel sequence wasn't in the maze. But if I recall correctly, I think that the children's bedroom at least was actually in Orlando's Blumhouse maze, which suggests to me that they couldn't get to it.

If we get Insidious 4.0 just so they can do it right like they should’ve last year, I’ll be pretty mad. If that’s the case, that will mean we will have had this four times within six years. I’m fed up with rehashing properties multiple times that end up with mostly black walls. They had their chance, and they blew it...hard.

I don’t want to see ANYTHING come back this year. We better not see NoES over here either because heaven knows how many times we’ve had that. It’s time for a clean slate.

I will say I’m thrilled to hear The Conjuring suit got settled. Bring it!

If we get Insidious 4.0 just so they can do it right like they should’ve last year, I’ll be pretty mad. If that’s the case, that will mean we will have had this four times within six years. I’m fed up with rehashing properties multiple times that end up with mostly black walls. They had their chance, and they blew it...hard.

I don’t want to see ANYTHING come back this year. We better not see NoES over here either because heaven knows how many times we’ve had that. It’s time for a clean slate.

I will say I’m thrilled to hear The Conjuring suit got settled. Bring it!

Preaching to the choir here, my friend. I wouldn't be thrilled by Insidious: the Furthering either. Just noting how last year must've sucked for that maze in particular.

I’m hoping our “classic” Property this year is The Thing. It’s expensive but it’d be so cool and seems made for the Mummy Queue venue.

Edit: There’s no chance in hell Insidious is coming next year, they did it last year and it seems redundant and pointless to do it again since they just did Chp 4. Let The Conjuring have it’s moment please

Honestly if the CM are represented next year, that'll fill the "Classic" Property in full stride. Not to mention, it'd be a cheaper outlet as opposed to Thing, as you wouldn't need to really do puppets.

Honestly if the CM are represented next year, that'll fill the "Classic" Property in full stride. Not to mention, it'd be a cheaper outlet as opposed to Thing, as you wouldn't need to really do puppets.

I get it, plus realistically Stranger Things will be our puppet maze to have the Demodogs. Classic monster maze seems good too, just hope The Thing can come eventually

Edit: There’s no chance in hell Insidious is coming next year, they did it last year and it seems redundant and pointless to do it again since they just did Chp 4. Let The Conjuring have it’s moment please

If you had told me last year at this time that we'd have two ToT based mazes in the same year, I would've said it was redundant and pointless. But it happened anyway. Its seems "redundant" is not a high factor in considering mazes.

I personally wouldn't want to see another Insidious maze either, but wasn't it still #1 ranked maze just this past year? Seems the GP certainly aren't tired of it.

Well, obviously Scream has some appeal left in it, that crappy TV series somehow managed to get renewed for three friggin' seasons.

I think you misunderstand me. What I'm saying is that TWC is probably going to auction off its individual franchises. I don't think a studio is just gonna outright buy them; that'd be, as you said, a waste of money. But buying Scream and Hellraiser? Two franchises with major name recognition? TWC is going down, they can probably get it at a bargain. If House of Wax can somehow make $70.2 million at the box office, then a couple of properly marketed Scream or Hellraiser movies can make hundreds of millions. Scream 4, the lowest grossing in the series, almost made $100 million at the worldwide box office.

And also, I'd personally argue that Universals isn't really in a leading position for horror right now. Sure, they had Get Out and Split, but it's a competitive market; WB is eating everyone else's lunch with IT and The Conjuring universe, and Lionsgate has a pretty decently successful saw movie on their hands (Jigsaw reached $100 million at the WW box office, which is insane given its tiny opening weekend). Acquiring a proven franchise gives them a bit of stability in case their big bets fall through. Plus, most of Uni's biggest horror films were made by Blumhouse and only distributed by Uni; I think that Uni would want a big, proven franchise to hold on to in case their deal with Blumhouse falls through in the future.

I'm not misunderstanding you though and I get what you're saying, but it only makes sense if they want to trade something with. A few popular IPs aren't going to cut it. Companies like to buy the entire things that add something value for. Disney is getting Fox because they want to add content to its streaming service and Comcast bought DreamWorks Animation in order to launch its Universal Kids Television to compete with CN, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel. What kind of values does a Weinstein Company offer regarding its assets? As you said, it's a waste of money and Weinstein Company is looking for a new buyer and to tell u the truth, it's not gonna be Comcast. It would be nice, but I don't see it worth offering unless there's something valuable about it.

As for the horror movies, I'm not saying Universal is leading, but they've been producing far more horror movies recently in general than Lionsgate and WB, thanks to BlumHouse, many of them are pretty decent or good. Lionsgate's Saw franchise is pretty much taking a dive at the moment and its last film didn't go do well with the critics. Honestly, Universal really needs to use its IPs for HHN mazes and less too much reliance on 3rd party companies with certain exceptions, especially American Horror Story is in danger of being phased out by the Disney/Fox deal.

What else is highly possible for next year's event that's not the properties everyone is expecting/requesting? With all this talk and hype around specific properties, I'm honestly expecting a huge curveball. (Then again when it comes to HHN, that's not an uncommon feeling)

I'm not misunderstanding you though and I get what you're saying, but it only makes sense if they want to trade something with. A few popular IPs aren't going to cut it. Companies like to buy the entire things that add something value for. Disney is getting Fox because they want to add content to its streaming service and Comcast bought DreamWorks Animation in order to launch its Universal Kids Television to compete with CN, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel. What kind of values does a Weinstein Company offer regarding its assets? As you said, it's a waste of money and Weinstein Company is looking for a new buyer and to tell u the truth, it's not gonna be Comcast. It would be nice, but I don't see it worth offering unless there's something valuable about it.

As for the horror movies, I'm not saying Universal is leading, but they've been producing far more horror movies recently in general than Lionsgate and WB, thanks to BlumHouse, many of them are pretty decent or good. Lionsgate's Saw franchise is pretty much taking a dive at the moment and its last film didn't go do well with the critics. Honestly, Universal really needs to use its IPs for HHN mazes and less too much reliance on 3rd party companies with certain exceptions, especially American Horror Story is in danger of being phased out by the Disney/Fox deal.

You have a very good point regarding IP transfers: companies don't usually buy IPs outright, instead focusing on buying subsidiaries or studios. With regards to that, I feel that if a film company wants to buy TWC's horror IPs, they could go the alternate route of buying Dimension Films, which is the subsidiary of TWC that makes Scream and Hellraiser movies, as well as a bunch of other genre films. It could be sold for cheap, as again, TWC is desperate for buyers, and Uni is probably in the best position to buy it, given that the other film studios are probably too distracted at the moment. To wit: WB is dealing with the antitrust suit and JL bombing, Disney-Fox is trying to get the deal through the DoJ and probably doesn't care about small fry like TWC, and Sony and Paramount are broke. Lionsgate could potentially bid up the price, but I believe at the moment they're gearing up to enter the superhero fray with Hellboy and wouldn't want a pricey bidding war with Uni. That doesn't mean Lionsgate can't try to bid for Dimensions, but it's unlikely they'll be able to get it.

I disagree that buying TWC, or at least Dimension Films, doesn't add value to Universals. While it's true that Blumhouse has a good working relationship with Universals (and has made them a pretty penny in the horror market), it doesn't change the fact that Blumhouse is a third-party company that can, at any moment, break off its relationship and get a distribution deal with another company. After all, Blumhouse did start out working with Paramount. While I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, any company as big as Universals is going to have that in the back of their head, that's just the nature of the business. Purchasing Dimension Films will help give Uni a stable of established IPs that they can reliably fall back on just in case they can't do Insidious or The Purge anymore. Put another way, Universals isn't really a name in horror. Blumhouse is. Dimension Films could, potentially, make them a name in horror.

I also don't agree that Saw is in a dive at the moment. While it's true that its opening weekend was somewhat poor, it's grossed an insane amount over time, getting one of the best multipliers in Saw history and making a killing at the international box office. For reference, Scream 4, whose predecessors reliably made $200 million + at the worldwide box office, opened $2 million higher than Jigsaw, but ended up grossing $4 million less. That kind of multiple is unheard of for a Saw film in particular, so they're almost definitely going to up the ante with the next film.

(Side note: I know this might not be the forum to discuss it, but has anyone considered the possibility of Uni possibly buying Blumhouse? I'm not sure if it'd be an attractive investment for a large corporation like Comcast - Blumhouse's model relies on a large number of flops per year - but given their current relationship, I don't think it should be ruled out. It's happened before with Dreamworks, first to Viacom then eventually to Universals. I think Blumhouse is in a good enough place that they don't have to consider selling, however.)

Last edited:
OK, double post, but here goes:

What else is highly possible for next year's event that's not the properties everyone is expecting/requesting? With all this talk and hype around specific properties, I'm honestly expecting a huge curveball. (Then again when it comes to HHN, that's not an uncommon feeling)

Off the top of my head:

- Doing a Licensing agreement with Paramount nets them:

***Friday the 13th
***Suspiria (the guy who did Call Me by Your Name is making a remake with Tilda Swanson, so hopefully it'll be good?)
***Paranormal Activity and Ouija (Horrors of Blumhouse fodder)
***The Ring (ehhhhh?)
***Poltergeist

-HBO

***TALES FROM THE CRYPT
***Lovecraft Country (Jordan Peele of Get Out fame is producing, so it could be cool)
***True Detective (it got pretty messed up at points)

-Showtime

***Masters of Horror
***Penny Dreadful

FX (might as well get it before Disney finishes the contract, right?)

***The Strain
***Scream Queens

Netflix:

***Dark
***Slasher

-Music / rock bands (mostly spitballing here, don't know how the rights are)

***Pink Floyd: The Wall
***The Smiths / Morrissey
***Radiohead
***Slayer
***Metallica

^ For Netflix don't forget Black Mirror

I totally forgot about True Detective! Would be interesting...

If we're mentioning FX shows why has no one brought up X-Files? Honestly perfect for HHN.

I could totally see a maze that, despite focusing on the main alien plot, has some rooms dedicated to some of the more iconic "Monster of the Week" episodes, like Flukeman and that HillBilly cannibal family.

Reactions: chris.g
You have a very good point regarding IP transfers: companies don't usually buy IPs outright, instead focusing on buying subsidiaries or studios. With regards to that, I feel that if a film company wants to buy TWC's horror IPs, they could go the alternate route of buying Dimension Films, which is the subsidiary of TWC that makes Scream and Hellraiser movies, as well as a bunch of other genre films. It could be sold for cheap, as again, TWC is desperate for buyers, and Uni is probably in the best position to buy it, given that the other film studios are probably too distracted at the moment. To wit: WB is dealing with the antitrust suit and JL bombing, Disney-Fox is trying to get the deal through the DoJ and probably doesn't care about small fry like TWC, and Sony and Paramount are broke. Lionsgate could potentially bid up the price, but I believe at the moment they're gearing up to enter the superhero fray with Hellboy and wouldn't want a pricey bidding war with Uni. That doesn't mean Lionsgate can't try to bid for Dimensions, but it's unlikely they'll be able to get it.

I disagree that buying TWC, or at least Dimension Films, doesn't add value to Universals. While it's true that Blumhouse has a good working relationship with Universals (and has made them a pretty penny in the horror market), it doesn't change the fact that Blumhouse is a third-party company that can, at any moment, break off its relationship and get a distribution deal with another company. After all, Blumhouse did start out working with Paramount. While I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, any company as big as Universals is going to have that in the back of their head, that's just the nature of the business. Purchasing Dimension Films will help give Uni a stable of established IPs that they can reliably fall back on just in case they can't do Insidious or The Purge anymore. Put another way, Universals isn't really a name in horror. Blumhouse is. Dimension Films could, potentially, make them a name in horror.

I also don't agree that Saw is in a dive at the moment. While it's true that its opening weekend was somewhat poor, it's grossed an insane amount over time, getting one of the best multipliers in Saw history and making a killing at the international box office. For reference, Scream 4, whose predecessors reliably made $200 million + at the worldwide box office, opened $2 million higher than Jigsaw, but ended up grossing $4 million less. That kind of multiple is unheard of for a Saw film in particular, so they're almost definitely going to up the ante with the next film.

(Side note: I know this might not be the forum to discuss it, but has anyone considered the possibility of Uni possibly buying Blumhouse? I'm not sure if it'd be an attractive investment for a large corporation like Comcast - Blumhouse's model relies on a large number of flops per year - but given their current relationship, I don't think it should be ruled out. It's happened before with Dreamworks, first to Viacom then eventually to Universals. I think Blumhouse is in a good enough place that they don't have to consider selling, however.)

You're probably right. Weinstein Company Bids Due Today – Variety

Assuming what you say is correct, then Universal would easily snatch up their IPs and there wouldn't be as many issues as its parent company Comcast trying to get Fox. However, from the looks of it, a lot of studios and companies are not interested in it.

So I have actually been thinking about this for a while now. With the whole Friary and Graveyard thing it sounds as though Murdy isn't doing a IP but so more a Original Maze Possibly? I kinda thought about it for a while. And I was thinking about it and La llorona has already been done like twice. I know the last tweet has "Property" in there but I still think it counts.

I was actually thinking that Murdy might try and do a Music Maze. Seeing as though this could be his last year he could be trying to do a Music Maze. Like Iron Maiden or Misfits possibly. Seeing as though he has always wanted to do a Iron Maiden or Misfits maze. Thoughts?

So I have actually been thinking about this for a while now. With the whole Friary and Graveyard thing it sounds as though Murdy isn't doing a IP but so more a Original Maze Possibly? I kinda thought about it for a while. And I was thinking about it and La llorona has already been done like twice. I know the last tweet has "Property" in there but I still think it counts.

I was actually thinking that Murdy might try and do a Music Maze. Seeing as though this could be his last year he could be trying to do a Music Maze. Like Iron Maiden or Misfits possibly. Seeing as though he has always wanted to do a Iron Maiden or Misfits maze. Thoughts?

Imagine it was an "Original maze" concept, and it was something very obvious, like an Irish Celtic Banshee themed maze. I'm not against it; I would totally be down for that, even though we all know that when it comes to his tweets or descriptions, it's not that easy to connect themes to attractions in the future.

You're probably right. Weinstein Company Bids Due Today – Variety

Assuming what you say is correct, then Universal would easily snatch up their IPs and there wouldn't be as many issues as its parent company Comcast trying to get Fox. However, from the looks of it, a lot of studios and companies are not interested in it.

Interesting, but considering the article, I actually don't think Universals or possibly even Lionsgate is trying to get TWC at this moment. Which is surprising, because I thought Dimension Films would've been enticement enough to shell out ~$300 million. There could be a variety of reasons for this; maybe Comcast feels TWC is too toxic a label, or maybe Bob Weinstein is planning to spin off Dimension Films as a separate company. Still though, this news makes me feel that we won't be getting Hellraiser or Scream anytime soon.

Imagine it was an "Original maze" concept, and it was something very obvious, like an Irish Celtic Banshee themed maze. I'm not against it; I would totally be down for that, even though we all know that when it comes to his tweets or descriptions, it's not that easy to connect themes to attractions in the future.

Actually, Celtic mythology can get pretty screwed up at times. I'm totally down with a maze that features the Dullahan or Abhartach. One's the headless horseman with a carriage made of corpses and a whip made of human spines, the other is Irish Dracula. Hell, we could probably get away with making that the Universal Monster Maze.

^ For Netflix don't forget Black Mirror

I totally forgot about True Detective! Would be interesting...

If we're mentioning FX shows why has no one brought up X-Files? Honestly perfect for HHN.

You know I was thinking about how cool it would be if they were able to tackle Black Mirror but i didnt want to sound stupid lol. Granted, there are really only a few episodes you’d be able to use.

Reactions: chris.g
Interesting, but considering the article, I actually don't think Universals or possibly even Lionsgate is trying to get TWC at this moment. Which is surprising, because I thought Dimension Films would've been enticement enough to shell out ~$300 million. There could be a variety of reasons for this; maybe Comcast feels TWC is too toxic a label, or maybe Bob Weinstein is planning to spin off Dimension Films as a separate company. Still though, this news makes me feel that we won't be getting Hellraiser or Scream anytime soon.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I don't think Universal values Weinstein Company's assets as much as 20th Century Fox. Comcast wanted 20th Century Fox because they lack the adult-animation department and TV animation in general (CN and Nick are currently struggling while Disney Channel and Disney XD are striving thanks to Marvel, Lucasfilm, and recent shows based off Disney's animated shows). Plus, it's a nice addition to 20th Century Fox's parent company's international assets, which Comcast also lacks in that kind of field as well. Weinstein Company offers little value in comparison and it's not going to be a major company that's gonna buy their assets.

Got a HHN related Christmas gift...

Orlando’s The Ifrit confirmed that IT will be coming to their park next year, meaning it will most likely be shared with us. He also posted a tweet about the Classic Monsters, which could mean HHNManics theory was right. Next year already has a better lineup than this year in my opinion.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts