Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time, several of us have always wanted HHN to focus a bit more on originals than IPs. Maybe with the two originals doing so well last year and now all of this going on, this may be the push to finally get them to do more originals.

As I said...it’s like someone found a monkey’s paw. And not the Jordan Peele kind.

I really hope we don't see an increase in originals. It's just not something HHN Hollywood—a horror event on a film/tv studio lot famous for making horror films and television—should be doing. And I really push back against the idea that originals allow you to be more creative in budget cuts. That might be true if HHN Hollywood could execute originals, but they don't have a great track record -- GSATs be damned. I mean, just to use the more recent examples: Holidayz in Hell was just a retread of the previous scare zone that didn't introduce any new concepts or themes, and it barely had any updated visuals; Pandora's was literally a bunch of old sets and familiar props used in more or less the same iterations as before (at some points, I felt like I had traveled back in time to Clowns 3D, another extremely dumb original), they were just wrapped around a new narrative and bathed in a ton of UV light.

My overall point: not a lot of creativity there, and that was a year that didn't see anywhere near the complications this year will see. If it winds up being that we get predominately more originals this year because of COVID, I would understand. I'll keep an open mind and just feel grateful that we get to enjoy HHN, period. But more originals should not be the direction this event takes.

I really hope we don't see an increase in originals. It's just not something HHN Hollywood—a horror event on a film/tv studio lot famous for making horror films and television—should be doing. And I really push back against the idea that originals allow you to be more creative in budget cuts. That might be true if HHN Hollywood could execute originals, but they don't have a great track record -- GSATs be damned. I mean, just to use the more recent examples: Holidayz in Hell was just a retread of the previous scare zone that didn't introduce any new concepts or themes, and it barely had any updated visuals; Pandora's was literally a bunch of old sets and familiar props used in more or less the same iterations as before (at some points, I felt like I had traveled back in time to Clowns 3D, another extremely dumb original), they were just wrapped around a new narrative and bathed in a ton of UV light.

My overall point: not a lot of creativity there, and that was a year that didn't see anywhere near the complications this year will see. If it winds up being that we get predominately more originals this year because of COVID, I would understand. I'll keep an open mind and just feel grateful that we get to enjoy HHN, period. But more originals should not be the direction this event takes.

tumblr_llz351yX6q1qis4q9o1_500.gifv

lol, fiiiiiiine

I get it, it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm okay with that, and I know I'm not alone. The best thing about HHN and Universal in general is there's always something that anyone can enjoy. Some people like mazes based on ideas an eight-year-old could cook up, like "scary Easter bunny" and "scary clowns," which definitely has never been done before, anywhere, ever. Other people like good things. It's just different strokes for different folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Herbert West
lol, fiiiiiiine

I get it, it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm okay with that, and I know I'm not alone. The best thing about HHN and Universal in general is there's always something that anyone can enjoy. Some people like mazes based on ideas an eight-year-old could cook up, like "scary Easter bunny" and "scary clowns," which definitely has never been done before, anywhere, ever. Other people like good things. It's just different strokes for different folks!
I get it. Although Pandora's box was good IMHO - IP's brings the boys to the yard

And UCM: The Bride. I believe that’s shared with Orlando.
Also Beetlejuice which was said to be happening via Article for Orlando as a House. Can't imagine Hollywood passing it up.

Reactions: randomguesser
Also Beetlejuice which was said to be happening via Article for Orlando as a House. Can't imagine Hollywood passing it up.

Beetlejuice was said to be a scarezone in the Orlando thread I believe. Correct me if I’m wrong

If HHN is announced as cancelled, it is soley up to us to start a huge petition simply to POSTPONE it. It'll be crazy, but even if the event is in January 2021, I'd prefer it over NO HHN.

Reactions: Living Dead Dude

Well, Legacy seems to be hinting at good news for you. Not so good for us on the Orlando side.

HHN makes a lot of their profits on packing the park to sell express pass. There is a serious risk that crowds are down enough that profits tank hard. I could see them cutting houses and nights to try to boost express back up. unemployment is going to skyrocket to absurd levels by HHN.

Well, Legacy seems to be hinting at good news for you. Not so good for us on the Orlando side.

I mean, it’s not “good news for me.” It’s not like I’m the only person on the planet who thinks IPs are a better fit than originals for HHN Hollywood. Again, forget the GSATs—the IPs make this event what it is. If you want to experience original concept mazes in Southern California, you have your pick of dozens of events, many of which are executed at (or sometimes above) Universal’s level. HHN is the most unique Halloween experience of the year, and it’s because of IPs. That’s the truth, and like I said, I’m not the only who knows it.

Hollywood and Orlando don’t work together. Hollywood was always going to more IPs than originals. It’s Murdy’s MO.

Not only do they not work together, and not only are originals way outside of Murdy’s wheelhouse, but I also think that Orlando and Hollywood are just different events, period. Admittedly, I’ve never been to Orlando’s HHN (one day!!), but everything about it—the scale, the audience, the budget, the philosophy—just seems different than Hollywood. Not “better,” necessarily, just different. Originals are a better fit in Orlando for what I think are obvious reasons; they don’t always work in Hollywood, for what I also think are obvious reasons. That’s the entire crux of my argument here.

Status
Not open for further replies.