Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have a love-hate relationship for the RE movies. (Refuse to watch the WISH remake). Love the CGI films. The animated Netflix series wasn't terrible, however..... we don't speak of the live-action Netflix series :lol:

RE 2013 in Orlando was a dumpster fire lol.. I mostly went through it to see friends. Japan handled RE better, but.. its Japan lol (look on YouTube for old SZ footage, it's amazing)

I mean anyone who doesn't think RE would kill it at HHN just...doesn't know how big the series is

I hate the movies...but those made a killing for YEARS.

I'd think after last of us last year and SNW killing it would stop people questioning the fandom of gamer series being brought to the parks.
I don't think anyone is disputing that Resident Evil is popular in North America, or that it would be a popular attraction HHN, but it's clearly far more of an institution in Japan, which is a fair point to make.

Also, the movies did well enough, but to say they "made a killing" is a huge stretch, especially compared to your despised Fast and Furious series, which ran circles around the RE movies at the box office but -- according to you -- is going to do terrible business at the park. So your logic isn't exactly sound here. You're just doing that thing where you get overly defensive about the stuff you like and assume it will make a killing based purely on the fact that you personally like it.

Resident evil works great at HHN in general. Like everyone says Resident evil is a very popular game/movie series. Everyone knows bout resident evil. Having Resident evil in Japan feels like a good idea. Hopefully this inspires HHN Japan inspires HHN Orlando and Hollywood to feature more Resident evil titles at their events. I mean Orlando only has resident evil 1 time and their is so many great Resident Evil games. Even if it is newer games such as Resident Evil 7 and Village. Even though it might not make a killing it's still Resident Evil and it still has a massive fanbase.

If you haven’t experienced the Resident Evil maze in Osaka (or seen a video), it’s worth keeping in mind how different the experience is than a stateside maze. It’s very interactive, story-driven and features multiple show scenes (including one where you use big mounted guns to shoot at a screen).

My wife and I left the maze saying two things: That was awesome. And that would never work in the United States.

Which is only to say there’s not much from the Japan house that would translate directly to a house in Hollywood or Orlando.

Hopefully HHN Japan inspires HHN Orlando and Hollywood to feature more Resident evil titles at their events.
It's been a staple at HHN Japan as far back as 2012 when their event debuted... don't expect them to suddenly be inspired in our park(s) to bring it to life when there has been a multitude of opportunities to do so in the past 10+ years.
die sci-fi GIF

I'd like to point out that Resident Evil in Japan has a very interesting history:
- 2012 it debuted as a SZ
- 2013-2015 it became the "Biohazard: The Real" survival experience.
- 2015 There was also a Resident Evil "escape room"
- 2019 after a 3 year hiatus "Biohazard: The Extreme" was introduced
- 2022/2023 it was reintroduced as an upgraded experience known as "Biohazard: The Extreme+"
Video Game Horror GIF by CAPCOM

As for USH, when I spoke with Chris Williams (Murdy's partner in crime), back in 2018, I asked about TWD Attraction. He said, they DID look into doing RE instead & wanted to bring it to the park, BUT it would've been a lot more expensive due to all the creature costumes/effects.

As for USH, when I spoke with Chris Williams (Murdy's partner in crime), back in 2018, I asked about TWD Attraction. He said, they DID look into doing RE instead & wanted to bring it to the park, BUT it would've been a lot more expensive due to all the creature costumes/effects.
It is kinda funny to me that they're willing to make a long term investment in terms of something like AVP where it costs so much they just reuse it the next year, but wont just build an expensive RE2 maze and reuse half the sets for an RE3 maze the next year, but it doesn't surprise me Alien vs Predator is a more safe bet to make that kind of a gamble on.
I can keep dreaming I guess.

Reactions: chris.g
RE 2/3 did NOT make for a good house at HHN. That's what Orlando did & it just didn't work. It is better suited as a SZ (like HHN Japan 2012) since it takes place within Raccoon City streets.

You'd have to look at the franchise as a whole, then go from there. Otherwise just do the Spencer Mansion & Umbrella Corp labs. There's a lot of monsters people would want to see as well (hell... the Executioner would be great for stilts. Same with our Lady Dimitrescu)

.....sorry.. nerd mode got activated..

RE 2/3 did NOT make for a good house at HHN. That's what Orlando did & it just didn't work. It is better suited as a SZ (like HHN Japan 2012) since it takes place within Raccoon City streets.

You'd have to look at the franchise as a whole, then go from there. Otherwise just do the Spencer Mansion & Umbrella Corp labs. There's a lot of monsters people would want to see as well (hell... the Executioner would be great for stilts. Same with our Lady Dimitrescu)

I haven't played many of the RE games, but it could absolutely make a good house, but Orlando's just....wasn't great. There were some cool scenes, but it just wasn't scary.

It would make for a solid in house in Hudson Gate/TWDA.

That was because they were adapted very poorly. I feel like those games if adapted correctly could make for excellent hhn houses. Will it happen? Probably not. But I would love to see them try it again!

Reactions: pigboy and mccgavin

I would agree that it didn't make a good house at HHN, but I'm not confident that that means it couldn't make a good house at HHN, being honest the Orlando one was barely based on 2/3 to begin with, it was a mishmash of disjointed iconography with connective tissue that might as well have been an unrelated Walking Dead maze. Obviously it's more interactive, and thus doesnt translate 1 to 1, but how Japan handled the RE2 remake house really makes me feel like it absolutely could translate well if you really wanted to, even if I'm biased from sitting on a half-finished fan treatment of it for the better part of 5 years now.
That said, RE7 is probably the easiest translation from game to maze so if we really gotta split hairs I'll accept that over nothing.

Reactions: Wesker69
Raccoon City would definitely work better if it was a permanent haunt rather than a 2-month HHN house. Obvious reasons. I do know it was rumored that there'd be an RE SZ in NY, but all SZs that year got pushed aside for TWD everywhere *sigh*

While the Orlando house featured many game references, including the kinda cool but confusingly stupid "paused" room.. there was:
- zombie dog head on a stick scare
- "what even is that!?" Tyrant costume
- underwhelming scene design

However, my favorite part of the house was at the end, there was a big "GAME OVER" sign

I just really hope, if for nothing else, that Hollywood FINALLY gets a Beetlejuice house this year. If it doesn't happen this year it will most likely never happen. Which would be a real shame because I feel like Hollywood would pull it off perfectly and probably better than Orlando's in 2021. It would be an amazing exclusive IP this year for them and draw more people that usually go to the Orlando event, please please please Universal :sob:

Tim Burton Yes GIF by Freeform

I saw some speculation in the Orlando thread that the Weeknd/Dawn FM might feature as a scarezone. Does anyone think that might cross over here? The scare zones have been kinda lackluster since they got rid of the backlot so I'm not sure where that would even fit in, in Hollywood.

Is there anything stopping a Weeknd/Dawn FM Terror Tram from happening? As much as I didn't like the maze, I could boogie with that. Terror Tram hasn't been legitimately good in years, so at this point, what do I care what they put on it as an IP.

I admittedly wonder if Weeknd could be treated albeit in a similar angle to Freddy Krueger from 2008 or Jigsaw from 2009.

Hollywood exclusive in specifically being "Headliner" in all branding and or marketing; and specifically rooted as the central "face" of it for Hollywood. It's been a *looong while* since we've seen that done to a singular IP, last time I think was The Walking Dead era; but it is something on my mind.
____
Nonetheless, to piggyback into something I feel I am out of date on--I think the problem with Resident Evil is not necessarily that it doesn't sell enough to justify as a house; the problem is that it isn't a brand that is necessarily "Strong enough" in external media. Silent Hill admittedly has this better than Resident Evil; even if by a far more limited area.

The wide net that TLOU reached, the demographics and target audiences it has--makes absolute sense to have as a "Headliner" part of the big 3 that was last year. Resident Evil wouldn't really fit in that same aspect.

Resident Evil is a strong enough IP, but the real problem is the recent failed live-action attempts have tainted the brand. The saving grace was the recent CGI film "Death Island".

I'd just like to see Umbrella Corp branded within the park ....just like Cyberdyne Systems.. ohhh give me both!

The scare zones have been kinda lackluster since they got rid of the backlot
No. The scarezones have been lackluster since they got rid of the go-go dancers & I guess also lost their edge. They don't have the same energy they had since 2017/2018(?)... the lack of fire tower in 2019 really hurt too (but we at least have that back)