Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 78 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There are just so many modern horror movies that HHN hasn't even touched. No A24 films? Maxxxine was filmed on and prominently features Universal Studios and they're just completely ignoring it?

It wouldn’t surprise me if A24, which is considered a source of “prestige horror,” simply doesn’t want their properties at events like this.

It wouldn’t surprise me if A24, which is considered a source of “prestige horror,” simply doesn’t want their properties at events like this.
Has less to do with A24 and more to do with the creatives behind these properties being protective of their ideas being translated into an attraction like this. A24 is actually trying to actively expand their footprint as a studio via marketing and big name films, but they really respect their relationship with directors who choose to go with them. I don’t think Ti West would be a problem, or even Ari Aster who would probably get a kick out of doing a comedy/ horror original. I could see Robert Eggers being tough though….. alas I just don’t think Uni would wanna pick and choose if given the options.

Has less to do with A24 and more to do with the creatives behind these properties being protective of their ideas being translated into an attraction like this. A24 is actually trying to actively expand their footprint as a studio via marketing and big name films, but they really respect their relationship with directors who choose to go with them. I don’t think Ti West would be a problem, or even Ari Aster who would probably get a kick out of doing a comedy/ horror original. I could see Robert Eggers being tough though….. alas I just don’t think Uni would wanna pick and choose if given the options.
I think it's also a lack of awareness on the creative team's end. I remember attending a TEA event at the park where the HHN creative team was in attendance giving presentations, I was able to talk to the park president and Murdy and even asked them about A24 films like Hereditary and the Witch and they hadn't heard of them.

A24 sets up extremely director-friendly deals. Even if they wanted to partner up with Universal at HHN, I think they'd need the full co-sign of the filmmaker. That said, their philosophy is changing a bit so maybe those kinda deals will start to be less common. Of the current stable of A24 horror people, I could see Danny and Michael Philippou (Talk To Me) being the most game.
I think it's also a lack of awareness on the creative team's end. I remember attending a TEA event at the park where the HHN creative team was in attendance giving presentations, I was able to talk to the park president and Murdy and even asked them about A24 films like Hereditary and the Witch and they hadn't heard of them.
This is strange. I saw him on a panel somewhere once years ago and he talked about liking The Witch (it had just come out).

That's... embarrassing.

A24 sets up extremely director-friendly deals. Even if they wanted to partner up with Universal at HHN, I think they'd need the full co-sign of the filmmaker. That said, their philosophy is changing a bit so maybe those kinda deals will start to be less common. Of the current stable of A24 horror people, I could see Danny and Michael Philippou (Talk To Me) being the most game.

This is strange. I saw him on a panel somewhere once years ago and he talked about liking The Witch (it had just come out).
Maybe he was just being coy, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be pursuing a variety of licenses, seems like Murdy always falls back on the same tricks year to year.

Reactions: chris.g
Maybe he was just being coy, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be pursuing a variety of licenses, seems like Murdy always falls back on the same tricks year to year.
To be fair, though, it's not like he can snap his fingers and secure a license. We've gone around this subject before. The IP landscape is only getting more expensive and more competitive year after year. If it were up to him, he'd only do the biggest and best IPs possible, but we don't live in that reality.

Maybe I'm just being an apologist, but I think he and the team do a great job in this department despite those circumstances.

EDIT: Also, he probably was being coy. I'm sure he gets asked "when are you gonna do [insert film here]?" all the time and he probably gets sick of having to explain why he just can't do everyone's favorite movie.

Last edited:
Can’t believe it’s so difficult to have a solo UCM house (if it’s truly Scream Queens). Genuinely just baffled.
My initial guess would be maybe its too hard to find a near-entire casts worth of people that can fit the right height/build of a single character enough for it to be consistent? Especially with how difficult it is to retain people as is for the full event run. But that never stopped em for Texas Chainsaw or Halloween so maybe thats totally off base.

Reactions: chris.g
Question - are y’all tired of TCM or the lack of creativity/sequels?
I don’t mind this IP reoccurring they had the rights to use all of the sequels
That’s what I want with Halloween <-actual sequels.
Knowing that we won’t get FT13th or NOES back anytime soon makes me appreciate still having TCM as an IP.

Last edited:
Question - are y’all tired of TCM or the lack of creativity/sequels?
I don’t mind this IP reoccurring they had the rights to use all of the sequels
That’s what I want with Halloween <-actual sequels.
Knowing that we won’t get FT13th or NOES back anytime soon makes me appreciate still having TCM as an IP.
I think it's kind of genuinely interesting, especially given the fact if this is House 5. To me I don't have problems with the IP itself, and I would've had a problem if it was the same thing as it was prior; or a similar being to that.

The fact it potentially is the longest in page treatments plus the feelings that Murdy may of had in developing it makes me wonder what exactly is the direction of which the house will operate with.

And people say Halloween has born done to death.... lmao
Well.... actually..
Halloween - 2009, 2015, 2016, 2018 (H4), 2021 (H4 2.0), 2022 = 6 times

So the complaint about Michael Myers is fair. However, unlike TCM, there is still H5-Resurrection & of course the side quest that is H3 to play with. BUT I'd rather the only "Halloween" I see at Universal for a while is only in reference to the event name.

For the record:
NOES & F13 have been 5 years (2007, 2008, 2010 "remakes", 2016, 2017)

How are we feeling about the Hollywood exclusives so far since we don't know alot about them. Could it be that one of the originals is another Orlando orignal?

Honestly, if they’d just lean into something like the decrepit amusement park finale from TCM2 instead of just “here’s the gas station again, here’s the house again, here’s a meat locker again, etc.,” I’d be much happier. That amusement park setting alone would be enough to make it stand out for me in terms of feeling like they’re doing something different with the IP. (And even when Chop Top was in the 2016 maze, acknowledging TCM2, it still pivoted back to using the original movie’s imagery by the end.)

At least Halloween has tried covering a few different movies in the franchise and mixing it up, but when it comes to TCM, continuing to go back to the well of the original movie and pretty much only the original movie at this point when there is so much opportunity right there to spice it up is what I find most disappointing.