Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation | Page 54 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And another thing everyone forgets (or likes to ignore) is that even before Soundstage 44 got the sudden demo, HHN22 was only slated to have seven houses. It very nearly had six if A&D hadn't pushed really hard to get House of Horrors thrown together. (Seriously, executives were gonna be fine pushing six houses out.) More creative solutions to the streets than "hordes" could've been developed - the graveyard theme was lazy. There are spots all over that allow for permanent sets that the parade doesn't interfere with, and the others (Hollywood/New York) could've been handled with the movable set pieces that they've established they're still willing to do.

I could've excused the hordes if they were elaborate. We had guys in Halloween masks that you can purchase down the road. And don't try to tell me Skoolhouse was the same thing - Skoolhouse had a giant literal school building, a school bus, a playground, wonderful atmosphere, a sense of purpose and place - context, storytelling. Seeing a guy in an astronaut wearing a plastic tiger mask was pathetic.

The streets seemed to have next to no budget, and it showed. The money for the 8th house went nowhere except the pockets of those who didn't mind cutting it.

Just as a little insight about "IP sharing"... Murdy has confirmed that CitW will NOT be present at HHNH.

Which I readily acknowledge. Aiello has made it pretty clear in his interviews that this was a property he personally loved and pursued because he thought it'd make a great house - NOT because it would sell tickets. Cabin in the Woods will sell tickets to major HHN fans that were coming anyway - it won't entice most of the general public (remember, CITW had middling box office receipts and an awful Cinema Score). It's part of why I'm a lot more confident in this house versus the others, which appear to be pretty blatant cash grabs mandated by the executives keen on ticket sales from last year.

You bet the return of Walking Dead has everything to do with IP sharing.

Yea, he had actually mentioned before the announcement that what Orlando was announcing wouldn't be showing up at Hollywood.

It's very interesting. Certainly goes against the assumption that Comcast is going to mass produce IP's a la Walking Dead and Silent Hill. Also, the fact that Drew Goddard is so heavily involved and the blending of the HHN brand with the "Facility" should make an interesting house.

Having not chimed in on HHN23 discussions I'll throw my 2 cents in...with citw confirmed and Evil Dead more than likely going to be confirmed very soon..its very possible we are getting a Woods type theme this year..a lot of houses and IPs tied in with forest themes, creatures of the night and things like that.

Citw was an incredible movie, and I for one cannot wait.

Which I readily acknowledge. Aiello has made it pretty clear in his interviews that this was a property he personally loved and pursued because he thought it'd make a great house - NOT because it would sell tickets. Cabin in the Woods will sell tickets to major HHN fans that were coming anyway - it won't entice most of the general public (remember, CITW had middling box office receipts and an awful Cinema Score). It's part of why I'm a lot more confident in this house versus the others, which appear to be pretty blatant cash grabs mandated by the executives keen on ticket sales from last year.

You bet the return of Walking Dead has everything to do with IP sharing.

It actually has pretty decent reviews, 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 72% on MetaCritic. JungleSkip said this just made HHN worth a trip despite a budget. This movie is well regarded in the horror community. It might not sell a lot of tickets, but it's got the hype machine churning and people talking. I googled it and Baltimore Sun and other cities were writing on it coming to Universal. This house has some good hype potential atleast.

I've been attending HHN for 5 years straight. Seems I always have had good times (Live in Ct), but over the last few years it seems the event has weakened. There have been some good moments, houses, call it great timing in houses. Im saddened that it looks improbable to make this year (opted to do the Disney Food and Wine Fest Half Marathon 11/9 and a second Orlando trip seems improbable). Ill be watching from the "sidelines" and just maybe missing a year will help revive our juices for the event. I was a huge fan of Silent Hill and that was a major let down, enjoy Alice Cooper and that was a bit of a let down. I am a big Evil Dead fan (rumored house) and I'm guessing it will be a letdown. House in The Hills as it's first major announcement... Meh! Maybe missing this year won't be so bad... although it will be missed.

^ The House in the Hills would be terrifying indeed. (I assume you meant Cabin in the Woods :lol:)
heidi-montag-spencer-pratt-wedding3.jpg

Last edited:
Two houses sharing the same sound-stage with similar theming then? The Cabin in The Woods maze concentrating on the underground facility and the other side, Evil Dead, playing the part of the 'cabin in the woods' on the other maze with interacting elements between them?

2013 House Lineup (Per HTF in the Stash...Part 2)

Havoc 2
Resident Evil
Walking Dead 2
Grimm: La Llorona (like the NBC show, and like the Hollywood house of years past)
Cabin in the Woods (Confirmed, and probably great)
The Evil Dead
Legendary Truth (as opposed to the rumored "Prison house"...though another house could still be a prision theme i.e. TWD)
American Werewolf in London

Reactions: Jakemeister
Hey guys, with all of the rumors on the houses (not thrilled with all of the IP's, but what can you do)... are there any rumors as to whether there will be scare zones again this year? I went to the event last year, and enjoyed myself, but I didn't particularly like the hordes...and the Original houses were by far superior to the IP ones, in my opinion. Thanks.

It actually has pretty decent reviews, 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 72% on MetaCritic. JungleSkip said this just made HHN worth a trip despite a budget. This movie is well regarded in the horror community. It might not sell a lot of tickets, but it's got the hype machine churning and people talking. I googled it and Baltimore Sun and other cities were writing on it coming to Universal. This house has some good hype potential atleast.

I'm not referring to the critics - I'm aware they liked it, because it was a really smart, clever film (I loved it and own the BluRay). I'm talking about the average joe who attends HHN who isn't a huge fan of horror - they just like to get scared around Halloween and have a few drinks. That's why I'm referring to the audience CinemaScore, not any critic score. If they saw this film in theaters they were likely disappointed. It's not a draw to them.

This article from Box Office Mojo explains the situation better than I can:
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3420&p=.htm

This is a draw to the people who were probably horror fans and would've come anyway - though it'll win some people over like JungleSkip (and possibly me. Seriously, I love CITW). I'm praising Universal for this, do understand - I would've expected some executive to tear up this proposal, but I'm guessing since they played along with Resident Evil, Walking Dead, and Evil Dead, they threw A&D a bone and let them pick a favorite. Keep in mind Murdy went on record on Twitter in the past to say he wouldn't do a Cabin in the Woods house because the film was a bomb.

Last edited:
Well Cabin is a win-win because they can pretty much throw any monsters or bad guys in that they want and even people who didn't like the movie will realize that. Plus it has more public awareness than any original haunt they'd come up with (not that I don't want more original haunts) so that's going to draw people in regardless

Looking forward to Havoc, I didn't get to see the first one but the hype has made the environment sound awesome! Hopefully it's in a sprung..I feel like that was what made the first one so surprising.

2013 House Lineup (Per HTF in the Stash...Part 2)

Havoc 2
Resident Evil
Walking Dead 2
Grimm: La Llorona (like the NBC show, and like the Hollywood house of years past)
Cabin in the Woods (Confirmed, and probably great)
The Evil Dead
Legendary Truth (as opposed to the rumored "Prison house"...though another house could still be a prision theme i.e. TWD)
American Werewolf in London

Based on the IPs alone, what a disappointing line up....
Walking Dead again really? That was a weak house and they used all the good locations for the first time.

Legendary Truth (as opposed to the rumored "Prison house"...though another house could still be a prision)

This could be our prison house, Legendary Truth is just the firm who investigates paranormal activity. They can investigate said activity in any location.

I still don't know about Cabin in the Woods hate. Movie has over 4 stars on Netflix and everytime I log on is in most popular films.