Halloween Horror Nights 24: Reviews & Photos | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24: Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Finally did the last 3 I had to do,

Halloween: I cannot believe how close to the movie they got, I cannot believe this is a tent house. probably the best tent house of all time. it was so amazing. my eyes and my mouth were wide open because I could not believe how much detail went into this house. Unbelievable.
All the actors playing Michael were really incredible. This house alone made it worth the price.

Giggles and Gore: it was a lot of fun, the actors are having a lot of fun with the house and their roles. the sets were cool and funny to look at. a lot of nice gags, I had a lot of fun with this house.

From Dusk Till Dawn: the house doesn't have the best sets but the actors make up for it. a lot scared in this one a lot more than Dracula. the ending was really cool. I wish the rooms looked different. The whole house looks like one big room that never ends

adding some photos, I really dug a lot of the Purge actors. The victims always had a look of fear and desperation...always on point...knocking on doors, trying to find help

and another face off

Reactions: Andy
I feel obligated to post a review because this was my first experience with true haunted houses and I loved it. I went with my friend on 10/02 from about 9:30 till the midnight closing time and although we only saw two houses we really enjoyed ourselves. I was relatively jumpy but I feel like I did pretty well for my first time. We saw the AvP house, and both of us were really blown away by it. I've heard some bad reviews but overall I liked this house and it certainly got me on more than one occasion. We did each scare zone and I have to say the Purge was the most impressive. The actors were all perfect, the auction show was very fun to watch and I was chased at least five times through the zone! I thought Bayou of Blood was okay, I'm sure the finale made it rather more impressive but the actors could still throw you off - I made the mistake of waving at one and having her make a rattle noise at me. Face off was impressive for what they were trying to pull off, the scare actors seemed a bit off here aside from the ones near the pumpkin head make up... The masquerade zone was an interesting concept in my opinion - I really liked the way the stilt actors would stop, bend down and "boo" people because it was a weird way of scaring people and I really liked that. We hit some rides as well and I loved the 5 minute waits, perfect time to get some rides in... The other house we did, to wrap up the night, was Dusk till Dawn, and that was a very funny house. It might not be an original idea but watching the curtains be yanked open was always entertaining. There were moments where the house theme seemed off, there was this goblin-like thing that popped out at me at one point, confused the hell out of me. The drunk guy out front is perfect though lol... Anyway, I believe that's all. For my first forte' into horror, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and it was a wonderful opportunity to spend time with a friend. I cannot wait until the next time I can go!

I'll post a review later, but when I went through half of the houses, (including Halloween) it felt like the scare actors had a lack of energy compared to years past. This is the first time I've gone where that's happened. Before anybody flips out, yes, the houses were absolutely gorgeous! Creative did a magnificent job designing them and it's not their fault some actors aren't as energetic as others, but when you have a mediocre cast it can kind of dampen the experience.

I'll keep this short. Keep in mind I've only been through a few of these houses once, so this might change throughout the event

Houses:
1. Halloween - Quite possibly the best house I've ever done. I'm a huge fan of the movies and this thing exceeded all my expectations. Each time I walk through the house I know where the scare is going to come from and it gets me every time. Not to mention Easter eggs out the ass.

2. AvP - more of a straight Alien house with a few spare predators thrown in. I've heard Universal couldn't get the licensing for a straight up Alien house so they had to do AvP. It certainly looks that way with the whole house looking like the colony on LV426. The house improved big time since the first night of the meet up. I found it very intense and intimidating. The egg room is a let down but besides that every room is great. The last time I went through, I turned the corner right when an Alien jumped out and it sent my into the wall whilest shouting obscenities.

3. Dollhouse - I put this in third not for the scare factor but because of the build quality and design. I've been through this house twice and neither time was I intimidated. The house is beautiful and creepy at the same time. But I never felt a moment of apprehension the way I did while walking through Halloween every time. Still, it has an incredible atmosphere and some of the best scare placement I've seen (the mummified people on the walls is awesome)

4. Roanoke - MEAT!

5. Walking Dead - I loved this house. Again the design is outstanding and had some of my favorite set pieces. The actors got me a few times because I was just to busy admiring the build quality of the house.

On a side note, I'd love to see universal do a house for Alien on the same level as Halloween but with the scale of Walking Dead. A scene for scene walk through of the second film would be spectacular

6. Giggles and Gore - This is house that surprised me. I was expecting this house to be a joke house but it was awesome. It was very claustrophobic and again the design and detail of the rooms was top notch.

7. Dracula - It looked very authentic but there was a stretch through the middle of the house when NOTHING happened. It felt like walking through the Dueling Dragons queue (after the HP retheme). But it had some cool scenes like the guy getting hit with the arrows and Dracula grabbing the villager and yanking him back.

8. Dusk Till Dawn - Every year needs a weak house. This one is it. I didn't have very high expectations for this house given the source material. It's based on the (from what I've heard dull) TV show which is based on a movie that's famous for only thing, Salma Hayek dancing in a bikini with to snakes. I thought that it was a very faithful adaptation and was still better than other house I've been through, but given the source material and how good the rest of the houses are, this one goes last.

The Scare zones

The purge is by far and away the best one. The scope of it and not to mention the amount of nods to the movie was great. This should've been the theme for this whole year. Not the walking dead

I thought Bayou was good, but I've been through better zones in the area before.

Maskerade is okay. Out side of the giant candles and the chandelier there isn't much to it.

Faceoff was weak. Enough said.

Bill and Ted's theme this year is f*ck Disney. Even though plenty of other stuff happened, Disney is the main target. That Frozen parody is amazing and it almost got a standing ovation the second time I saw the show. Definitely going through there again.

If you like Rocky Horror, than you'll love the show. If not, skip it. I will say that the casting is spot on in this thing. It was a treat just to see how well they did. But I can't help but feel that better use of the beetle juice theater could be made.

Wish I had only went one night instead of three, such a lackluster year 6.5 nothing more.
No wonder there is so little buzz and very little chatter about the event this year.

Halloween
Decent house probably one of the best, but so repetitive.

Roanoke
Great looking house in the daytime then loses everything at night because they don't know how to light anything. Windigos are a joke and look stupid.

AvsP
If it weren't for the puppets it would be nothing.

Dusk Til Dawn
Hated the movie hated the house.

Dracula
Nothing but a few vamps in armor and stone walls, nothing memorable.

WD
Its the Walking Dead again.... Hey look iconic scenes in a crappy house, now with MORE Zombies!
Only if you count the ones in the mirror or on the dolly...

Dollhouse
Had high hopes for this one, some good some bad but just average in the end.

Giggles & Gore
See above.

The scarezones were just as average as the houses.

Bayou the best, at least it had atmosphere, could have done more with the shack.
Face Off nothing more than A photo op, which I liked.
Masquerade again a photo op with unwilling participants
Purge typical NY SZ with lame WalMart masks and all the old cars they have laying around.

Wish I had only went one night instead of three, such a lackluster year 6.5 nothing more.
No wonder there is so little buzz and very little chatter about the event this year.

WHAT?!?!?! Are you kidding? There are a zillion threads going on this site buzzing so much it is driving me nuts. Twitter is an explosion of discussion. Sounds like you were prepared to hate it and bitter because it is so well executed. Last I remember, you were stating that you wouldn't attend this year because you were sure it would be a rip-off.

I mean, c'mon!

Reactions: Drew
WHAT?!?!?! Are you kidding? There are a zillion threads going on this site buzzing so much it is driving me nuts. Twitter is an explosion of discussion. Sounds like you were prepared to hate it and bitter because it is so well executed. Last I remember, you were stating that you wouldn't attend this year because you were sure it would be a rip-off.

I mean, c'mon!

First of all that last statement is stupid and inaccurate... I don't need you to put words in my mouth.

Hey look: someone has an opinion and some something negative, remotely at best, must be a HATER!
I was never prepared to hate, I wouldn't spend the kind of money I spent on something "just to hate it" but it did turn out just as I called it.
And all I can say about tweets... fanboys.

First of all that last statement is stupid and inaccurate... I don't need you to put words in my mouth.

Hey look: someone has an opinion and some something negative, remotely at best, must be a HATER!
I was never prepared to hate, I wouldn't spend the kind of money I spent on something "just to hate it" but it did turn out just as I called it.
And all I can say about tweets... fanboys.

I kind of wish more people had your opinion because this has been the most crowded HHN I've ever been to so far. I guess there are just a lot of "fanboys" creating these 2 hour waits on "slow" nights.

I wrote up a rudimentry review earlier but here I a going to post my ratings for each go through of the houses. My friends and I rate the houses on a 10 point scale each time we go though. The ratings are basically how we feel about the house froma mixture of setting, scares, immersiveness, ect. Just our overall feeling of the house. But usually a house will only get the 10 out of me if I get at least a few oh **** moments (the few times where I will actually curse in the house and the friends have a laugh).

Through 4 nights:

Halloween- 10, 9, 9, 9, 9
AVP- 8, 8, 10, 8
Giggles and Gore- 9, 7, 9, 8, 7
Walking Dead- 8, 8, 8
Dollhouse- 6, 8, 7, 8
Ronoake- 7, 6, 8, 5
Dracula- 5, 6, 8
FDTD- 4, 5

I agree to something's October said like AVP and Dracula but then again I shouldn't be talking because I'm not as experienced as him in the haunt community. He's a real OG

I kind of wish more people had your opinion because this has been the most crowded HHN I've ever been to so far. I guess there are just a lot of "fanboys" creating these 2 hour waits on "slow" nights.

technically that's not fair because the walking dead is bringing most of those crowds, Not trying to stir the pot but i do wonder i walking dead was not in the event last year if they would have had as many people in the park

Also AVP and Halloween have huge followings anyway so the huge crowds are tricky as far as the quality goes. 2008 was an amazing year and i dont think it had the crowds 2007 had.

the facy is WD has brought a lot of new fans to hhn, "A new era of darkness" did indeed begin. i dont even think is about being a fanboy but just about the event having a lot of new fans

technically that's not fair because the walking dead is bringing most of those crowds, Not trying to stir the pot but i do wonder i walking dead was not in the event last year if they would have had as many people in the park

I feel like at this point, though, The Walking Dead has brought in a lot of new visitors to HHN…and they aren't just seeing TWD and leaving, they're looking around. At this point, if all the new people TWD has ushered into the event aren't impressed by HHN now, they won't be if another TWD house is added…but on the flip side of that, if they are having fun doing all of the non-WD attractions offered at the event, the lack of a Walking Dead attraction in the next couple of years is not going to keep them away. The whole general thought process is that Universal keeps bringing TWD back because it brings in crowds…I think that, yes, it was a good way to introduces HHN to a lot of new people, but it's not needed anymore. TWD has done its job by bringing in massive amounts of new visitors, and at this point I don't think that the IP is going to make or break it anymore.

It's sad because if you had asked me 5 years ago, I would've said that HHN would never bring back the same theme three years in a row.

My rankings:

Scarezones
4.Maskerade Unstitched - I just didn't find it very scary, just more stilt walkers and it's really boring when you walk into the park before dark.
3.FaceOff - Some cool outfits to look at, and the scarecrow dudes by the pumpkin monster usually are pretty exciting to watch.
2.Bayou of Blood - Love walking through here at dark, really cool and well done zone. Just a bummer they ditched the show.
1.The Purge - The energy is high, the area is awesome at night with the noise and the scare actors were fun.

Houses
8.From Dusk Til Dawn - I thought it was boring, costumes were poor and it even lacked the sexy factor I hoped it would have. I honestly have no interest in going back through it even if it is a walk on (which it was when I went through).
7.Dracula Untold - This house looks so cool, but it lacks scares and just was never a fit for HHN. It was a marketing house to go with the movie's release and just an example of why people are worried that marketing is slowly ruining HHN.
6.Roanake Cannibal Colony - I liked this house, but it just feels similar to Walking Dead and like it was been there, done that. I liked the gore and that some of the actors went pretty hard, but it was just a mediocre house.
5.Giggles and Gore, Inc. - I was expecting this to be more terrifying and gory than it was, but it was still scary and fun.
4.The Walking Dead - Best WD house so far, but it is time to move on. There is only so much you can do with zombies. The sets are incredible though and Universal's work bringing the show to life is top notch.
3.Dollhouse of the Damned - This house was CREEPY and had me on edge the whole time.
2.Alien vs Predator - It lacked the scares that some houses did, but holy crap was this cool.
1.Halloween - It was unbelievable how perfect it was with the movie and how terrifying it was all the way through. One of the best IP houses they've ever done. Bravo.

My rankings:

Scarezones
4.Maskerade Unstitched - I just didn't find it very scary, just more stilt walkers and it's really boring when you walk into the park before dark.
3.FaceOff - Some cool outfits to look at, and the scarecrow dudes by the pumpkin monster usually are pretty exciting to watch.
2.Bayou of Blood - Love walking through here at dark, really cool and well done zone. Just a bummer they ditched the show.
1.The Purge - The energy is high, the area is awesome at night with the noise and the scare actors were fun.

Houses
8.From Dusk Til Dawn - I thought it was boring, costumes were poor and it even lacked the sexy factor I hoped it would have. I honestly have no interest in going back through it even if it is a walk on (which it was when I went through).
7.Dracula Untold - This house looks so cool, but it lacks scares and just was never a fit for HHN. It was a marketing house to go with the movie's release and just an example of why people are worried that marketing is slowly ruining HHN.
6.Roanake Cannibal Colony - I liked this house, but it just feels similar to Walking Dead and like it was been there, done that. I liked the gore and that some of the actors went pretty hard, but it was just a mediocre house.
5.Giggles and Gore, Inc. - I was expecting this to be more terrifying and gory than it was, but it was still scary and fun.
4.The Walking Dead - Best WD house so far, but it is time to move on. There is only so much you can do with zombies. The sets are incredible though and Universal's work bringing the show to life is top notch.
3.Dollhouse of the Damned - This house was CREEPY and had me on edge the whole time.
2.Alien vs Predator - It lacked the scares that some houses did, but holy crap was this cool.
1.Halloween - It was unbelievable how perfect it was with the movie and how terrifying it was all the way through. One of the best IP houses they've ever done. Bravo.

good review, you are on point on a lot of stuff

Houses:
1. Halloween - If you've been through this house you know what it is. Impressive for a tent and simple scares. The sound cues make the house. I'll remember this house for a while, wish it was a bit longer though.

2. The Walking Dead - Seems like they finally got the concept that zombies aren't scary unless there are a lot of them. Some rooms in this house you were getting hit from both sides simultaneously. The cast brought it all times I went through. I hope TWD doesn't return, this was a good way to send it off.

3. Alien vs. Predator - Cool house, not many scares aside from a couple jumps when the Aliens would get closer than expected. Wish the predators were more in your face because they are MASSIVE. Lots of missed opportunities but the set was nice.

4. Giggles & Gore - Fun house, short, cool characters though. Just a lot of fun, only wish it was longer. Nothing too memorable.

5. Dracula Untold - I felt this house was good, I enjoyed the sets and I thought the cast was on point the one time I went through the house. I realize many had poor run throughs, but I thought it had a good combo of sets and jump scares.

6. Dollhouse of the Damned - Dolls don't really creep me out or anything...it was an okay house, the crib room was the best part but this house is severely overrated IMO.

7. From Dusk Til Dawn - The facade, and two bar scenes were the only redeeming quality of this house. It wasn't sexy, really scary or cohesive. It was okay.

8. Roanoke - This house might be one of the worst I've ever been in. Repetitive sets, repetitive actors, "meat", and the surprise at the end was really lame. Nothing memorable at all.

Scarezones:
Not even going to rank them because they all sucked. Maskerade had great costumes and a good, large cast but lacked scares. FaceOff was awful and lacked cast members, Bayou could've had more atmosphere, I don't even think I heard music in the area, costumes could've been better. Purge was underwhelming and a large lack of actors, didn't feel like I was ever in danger.

Didn't see the shows.

All in all a decent year, step in the right direction but a lot of it was underwhelming save for Halloween and TWD, in my opinion.

I spent 2 nights at HHN this weekend and did an "unmasking the horror tour," as well, and I have to say that this year's event was incredible. The only other year that I have gone was HHN 22, which wasn't hard to beat, but I do hit up between 7-10 professional haunts a year, including at least 3 or 4 of the top rated attractions in the country, so I'd like to think that I am a haunted house enthusiast. Still, these are just my thoughts, so please don't jump all over me just because I may disagree with you. I'm just saying what I saw and felt.

I can't think of a single bad house this year... even the weakest houses this year were better than the majority of the houses I visited in HHN 22. Here are my rankings, however, from my least favorite to favorite. I am hard to scare or startle, so I fell more in love with the atmosphere for each house, just so you are aware.

SPOILERS AHEAD

8. From Dusk to Dawn - I tried the show, and wasn't really a fan (for full disclosure), but I found this house to be a bit repetitive for me. The sets were awesome, and the eye candy was...well...amazing, but I could only walk past so many sheets with vampires behind them before I got the gist. I did love how I felt like I was traveling through a story, with a very clear beginning, middle, and end, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

7. Dracula - Right off, let me say that the sets were beautiful. From the burning smells to the gothic walls and architecture, I could have easily seen a movie being filmed in parts of the house. There were moving statues, which always creeps me out and when the arrows were fired, that particular scare got me to jump about 10 feet from the ground. The biggest issue I had was out of Universal's control. I was confused. I didn't know who was a vampire, who was a Hun, or why they were attacking me. This seemed like I was walking through an adventure epic, not a horror movie. Not a problem really, I just didn't feel as if the scares worked as well as they did with the more developed storylines.

6. Giggles and Gore - I know this is a favorite of a lot and I got the giggles in this maze, but as for the "gore," it was there for the first half, but then it seemed to turn into a long series of dark and twisted hallways. I get the fact that the evil clowns have been stuffed by that stage, but I guess I am more used to the "gore" found in Midwestern haunts... With that being said, what an energetic cast and creepy atmosphere. I loved the girl clown stuffing the body parts into the body. The interactive elements were amazing and I was truly terrified after I tried to push one of the buttons. Great surprise for a great house.

5. Dollhouse of the Damned - Two words: Giant Babies.... No, wait... Evil Bears... No, I have it... Poopy smell. This house aimed for the creepy, and it succeeded, with everyone around me. I work around kids, so perhaps dolls and babies have lost their creepiness for me, but this house certainly was a masterpiece when it came to toying with your emotions. I loved the tiny references to past houses and the ballerinas and finale were top notch. In the end, though, I missed some of the scares I've heard others talk about. Perhaps both times I went through were during cast change? Still, this was a creepy and plain "messed up" house.

4. Walking Dead - I am a very recent fan of the show, so the scenes from season 4 are very fresh in my mind, but I felt as if I was dropped into that show. The façade was impressive, the sets were spot on, and there were some clever scares in there. I loved the Aiello references in the Big Spot, but I missed even seeing the helicopter the first time through. One of the scariest scenes I have been in in ANY haunt was the forest scene from halfway through. I felt so claustrophobic and paranoid... I had no idea how many walkers were in that room or how big it was. Well done Universal!

3. Roanoke - I am a history buff, so this does hold a very dear place in my heart. What I love about Universal's HHN, and what they do better than anyone else, is the (A) Storytelling and (B)Movie Quality environments. This one blew me out of the water with both. Even if I hadn't read the description of the house, I would have been able to follow exactly what was happening from the first cannibal to the surprise ending. As for the set, I honestly forgot that I was inside several times. The wooden fort (made all of real wood), the tobacco barn, and the sheer craziness of things to see in that finale were EPIC! The only minor gripe I can have is that if you are going to have the creatures found in the finale, they need to have antlers (according to traditional descriptions). The prop one did... the actors did not either night I was there. Perhaps I didn't see the antlers, but I think that would help explain what they were to the average Joe. Still, this house is one that I will probably always have in my top 10 houses anywhere.

2. AVP - Wow! Wow! Wow! The Puppets, the Predators, and the jungle sets were like one of my nightmares had been brought to life. I jumped so many times in that maze, that my sister still makes fun of me for it. The finale was claustrophobic and the egg scene was sheer disgustingness. Like everyone, I wish that there was a Queen Alien, but I'll settle for the ones we had. They had a lot of personality and were very realistic. If I had another tiny complaint, it would be that I wish the chest buster would be a bit more noticeable. However, the one that they had distracted me enough to get the living crap scared out of me from behind, so great job universal!!!! Even though this was an IP, they made it into an original house, where instead of walking through the movies, you got placed into an awesome combination of the industrial feel of alien and the jungles of predator.

1. Halloween - I have NEVER felt as uncomfortable in a maze before as I have in this house. It was a never-ending chase from the beginning until the surprise end. I felt as is Michael was behind every corner, ready to get me, which it seemed he was. It was so good that when I went to redo the house later, I actually almost chickened out going back into that place again. The scare actors were so effective that they were able to hit me from the same locations again, and I still freaked out. I really don't want to say anything else, in case you haven't been in yet, but this the hands down winner for house of the year, and will be in my top 5 houses I've ever been in anywhere in the country.

Scare Zones:
The Purge and the Bayou were by far the best. Masquerade was creepy and beautiful. Unfortunately, I was most looking forward to Face Off. I knew it would be a photo op, and I was guilty of that myself, but I felt as if the costumes and make-up for the ground scare actors were not up to par with their stage bound cousins. I wasn't expecting the cool face-off make-ups, but a bit more. Maybe I'm just too picky.

The Bill and Ted show was hilarious. I can't compare it to past years, but I almost died laughing and there were some very good looking characters out there and well choreographed numbers.

In short, this year's event was fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone. Perhaps the highest praise I have is that I am already plotting how I can get back there next year. Make sure you buy express! It will make your life so much better!

Halloween
Decent house probably one of the best, but so repetitive.

Roanoke
Great looking house in the daytime then loses everything at night because they don't know how to light anything. Windigos are a joke and look stupid.

AvsP
If it weren't for the puppets it would be nothing.

Dusk Til Dawn
Hated the movie hated the house.

Dracula
Nothing but a few vamps in armor and stone walls, nothing memorable.

WD
Its the Walking Dead again.... Hey look iconic scenes in a crappy house, now with MORE Zombies!
Only if you count the ones in the mirror or on the dolly...

Dollhouse
Had high hopes for this one, some good some bad but just average in the end.

Giggles & Gore
See above.

The scarezones were just as average as the houses.

Bayou the best, at least it had atmosphere, could have done more with the shack.
Face Off nothing more than A photo op, which I liked.
Masquerade again a photo op with unwilling participants
Purge typical NY SZ with lame WalMart masks and all the old cars they have laying around.

You my friend are spoilled with good haunted houses.

You my friend are spoilled with good haunted houses.

is it really being spoiled to expect the kind of quality Universal has had in the past years? (not being sarcastic, really asking)
is it being spoiled to be disappointed this year? or is everyone else just happy with whatever Uni makes? im really asking because it makes me wonder.

out of all the years I've gone I don't remember being as disappointed with some of the houses as i was with 2012 and this year. Obviously every year has bad houses, but just being completely disappointed with the overall theme of the houses, the quality of the costumes and the quality of the scares?. it has only happened for me in '12 and '14. I don't know, am I just being really spoiled?