Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 159 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Of concern, to me this could signal a softening of HHN. So now you've got a bunch of kids running around HHN to see the Harry Potter Hallowe'en.
I had a similar thought with the Bill and Ted news. While there are likely more complex reasons they ended it, losing the adult themed show could help to soften the event so they could bring in a more "family friendly" dynamic. Throw in some Harry Potter, tone down the streets just a little and while still not for young kids it definitely could appeal to a family with 8-10 YO's or pre-teens. I've noticed more of this age range every year, perhaps Universal has also.

I had a similar thought with the Bill and Ted news. While there are likely more complex reasons they ended it, losing the adult themed show could help to soften the event so they could bring in a more "family friendly" dynamic. Throw in some Harry Potter, tone down the streets just a little and while still not for young kids it definitely could appeal to a family with 8-10 YO's or pre-teens. I've noticed more of this age range every year, perhaps Universal has also.
Ummmmmm.....yeah no. If you don't want to be scared don't go. I hate seeing people going to haunts and just getting these necklaces they sell at Six Flags New England that are supposed to keep you from being scared. Like don't go if you don't want to be scared. HHN is supposed to be the scariest, baddest, and bloodiest haunt at an amusement park and they would never tone that down to bring in more of a younger audience because I can assure you they would be losing more of the audience they have now.

Ummmmmm.....yeah no. If you don't want to be scared don't go. I hate seeing people going to haunts and just getting these necklaces they sell at Six Flags New England that are supposed to keep you from being scared. Like don't go if you don't want to be scared. HHN is supposed to be the scariest, baddest, and bloodiest haunt at an amusement park and they would never tone that down to bring in more of a younger audience because I can assure you they would be losing more of the audience they have now.
Yeah, I totally agree, but I have noticed what seems to be a very slight shift. I could see that as appealing to Universal as they transition to a larger family oriented resort. It's a very delicate balance, and maybe they're trying to do that, maybe not. Harry Potter definitely would be a good "hook" to help accomplish that if they so wanted.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Yeah, I totally agree, but I have noticed what seems to be a very slight shift. I could see that as appealing to Universal as they transition to a larger family oriented resort. It's a very delicate balance, and maybe they're trying to do that, maybe not. Harry Potter definitely would be a good "hook" to help accomplish that if they so wanted.

I mentioned last year--here or on Twitter, can't remember--there's been a definite shift in HHN post-Potter.

Anyone care to give any examples as to how it has shifted?

If you search around November last year, I think a wrote an annoyingly long post on the subject. But in a nutshell, AoV would never have been accepted 7 or 8 years ago (and I think love/hate of that show is a good dividing line between new/old HHN fans). Or AHS. A collection of scenes with no real story, no dramatic through line--that's a Disney thing. That's Pirates or Mansion. In the "good old days," HHN houses told a story, starting slowly, eventually building to a denouement.

It's a subtle thing, and not necessarily every house. But the event has definitely lost some of its bite to appeal to the Disney fans who bought APs when Potter opened.

Reactions: Grits0808
Or you could say it's evolving.
Yeah it's very hard to nail down shifts on an event that changes every year. I kind of think RHPS will probably never return as an example. I remember the last year it was there lots of parents complaining about the language. AoV is of course good wholesome fun for the whole family. I think the shift goes two ways. Parents are far more inclined to introduce their children to violence and gore then they were in the past. It's the other "adult" elements that are a barrier for a number of people bringing younger children. Halloween itself has been shifting as a holiday and is becoming far more popular. So much so that it's rivaling Christmas now. So there's a growing market to take advantage of.

The funny thing is though as a whole society Halloween used to be all about kids and trick or treating I feel like it's become more of an adult holiday in the last decade. However, I can understand what you mean. They are probably trying to attract the largest audience possible and again I agree for some reason extreme violence has always been less offensive to parents than sex or cursing lol. I still don't think HHN appears to be marketed to families or children at all, but maybe trying just to attract more regular folk as opposed to Halloween die hards. I've only been going since 2013 so I'm not really the best judge of this transition.

The funny thing is though as a whole society Halloween used to be all about kids and trick or treating I feel like it's become more of an adult holiday in the last decade. However, I can understand what you mean. They are probably trying to attract the largest audience possible and again I agree for some reason extreme violence has always been less offensive to parents than sex or cursing lol. I still don't think HHN appears to be marketed to families or children at all, but maybe trying just to attract more regular folk as opposed to Halloween die hards. I've only been going since 2013 so I'm not really the best judge of this transition.
I don't know how many more they could fit in the park. 600K and every one of them want to do all 9 houses,hang in SZs and not wait in multihour lines to do it. Universal is in the MK position on this, if they want more people in the park they need to give them more to do. Everyone that attends wants to do the whole event so it becomes through put. They could shorten the houses but does anyone really want that? More nights? Maybe pull a MNSSHP and start in August? I think this is about maxed out

AoV is of course good wholesome fun for the whole family.

I hate AoV but lets not pretend it was some show it wasn't. It was still intense, loud, visceral, and loads of "sexy dancing". Is it "Halloween"? Eh. Is it horror? Not at all. But it isn't "family friendly".

The event has changed subconsciously. I don't think the event has become any more sanitized or family friendly instead the event is no longer the primary driver for the resort. It's changed because it's riding passenger to Potter, new attractions, and eventually Nintendo.

I don't know how many more they could fit in the park. 600K and every one of them want to do all 9 houses,hang in SZs and not wait in multihour lines to do it. Universal is in the MK position on this, if they want more people in the park they need to give them more to do. Everyone that attends wants to do the whole event so it becomes through put. They could shorten the houses but does anyone really want that? More nights? Maybe pull a MNSSHP and start in August? I think this is about maxed out
I've known many casual visitors who go one night and only want to do a few houses. I don't get it personally, if I'm going to an event I want to take in as much as possible. Either way though not everyone wants to do everything. Still a very valid point though as the event seems to be near it's capacity most of the time. I suppose if you're looking to continually increase an event already at/near capacity you might look to change your demographics instead much like Disney has been doing with MK.
I hate AoV but lets not pretend it was some show it wasn't. It was still intense, loud, visceral, and loads of "sexy dancing". Is it "Halloween"? Eh. Is it horror? Not at all. But it isn't "family friendly".
I suppose family friendly might not be the best way to put it, but it's essentially straight off of America's Got Talent which is obviously on a major network airing during family hours. I think you would have to have a very conservative viewpoint to feel the show wasn't appropriate for younger audiences.

Last edited:
There's been discussion about HHN going nightly from mid-September through HHN. This year's Mardi Gras schedule was basically a proof on concept.

There's been discussion about HHN going nightly from mid-September through HHN. This year's Mardi Gras schedule was basically a proof on concept.

I'd be in favor, especially if they kept ROF. Fly in Sunday. Hang out through Thursday and head home before the weekend.

^^^See, because of my OCD I like being able to hit houses repeatedly. So I single out a few houses (last year it was AHS, TWD and Playground) I have no interest in and instead go through the ones I like over and over again (Tomb and GT).