Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until after Mardi Gras. I've heard those 41-straight nights may be a test.

Suffice to say, there's a LOT of possible changes to how HHN runs next year.

With Volcano Bay, the CB towers, and Sapphire Falls welcoming tons of new guests to the resort; I can definitely see why they may be wanting to make massive changes to the way that the event works..

An question that should be asked though, would the schedule change to something like how Mardi Gras is seeming to go happen for not just UOR's HHN, but perhaps USH's HHN? I see it very justifiable that they may do that on both coasts, as both events have been quite popular.

With Volcano Bay, the CB towers, and Sapphire Falls welcoming tons of new guests to the resort; I can definitely see why they may be wanting to make massive changes to the way that the event works..

An question that should be asked though, would the schedule change to something like how Mardi Gras is seeming to go happen for not just UOR's HHN, but perhaps USH's HHN? I see it very justifiable that they may do that on both coasts, as both events have been quite popular.
I'm thinking if Wednesday's and Monday's can have decent crowds, then surely Tuesday can too.

If i'm not mistaken (as I am sure that @Legacy or @Yukendoit could correct me on this), I believe USJ has its HHN open during the week altogether but has it's entertainment offerings for the event open later in the normal park hours.

Perhaps we could see something like that happen for HHN in a way?

To those who keep saying Amityville Horror is imminent, you need to realize a few things on the Hollywood side of the business...

The reason we so often see Blumhouse releases represented at HHN (moreso Hollywood than Orlando, admittedly) is because Blumhouse maintains an overall "first-look" deal with Universal for distribution. That puts Purge, Insidious, Ouija, and other prominent Blumhouse franchises in the Universal toy box. (IMPORTANT DISTINCTION: The Conjuring is not Blumhouse, it's Warner Bros. James Wan just happened to direct both.)

Amityville Horror is a Blumhouse release but will NOT be distributed by Universal; it and the franchise belong to the notoriously difficult to work with The Weinstein Company... the very same outfit that controls Scream (both the movie franchise and television series). As we all know, they do not play nice with Universal (or anyone, really). They were already dissatisfied with Scream, so the chances of them signing over their other prominent horror franchise is next to zilch.

That alone should disqualify it from speculation (though the incidental paper craft model will insure YouTubers guaranteeing it for months). There's another wrinkle, though - the new movie is crap. I haven't seen it in full, but I know test screenings were abysmal. I know it's gone through multiple rounds of reshoots. And I know it's had its release date pushed back multiple years. If all goes according to plan, it's finally going to get dumped early next year. (If it gets released at all - rumblings that Weinstein wants to just shelve it and not bother with a P&A push.)

This is not the sign of a release that anyone is enthusiastic about, much less interested in pursuing a synergetic haunt for. So I say with 99% certainty, we will not see Amityville Horror next year, or any time soon. (There's also the matter of Conjuring 2 covering the same ground, but who's counting?)

My guesses, for what they're worth?

-American Horror Story
-Conjuring franchise (collaboration w/ Warner Bros. for Exorcist opened doors)
-Trick r Treat (less likely but could be the A&D favorite "Cabin in the Woods" effort)
-Five Nights at Freddy's (you laugh, but, just watch)
-Insidious: Return to the Further (Chapter 4 comes out next year. Lot of rumblings of its return to Hollywood. The script is solid.)

That'll do it for the IPs unless they drag out Walking Dead one more time. I'm not confident IT will be anywhere near either coast. Murphy/FX may push for Scream Queens if it can manage to draw some numbers as contract renegotiations take place for AHS in future years.

Originals, I couldn't say, but I'd echo sentiments that Vamp '55 seems like the perfect excuse to revive "Hell High."

2017 will be very interesting, as there'll lie many to wonder what the Art and Design team wants to do; as I can't wait to have fun with you all as we speculate, guess, hope and expect to see for the upcoming event.

With that said, let it begin as the fog fades away..

Mike has his plate full so he is gunna play it hands off going forward. I am assuming he will still have final say? Or will there be a more dedicated group of A&D for HHN that has free reign besides edicts from management?

Will marketing still reign supreme? didn't they butcher Chance in the park? I wonder if the new chance of hands in the HHN leadership will give a little more room for Art and Design to go back to do what they do best before marketing took so much hold of the event the past few years after walking dead became a thing.

Marketing will still have final say. And Mike doesn't have final say on what comes out of HHN. I'm not really sure the person in that position ever did.

The event isn't a pet project. Everything that comes is reviewed by Marketing, Legal, Operations, Merchandise and upper management. Those other groups may not have cared as much in the first 20 years of the event, but they do now.

Remember... Marketing scratch the Terra King as the lead icon in 2005. Cindy was cut by Legal and Operations in 2002 because they weren't comfortable casting a child for the event.

Mike isn't a god.

Amityville Horror is a Blumhouse release but will NOT be distributed by Universal; it and the franchise belong to the notoriously difficult to work with The Weinstein Company

This surprises me.

the new movie is crap.

This does not.

Thanks for the update tho, appreciate the insight. Brings back up a point from 2016 speculation--they are running out of iconic 70s/80s movies. I still think the opportunity to sell Sam mini figs, pins, shirts, etc. will be the driving force behind Trick r Treat being in contention.

Things I think we'll see
  • AHS: only a single season of it, I think this was a test run of how popular it was and for the show owners to build trust with HHN. Definitely popular enough and made a viewer out of me. Like others I see this being the new TWD
  • Mummy: house will probably be used for the usual synergy that we see. Plus may be able to use pieces from Tomb in it.
  • Amityville: They are running out of big name classic IP houses, and with the easter egg in Krampus I think it may have legs. They have been getting and proving themselves with some of the harder to get IP's
Things I hope to see
  • Would love to see the mega house be an original concept, or split it into a 10th house (Part 1/ Part 2 concept or something). AHS created a major change to crowd patterns this year and I think an original will equalize things a little bit. I think this is the first time I've seen a house completely dominate the clientele of the park.
  • Hopefully we get the beginning of a new batch of Icons. Our current ones are great, but it feels like the majority of their stories have been told for the time being.
  • Would love to see AoV come back. Single best surprise of the season
  • Hoping to see the return of a "Fun" house. Bloodengutz, Killer Clowns, Meetz Meats, etc

I find it very interesting that so many people are buying into the Amityville rumor, based mostly off of a model that was created years ago and couldn't have even remotely been connected to HHN 27. Not to mention specifically being debunked by Mike Aiello.

• Trick r Treat (Easter egg in Krampus, worked with director and apparently it went well, allows them to sell a ton of Sam merch)
God please let this happen. Getting KRAMPUS and TRICK 'R TREAT back to back would be incredible.

Likely (IMO):

-New Icon with an Icon house

My wishful thinking:

-Chanel Zero: Candle Cove: On a Universal network, plenty of great opportunities for scares
-VAMP 55 House: Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssseee

EDIT: My treatment for a VAMP 55 house would be the kids running amok in the town after the parade, hitting a bunch of 50s themed scenes. Drive-In movie theater, diner, etc

Last edited:
I know it's a longshot, but I'd love to see Game of Thrones for HHN, mostly because it wouldn't work as a ride/land. Since the event is "PG-13," you can keep all the adult elements like a White Walker attack or a tour through Winterfell under Bolton control. The amount of merch opportunities alone ought to make this a sure thing. However, since that will be very unlikely, Universal should revisit a classic, The Ring, to tie-in with the new movie next year, even though I'm sure Mummy will get the synergy treatment. It still seems too early for Stranger Things, but the following year could very well be a possibility.

I know it's a longshot, but I'd love to see Game of Thrones for HHN, mostly because it wouldn't work as a ride/land. Since the event is "PG-13," you can keep all the adult elements like a White Walker attack or a tour through Winterfell under Bolton control. The amount of merch opportunities alone ought to make this a sure thing. However, since that will be very unlikely, Universal should revisit a classic, The Ring, to tie-in with the new movie next year, even though I'm sure Mummy will get the synergy treatment. It still seems too early for Stranger Things, but the following year could very well be a possibility.

Before AHS came into place i always thought game of thrones could replace walking dead.
It has a giant fan base and they have enough material for years of houses

God please let this happen. Getting KRAMPUS and TRICK 'R TREAT back to back would be incredible.

Likely (IMO):

-New Icon with an Icon house

My wishful thinking:

-Chanel Zero: Candle Cove: On a Universal network, plenty of great opportunities for scares
-VAMP 55 House: Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssseee

EDIT: My treatment for a VAMP 55 house would be the kids running amok in the town after the parade, hitting a bunch of 50s themed scenes. Drive-In movie theater, diner, etc

I forgot about Candle Cove. That's a very, very real possibility, from what I've heard... could be the sixth IP if TWD is finally out/another IP falls through.

Seriously guys though. NO AMITYVILLE. It isn't happening. I can say that with near absolute certainty.

I'd also be a Scream Queens fan, as I said before. But like I said, only way that one is happening is if FX/Murphy personally request it as part of renegotiations for AHS beyond the two-year contract that's already been signed. And the only reason they'd want the promotion is if it got renewed for a third season... which is very much up in the air.

Seriously still surprised by the lack of chatter for Five Nights at Freddy's. Vegas is deploying a maze version this year (for anyone who thinks that disqualifies it from HHN, please see SAW...) and it is massive amongst millennials, a new desirable audience for the modern HHN. Frankly? It'd also make a good house!

I really really really dobt get the hate for FiveNights at Freddy's

Is it because it is popular with kids? The robots are super creepy And the story would fit right for a house made for hhn.
The sets would be easy and look great as a house and the costumes would be really cool to see.
Im not even a big fan of it or anything but i can see it becoming a really cool house.

The FNAF IP is a interesting one, to where I can get why it'd happen; on a financial level.

It is a very popular IP for now, especially with the upcoming film and all five games, it definitely has a lot to use in terms of material.

Plus, it also has a lot of merchandise potential; along with a big fan base for these games. It'd be a potential moneymaker that I can see be triggered for the event..but.

The problem could lie to the audience and the fan base of the IP, because of the audience of the FNAF IP skewing towards a younger demographic but it's not entirely impossible that it may be easier to solve for Marketing.

Either way, I don't say it's impossible, but they'd have to deal with that hurdle before even going in for it.