Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

Friend of mine reckons we might see the return of Eddie as an icon.

I'd like to see Alien again, but sans the Predators, and I'd like it to be an outer space setting, maybe the first part on some desolate planet, then the second part on a spaceship.

Dead Man's Wharf would make a great original reminiscence of Bioshock.

Like a lot of us here, I'd love to see them turn Vamp 55 into a house next year as the first bona fide dark humor house since Penn & Teller. I don't think it would be difficult at all to expand beyond the homecoming parade into a slew of other 50's settings: diner, street scene, the school itself (homecoming dance finale anyone?).

However, my only qualm with giving Vamp the house treatment: limitations on the performers. Almost all of the love for Vamp came from the way the scare actors put unique life and energy into each of their characters. To see those roles reduced to quick scare-and-resets with e-prompts would honestly feel a little....off.

I guess the solution would be to design the house with room for improv, I'm sure it could be done. Reservations aside I really want to see this concept as a house.

I really really really dobt get the hate for FiveNights at Freddy's

Is it because it is popular with kids? The robots are super creepy And the story would fit right for a house made for hhn.
The sets would be easy and look great as a house and the costumes would be really cool to see.
Im not even a big fan of it or anything but i can see it becoming a really cool house.

People would poop the bed if there was an original house set in a condemned kids pizza place with killer robots.

Like a lot of us here, I'd love to see them turn Vamp 55 into a house next year as the first bona fide dark humor house since Penn & Teller.

Off topic, but you thought a lumberjack killing people with a chainsaw while singing "Oh Canada" and a factory where they make killer clowns were serious horror concepts?

What follows are some predictions/guesses/wishful thoughts straight from my noggin, and from no actual information.

None of these are expected to happen...hell...I'd be surprised if I got more than one or two right. But, it might be fun to check (or cross) these off once we start getting some breadcrumbs for the next event.

Here we go:

Price Increase Across The Board: OK. Probably the most obvious of my guesses. We've had price increases every year for a while now, and I wouldn't expect much different next year.

Mondays and/or Tuesdays Added to the Schedule: Let's be honest here, as much as we all love the event, it's been getting pretty crowded in there.

House waits were pretty astronomical this year, and they're going to have to do something to spread everyone out a bit.

I think the best option they have is adding two more nights. Sure, that would make it every night of the week, but I would bet that there would be a few weeks where Monday/Tuesday HHN crowds would outweigh the day crowds.

A New Add-On: Last year we got Scareactor Dining. This year we got The Repository. As another tool to try and spread crowds out a bit more, I would expect at least one more bonus option for your time at the event.

Whether it's an exclusive mini-show, a special VIP "party" later in the night, or something else; I'm sure UOF won't turn away more options to grab a few extra bucks.

Limited Use of an Icon: I DO think we'll get another icon next year, but I also think he/she will be used in a slightly limited capacity.

Trust me, marketing LOVED having a face to slap on every piece of merchandise this year. They probably don't care too much that the house and scarezone associated with Chance garnered...shall we say...mixed reviews?

TWD Year-Round: Hollywood did it, and it's been a rumor for a little while that Orlando will be doing it as well. The real questions will be if they try to count it as "one of the houses", and if they juice it up at all after six o'clock.

Which kind of segues into my first house prediction...

Shaun of the Dead: I got to thinking that if we don't get a year-round attraction, and they don't do a TWD house again (which they shouldn't after this year's "best of"), how could we get some zombie representation?

Well, UNI was a producer on Shaun, so that's an easy property to get. It's generally well respected by the horror community. And, it could also fill the "comedy house" needs. Two birds, one stone.
Besides, would creative really pass up the option to re-use all those extra zombie assets that don't get used in the year-round house?

A Familiar House: Here's a trend from the past two years. Dig out an old gem and rehash/redo it. Specifically I'm talking about Werewolf In London and Ghost Town.

This helps bring the house count up, while not adding another full house's worth of work to the budget.

I'm not saying that they don't still put in a ton of work, but they don't have to start entirely from scratch like they do other houses.

Oh, and about that...

Scream: Probably a little bit of a pipe-dream with their history, but I can imagine that creative would still love to put their vision out there.

They already have a script (and I'm assuming assets) from last year's canceled house, they would just need to work through whatever contract snafus went down with the rights owners.

Need a little more? There was a Stab poster in the attic of the Krampus house this year. A fun easter egg, or a vision of things to come? They've planted visual clues before.

The Conjuring/Annabelle Universe: I love how these are all segueing into each other. Remember how I mentioned that sometimes easter eggs from one year lead into houses the next year?

Well...there's a rumor that the Amity house easter egg from Krampus' snow globes might lead to an Amityville Horror house next year.

I'm asking, what if that is actually pointing to The Conjuring/Annabelel?

The case at the beginning of The Conjuring 2 is actually the case that inspired The Amittyville Horror films. Also, this has been rumored for a few years now, but what if they were just waiting for a little bit more story to work with?

With both Conjuring movies, and Annabelle 2 due out next year, that leaves 4 movies' worth of toys to play with.

Three Originals: Finally, I believe this year was a vision of things to come as far as the original/IP mix of houses.

Three and six seem to be the sweet spot for marketing and creative. It allows the long-time fans enough to look forward to, yet it puts enough big names up on the marquee to draw in all the dude-bros. It's also possible that this one crosses over a bit with my "Familiar House" guess.

Well...there you have it. Feel free to tear them apart. If I had to put money down on what will actually come to fruition, I would guess 4-6 out of 10.

Here we go again...

FNAF isn't a drawing power. It's a game that appeals to only a small niche that only gained notoriety due to YouTubers filming the jump scares. Not doubting its potential on scares or anything...

People would poop the bed if there was an original house set in a condemned kids pizza place with killer robots.
You know, it's really just a parody of the Rock-afire Explosion. Which ironically was built here in Orlando, the guy and his company are still in business in the same location in downtown Orlando. Pretty unlikely, but I would love to see him help out on the house.

Off topic, but you thought a lumberjack killing people with a chainsaw while singing "Oh Canada" and a factory where they make killer clowns were serious horror concepts?

Fair point, there are plenty of houses throughout the past few years that kept tongue firmly in cheek (even Resident Evil could have been interpreted as a slightly comedic house, as Dr. Jimmy once pointed out). It's just that the two you referenced didn't feel as much like out-and-out comedy houses to me in the same vein as P&T or Bloodengutz. Not disagreeing with you, Run and G&G had some major humor elements, it's just the way I interpreted them personally. :shrug:

On another wishful thinking note, I realize that the difficulties in working with Stephen King means that a house based on Kubrick's Shining will almost certainly never happen, but hearing the Shining theme in Dead Man's Wharf really makes me wish they could make it work. That would honestly be a dream property for me.

Here we go again...

FNAF isn't a drawing power. It's a game that appeals to only a small niche that only gained notoriety due to YouTubers filming the jump scares. Not doubting its potential on scares or anything...

With all due respect, it's a merchandising juggernaut, particularly with millennials. Like it or not, they're an increasing portion of the HHN audience pie. Hollywood had featured merchandise available at stores and carnival games - little plush figures of the robot characters - that went like hotcakes. I saw so many little Freddy's come through the house; it's a similar catch-all cult appeal like Chucky.

I'm not saying it'll happen with any certainty. I'm just saying it's a VERY real possibility, and it feels like the deliberate inclusion of special merch may have been a litmus test. (For the record, I have not played any of the games. I do like the aesthetic and homegrown quality.)

Also worth noting that you shouldn't underestimate the power and influence of YouTubers. We now have multimillion dollar companies investing in these folks with discernible returns for an influencer's endorsement of a product. FNAF successfully exploded into brick and mortar toy stores and Hot Topics with the shelf space that would make Nightmare Before Christmas blush. (Again, I'm not a big fan of "YouTubers" or any of this. But they're undeniable movers and shakers of the entertainment industry now.)

Last edited:
Friend of mine reckons we might see the return of Eddie as an icon.

I'd like to see Alien again, but sans the Predators, and I'd like it to be an outer space setting, maybe the first part on some desolate planet, then the second part on a spaceship.

Dead Man's Wharf would make a great original reminiscence of Bioshock.

Disney has the rights to Alien so i dont know if a house based on the movie Aliens could be done or not (I dont know if the Disney rights cover the other movies as well)
I think Alien Vs Predator should come back and this time with a Queen alien puppet, I wish they just gave us the puppet hollywood had. Base the movie in the forest like the second movie or base the movie in a city this time. I wish the Hollywood AVP house came to Orlando. (I dont care how bad the second movie was, that would be a great house)

The FNAF IP is a interesting one, to where I can get why it'd happen; on a financial level.

It is a very popular IP for now, especially with the upcoming film and all five games, it definitely has a lot to use in terms of material.

Plus, it also has a lot of merchandise potential; along with a big fan base for these games. It'd be a potential moneymaker that I can see be triggered for the event..but.

The problem could lie to the audience and the fan base of the IP, because of the audience of the FNAF IP skewing towards a younger demographic but it's not entirely impossible that it may be easier to solve for Marketing.

Either way, I don't say it's impossible, but they'd have to deal with that hurdle before even going in for it.

With all due respect, it's a merchandising juggernaut, particularly with millennials. Like it or not, they're an increasing portion of the HHN audience pie. Hollywood had featured merchandise available at stores and carnival games - little plush figures of the robot characters - that went like hotcakes. I saw so many little Freddy's come through the house; it's a similar catch-all cult appeal like Chucky.

I'm not saying it'll happen with any certainty. I'm just saying it's a VERY real possibility, and it feels like the deliberate inclusion of special merch may have been a litmus test. (For the record, I have not played any of the games. I do like the aesthetic and homegrown quality.)

Also worth noting that you shouldn't underestimate the power and influence of YouTubers. We now have multimillion dollar companies investing in these folks with discernible returns for an influencer's endorsement of a product. FNAF successfully exploded into brick and mortar toy stores and Hot Topics with the shelf space that would make Nightmare Before Christmas blush. (Again, I'm not a big fan of "YouTubers" or any of this. But they're undeniable movers and shakers of the entertainment industry now.)

Yeah I forgot about the movie, that would make FNAF super huge. the game is already big enough but the movie will catapult it.

And yes, the Funko Pops of FNAF sell very well and are very popular as well. The Vinyl minis sell pretty well too

Disney has the rights to Alien so i dont know if a house based on the movie Aliens could be done or not (I dont know if the Disney rights cover the other movies as well)

I'm not sure where that info is coming from. Rights to both the Alien and Predators (and Prometheus as well) are owned by 20th Century Fox. Fox has a pretty decent working relationship with Universal. Probably an even better one after this year's AHS house.

I'm not sure where that info is coming from. Rights to both the Alien and Predators (and Prometheus as well) are owned by 20th Century Fox. Fox has a pretty decent working relationship with Universal. Probably an even better one after this year's AHS house.

I think he's referring to the ALIEN sequence in The Great Movie Ride, a legacy rights holding from the old MGM deal. I won't pretend to know the particulars, but Murdy has alluded to trying to get Alien and settling for Alien vs. Predator. Clearly there's some sort of holdup, especially since Uni has a solid working relationship with FOX.

Gotcha. Must be some strange sort of rights issue where they can use the likeness, but not the actual name without the "vP" half included. Very odd, I'm wondering if it only applies to use in theme park attractions.