Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
haha he doesn't beat around the bush, he plunges a spear into the bush and then says "its a riddle"

The only question for me is where it will be. Probably parade building.

I've been trying to think about scare-zone ideas, but I don't feel like any of them are overly "fresh." To fit with the '80s theme a Chernobyl Nightingales zone in NY sounds appealing, but it keeps with the apocalyptic theme in that zone. A NG-Catacombs crossover would be epic, though it wouldn't necessarily fit with an overarching theme (could be worth it though). I've seen two ideas for zones in SF (Romero zone and The Fog) but both of them are basically zones seen in 25 and 26. In Central Park I had a sort-of fresh idea of piles of uneaten Halloween candy coming to life to take revenge for being unloved (inspired by the Gravity Falls episode "Summerween"). However, with CP, if they put up the jack-o-lanterns, it's a reused concept, but if they don't, it feels bare.

Last edited:
Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
It's quite interesting to see how each location for a scare zone generally has the same vibe/theme.

Central Park: more traditional halloween
New York: chaotic/madness, world being destroyed type stuff
San Francisco: Fresh "unique" concepts
Production Central: Random
Hollywood: Stare at scenic props, usually has more story than the other zones

It's quite interesting to see how each location for a scare zone generally has the same vibe/theme.

I'd criticize them for the repeated concepts, but for the most part, I can't think of anything better (except for NightinCombs in NY and evil candy in CP). And to be fair, it seems like the streets in IOA had the same problem (PoE: Port of Evil, Marvel: same as NY now, Toon Lagoon: black and white, funhouse, JP: jungle, LC: gods/demons).

I'd criticize them for the repeated concepts, but for the most part, I can't think of anything better (except for NightinCombs in NY and evil candy in CP). And to be fair, it seems like the streets in IOA had the same problem (PoE: Port of Evil, Marvel: same as NY now, Toon Lagoon: black and white, funhouse, JP: jungle, LC: gods/demons).

I don't blame them for repeating concepts. A large zone like NY is ideal for chaos, not much you can do other than Purge type stuff. However, I do believe that the Production Central zone needs to have more focus as its the first thing people see.

I don't blame them for repeating concepts. A large zone like NY is ideal for chaos, not much you can do other than Purge type stuff. However, I do believe that the Production Central zone needs to have more focus as its the first thing people see.

So ironically, it would be easier to do different things without an overlapping theme (if A&D is actually allowed to do original content at all, which remains to be seen :/).

I know this may be a bit off topic, but I am looking to go into the creative design field for college and eventually work my way up in the ranks of Universal Creative. I want to get a good head start in the field, so could anyone tell me the program that Universal uses to design their haunted houses and overall attractions? I am just looking for some honest info. Thanks for your time.

Central Park has been something forest themed for like 5 years in a row (TrT breaking that) haha

the Production Central zone needs to have more focus as its the first thing people see.
Honestly, I think they should quit trying to do SZs in Production Central, it feels way too cramped and crowded to get quality sets AND scares, it seems it's always one or the other

So ironically, it would be easier to do different things without an overlapping theme (if A&D is actually allowed to do original content at all, which remains to be seen :/).
A&D will have original stuff. They're also a part of the process that determines what IPs are used. People need to stop acting like A&D is being shackled to these decisions and isn't being allowed to come up with stuff on their own. It really disrespects the amount of work they put into the event, collectively.
I know this may be a bit off topic, but I am looking to go into the creative design field for college and eventually work my way up in the ranks of Universal Creative. I want to get a good head start in the field, so could anyone tell me the program that Universal uses to design their haunted houses and overall attractions? I am just looking for some honest info. Thanks for your time.
First, Universal Creative has nothing to do with HHN. The event is created by a section of the Entertainment Department called Art and Design (A&D). They also design the floats for the parades and write scripts for all the internally produced shows.

That said, A&D (I'm fairly certain) uses Auto-Cad or similar software for their house layouts. The 3-D models they make for the houses are done with Google Sketch-Up. I'm not sure what Creative uses for 3-D renders. It may be Sketch-Up as well (though I'd be surprised).

It looks like the dates for MNSSHP have been officially announced. Only a matter of time (days) before we get some HHN dates, right?

^I'm betting Parade building.

Probably; it would fit that area pretty well. Hopefully the crowds of the tent mazes & the popularity of 27’s zone can draw people to TrT since it’s been such a requested IP. I really want it to do well *ik I’ve said this before but it’s gonna be such an awesome maze*

Edit: Do you guys think we’ll hear some of the music from S1&S2 in Stranger Things? The soundtrack is pretty famous and it’d be a shame if we didn’t hear “Should I Stay or Should I Go”

I really like when the scarezones are somewhat related to a house near them. It makes the event so much more cohesive. TRT near central park will be such a great way to carry that atmosphere through the attraction.

If we didn’t already know, it’s now officially confirmed by Ifrit that Trick ‘r Treat is for sure coming to the event as a house. So excited to see what they do with it, more excited to see the Dead Waters props mixed with a school bus and the zombie kids

Ifrit “confirming” isn’t an actual confirmation. Nothing’s really confirmed until it’s officially announced by HHN and UO. Ifrit was wrong about plenty last year, and other people confirmed speculated houses while Ifeit was vaguely alluding to houses with clues. Same story, different year - we already had Tick ‘r Treat on our short list.