Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone else find it a bit tacky that guests with tickets for the 28th/29th have to pay the difference to attend another date if its more expensive? I'm sure there are some locals who can just attend an evenly-priced Wednesday or Thursday later in the event, but if you're a vacationer who's only down there for a week, it's either pay up more money or try to get a refund. Feels like a cheap way to scrounge an extra $25 out of customers who already have had their vacation drastically altered by this hurricane...

After two hours of holding, I did not have better luck. In fact, they are sold out of express passes this weekend. I will try to make the best of it, but this is a huge bummer since this is my once a year trip to HHN.

After two hours of holding, I did not have better luck. In fact, they are sold out of express passes this weekend. I will try to make the best of it, but this is a huge bummer since this is my once a year trip to HHN.

That is disappointing, and I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Can't guarantee it'll produce a different outcome, but it might be worth (respectfully/diplomatically) tweeting about it and tagging Universal's social media team. No idea if they're going to be fully active during this but may be worth voicing your concern.

Don’t expect those days to be highly staffed. Lots of people saying no already. I’d expect a lot of holes per normal when they do Monday/Tuesday makeup days.

That was the case with the last "makeup" day (2017 maybe?). Still better than nothing, which technically they could get away with.

I'd still call back...the rideout team is working. If you get push back, escalate, hold your ground and be polite but stern.

I just received an email from Universal regarding refunds and such. They seem to be doubling down on that extra charge..

"Travel plans booked directly with Universal Orlando for Wednesday, Sept. 28 and Thursday, Sept. 29 can be altered without any cancellation or change fees imposed. If you reschedule your tickets to a higher-priced date, you will be required to pay the difference in price."

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
A nice bit of good news. A six house tour opened up Saturday and I was able to snag it! I still have my fingers crossed to get some kind of Express Pass on the day.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I just received an email from Universal regarding refunds and such. They seem to be doubling down on that extra charge..

"Travel plans booked directly with Universal Orlando for Wednesday, Sept. 28 and Thursday, Sept. 29 can be altered without any cancellation or change fees imposed. If you reschedule your tickets to a higher-priced date, you will be required to pay the difference in price."

Man, that is really unacceptable and poor service.

What is it with hhn this year? So many little things feel off .
New head of operations for the parks.

EDIT- (Pulling in a tangential conversation from the Winter’s Wake thread)

I don’t wanna derail the thread so forgive me Brian but I have just one (guess two) more question(s). Is Charles still a designer for the houses now, or is someone else sorta leading that? And also who is responsible for scarezones now? I know Blake was since 2016 but left I believe last year.
So, heading into 2020, the HHN team was Charles, Patrick, and Blake. Charles was the “lead” but he split house direction responsibilities with Patrick while Blake focused on Streets. This has actually been the set up for several years; Mike was predominantly oversight of the event (the lead).

The pandemic hit in 2020 and Universal had to cut staff. So, Patrick got let go (A&D lost about a third of their staff). The houses were done, regardless.

This year, Blake got a new job in Tennessee and left Universal. That left Charles in charge of directing the entire event. It sounds overwhelming, except Orlando is now run by the same person who ran Hollywood. So there’s a belief that “one person” can direct the entire event.

Now, it’s important to understand that-contextually-Blake, Patrick, and Charles-do not “design” the houses. They conceptualize, write, and produce them. The actual design is predominantly freelance work. It’s also important to know that A&D, even now, has 10-ish incredibly talented and creative people who direct individual houses. So, it’s still not a “Murdy” situation.

There was some discussion that Universal may try to bring Patrick back, but I haven’t heard anything on that in months. For a while, Universal was struggling to fill some of their designer positions because freelance can often pay more than salary, so Patrick may be content for the time being.

Last edited: