Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 161 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes waaaay too much sense.
It always bummed me out they never did a story where a bunch of other famous couples basically fought Bill and Ted for the show itself. Obviously, more recent pairings like Rick and Morty would show up, but they could also bring in Wayne and Garth, Thelma and Louis, Tom and Jerry… it would have been an absolutely chaotic blast.

Everyone knows what Garfield is, but I don't know if I would pay a ticket to an event based off of him
Lasagna is a staple of international cuisine, and brings in millions if not billions of dollars every year

Who do you think inspired THAT? It wasn't your millennial Harry Potter or Pokemans

Please do your research before posting

Blame Netflix.
Can Comcast just gobble them up already?

Do we know why exactly Netflix would not agree for the property to be used this year? I understand why they've cut ties with Hollywood, but Orlando seemed to always do the property justice and bring in huge crowds.
Something to do with their subscriber situation perhaps people want more stuff than strange things like Fear street. Also Netflix keeps canceling shows like Santa Clarita diet as a view point, it’s falling below to bring new content as in losing subscribers but I wouldn’t get too much controversial into the topic let’s just say their in hot water right now.

Do we know why exactly Netflix would not agree for the property to be used this year? I understand why they've cut ties with Hollywood, but Orlando seemed to always do the property justice and bring in huge crowds.
especially with them losing money like crazy. Weird choice if so.

Also does anyone remember when the announced the ROF dates last year? We always wait for thosie dates before we book. I feel like we should have booked by now.

Let me put it this way: I have zero netflix properties on my own speculation list and I'm still trying to hunt down why. It could be Netflix licensing has changed and they're no longer as friendly to theme park expansion, Universal messed up somehow, different direction for both parties, etc.

Lasagna is a staple of international cuisine, and brings in millions if not billions of dollars every year

Who do you think inspired THAT? It wasn't your millennial Harry Potter or Pokemans

Please do your research before posting

Wow, I guess that's on me for not doing my research (or even a quick google search :bonk:).

garfbucksmol.JPG

Had no idea Garfield was as big as it is! Sorry for the misinformation yall, I'll try to be more careful in the future.

especially with them losing money like crazy.
Netflix isn’t losing money. They lost subscribers, and “lost” isn’t exactly the right term since they booted a bunch by cutting off service in Russia.

Things like HHN houses don’t drive subs and even retention would be a tenuous argument, so there’s a host of reasons why they’d be out.

No way Universal doesn't/didn't try to get the rights for Stranger Things. No way they miss out on that cash cow. Unless Netflix jacked-up licensing fees, no reason for Universal not to pursue Stranger Things.

Even jacked up fees, unless they were ridiculous, would be in UOR's best interest to pay. Nothing since early TWD seems to have driven traffic or merch more than ST. And if they went too high, that's lost revenue to Netflix -- pocket change in the grand scheme, but still lost revenue if no one else is bidding.

Now pure speculation, but if Netflix wanted to try some sort of ST/Halloween attraction(s) on their own, that might explain the sudden breakup. (That still has yet to be confirmed.)

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Netflix isn’t losing money. They lost subscribers, and “lost” isn’t exactly the right term since they booted a bunch by cutting off service in Russia.

Things like HHN houses don’t drive subs and even retention would be a tenuous argument, so there’s a host of reasons why they’d be out.

But from Netflix's end, this wouldn't really be about new subs and/or retention.

(Although, one could argue that it's good advertising and may actually produce a small bump in subs. On top of that, creating a bigger brand identity for something like ST is always a good thing.)

But I digress. This would be about a cash-flow to them. Uni would be on the hook for an initial licensing fee and, likely a small chunk of merch sold, depending on the contract.

It's a win-win for Netflix, and I would have to think not doing ST would be a UOR decision, for whatever reason.

Even jacked up fees, unless they were ridiculous, would be in UOR's best interest to pay. Nothing since early TWD seems to have driven traffic or merch more than ST. And if they went too high, that's lost revenue to Netflix -- pocket change in the grand scheme, but still lost revenue if no one else is bidding.

Now pure speculation, but if Netflix wanted to try some sort of ST/Halloween attraction(s) on their own, that might explain the sudden breakup. (That still has yet to be confirmed.)
Personally I think the HHN brand is bigger than any specific IP they can bring in for a house. People tend to overrate a specific IP being responsible for driving visitation versus any recognizable IP the trips the GP’s mind when it’s put on a billboard.
But from Netflix's end, this wouldn't really be about new subs and/or retention.

(Although, one could argue that it's good advertising and may actually produce a small bump in subs. On top of that, creating a bigger brand identity for something like ST is always a good thing.)

But I digress. This would be about a cash-flow to them. Uni would be on the hook for an initial licensing fee and, likely a small chunk of merch sold, depending on the contract.

It's a win-win for Netflix, and I would have to think not doing ST would be a UOR decision, for whatever reason.
I have no idea how much rights fees are for an HHN house, but a couple million bucks is small potatoes to a Netflix. That’s not making any sort of dent in anyone’s perception of their cash flow. It really could have been driven by either.

Reactions: johnathanm
Personally I think the HHN brand is bigger than any specific IP they can bring in for a house. People tend to overrate a specific IP being responsible for driving visitation versus any recognizable IP the trips the GP’s mind when it’s put on a billboard.

I have no idea how much rights fees are for an HHN house, but a couple million bucks is small potatoes to a Netflix. That’s not making any sort of dent in anyone’s perception of their cash flow. It really could have been driven by either.

Do you really think HHN is more popular than Stranger Things?

Not having Stranger Things doesn't hurt the event, but it certainly does promote it beyond HHN/horror fans.

I mean...it doesn't sound like Netflix is in a position to turn down any "free money" right now. If I were them, anything to help balance the back and red on the ledger would be welcome.

My guess? And this is PURE speculation on my part. ST may have come as a later option to sign-on to HHN31, and another property that was already signed wasn't happy about potentially having to share that big of a spotlight.

Or, there may have been a level of promotion that was in both a ST licensing agreement, and another one that was already signed that were in direct conflict.

Or or, ST is still coming. And this is all for naught.

Status
Not open for further replies.