Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We also have two of the biggest IPs of all time.
Maybe having stranger things and last of us at the same time was a problem?
Obviously rush of fear and the cost of ffp tickets was a problem. Everyone rushed to buy frequent fear pass.
But the 2 IPs had to play a part. Maybe having two mega ips was bad for crowds combined with rush of fear.... .
Because universal could have saved last of us for next year.

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking. Stranger things and Last Of Us are literally the biggest tv shows of recent years, so even with the house being based on the game, the shows recent major success is definitely drawing people in. Then you have The Exorcist IP name and Chucky at the event as well. They put all those huge IPs on a year with one single show, the Kidzone construction and even little things like Mel’s being closed. All a recipe for an insane crowded park.

I imagine tonight has a chance of being somewhat 'slow' w/o FF/FFP and a high single day ticket price -- it should be slower than SUN which will have FF/FFP allowed, a single day ticket that runs $30 less than the SAT one -- Polk County has no school on Monday.

One thing I have noticed in OCT compared to SEPT is that folks do not seem to be staying as late lately. The other night was dead by 11:30 when compared to what some SEPT nights had at 1:30.

Seems pricing has a significant impact on crowd control. Even out-of-town folk are probably coming in September when everything is cheaper.
Yep, I've been one of them for 13 years now. Have always purposely come in September in an attempt to beat the crowds and take advantage of the cheaper Rush of Fear ticket that I can use all 4 nights of my trip. Doing the same trip in October would require a much more expensive FFP+ ticket if I wanted to go all 4 nights.

Honestly, I'll cop to being wrong so far on this one too.

That also being said...I have a hard time believing killing ROF will end up replicating the same effects next year. I think most people will then just move to FFP+ and maybe you'll save Saturdays during September...but maybe make the rest of the event more busy overall.

Still feel like making annual pass levels with different number of possible visits and requiring reservations is the best solution, as much as people probably don't want to hear that.

I think we all were wrong. Bias of being on an HHN-obsessed site and all that. And I totally agree, other than I think it would be FF rather than FF+, so after opening night September Fridays would be dead as well, only to have sell-outs every Sunday of the event. Plus eliminating RoF is going to upset a number of resort guests barring some new deal to compensate. I don't envy Universal having to figure this out, tho my guess is they throw their hands up and just jack up prices across the board.
Columbus Day week crowds have become historically busy at both Disney & Universal. WDW was busy the past week also. Not everyone is a HHN fan, that's why they need to keep it a one park event. ...Just curious....For those who have been to HHN in Sept. & Oct. , has there been a visible change in age demographics since the multi night tickets cutoff?

3 and 4-day vacations replaced the traditional week-long vacation earlier this century. I remember when Fall Break became a thing everywhere but Florida, so WDW was underpriced and had crowds that weekend rivaling Christmas week.

Biggest demographic shift is lack of cosplayers/bounders, probably fewer HHN shirts. Still plenty of kids. If anything, lines at Finns have gone down a bit, but that could be just lower crowd levels all around.

We also have two of the biggest IPs of all time.
Maybe having stranger things and last of us at the same time was a problem?
Obviously rush of fear and the cost of ffp tickets was a problem. Everyone rushed to buy frequent fear pass.
But the 2 IPs had to play a part. Maybe having two mega ips was bad for crowds combined with rush of fear.... .
Because universal could have saved last of us for next year.

Less horror t shirts, less bloggers, less people with horror bags or purses. Kind of
I get there at midnight. Much much less people using free parking at midnight. September was absolutely insane to park.

I'd say 2.5 mega IPs -- Chucky may still be a genre-only hit, but easily on a par with Freddy and Jason at this point. And yet ... slower than usual Columbus Day weekend and Hell Week. Where did the crowds go as Halloween season revs up? If anything, we were wrong, the IPs aren't necessarily the draw we always assumed they were, at least to casual fans. If RoF oversold, it's because HHN itself is the draw.

You're definitely right about the crowd flow, which I think supports the idea this is a casual crowd, not super-fans.

I definitely buy into the theory that maybe this year was TOO stacked (as wild as that is to say).

A lineup of ST, TLOU, Chucky and The Exorcist probably brought in a LOT of casuals - casuals who don't want to spend the October/FF money (I'm not judging, I did ROF too lol)

I'm interested to see how they handle next year and, as weird as it sounds, they may try to limit it to 1 or 2 major IPs and a few smaller ones.

It's still busy... but it is amazing how demographics change what's popular at HHN. Tribute store is manageable to visit nowadays, with near walk-on waits for most of the specialty food booths except for Surfer Boy and Chucky, higher wait-times for the rides, Darkest Deal having the lowest wait (positive for us fans lol).

Exorcist has long lines now, was rarely ever over a "true" 45-minute wait, but has been hitting 60+ (hit 75 on Saturday/Sunday at one point).

The data backs you up, busiest night yet in October (as to be expected): Halloween Horror Nights Orlando Wait Times 2023 | Thrill Data

But I also agree even Hell Week can't match September.
There were a few nights in September that 100% were oversold with no sold-out announcement.

Stay & Scream this year is very popular. I thought the crowds would die down in October with less APs... I was wrong. Not as chaotic as September (no line wrapped from NY to Minions for NY S&S), but it's still a good hour plus worth of people lined up for ST/Last of Us from the start.

Edit: I was at Epcot this past Saturday, and it was the busiest I've seen the park at in the past year or so. Rat was at one point 130-mins. Definitely wasn't the concert (Hoobastank).

I definitely buy into the theory that maybe this year was TOO stacked (as wild as that is to say).

A lineup of ST, TLOU, Chucky and The Exorcist probably brought in a LOT of casuals - casuals who don't want to spend the October/FF money (I'm not judging, I did ROF too lol)

I'm interested to see how they handle next year and, as weird as it sounds, they may try to limit it to 1 or 2 major IPs and a few smaller ones.

We have had years with stacked line ups before, but I don't know if it's social media or what is going on this year.

We have had years with stacked line ups before, but I don't know if it's social media or what is going on this year.

I think HHN has finally been impacted by what the parks have seen in the past few years where guests have gotten "smart" with their planning. Avoiding the busy days and attending the typically less busy days. Mondays and Tuesdays are just as busy (if not) more busy at the parks than a Friday or Saturday.

Is there a reason Universal hasn't switched the GAC towards a Volcano Bay style system, or moved it onto the app like Disney? When we go with my brother, who has a GAC, the wait for return times adds an insane amount of clutter to the portal (as others have said). Seems like they should either institute Disney's app integration, or use the Volcano Bay tap in system in a few different areas.

By no means am I saying this will make a large impact, but like other posters have said, there is usually 2-4 people standing awkwardly at the portal, not sure where to go or who to go to

I don't know a ton about previous lineups, but this has definitely been the most stacked lineup since I've been attending in 2016. 2019 was stacked but Stranger Things was really the only super relevant IP in the lineup.

Having a lineup this year containing 3 IPs for shows that are currently running and popular (obviously ST and TLOU on a different level than Chucky, but still) seems to be unheard of.

I think HHN has finally been impacted by what the parks have seen in the past few years where guests have gotten "smart" with their planning. Avoiding the busy days and attending the typically less busy days. Mondays and Tuesdays are just as busy (if not) more busy at the parks than a Friday or Saturday.
Guests are certainly catching on to “smarter” touring techniques, but Monday and Tuesday still remain a pleasant oasis during HHN, and not just because of the lack of the chaos surrounding HHN’s early closure.

As for the stacked lineup - good news! The Hollywood strikes are going to make it a lot harder to find hot contemporary horror properties in 2024! Seems like it might be about time for Freddy and Jason to show up again - classic slashers move merch.

As for the stacked lineup - good news! The Hollywood strikes are going to make it a lot harder to find hot contemporary horror properties in 2024! Seems like it might be about time for Freddy and Jason to show up again - classic slashers move merch.
I hadn't really thought of this - but it's a great point. Not a lot of big new stuff will be coming out over the next year (or longer).

It could be a great year for some white whale and classic horror IP!

Well technically we got 5 nights at Freddy to look forward to. ( They better do a five nights at Freddy zone or house) But
About my boys Freddy and Jason, I pray for this ... I'm a simple, humble guy. I don't ask for much lol. One house for each, please universal. Please
The boys need to come home. Please!
The yeti sets from this year are already identical to a Friday the 13th movie. They could literally reuse the same sets.

rsz_2rsz_eypqb6hxgaecspo_1.jpg