Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 229 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what’s convinced them that “Never Go Alone” is a real winner of a catchphrase, one of the few marketing elements to continue year after year. How many focus groups responded positively? Does “going” test really well?
As someone who has actually gone to HHN alone before, it strikes me as a hilariously bad tagline. They're encouraging people not to go to the event if they're alone?

I picture HHN now as a brand.

If they keep their tagline cohesive with merch and marketing it helps them grow the said brand. That is why they are keeping “Never go alone”, amongst other reasons listed above by others.
I like to think that the reason we got last years Hot Topic merch drop and why they are now spreading to Vegas is to build brand awareness, obviously. I’m intrigued to see the other unique ways they attempt to spread the “brand awareness”.

I think sometime soon I’ll start a thread on how HHN affects other brands (IPs) and really study if we can see notable influxes if a film/musician/ or tv show sees interest or increases in sales the time it’s announced or by the events duration.

Does HHN really affect other brands? Did Killer Klowns peak more interests because of HHN? Can we see a correlation of albums sold by The Weeknd because of his presence at the event?

This is a loaded question and I’ll stop it here, but I think it’s interesting to think if HHN has any positive control over the properties it features at the event and if we can physically see it though numbers.

Not to strike fear, but I'm wondering if FF passes with the exception of Ultimate being blocked out from HHN opening weekend?

Last year was not a fun coinciding with Labor day

Problem is, without multi-night passes, won't be that busy in all the social media videos/photos. I think they like the chaos opening weekend--very few people not on RIP tours those nights won't be back again and again. And it makes HHN look like THE event of the season.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
It achieves:
1. The Implication of a Scary Event
2. It's an event to be enjoyed with friends
3. A call to action - when you do go, don't go alone. Key being when you go.

Its not "hip" but it does a great job.

These things aren't just thought up - they're tested for maximum return by a billion dollar company for a million dollar event.

Also you guys keep posting it so...
Not to dwell on this, because it’s silly and inconsequential, but…

One of the reasons it’s an odd catchphrase is that it ISN’T a call to action. Rather than urging positive action, it’s only telling you what NOT to do! You can fully comply with the marketing slogan by avoiding the event! I’m no ad genius, but I’m not sure making the first word in your brand catchphrase negative is great under any circumstances. As has been mentioned, it’s also oddly exclusionary towards those guests who DO go alone.

Again, none of this has any meaningful impact on the event. It’s just a very minor point of interest.

I can’t believe we finally get an announcement and somehow end up going straight to having this discussion for a third year in a row lol.

It’s just the Scooby Doo trope. Splitting up and going alone in the show or any horror movie would be dangerous, spooky, scary, etc. It’s silly horror movie logic for a fun haunt event. Real straight forward “bring your friends so that you’re safe from the horrors of the event” stuff. Safety in numbers, etc. The slogan was even in the initial draft script of the “horror movie rules” portion of Scream 3.

Opposite of a flex here, but I’ve been going alone for years now and I could not feel less attacked by a slogan that’s just preaching horror movie rules :lol:

Last edited:
This is what I am hoping it is. Bigfoot, Skunk Ape, Yeti 2, and Japanese Yetis were the four ideas passed to me. I haven't put much confidence in it because I can't get a whole lot of info. Especially when being told, "It's Yeti 2". Just sounds kinda.... out there.

Skunk Ape is ripe for a Sprung, but I keep hearing this Yeti house is in a Soundstage. Attack of the Swamp Yeti is basically Skunk Ape, so maybe we're finally getting a full-fledged house based on that concept.

Universal Monstinks: Yet-gends Collide!! house confirmed.

I can never remember which is the more respected, one of the two usual suspects has an updated spec map:

Random thoughts:
  • "Devil Went Down to GA" is copyrighted to Hell and back, I find it hard to believe this is an original house with that title. And if it's more "Crossroads"/Robert Johnson, it's an odd description. Two very different stories/vibes.
  • Placement doesn't totally match recent rumors here.
  • Dragon house now renaissance? Traditionally more of a medieval trope (even tho, of course, totally fictional). They just play better with knights and castles.
  • Dr. Oddfellow's Carnival been the most consistent original. Implies a lot of work going into it, and a lot of pride in that work leaking out. In that modern-era golden spot, too. Thinking this will be a strong HotY contender.
ETA: later confirmed Megan's "R" = roaming horde.

I can never remember which is the more respected, one of the two usual suspects has an updated spec map:

Random thoughts:
  • "Devil Went Down to GA" is copyrighted to Hell and back, I find it hard to believe this is an original house with that title. And if it's more "Crossroads"/Robert Johnson, it's an odd description. Two very different stories/vibes.
  • Dragon house now renaissance? Traditionally more of a medieval trope (even tho, of course, totally fictional). They just play better with knights and castles.
  • Dr. Oddfellow's Carnival been the most consistent original. Implies a lot of work going into it, and a lot of pride in that work leaking out. In that modern-era golden spot, too. Thinking this will be a strong HotY contender.

These are the less respected ones, we try our best to stick with HNN maps.

Also, while a renaissance house would actually be pretty cool, I think they're sticking with medieval and dragons for this year.

I would assume so. Something like "Experience TLOU in a house AND in the streets!"
Yeah, I mean, we don't have much to go off of in the recent past, but TWD house/scarezones were announced on the same day in 2013.

Random thoughts:

Unfortunately, Hallowed is very much so not respected for a multitude of reasons hah. They bet the house on Nope last year, have a history of just waiting until actual insiders post scoops on here and the Discord to post their maps, etc. It's essentially just what I compiled from all of the rumors/actual insiders back in mid-May (in the below quote), but swapping the Japanese Myth for Yeti/Swamp Ape which was added to the discussion mere days after my summary. Their maps this year have had things such as: 11 houses (only after it was discussed on Discord), a Ghost scarezone, Evil Dead, "Mystery Metal IP" (after the guitar/lightning bolt were posted on the HNNightmares map), Leave It To Cleaver 2, DMP 2, Dawn FM, Saw, Lair of The Banshees (after HNNightmares put it on their V1 map), etc.

If I were to make a Spec Map 3.0 from everything that's been discussed between spec maps and insider clues/confirmations:

IP Houses:
- Chucky (announced) [Located in the F&F Queue]
- The Last of Us [Naughty Dog]
- Universal Monsters: Paris
- The Exorcist: Believer
- Stranger Things (Seems to be the only one being disputed currently)

Original Houses:
- Oddfellow
- Dragons (Fantasy aligned house with Dueling Dragons easter eggs)
- Urban Legends: Robert Johnson-esque tale
- Witch or Cult based house (mixed info here)
- Japanese Myth

Last edited:
Problem is, without multi-night passes, won't be that busy in all the social media videos/photos. I think they like the chaos opening weekend--very few people not on RIP tours those nights won't be back again and again. And it makes HHN look like THE event of the season.

That is true, Universal isn't afraid of crowds. I just hope they properly train their TMs instead of throwing them into the fire on Day 1 like last year. No guest should ever wait more than 45 minutes for a $8 snack that's already been prepped and just sitting under a lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.