Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 88 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The way you framed it, no, it was a leading question. This how "rumors" get started with no basis. Folks get all worked up thinking they're getting something they want, and then everyone is frustrated and disappointed when it doesn't happen.

So I'll say it: At this point, no, I don't think Sweets is going to be an icon. I also don't think the clue (if it's even accurate, which I'm not convinced it is) would point to something so obvious.
The “basis” was the lolipop on the spec map which could be referring to sweets. I did not intend to start a rumor, it was an assumption, and was very much a joke.

It may have been a joke, but a Legitimate thought none the less.

I don’t know why it would be my fault if people assumed we were getting sweets as an icon because I made a comment about it. I didn’t state anything with fact, if anything it was the complete opposite, as the reason why I added the question mark.

The “basis” was the lolipop on the spec map which could be referring to sweets. I did not intend to start a rumor, it was an assumption, and was very much a joke.

It may have been a joke, but a Legitimate thought none the less.

I don’t know why it would be my fault if people assumed we were getting sweets as an icon because I made a comment about it. I didn’t state anything with fact, if anything it was the complete opposite, as the reason why I added the question mark.

Clive was just trying to be cautious; that even in the event the lollipop is indeed pointing towards Sweets - it's a big leap to then assume it means Sweets can be an Icon.

I would also just like to add, not in response to anyone in particular, but because of I've seen it mentioned a lot in many different places that A Quiet Place isn't viable because HHN can never be *truly* quiet-

That doesn't matter. HHN haunts have always had different volume dynamics between scenes- sure, the ambient noise of screams and background music is always going to be present, but a scene with only a single actor trigger is going to seem a lot more quiet and tense than a scene with multiple actor triggers, animatronics, pneumatic air effects, etc. Soundproofing has been used in The Last of Us, Hill House and Graveyard Games to varying effects, and while I don't think it's necessary to sell the concept, it's also still a viable option for any "truly" quiet scenes- but A Quite Place doesn't need to be *so* quiet you can hear your heartbeat to work well.

It's like saying Dead Man's Pier: Winter's Wake didn't work because the temperature wasn't really below freezing, there was no real blizzard and you couldn't see the actor's breath- HHN did a great job at doing enough to sell the concept, and the usual suspension-of-disbelief filled in the rest of the gaps.

That doesn't meant it will work, I just don't think that should be the sole reason that many immediately discard the idea.

Last edited:
I think A Quiet Place is a tough sell for many reasons, the largest of which is (to me) that it can't convincingly communicate the movie's best gimmick. But even if you move beyond that, or use the prequel instead, you're left with monsters that I don't think will translate well to a haunted house. So much of the movie's success relies on its tension: Knowing that someone is going to make a noise before being whisked away to a horrible (off-screen!) death.

Obviously, I'm not a creative in charge of designing a haunted attraction. But I have a hard time seeing an angle that would make it worth acquiring the rights to a fairly successful horror franchise.

With recent icons like Pumpkin Lord and Oddfellow, they were connected by the scarezones either through a general theme (Pumpkin Lord) or a chronological story (oddfellow). How would they achieve that with Sweets without just making them all “location ravaged by evil candy”? If that’s the direction they’d still want to go with future icons, Curator lends himself much better to that kind of connectivity imo.

Reactions: c.layso
You guys realize that they are capable of creating icons that aren't tied to anything we've seen before, right? It isn't always just elevating a preexisting character?
I would be absolutely for a completely original icon, in fact I’d prefer it!

Those are a little harder to speculate on though since the canvas is completely blank.

I feel like the goal in bringing any icon to the event- pre-existing or not- would be to evolve what worked before. IMO, Major Sweets seems too close to Oddfellow, a charismatic and suave facade with sinister intentions. Re-hashing the "I'm going to 'secretly' turn everyone into my minions" theme right after a successful resurgence of face-character icons at the event just doesn't seem like the play.

Do I have any idea what a potential Icon could be? No. But I'm pretty confident it'll either be something original, or someone who's had more appearances than just being the face of a recent scare zone- that is, to say, if there even is one this year.

Last edited:
Then... and I am trying to say this as politely as possible... maybe we shouldn't speculate about icons until we have reason to believe one is coming?
I would counter that with the fact that the spec map has two symbols that pretty pointedly hint at returning originals with very specific characters tied to them that, at least on the surface, have “icon potential” and have been discussed as potential icons before by fans.

So while spec on such things may be very premature, it’s not like it’s coming out of absolute nowhere here.

I would counter that with the fact that the spec map has two symbols that pretty pointedly hint at returning originals with very specific characters tied to them that, at least on the surface, have “icon potential” and have been discussed as potential icons before by fans.

So while spec on such things may be very premature, it’s not like it’s coming out of absolute nowhere here.

Declaring that a character has "icon potential" doesn't make it so, though. And I think you're potentially jumping to conclusions by assuming that some of these symbols undeniably point to returning originals.

I'm mostly just trying to help you guys avoid disappointing yourselves. There's not even any guarantee we're getting an icon this year.

As far as the idea of Quiet Place goes, I actually think it would make more sense for it to be based on the one coming this summer. It's set on the first day of the invasion, so people don't know that noise is what attracts them. Therefore, you don't have to work around the obvious obstacles that translating the original film would present

As far as the idea of Quiet Place goes, I actually think it would make more sense for it to be based on the one coming this summer. It's set on the first day of the invasion, so people don't know that noise is what attracts them. Therefore, you don't have to work around the obvious obstacles that translating the original film would present
That's....actually not a bad point. The biggest obstacle in that case would be the monster designs. There would have to be a lot of puppet effects.

Reactions: Ahmanet
I never got to see them as those were before my time lol, my thought was more towards HOW the rumored show would look, something akin to a B&T set with a lot of detail and props, or something with a more minimalistic design focusing on the "performance"
The magic shows I remember had virtually zero theming. Basically done on the Animal Actors stage with the magician's name on the video screen.

More thoughts on codenames if the map really does confirm:

Flan - could be recycled a Mayan house that was cut to build Transformers from 2012 (Mayan prophecy was big that year). Based on twin heroes who fight monsters as I recall. Weird to have this and a Greek mythology house the same year, but certainly not impossible.

S'Mores -- I think @DannyPowers accurately called this even before the Cadillac logo, toasted marshmallow man = GB

Fudge - obvious Wonka reference feels too obvious, but clearly Major Sweets

Cobbler - shot in the dark, but if we're doing Greek and Mayan, maybe Celtic mythology/banshee. (Leprechauns are cobblers of the non-dessert variety.) The icon this year will be a comparative religions professor.

But again these all seem just too on-the-nose and easy.

Remember this is spec map version 1.0… rarely are they accurate at this point in spec season.

There’s a reason they used symbols… and symbols leave a lot open to interpretation. I haven’t heard anyone say Candyman (or Killy Wonka) yet for the lollipop which could also make sense. We are kind of grasping at straws here if we think anything can really be deciphered at this time.

Declaring that a character has "icon potential" doesn't make it so, though. And I think you're potentially jumping to conclusions by assuming that some of these symbols undeniably point to returning originals.

I'm mostly just trying to help you guys avoid disappointing yourselves. There's not even any guarantee we're getting an icon this year.
Whether a character has icon potential or not is completely subjective, I personally don’t think Sweets would work as one but others clearly disagree. If crestive ever thinks they have something there with him great! You and I might not see much in him but in the end that doesn’t really matter if they do.

As for the symbols being wrong, I’m very aware, and I’m sure most here are as well, that V1 spec maps are not very accurate, especially the originals. What I was saying is that the current map, which is the current basis for spec, has symbols that hint towards the possibility of those originals. So people bringing those originals up as possibilities isn’t/wasn’t unfounded, wrong or not.

Whether a character has icon potential or not is completely subjective, I personally don’t think Sweets would work as one but others clearly disagree. If crestive ever thinks they have something there with him great! You and I might not see much in him but in the end that doesn’t really matter if they do.

As for the symbols being wrong, I’m very aware, and I’m sure most here are as well, that V1 spec maps are not very accurate, especially the originals. What I was saying is that the current map, which is the current basis for spec, has symbols that hint towards the possibility of those originals. So people bringing those originals up as possibilities isn’t/wasn’t unfounded, wrong or not.
You’re basing this off generic symbols, don’t forget….

You’re basing this off generic symbols, don’t forget….
Yes that’s my point, generic symbols are all we have here, they leave open multiple possibilities, possibilities that include said originals. What you think they might lead to or not is up to you and your best guesses. People thinking a lollipop might mean a Sweet Revenge house is a completely fair guess at the moment, even if it ends up being wrong. That’s all I’m trying to say here.

Reactions: krazyhorrorkid