Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 122 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While some houses might have finishing touches here/there, considering the event starts on the 30th (which means EP night that week as well), the houses will pretty much be completed before the UTH tours start. Keep in mind, they kinda need to be more or less "show ready" for rehearsals too.

With that being said, going through a house with the lights on is a drastic difference from going through with show lights & scareactors. A lot of scenes don't even look the same with show lighting. There really isn't any need to worry about spoilers (especially if it's an IP, you're already familiar with the content).

Hell, I remember back in the day we had house blueprints leaked. I miss those lol.. I remember going through both Scary Tales & Creatures mentally checking off each scene in my head & where to turn in the darkness.

Ironically, when you work as a scareactor (or staff) in a house, you can still get lost/turned around when it's in "show mode".

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I’m not sure if Orlando does media tours the same way Hollywood does, so this theory might be crap. But assuming they’ll be giving walkthroughs to two or three mazes a month out from the event anyway, I could see the incentive to monetize that experience. Essentially allowing guests to pay for a tour that they’re already planning on giving.

But, who knows! I will say that as someone who’s gone on a few of these tours, it’s never impacted how much I’ve enjoyed the mazes when it’s dark out.

Both coasts do HHN media a little differently. I know Hollywood gets to preview 2 mazes beforehand, whereas Orlando doesn't show their hand til opening night; so it is an unusual approach for this year.

I get it - but I think a better play would be to combine last year's efforts with the food offerings with a 1-house preview before the event started.

I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about this. Starting these UTH tours 19 days before the event starts and in early-mid August is such a weird decision. Like aren't the houses usually still unfinished by this point too? Are they going to speed up construction on 3 of the houses or are the tours just going to show off whatever houses they choose unfinished? It's just going to suck avoiding spoilers for 3 of the houses for 19 days.

Not a huge fan of this, but it is what it is. Feels like it'll take away from some of the excitement of TM Preview and opening night unfortunately. But it was the obvious next step in getting the sweet, sweet influencer dollars after the addition of the food preview event.

With that being said, going through a house with the lights on is a drastic difference from going through with show lights & scareactors. A lot of scenes don't even look the same with show lighting. There really isn't any need to worry about spoilers (especially if it's an IP, you're already familiar with the content).
I disagree. While I understand that the houses are much different during the tours vs the actual event, I just would prefer going into a house without seeing any of it from the inside for my first time. I never watch any early videos and avoid pictures of hhn houses before I go for my first visit

Dang, so will we be dodging house photography spoilers as early as mid-August this year?

I do like the shirt and punk aesthetic they are leaning into here. Gives a much more unique vibe than the very minimalist HHN logo with a new number attached to the back end we've been getting since before I started following HHN almost a decade ago. The Orange gives a cheesy vibe that I honestly love. I've got way too many black HHN graphic tees at this point, so a drastic change like this is pretty fun to see.

While some houses might have finishing touches here/there, considering the event starts on the 30th (which means EP night that week as well), the houses will pretty much be completed before the UTH tours start. Keep in mind, they kinda need to be more or less "show ready" for rehearsals too.

Hell, I remember back in the day we had house blueprints leaked. I miss those lol.. I remember going through both Scary Tales & Creatures mentally checking off each scene in my head & where to turn in the darkness.

Ironically, when you work as a scareactor (or staff) in a house, you can still get lost/turned around when it's in "show mode".
They do look different with lights on, but they do explain effects/scares. Plus even if it’s an IP, there’s still the question of what scenes/scares they use, plus it’s probably a 5/5 split so original on the tour is likely.

They do look different with lights on, but they do explain effects/scares. Plus even if it’s an IP, there’s still the question of what scenes/scares they use
I'm the tech geek that enjoys all the "behind the scenes" magic revealed when the curtain is pulled back. It's never affected the experience. Even working a house didn't detract from it either.

You might as well never read a book that a movie or series is based on. Never watch teasers/trailers. Set photos, etc. When it comes to HHN, with the mindset of spoilers, might as well avoid construction updates.

plus it’s probably a 5/5 split so original on the tour is likely.
Of course there will be an original on the tour. They have to show of their own slash-terpiece. Especially if they offer the 6 house tour.

For the aesthetic of the merch/logo etc, I'm honestly digging the punk/grunge vibe here! After a couple years of 80's/Neon/Vaporwave and traditional Halloween and Occult vibes, I'm completely fine with them switching it up like this. And the Punk/Grunge vibe is probably the closest we're going to get to a 90's-ish theme, as you can play with the look of punk a lot more than plain denim and flannel.

Now I've seen elsewhere folks are complaining that the visuals/colors don't convey "Horror" and the like. To which I say this...the whole 80's/Neon/Vaporwave aesthetic sure as heck didn't convey Horror either, but that didn't stop that from being a fan favorite now did it?

What's also intriguing is sometimes the initial preview merch is a bit of an outlier compared to the main merch that shows up later on, great example being last years "See You in the Fog" which was generic, and didn't fit the Occult/Zodiac vibes of the event. But this year's preview merch has some personality to it, which makes me less inclined to say it's an outlier.

I'm the tech geek that enjoys all the "behind the scenes" magic revealed when the curtain is pulled back. It's never affected the experience. Even working a house didn't detract from it either.
I enjoy that as well, but I can’t say that after doing a tour I don’t enjoy that house even more since I know more about it. Or will look or point out things I know of bc of the tour. The tour will give spoilers, it’s just the nature of doing that. But it’s up to you if you don’t want to worry about them.
You might as well never read a book that a movie or series is based on.
Um okay?…
Never watch teasers/trailers. Set photos, etc. When it comes to HHN, with the mindset of spoilers, might as well avoid construction updates.
I do try to avoid construction updates. But if I see them I see them.
Of course there will be an original on the tour. They have to show of their own slash-terpiece. Especially if they offer the 6 house tour.
Most definitely if it’s a 6 house tour, but looks like only the 3 house one is early (at least for now)

Just because tours start on Aug. 11th doesn't necessarily mean the full lineup will be released by then- I'm also expecting a strict no photo / video rule, but I can see Universal's social media team utilizing a lot of promotional photos from those haunts before opening night.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, Ghostbusters features in some way over the summer- tribute store, pop-up entertainment, something something, and the Ghostbusters haunt is featured as a semi-cross promotion / building hype for the event, and maybe even the overall focus is on 3 haunts that have a bigger appeal than normal to the non-HHN crowd.

Also, unless both haunts within SS23 / 24 are featured on the tour, I can't see either one of those locations being featured- too easy for someone to simply wander off to the other side and see things that Uni may not want revealed.

While personally I think these early tours would kill the hype a little bit for me, I'm intrigued to see how they work out and what the impact is- but I personally just can't see any haunt photos or videos making it onto the web before Aug. 30th that aren't from Universal themselves.

Just because tours start on Aug. 11th doesn't necessarily mean the full lineup will be released by then- I'm also expecting a strict no photo / video rule, but I can see Universal's social media team utilizing a lot of promotional photos from those haunts before opening night.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, Ghostbusters features in some way over the summer- tribute store, pop-up entertainment, something something, and the Ghostbusters haunt is featured as a semi-cross promotion / building hype for the event, and maybe even the overall focus is on 3 haunts that have a bigger appeal than normal to the non-HHN crowd.

Also, unless both haunts within SS23 / 24 are featured on the tour, I can't see either one of those locations being featured- too easy for someone to simply wander off to the other side and see things that Uni may not want revealed.

While personally I think these early tours would kill the hype a little bit for me, I'm intrigued to see how they work out and what the impact is- but I personally just can't see any haunt photos or videos making it onto the web before Aug. 30th that aren't from Universal themselves.
I'd be very inclined to disagree. The full dump last year was July 28th, with the event starting September 1st. Now with it starting August 30th? Wouldn't be surprised if we see the full dump mid-July.

Reactions: Kichkinet85
I think they mean that not all 10 houses will be tourable by August 11th. Not that we wouldn't know the full lineup via marketing and press releases.

Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Reactions: Robert Bliss
I think the tour will only be the ST houses and that it will remain at 3. The SS houses were not normally on the 3 house anyway I believe, correct me if I’m wrong. Also like @SixBillium said, if it’s a shared SS it would be to easy to wander off and see the other house.

I can’t see them wanting and having 9 houses out of 10 ready for guest. Maybe if they have the 3 houses on the 3 house tour and 6 house tour, like they did in past years until they changed it, but I don’t see them going back on that.

I'd be very inclined to disagree. The full dump last year was July 28th, with the event starting September 1st. Now with it starting August 30th? Wouldn't be surprised if we see the full dump mid-July.
I mean, HHN 30 had its original dump on August 12 and that year started September 3.

Don't see why you'd have to do the full reveal for HHN 33 in mid-July when it's just a two-day difference between this year's opening night and last year's. July 26 is a fine day for the full reveal.

I'm tired of arguing with people on Facebook so I'll post this here. The design style is an early to mid 2000s aesthetic called Frutiger Metro.

I don't think I explained that as well as I could have lol, but I was just trying to provide the counterargument that, as far as we know, early Unmasking tours doesn't guarantee that every secret has to be spilled by that point. I can't recall if Hollywood's full lineup has been revealed before Murdy has done the media walkthroughs before the event, but just the way I look at it, those 3 haunts are gonna be the big HHN buzz as soon as tours start- so it makes sense to me to either have the full reveal before the tours start, or days / a week later when every HHN headline isn't "SNEAK PEEK AT 3 HAUNTED HOUSES" and the rest of the lineup gets buried. Of course, it would make sense to have everything revealed by then (or at least the IPs) so each article can end with that media stinger, but I've seen stranger things before.

FWIW, I'd assume a reveal around end-of-July so August can gradually ramp up the marketing and hype each week. Release some podcasts and tidbits before the tours start, highlight the promo pics and "sneak peeks" the first week of the tour, then release more podcasts and hype up the rest of the lineup once the sneak peeks are old news.