Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear | Page 134 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm saving an official review until the event is over, and definitely won't be going into spoilers, but after opening night here is where I stand so far in house rankings - best to worst (I fully expect these to shift around at least a little by the end though...):

1) Hades - costume design in this house is epic
2) Horror Nights - simply for the classic HHN vibe
3) Legendary Truth - a bit more "outside the box" than what we expect from an HHN house
4) Psychoscareapy - not the best of the series, but great design
5) The Orfanage - I've been hearing general negative reviews for this one, but honestly I dig it
6) Catacombs - Feels weird for this one to be all the way down at #6 considering how generally awesome it was. Only reason would be there's not much variety... it generally is the same scene from beginning to end. Still great though.
7) Zombiegeddon - This one could shift up with a few more runs, but so far... meh.
8) Havoc - Decent scares, but not very creative.

And I have to touch on Bill & Ted: I haven't heard a single positive word on it from anyone. But personally I honestly didn't think it was bad. Maybe not the best, but it felt consistent to what I expect at least. (But, admittedly, I had a nice beer buzz kicking when I attended - which could only help I guess :lol:)

1) Hallow'd Past
2) Legendary Truth
3) Psychoscarepy
4) Zombiegeddon
5) Orfanage
6) Hades
7) Catacombs
8) Havoc

So far that is my rankings, some might change as well. Overall a good year.

Here's my super short grade review of each house...

1- Legendary Truth- C
2- Hades- C+
3- Psychoscareapy- A-
4- ZombieGeddon- A
5- Havoc- B-
6- Catacombs- B+
7- Hallow'd Past- A
8- The Orfanage- C

So far, I feel like last year had stronger houses. But that's just me. But I definitely see more room for improvement as the event goes on and I know it'll happen.

Currently, ZombieGeddon is my favorite and The Orfanage is my least favorite.

Short rankings, review to come.
Houses:
1. Psychoscarepy: 5/5
2. Catacombs: 5/5
3. Havoc: 4.5/5
4. Hallow'd Past: 4/5
5. Zombiegeddon: 3.5/5
6. Legendary Truth: 2/5 (might've just had a bad spot in line or gone in during a cast change)

Scarezones:
1. Saws N Steam: 5/5
2. The Coven: 5/5
3. Escuelto Muerto: 5/5
4. 20 Years of Fear: 4/5
5. Fear Revealed: 4/5
6. Zombie Gras: 3.5/5

I'd give this year an 8.5/10, wish I could've gone to Hades and the Orfanage, though.

I finally have gotten back from opening night and it was amazing. Let me just start by saying, this year is much better than last year, IMO. Here's my short review:

Legendary Truth - This house was great! The scareactors were on top of their game for the most part and I love the Paranormal guys at the entrance. It had some of the best effects I've ever seen in a haunted house. The houses effects and looks made this house for me but the scares were definitely still out there, just not as much as I hoped. Rating: 7/10

Psychoscareapy - Before starting, let me note that this was my first "Psychoscareapy" house. This house's atmosphere, even right from the start, really added to the fear. The scareactors were completely on their A-game and nailing the scares. I really love the concept of this house and thought it played out really well this year. Rating: 8/10

Zombie-freaking-Geddon - This may have easily have been one of my favorite houses of this, or ever. The ZAP entrance video had me and my group laughing several times and kept us entertained while in line. The first room in, I see something that makes me love A&D a little more: A Zombieland reference stating "Free Twinkie with every purchase". The scares were far more than present as I got possibly the most brutal scare of my life. I was looking down a scareactor hallway because there was a dead body and out of nowhere, a zombie scareactor nails me and a friend so hard that we legitimately fell. One of the best moments of the night. Rating: 10/10

Hallow'd Past - Hallow'd Past surprised me in certain aspects and I enjoyed it. The first couple of seconds lacked scares, but I enjoyed that factor a lot. It allowed you to look at all of the past props beforehand without being distracted by scares. I was extremely happy to see the return of the spinning tunnel and the icon faces on it were a great touch. There were a few scares here and there but it seemed like they didn't want this house to be all about scares. I will admit, one section got me both times with three of the same scareactors in a row. I loved the interaction I got with Chance, the Caretaker and the Director. The only question I have: Both times I went through the Treaks and Foons room, the Treaks/Foons didn't move yet I recall them being casted. Did I just completely miss the scare or were they props? Rating: 8/10

Catacombs - This house was the sleeper hit of the year in my opinion. The scares were very much-so present, the facade was odd but worked IMO, and the details really worked for this house. Next to Zombiegeddon, I think this was my other favorite house of the year. Rating: 10/10

Havoc: Dogs of War - I agree with the lack of excitement everyone is showing this house. There really wasn't much too this house and honestly, it wasn't too memorable. The scareactors tried hard and several of them did succeed well but it just didn't do it for me. Rating 6/10

Orfanage - Why is it that Cindy's house has to be the worst house of the year? I really thought this house could break the Jaws curse but I was wrong. I'm pretty sure I only saw Cindy once for about 2 seconds. The fire was a good idea on paper but seemed out of place with the way they did it. Rating: 5/10

I'll finish my review in a little bit including my review of Hades. :thumbs:

Yay! Universal finally have me the edited version of my inside-the-haunted houses footage. They edited it down from an hour to only 30 seconds, but oh well....I'm just thrilled enough that they let me film inside: http://exm.nr/aVV6q2

The Frightanic shot and the fire effect in Orfanage came out really good, considering they just gave us little flips.

My favorite house right now is Catacombs, but of course I've only been through most of them twice so far. Loving the steam punks too...they ran me into the ground last night,

Do u think that on october 9th there would be express passes available at the ticket counters or do they usually get sold out?

OMG, I just love the new VIP Lounge. They didn't have any presentations going on inside of it yesterday, but I could have stayed in there forever just looking at the memorabilia. I had a tight schedule because it was media night, but I did a 20+ picture slide show so you can judge whether it's worth the $9.95 upcharge: http://exm.nr/dueLhn It was mostly props from recent years, but of course you can see plenty of old stuff in Hallowed Past. I wish I could just hang out in the first part of that house for an hour or so.

Reactions: Felipe
I saw a video where is a Chainsaw in a house!! can someone tell which one it is, Im really scared of them and I dont want it to be a surprise. If there too many spoilers send me msg. Thx

There are no chainsaws in the houses. If you saw it in the videos where we were allowed to film in the houses, be aware that everyone did some filming in the zones too and Uni did a mashup.