Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 86 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said it did
It’s just an opinion, based on raising 2 kids. I KNOW what my children, and their social group, considered a kiddie ride, and thus beneath them. They would 100% consider that Mack coaster to be a kiddie ride and would have zero interest in riding it, and that’s even though both my kids grew up with HP and had me queuing at midnight for the books lol

From what I’ve seen of Arthur I would put it on a par with mermaid or phantom manor, or maybe even ET. How many 12/13 year olds do you see having a ball on those?

I’ve never said it had to be a scream machine for the Potter crowd. I’ve said that to round out the area it needs (imho) to be far more thrilling than that Mack coaster.

Here is the thing though, you are automatically thinking that the DC Replacement, if it is the Mack InvertPow, that it will be a clone of Arthur in layout. And that should be wiped away from thought right from the getgo.

The Mack Inverted Power Coaster, has only had two implementations of it's ride system in the world, the first being Arthur at Europa and the other being Dragon Gliders from Motiongate Dubai. And both, do have distinct and different layouts, that are tailor made to their environments. Universal has a lot of land there to flesh out the ride system, making it more thrilling than other versions of the InvertPow, while also still being a family coaster. And that with Universal wanting to flesh out the parks more, it makes sense to get a family coaster that can offer variety to everyone, and not just to one distinct crowd.

If you dismiss one option because of just one example, then perhaps the viewpoint needs to be widened out more.

And also, for those wondering; this is the official ride system page from the Mack website..
Inverted Powered Coaster » Mack Rides

Reactions: Magistra
I never said it did
It’s just an opinion, based on raising 2 kids. I KNOW what my children, and their social group, considered a kiddie ride, and thus beneath them. They would 100% consider that Mack coaster to be a kiddie ride and would have zero interest in riding it, and that’s even though both my kids grew up with HP and had me queuing at midnight for the books lol

From what I’ve seen of Arthur I would put it on a par with mermaid or phantom manor, or maybe even ET. How many 12/13 year olds do you see having a ball on those?

I’ve never said it had to be a scream machine for the Potter crowd. I’ve said that to round out the area it needs (imho) to be far more thrilling than that Mack coaster.
I think you're a little too caught up on this 12-13 year old demo, that's not where the money is. No, not everything has to be suitable for everyone, but I think what they seem to be aiming for will round out the area much more than a coaster like DC. Currently (just including the rides that you exit back out into Hogsmeade after), you have FJ, a thrill ride, FotH, kiddy coaster, and you'll have this new highly themed family coaster, that a MUCH wider demographic will be able to enjoy.

Based on what little we know, this doesn't sound like anything that any Potter fan, young or old, is going to look at and consider a kiddy ride that is "beneath them".

DC could easily have been made to fit... canonically, with dragons being shown several times in the books/films
Except you never see two dragons at the same time, and you never see them duel. So, no. It wouldn’t fit canonically. We see single dragons destroy buildings. Two dragons together wouldn’t be contained to a quarry without laying waste to everything.

I think I have a solution. I propose two rides: a calming boat ride that literally takes you to a different dimension where Harry Potter is real and a dueling RMC strata coaster vaguely themed to Harry Potter.

Everyone's happy

I think the days of extreme coasters, like Hulk & DC, at IOA/Studios, are gone. They might put one extreme thrill coaster in the new park, but I think that's the extent of thrilling pure steel coasters we'll see from future Universal....Just my guess, but that's the direction they're probably going in.

Reactions: Magistra
We need to set some specifics here. In the industry a family ride is something a majority of the family can experience together, this includes rides that are thrilling and have height requirements.

A kiddie ride is something specifically designed for kids who can sit up by themselves and are a certain height (which is why the rides have a maximum height requirement.)

This is a kiddie ride.

used-KIDDIE-RIDE-1_800.jpg

Having a ride that is more designed for the whole family is not bad. It also does not preclude thrills or thrilling elements, BTMR is a family ride.

Extreme rides, like Dragon Challenge, not only have intense elements that would cause discomfort to guests but the safety restraints also preclude some from riding.

Just because one is angry Dragon Challenge was removed does not make the replacement bad, even if it’s less intense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the days of extreme coasters, like Hulk & DC, at IOA/Studios, are gone. They might put one extreme thrill coaster in the new park, but I think that's the extent of thrilling pure steel coasters we'll see from future Universal....Just my guess, but that's the direction they're probably going in.

I'm fine with that. Ultimately these parks are trying to attract families and if you have a good portion of rides that kids can't ride, then that's not really attractive. While I like the extreme coasters I'm sure that's not what people want when they take their families to the park and want to experience Harry Potter attractions together.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The theming didn’t work with the tri-wizard cup, while they duelled, it didn’t fit canonically. After the duelling stopped it technically did as you, as one champion were on one dragon, whilst other champions were on another. We don’t know what happened to the other champions when they faced the dragon

I’m not simply basing my thoughts on just Arthur, I’ve looked at the other one as well. Whilst I have no doubt that creative can theme it excellently, I can’t see them putting in a cobra roll lol

The target audience for HP is 11 plus. The HP rides should be the same IMHO
Says... who?

For Universal, the target audience for HP is whoever will buy wands, butterbeer- and book a trip to see it.

Since you get to anecdotally speak on behalf of all 12-13 year olds because you've had them- let me speak on behalf of all 5 year olds. They love Harry Potter and getting wands. So do all 8 year olds in the world based on my 8 year old.

But let's pretend, for arguments sake- that only 11 year olds like Potter. How many 11 year olds have siblings? At some point the oldest of the siblings will have a younger sibling- say 8 or 9 (or younger?). Is Universal supposed to sit around and wait until the youngest sibling is 11 to come visit Universal? Or only target the "only child" 11 year old crowd? Of course not.

Hogsmeade will be perfect now- an intense ride in FJ, a small kid friendly FoHP, and a family friendly FF coaster.

Do you have any idea how much more inclusive a Mack coaster would be than DD? The customer satisfaction will go through the roof.

Am I missing something here? My expectation for this thrill ride is a system like FJ without the domes and entirely practical effects. Isn't this what we have been looking/asking for from UC? I think you can achieve the same thrill level of FJ without the domes. As much as I enjoy Hulk and the like, a more immersive HP experience would also be cool.

Am I missing something here? My expectation for this thrill ride is a system like FJ without the domes and entirely practical effects. Isn't this what we have been looking/asking for from UC? I think you can achieve the same thrill level of FJ without the domes. As much as I enjoy Hulk and the like, a more immersive HP experience would also be cool.

It’s going to be a coaster

Says... who?
JK Rowling, in a TV interview she once said that the target audience for HP was 11+

That way she could use things that might be too frightening for younger readers, like werewolves, trolls giant spiders etc. It also meant that younger readers wouldn’t be upset by the darker aspects of her universe and the death of favourite characters.

I’m not claiming to speak on behalf of all 12-13 yo. I’m just speaking from my experience of that age group who simply would not be seen dead on a kiddie ride. I’m also not saying that 8yo can’t like HP, I’m just saying that universal shouldn’t tame rides down JUST to ensure that all ages can ride. If it’s an IP aimed at very young children then fine, but not everything needs to be suitable for 3-93

Reactions: johnnyslimane
Status
Not open for further replies.