Help Planning Early November Weekday at USJ | Inside Universal Forums

Help Planning Early November Weekday at USJ

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 18, 2023
We are a family of four going to USJ on any of the these days (Tue 7th of Nov - Thurs 9th of November).
Have not been able to snatch any of the express passes which are sold out for those dates so even more planning will be required.
This is where I need some help to not make mistakes. In what order to do things is the main questions here, where to rush first, what to do first etc.
For example if we rush to Nintendo World to get in without a timed pass or get an early pass and spend a couple of hours there, the rides we would like to go on the most might be crowded already. Spending two hours for a ride.....will not do it I think.
You get my point I think

Some input first so you get an idea and background.
- Kids are 8 and 11 and do not fancy thrill rides.
- Wife could not care less about Nintendo World. I would not miss it for the world :)
- We plan on being there at least one hour before official opening time, have the tickets and app prepared to start working on the app and the timed tickets as soon as we get in.
- The rides we absolutely do not want to miss, in order of preference are: 1. Harry Potter. 2. Minion Mayhem 3. Spiderman 4. Mario Cart. Anything more than that is a bonus I think.
I might try to use the single line options for some thrill rides if waiting times are not too long (max 30 minutes, which is probably unlikely).

Questions:
- What to expect in terms of crowds? I have looked at the crowd calendar but it seems rather generic regardless of month, but differs depending on days of course.
- Is a timed ticket to Harry Potter required now? I see conflicting information on this.
- Can you choose your timed entry time slot in the app or are you just assigned one?
I am thinking if we try to get a timed entry to Super Nintendo world the first thing we do but want to start off by rushing to Minion Mayhem or Harry Potter, we might completely miss the Nintendo world since we will miss the early slot.
- So in what order to do things to get the best possible change to do the four rides without super long waiting times. And at the same time not miss the Nintendo World.
- Final question. Ride tickets you can book in the app, is that only for Wonderland or for any ride in the park (I guess not)
So hit me and help us get the most out of the visit :)

Reactions: yourguytay
Hi, Welcome to IU! I'll try to answer your questions but keep in mind, I'm no expert or local. I spent 4 days here a month or so ago in the middle of the week but can share my experience.

What to expect in terms of crowds?

I'd expect pretty heavy crowds. You can check this site for crowd projections and it looks like the days you're going will be lower than the days I went so maybe it'll be a little better then my visit but most of the big rides (Mario Kart, Flying Dinosaur, Hollywood Dream etc) had 60 minute+ lines the whole day.

Is a timed ticket to Harry Potter required now?

There was not during my visit. Presumably that's probably just required during slammed times of the year.

Can you choose your timed entry time slot in the app or are you just assigned one?

You can choose your time but SNW does sell out pretty quickly so I'd get your time as soon as you get in the park! You can always choose a later slot if you want to do Potter or Minions first!

Ride tickets you can book in the app, is that only for Wonderland or for any ride in the park

So the only virtual queue ride that I saw during my trip was the Biohazard Halloween Horror Nights maze. So I think the rest of the rides you're going to have to wait for the old fashioned way!

But have fun! If you really want to be first, I might even think about showing up earlier than an hour before. When I visited the park usually opened 45 minutes or earlier before entry and undoubtedly there'll be people waiting already 15 minutes before that. As far as a strategy goes, I personally would probably get in as early as possible, do Spiderman and then Minions and then try to do Potter. I think it's totally reasonable to get those 3 done in an hour or two if you're there right at opening. Then you'll have all day to enjoy the rest of the park and get on Mario Kart! Make sure not to miss Jaws, it's the best ride in the park :)

Reactions: Jake S
We were able to snag an Express Pass on Klook the night before heading to the park, despite them previously being sold out. So, keep that in mind.

I spent less time at the park than @Galactus, but was there just over a week ago (on a Monday) and would also add that crowds will be very heavy. We arrived to the front gates 15 minutes before opening and, much like at the Disney parks, we were in a very lengthy queue to get through security and have our tickets scanned. We didn't get into the park until 15 minutes after opening and, if we had been planning on hitting more rides, would have been behind the 8 ball.

The good thing about the virtual entry to Super Nintendo World is that the queues are relatively manageable compared to the rest of the park. We didn't experience any of the attractions, but Mario Kart was around a 75 minute wait while Yoshi was sitting at 45. I think Galactus' strategy makes perfect sense — the only thing I'll add is that if you do opt to do Jaws, there's a good chance it'll be a walk-on at opening. They heavily inflate wait times throughout the park, but particularly so early in the day (it seems).

Flying Dinosaur is also an awesome roller coaster, if you're into that sort of thing. Hollywood Dream: The Ride is, on the other hand, pretty dull.

It's a very cool park and you'll have a great time! Pack your patience and enjoy it.

Flying Dinosaur is also an awesome roller coaster, if you're into that sort of thing. Hollywood Dream: The Ride is, on the other hand, pretty dull.

Wow, we have very different tastes in coasters! I did love Flying Dinosaur as well but it was so intense that I could probably only do it once or twice a day without ending up with a headache (I must be getting old). Hollywood Dream on the other hand, I thought was perfect! Still forceful enough in those helices to be fun but with plenty of great airtime. Curious, do you keep track of your top coasters? Would love to see what your favorites are!

They heavily inflate wait times throughout the park, but particularly so early in the day (it seems).

Agreed! There were a handful of times in my visit where rides (Jaws in particular) had 30 minute+ posted waits but were actually walk ons.

Wow, we have very different tastes in coasters! I did love Flying Dinosaur as well but it was so intense that I could probably only do it once or twice a day without ending up with a headache (I must be getting old). Hollywood Dream on the other hand, I thought was perfect! Still forceful enough in those helices to be fun but with plenty of great airtime. Curious, do you keep track of your top coasters? Would love to see what your favorites are!
Totally agree that Flying Dinosaur was a one-and-done due to its intensity, and we may be approaching the day that I can't even muster the courage for that anymore. But as it wasn't rough, it hasn't been placed on the "well, it was fun in college!" list (X2 says hello!)

I do keep track of my coasters, but it's been a good long while since I've thought about a Top ___ list. Love Iron Rattler, Maverick, VelociCoaster, El Toro, Leviathan, Tatsu (though I suppose it's been dethroned at this point) and, in the non-thrill-ride division, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.

Reactions: Galactus
Totally agree that Flying Dinosaur was a one-and-done due to its intensity, and we may be approaching the day that I can't even muster the courage for that anymore. But as it wasn't rough, it hasn't been placed on the "well, it was fun in college!" list (X2 says hello!)

I do keep track of my coasters, but it's been a good long while since I've thought about a Top ___ list. Love Iron Rattler, Maverick, VelociCoaster, El Toro, Leviathan, Tatsu (though I suppose it's been dethroned at this point) and, in the non-thrill-ride division, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.
Okay, we have pretty similar taste so I must've just hit HD on a good day! Totally agreed about X2. Rode it in college and loved it. Rode it a year or two ago and walked away with a headache. Getting old sucks!

Hi, Welcome to IU! I'll try to answer your questions but keep in mind, I'm no expert or local. I spent 4 days here a month or so ago in the middle of the week but can share my experience.

I'd expect pretty heavy crowds. You can check this site for crowd projections and it looks like the days you're going will be lower than the days I went so maybe it'll be a little better then my visit but most of the big rides (Mario Kart, Flying Dinosaur, Hollywood Dream etc) had 60 minute+ lines the whole day.

There was not during my visit. Presumably that's probably just required during slammed times of the year.

You can choose your time but SNW does sell out pretty quickly so I'd get your time as soon as you get in the park! You can always choose a later slot if you want to do Potter or Minions first!

So the only virtual queue ride that I saw during my trip was the Biohazard Halloween Horror Nights maze. So I think the rest of the rides you're going to have to wait for the old fashioned way!

But have fun! If you really want to be first, I might even think about showing up earlier than an hour before. When I visited the park usually opened 45 minutes or earlier before entry and undoubtedly there'll be people waiting already 15 minutes before that. As far as a strategy goes, I personally would probably get in as early as possible, do Spiderman and then Minions and then try to do Potter. I think it's totally reasonable to get those 3 done in an hour or two if you're there right at opening. Then you'll have all day to enjoy the rest of the park and get on Mario Kart! Make sure not to miss Jaws, it's the best ride in the park :)
Thank you so much (and others as well).
I think the fact that you can choose your time for SNW for later that day will give us the possibility to rush for the rides we would like the most and just accept the SNW will have lots of visitors and most likely a long queue for Mario.
"You can choose your time but SNW does sell out pretty quickly so I'd get your time as soon as you get in the park! You can always choose a later slot if you want to do Potter or Minions first!"
I will for sure try to do the Flying Dinosaur though single line as I love thrill rides. Getting older as well so I think it is not more a a fear/joy blend compared to before.

BTW, if you have a GoPro strapped to your chest I guess that would be a no-no even though I know it will sit tight without any risk.
I can imagine they do not want to take any risks whatsoever and that this is strictly controlled.

BTW, if you have a GoPro strapped to your chest I guess that would be a no-no even though I know it will sit tight without any risk.
I can imagine they do not want to take any risks whatsoever and that this is strictly controlled.
Unfortunately I'm guessing the answer is no. Japan is very militant about loose articles while riding. They have free lockers in line for FD and they'll wand you down with a metal detector after you put your stuff away before they let you in the final section of the line.

But they weren't even the worst! USJ let me leave on my watch but Fuji Q Highlands made me take it off for the family coaster that was probably 50 ft tall!

I think Galactus' suggestions sound like a solid plan. Since you can pick your timing for SNW later, starting with Minion Mayhem or Harry Potter first makes sense.

I'd avoid trying to rush too many rides right away before time slots fill up. Getting the "big" ones like Potter and Minions out of the way early sounds like a good strategy.

By the way, have you considered the single rider lines? When I went, those were often much shorter waits than the regular lines. Might be a good backup plan if regular waits get long.

Going there tomorrow. Planning on being there at least one hour before official opening time.
Thin we will rush of to Potter first as that is the number one ride for the kids I think. Followed by Spiderman.
Two last questions.
1. Do I understand it correctly that you can choose your time for SNW, so if I want to do it at 4PM I can pick that time as soon as I getinto the park? Given a lot of people want that specific slot,
2. Which is the more popular ride between Spiderman and Minion with waiting times that can be expected to be longer than the other?

Two last questions.
1. Do I understand it correctly that you can choose your time for SNW, so if I want to do it at 4PM I can pick that time as soon as I getinto the park? Given a lot of people want that specific slot,
2. Which is the more popular ride between Spiderman and Minion with waiting times that can be expected to be longer than the other?
1. Yep, you should be able to. I booked my SNW time right when I got in the park and I picked a time for later in the day.
2. Personally, I always saw Minions as longer but YMMV about that

hope you're having a good time at USJ today! Let me know how waiting in line before opening goes.

As for your questions - yes you can absolutely pick your SNW time as soon as you get in. Good call planning to do that later though. On waits, in my experience Minions does tend to be a bit longer wait on average.

But absolutely take advantage of the single rider lines if regular waits get up there. It's so nice to skip past huge crowds. Have fun with the kids and stay hydrated out there!

We are a family of four going to USJ on any of the these days (Tue 7th of Nov - Thurs 9th of November).
Have not been able to snatch any of the express passes which are sold out for those dates so even more planning will be required.
This is where I need some help to not make mistakes. In what order to do things is the main questions here, where to rush first, what to do first etc.
For example if we rush to Nintendo World to get in without a timed pass or get an early pass and spend a couple of hours there, the rides we would like to go on the most might be crowded already. Spending two hours for a ride.....will not do it I think.
You get my point I think

Some input first so you get an idea and background.
- Kids are 8 and 11 and do not fancy thrill rides.
- Wife could not care less about Nintendo World. I would not miss it for the world :)
- We plan on being there at least one hour before official opening time, have the tickets and app prepared to start working on the app and the timed tickets as soon as we get in.
- The rides we absolutely do not want to miss, in order of preference are: 1. Harry Potter. 2. Minion Mayhem 3. Spiderman 4. Mario Cart. Anything more than that is a bonus I think.
I might try to use the single line options for some thrill rides if waiting times are not too long (max 30 minutes, which is probably unlikely).

Questions:
- What to expect in terms of crowds? I have looked at the crowd calendar but it seems rather generic regardless of month, but differs depending on days of course.
- Is a timed ticket to Harry Potter required now? I see conflicting information on this.
- Can you choose your timed entry time slot in the app or are you just assigned one?
I am thinking if we try to get a timed entry to Super Nintendo world the first thing we do but want to start off by rushing to Minion Mayhem or Harry Potter, we might completely miss the Nintendo world since we will miss the early slot.
- So in what order to do things to get the best possible change to do the four rides without super long waiting times. And at the same time not miss the Nintendo World.
- Final question. Ride tickets you can book in the app, is that only for Wonderland or for any ride in the park (I guess not)
So hit me and help us get the most out of the visit :)
Here's what I would recommend based on your priorities:

Crowds will likely be moderate to heavy since it's a holiday week. Weekdays may be slightly less crowded.

You do need a timed entry for Harry Potter, even on regular tickets. Book these as early as possible once 180 days out.

For Super Nintendo slots, you can choose your time but only within availability - earlier slots book up fast.

My suggested plan:

Book Harry Potter timed entry ASAP if not already done. Go straight there first thing.

Head to Minions and Spiderman next since they tend to have shorter waits.

Check app in morning for any last minute Super Nintendo slots and go there if you get an early one. Otherwise try later in the day.

Consider single rider line for Jurassic Park/Rip Ride Rockit if kids are tall enough and lines are long.

Mario Kart and other rides as you have time. Consider Universal Express passes if crowded.

Focus on #1-3 first thing to hit your top priorities with shorter lines. Good luck and have fun!