Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '18: Horrors of Blumhouse: Chapter 2

Got an email from Universal today: “All-New Maze with a Twist Ending.”

Nice one, PR department

My opinion is "it could be worse." I like that they're adding some of their own stuff at the end, I like that they're trying to adapt the chatroom sessions in Unfriended through video effects, I like that they're partially doing their own thing with Truth or Dare. The fact that they're doing Unfriended and ToD in the first place is a knock, but at the end of the day, I'll still go through the house once.

I don’t really post much on these forums but all I can say right now is....WHAT??
I do like the fact that Murdy’s gonna incorporate some original elements to this, but overall this is just a horrible idea to begin with. I haven’t been this upset with a maze announcement since TitE and that’s saying a lot.

TBH I would've preferred if they just made the whole maze focused on this alone. A REAL Horrors of Blumhouse.
This, times one hundred.
Also, looks like Wesker was right with the the ghost in Unfriended being an actual entity in the maze.

I still think this will be junk. I look forward to the ending though, as that's the only area where there could be something genuinely of interest. ToD and Unfriended are more intrigue of the "wtf how" kind and I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing.

This, times one hundred.
Also, looks like Wesker was right with the the ghost in Unfriended being an actual entity in the maze.

I still think this will be junk. I look forward to the ending though, as that's the only area where there could be something genuinely of interest. ToD and Unfriended are more intrigue of the "wtf how" kind and I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing.

I do want to stress that I'm moreso frustrated with the creative/business choices behind this selection, especially when it leaves other, more-desired properties on the table. For what it's worth, I don't think Murdy was itching to tackle these properties... it was a decision beyond his control, so I'm not super into laying into him over this. It sounds like they injected as much zest into the premise as they could.

I do hope that the negative reaction to the announcement will indicate to the actual decision makers that the general public know weak sauce when they see it. That said, we might run into what happened last year: everyone groaned at Blumhouse, and it ended up being the #2 maze of the event. That told the brass, more Blumhouse... not understanding that it was more the strength of the cast versus the strength of the property that led to the maze's success.

That said, we might run into what happened last year: everyone groaned at Blumhouse, and it ended up being the #2 maze of the event. That told the brass, more Blumhouse... not understanding that it was more the strength of the cast versus the strength of the property that led to the maze's success.
I still would like to see those surveys. The only person I've ever seen talk positively about that maze is Wesker. Everyone else, it was always at the bottom. It's always a possibility that it was such a high trafficked maze because of it's location and low wait times, which boosted it's ratings in comparison to the others.

I still would like to see those surveys. The only person I've ever seen talk positively about that maze is Wesker. Everyone else, it was always at the bottom. It's always a possibility that it was such a high trafficked maze because of it's location and low wait times, which boosted it's ratings in comparison to the others.

It was very well-regarded internally/based on surveys.

I think the value add (low wait time versus long maze) was definitely a factor, but don't underestimate how much the GP loves Purge. Sinister also performed VERY well - even scanning social media, you'll see people asking for more Sinister or saying they loved the Sinister bit from last year.

It's funny cause when my group and I went last year, that and AHS: Roanoke were our top mazes, but as the weeks passed and we reflected on what we did and watched walk-throughs, we totally changed our minds and it dropped in ranking. Even though I would've been totally fine with just a Sinister mazes, I'm gonna be hopeful the original content, deleted content, and that last part will make it not terrible.

I’m really mixed on this maze, like I can’t even tell if I’m excited or annoyed at this maze.

First, the pros. This maze seems to basically be an original-ish maze; in the sense that this maze is just an original take on the two properties featured. The original ending also seems pretty cool and I’m very excited to see that.

As for the cons, this just seems like Corporate Synergy the maze. I’m expecting Truth or Dare to be more or less like SAW depending on what exactly that deleted scene was. Unfriended isn’t maze material at all, but I’m really curious to see how John does it. Hopefully it won’t be Screenz the Maze section. I’m also really salty this maze replaced any season of AHS, since I think Coven or Cult would’ve been much better than this since they couldn’t do Asylum.

At the end of the day though they could have Jen & The Holograms and Insidious 4.0 but as long as the scares are good and the sets are decent I’ll enjoy the maze.

With the Unfriended part I wasn't sure if its going to be only Unfriended or a mixed of Unfriended & Unfriended Dark Web like how Sinister & Sinister 2 were mixed as one last year.

As mediocre as this sounds, I am curious as to how they will do the ending. It sounds interesting how they're doing something original toward the end.

But yeah, nobody wanted this.....nobody.

The funniest part is there’s been maybe 5-10 good comments total across all social media; Instagrams comments totally rip this thing to shreds. And everyone in the comments keeps saying that the last maze needs to be Conjuring or IT to make up for this :grin:

With the Unfriended part I wasn't sure if its going to be only Unfriended or a mixed of Unfriended & Unfriended Dark Web like how Sinister & Sinister 2 were mixed as one last year.
Just gonna be Unfriended. John said that he looked at Dark Web but thought the original had more maze potential going for it (what?) and that Dark Web looked like another Saw to him