Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '18: Stranger Things

I have a whole lot of crow to eat. A... murder's worth... of crow ;). I was one of the main people saying this won't happen, would be stupid to happen, etc, etc.. As some have said already about their reservations, I too have the same view of the possible problems this may run into. My expectations are low. I just don't think this can be done right in Hollywood. I bet in Orlando or even better, Singapore, this will be AMAZING. I just see Hollywood going on the cheap for everything. Lame mannequins and horrible suits for the monsters, hoping that some strobe light will help make their movements look better. Now since it is in fact happening, I'll hold my judgment until than, but my bet is that's what's going to happen. I will gladly eat more crow if I'm wrong and if this maze is good. I'll remain positive and upbeat when heading into the maze, it's the only way to enjoy the event. As for it being based on S1, I happened to LOVE S2 way more, so that's a bit of a bummer for me, but oh well. I guess they're going for the longevity route to keep this coming every year since AHS may be running out of it's popularity's steam.

the mulitple threads are confusing me...possible one Stranger Things Thread for all parks until we get closer?

the mulitple threads are confusing me...possible one Stranger Things Thread for all parks until we get closer?

What Alex said, the threads will stay separate as obviously there will be differing things about both coasts.

Last year I did HHN in Orlando, this year it'll be Hollywood. I pray this is done well. IMO, 747 would be a fantastic place to put it but IIRC it will not be used this year. If Murdy makes this a top priority, then it should be good. But for now, I'm just wishing I could go to Orlando's. Ah well...

If you want to know if this will be a good house, pay attention to Murdy’s Twitter. If he says his approach will be wanting to feel like you’re in Eleven’s mind, that’s code for “I have a lazy excuse to have a bunch of black walls.” That’s the approach he took for Exorcist and Shinning with Regan and Jack and look how those turned out.

Augh don't frighten me like that.

I think that Netflix will force Universal to come up with a strong, quality maze. It is one of their prime properties so I'm hoping for something a little more Alien vs Predator and less Exorcist.

I do think what's interesting, is the fact that the boys are all in the poster (excluding Eleven). A thought I have, what if Netflix Originals and Universal collaborate on the level of FXNext and Universal last year on Roanoke, having the cast of the show record while production goes in place for Season 3?

I’m quite looking forward to this because I expect it to be a lot of fun. I don’t think the material lends this to be something truly terrifying, but I think this would have to be a complete failure if it isn’t at least fun.

I do think what's interesting, is the fact that the boys are all in the poster (excluding Eleven). A thought I have, what if Netflix Originals and Universal collaborate on the level of FXNext and Universal last year on Roanoke, having the cast of the show record while production goes in place for Season 3?

To be fair, that's just referencing one of the show's posters. Wouldn't read too much into it.

Universal should make there entrance resemble the Upside Down version of Universal. This would be huge if the entire park, and backlot was set in the Upside Down kinda like how Orlando did with The Walking Dead taking over the whole park.

But would you still want the Universal entrance be covered in vines indicating that were entering the Upside Down version of Universal Studios?

I do think what's interesting, is the fact that the boys are all in the poster (excluding Eleven).
Imagine if they had mannequins of the bike boys (I'm calling them that) at the facade, similar to how they executed the Danny bike mannequin in The Shining. It honestly would make sense because:
1) It would be a major photo opportunity for fans of the show (though people holding up the line to take a photo with them would be a real pain in the :x:).
2) It's a way to utilize the main characters without actually using scare-actors.
3) It eerily sets the tone for what's to come.

Though, the contrast to that would be that S1 is all about the disappearance of Will, so he would be excluded from the gang if they were to pull that off. Maybe having them surrounding his bike with the spinning wheel, like in the S1 poster? Then that would kind of block the view of the bike for the people waiting in line. Eh, I'm not gonna go further in depth with this. An idea was just an idea.

But would you still want the Universal entrance be covered in vines indicating that were entering the Upside Down version of Universal Studios?
If anything, they'd just use lighting in order to create that effect (I honestly thought they used lighting to achieve that effect when I watched the promo video). I don't think they'd go as far as to putting in the work to wrapping the entire front side of the gate with fake vines. Decorating the gate with christmas lights and banners are one thing, but going to the extent of recreating how the gate looks in the promo image/video would honestly be a bit hazardous for the workers that have to set that up and take it back down.
Speaking of the promo video, is it bad that I want the upcoming maze announcements to have the same professional format as this one had?

Last edited:
Speaking of the promo video, is it bad that I want the upcoming maze announcements to have the same professional format as this one had?

I dunno, I kinda like the "montage set to music" style, just because it feels more climactic and gives a better idea of what to expect. I really liked The Shining's video & Key Art for this reason, just for how many of the film's most iconic moments they squeezed in.

I think this teaser was a neat change of pace, but I feel like I'd get blue, err, globes if they're all just extended teases like ST's was.

Edit: Sidenote, if we do go with the "Upside Down Arches" Idea, would that mean that Opening Scare-mony would be based on Stranger Things? That'd actually be pretty neat: swelling music, a light-show indicating that you've entered the Upside Down, suddenly the flame towers go on and the arches are covered in (projected) vines. Could be really neat.

To say this, I hope to God they go in that direction of announcements going forward. It's so unique and different from anything we've seen, is straight to the point, and is not indictive of using previous year footage.

Really hoping that's the tone they go forward, at least for the shared announcements.

As for the arch, I really hope they do more than banners this tear. If it means we get some similar to the promo piece, but just with vines, that would be still fine for me, as it serves it's purpose and adds intrigue.

I dunno, I kinda like the "montage set to music" style, just because it feels more climactic and gives a better idea of what to expect. I really liked The Shining's video & Key Art for this reason, just for how many of the film's most iconic moments they squeezed in.

I think this teaser was a neat change of pace, but I feel like I'd get blue, err, globes if they're all just extended teases like ST's was.

I can see easy ways to do it with the arch, especially if certain things are coming to this year's event.

As for the boys, my vibe is that they'll go with a TiTE/AHS approach, with the main aspect being the use of screens to depict the boys and Eleven, and that it'll be made for all of the versions.