Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Most Anticipated Maze

What Maze are you most excited for?

• Stranger Things

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Universal Monsters: Frankenstein meets The Wolfman

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Ghostbusters

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Us

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Creepshow

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • House of 1,000 Corpses

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Holidayz in Hell

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • The Curse of Pandora's Box

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
1. FMTW - Expecting this to be given possibly more love than Monsters last year. Seeing more Wolfman is a plus. I think what's been said about it sounds great. And sounds like a complete winner.

2. The Curse of Pandora's Box - Again this maze sounds great. Really excited for it. The Ancient theme to it along with Hades and such could make for an amazing maze. Could also have some incredible scares. Looking forward to it.

3. Holidayz - Everything said so far is extremely creative. Easily the most creative stuff said for out of all the mazes. Sounds like a lot of fun and I could see this maze being the Dark Horse.

4. Creepshow - Adore the property. There's tons of great stuff. Love the comic book transitions. I think the TV Show sections sound pretty cool and overall I think it should make for a great maze.

5. Ghostbusters - This maze could be really great or be so so. Don't think it will be bad. There's obviously gonna be a lot of care and love put into it. Comedy scenes worry me but I'm sure this could be a great maze with lots of cool effects.

6. HOTC - Really love this property. As far as Waterworld mazes go: TCM was fantastic, Titans was good, and Halloween 4 was okay. Expecting this to be great and it's cool to see a much older property brought back in a new light for 2019.

7. ST - Really hoping for a better experience/maze this year. Last year's was okay, wasn't really a fan. I would hope the design and choices made for this year's maze are much better and stronger.

8. Klowns - Love the property. Last 3 mazes in Mummy have had a lot of black walls. Worries me with this one. Scares could be weird with how big the costumes are. And it could just be a really weird and awkward maze.

9. Us - Late addition, last maze to start construction. But again I have faith with Jordan Peele working with Murdy. It could still flop though. It has the most potential to flop. I'll be genuinely surprised if it's really good.

Love the lineup. Hoping this year turns out great.

Last edited:
  1. Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman - I am so excited to see what I missed out from last year. Especially with Murdy's love for them, I am estatic to see the Monster and Wolfman in a maze like this.
  2. Pandora's Box - I am a GREEK NERD. and with Pandora's Box, the concept of doing a maze around it and the nightmarish creatures that comes out; could be such an exciting chance to do scares not seen with HHN.
  3. Ghostbusters - I am really excited to see how the Hollywood A&D team handles Ghostbusters. Even if it's more of a dark comedy house, there are a lot of fun moments that I can easily see work (and y'know, I am just ecstatic of seeing that firehouse facade in full glory.
  4. Holidayz in Hell - With everything they've been talking about, I have a lot of hopes for this maze. It could very certainly surprise me extremely; as the concepts that they've been talking can lead to a lot of fun.
  5. House of 1,000 Corpses - Bias aside, I think it's one of those IP's that really works well. And with the ditching of the 3D, it makes me very interested to see how they incorporate particular scenes; like the Murder Ride and the caves of Dr. Satan
  6. Creepshow - This one, is partly because I have not seen the original film yet (but I do plan to). Makes me very interested, especially if Nicotero is heavily involved
  7. Klownz - This one's going to be stupid-fun. Even if it's not to the best quality, that's what makes Killer Klowns work so well.
  8. Stranger Things - My only concern, is the scope. Especially with Season Two and Three, there are a lot of scenes I want to see handled greatly; but I have those concerns that place it down
  9. Us - Late addition, and while I love the film and have faith in a clean and good relationship with Monkeypaw/Peele, I could easily see this not stick the landing completely.
  10. TWDA - I'll be popping this cherry off, so it's at the bottom for that reason.
An amazing lineup, as my trip cannot come soon enough.

1) Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman - I'm a sucker for the Monsters, and many of the things I'm hearing are super encouraging. Its location is a bit concerning (it's a bit of a "burner" spot with a relatively short length), but given Murdy & the team's passion for the material, I suspect something closer to Krampus in terms of creativity & polish versus something like First Purge.
2) Holidayz in Hell - Yes, it's going to be a lot of recycling, but I'm a sucker for originals, and the art so far revealed bodes very well - there's a clear, mean-spirited tone that I think has fantastic potential. The bonus zone at the end doesn't hurt, either. I tend to prefer "variety" houses where we see a lot of colorful and unique locales.
3) Stranger Things 2 - I liked last year's maze more than most, and I'm under the impression they're pumping even more into it this year. It's honestly going to live or die on the efficacy of its Demadog puppets... but if they can pull it off, this could really be something grand and impressive.
4) Ghostbusters - This is in a similar boat. Challenging IP, but if they can pull off some of these effects and creatures... it could really be an entertaining ride. It's right in the middle of the pack because I don't know if I trust recent executions enough to be confident in it, but some of the early things I'm hearing are exciting.
5) House of 1,000 Corpses - This should be our intense maze (i.e. Halloween 4 / Texas Chainsaw Blood Brothers) and the sort that'll make one deeply uncomfortable while walking through. There's a place for that gnarly raw "too real" grit at HHN, and the choice to lean into the intensity versus going surreal with 3D, I think, is a good idea for a modern execution. Think this might surprise some people.
6) Creepshow - I like but do not love the IP, and I worry this'll become Trick r Treat 2.0 in terms of choppy pacing and scenes that don't have enough real estate to hit their stride. Still... the stuff they showed at Midsummer *looked* compelling, and I admire their boldness to even attempt the cockroach sequence. The TV sequences will at least provide some surprises and seem straight forward enough.
7) Pandora's Box - I love the premise and key art, but I'm a bit worried this will inevitably be a nice facade covering blatant recyling of This is the End and Urban Inferno sequences. I'd love to be proven wrong, as this concept is ripe with unrealized potential.
8) Killer Klowns - This one's going to come down to operations. I've heard great things about its layout from multiple people, but these costumes are huge and inevitably challenging to operate in, potentially leading to an exhausted, burnt out cast. It's also an easy one to over-rely on black walls... but if they find a way to make it all come together, it could be an entertaining ride, albeit not one I'm especially looking forward to.
9) Us - The cast for this is probably going to rock, but I'm really worried about how many parts of this film's open environments and slow dread will translate to a haunt environment. There's sequences that will absolutely work (the mirror maze, tethered tunnels) and areas that I think will end up falling flat. It also remains to be seen how frightening the Tethered will be divorced from their human doubles and the existential weight that pairing carries. This could easily shoot up the list, but there's a lot that can go wrong here.
10) Walking Dead - goes without saying. I really wish they'd add more Walkers and change up scare locations like they did in 2016.

1. Ghostbusters: Facade looks amazing. Set designs are gonna look amazing. Going to love seeing your favorite characters such as Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston. I think they're gonna pull off the scares pretty well with the Ghosts.

2. Creepshow: Was low on my list, now I am excited. The comic design for the maze is what made it move up. Some of the scares are gonna look fantastic based on what we saw, and the creature designs

3. FMTM: UCM was amazing last year. Can't wait to see more Wolfman for this maze.

4. Holidayz In Hell: Sets are very creative. And like last years scarezone, the characters look awesome.

5. Killer Klowns From Outer Space: After watching the movie and hearing the maze details, this also moved up from the list. I just hope the black walls at the end is the room with the lights. Anyways, some of the scenes we're gonna see is what Im excited, mostly the shadow puppet one.

6. Stranger Things 2 and 3: Not too excited for this one, but that doesn't mean I dislike it. I just they improve from last year. For the demodogs, I hope its not some light grey, and that they add more detail to it like Orlando. Season 3 area is what Im most excited for. I can't wait to see the mind flayer.

7. HOTC: Finally get to experience this for the first time. Not too excited about this one, but hey, its the goriest out of this lineup, so I guess Im excited for it.

8. Pandoras Box: Cool original. Let me hear the maze details, and then we'll see where it really ranks.

9. Us: Eh.

EDIT: Based on the story from what Im hearing, this may have moved up from my list. Sorry Holidayz In Hell, but Pandora has taken your spot. So my updated list goes as:

Ghostbusters
Creepshow
FMTWM
Pandoras Box
Holidayz In Hell
KKFOS
Stranger Things
HOTC
Us

Last edited:
Alright, now I will talk about my most-anticipated houses.

1. Ghostbusters: I freakin' love Ghostbusters. While I think Orlando will do a slightly better job (I mean Aiello's behind it and he's super-passionate about it), it's going to be truly epic approaching the firehouse and hearing the theme music playing. While GB is primarily a comedy, there are some frightening moments in the movie (slightly more so in the sequel), but they're overshadowed by the comedic reaction of the characters. I hope it's an equally comedic maze as it is a frightening one because we should be in the shoes of the people getting scared. I think this will be scary and also service the movie's flair very well.

2. Curse of Pandora's Box: Like I said in the thread, this is the first time since in years since they did an original maze. They knocked it out of the park with La Llorona but seemed to drop the ball on it after that (El Cucuy and Klowns were eh). Now it feels like they really want to try to make good original content on Orlando calibur with this and Holidayz and I like that. I'm thrilled to see Hollywood branch out with a Greek mythology concept and go all-in on it. Old London store? Hades underworld? Notes of Orlando originality like Hades: The Gates of Ruin from HHN 20? SIGN ME THE HECK UP!

3. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman: Monsters last year may possibly be one of my favorite houses ever. Beautiful, dark, eerie, scary, and very gothic. I feel like Chris and Murdy will put the same amount of passion into this house. It's also in a bigger venue so I'm really hoping the scenic team will take advantage of the larger space and design some beautifully large sets. Here's to hoping it will be more gothic, eerie, beautiful, scary, and grand-scale than Monsters!

4. Stranger Things: I was underwhelmed by last year's house, but seeing construction of the house shows me they're putting more effort into this. I look forward to seeing how they pull off the creature effects for this house.

5. Holidayz In Hell: Excited for another original, but its concept is straightforward. I think this will be fun. I suspect lots of prop recycling though.

6. Creepshow: One of my all-time favorite horror films. I hate roaches so that should freak out out going through there. Should be cool.

7. Killer Klowns from Outer Space: I loved the movie and I think this will be fun. I'm interested in seeing how they pull of Klownzilla in that tight space. Seeing the clowns and hearing the music will be fun.

8. Us: Surprisingly not my least-anticipated. I know it will likely be black walls and reek of "last-minute/thrown together", but I'm at least interested in seeing how they tackle this.

9. House of 1000 Corpses: My least-anticipated as I've been through both renditions in '10 and '11. It was a good maze, but the repeat has left me slightly jaded. At least it will be redesigned, but it's still going to be very predictable for me. But I'm still looking forward to it.

10. Walking Dead Attraction: lol no don't care.

Of all of those mazes, none of them, even HoTC or Us, come across to me as "This is going to SUCK". Even if one is weaker than another, I feel like they will at least have some good elements to bring to the table. The mazes all sound great, no tram, finally some original content, some awesome-sounding zones, an apparent budget increase, some creative risks....I have a very good feeling this year will be one for the books!

1. Creepshow - A dream property that I've been hoping would come since my very first year going to HHN. So much potential for environments, characters, creative lighting and scares. Hoping it hits that Krampus sweet spot.

2. Ghostbusters - Super curious to see how they pull this off. A iconic classic that as long as they pull off the set design and character design, should be a homerun.

3. Killer Klowns - Love me those Klowns. Hope they really lean into the bizarre nature and humor of the film. The human ventriloquism and shadow puppet scenes could be loads of fun to see in person.

4. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman - I'm afraid a lot of this is gonna be reused from last year's maze, but even still you can't go wrong with the classic monsters.

5. Holidayz in Hell - Loved the scarezone last year and all the concept art looks fantastic.

6. Pandora's Box - Still not entirely sure what this one will end up looking like, as the description is appropriately vague, but greek mythology has a ton of interesting directions to go in.

7. Us - I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, and the buzz around the late build is a huge red flag, but the iconography and soundtrack could end up being really effective.

8. House of a Thousand Corpses - No interest in this I.P. whatsoever. Some fun locations to work with though.

9. Stranger Things - Last year's maze honestly underwhelmed and bored me. Plus I really don't care for the show at all so fingers crossed this will be its last year.

Last edited:
1. Us -- I completely understand all the reservations and skepticism, but this is exactly the kind of thing I love to see at HHN. It keeps the event on the cutting edge. The most relevant and high-profile horror-based entertainment event in LA should represent the latest and best stuff out there, and Us fits that. Plus, the mood and atmosphere is perfect for HHN. Set pieces abound, and if Jordan is involved, there's probably room for some unique/maze-specific set pieces, as well. It'll either be incredible or terrible, which is partly why I'm anticipating it so much.

2. Creepshow -- This is the other kind of thing I love to see at HHN: Deep cuts for people who really love this stuff. So much potential here. Already loving the design and the tone of the property is perfect for the event. I really think they're gonna nail this one.

3. Killer Klownz -- It's been on Murdy's wishlist for a while and I think he's excited to finally execute a house. He seems giddy each time he talks about it. I think this one will have a lot of personality and creativity. I kinda wish it was on the Metro sets, but it is what it is. Looking forward to finally watching the actual movie, too.

4. FMTW -- I'm sure this will be a lot of fun. I like the UCM and if it gets the same attention to detail as last year's iteration, it'll be a winner for sure. Maybe we'll get a Bride of Frankenstein cameo???

5. Stranger Things -- I mean, I don't see how this will be completely unique from last year's, but at the same time, I thought last year's was extremely strong, if a little overhyped. I know a lot of budget is sunk into this one and I just hope it shows!

6. Ghostbusters -- No idea what to expect with this. There's obviously some intriguing potential with the different set pieces and iconic imagery, but I don't think the property is a fit for this event. If you make it too tense and scary, it betrays the nature of the film; if you make it too light and playful, it kills the mood created by the rest of the event. I'm just envisioning a lose-lose scenario, but I'm sure the design will be great.

7. Pandora's Box -- Not sure if it's just the newness factor, but I think this one could be pretty good. I'd trade this immediately for an IP (especially something like Hill House or Halloween '18), but at least it's a brand new experience (unlike Holidayz).

8. HOTC -- It's this low because I have absolutely zero interest in it as an IP, but could it make for a great house? Absolutely. Just not looking forward to it at the moment. But I will keep an open mind and give it an honest assessment when I do my "best-of" list.

9. Holidayz -- It was a lazy concept last year, and they've doubled down the laziness by bringing it back. The facade looks cool, but I'm just straight up not looking forward to going through what is sure be a carbon copy of last year's scare zone. If I wasn't such an obsessive/completist, I'd probably skip it altogether.

1. Holidayz in Hell:
This might be an unpopular opinion but Holidayz is my most anticipated. Loved the scare zone last year so this is a welcoming return. I love the dark twisted humor and creativity that Murdy is putting into this one. I’m not a fan of Figures music but maybe the EDM can hype up the actors enough to give us excellent scares.

2. Ghostbusters:
From the looks of the facade alone I think this could easily be GOAT material. It’s such an iconic movie that made a big impact in 80s pop culture so it definitely deserves to be represented by HHN. So many memorable ghosts and creatures they can bring to life and I can’t wait to see how all the FX are pulled off. The reason why it’s not Number 1 for me is that I’m worried about the balance of horror and comedy since mazes like TITE and AVED failed to make me laugh and scream.

3. Creepshow:
I’m a fan of the movie and I am looking forward to the new series. This maze will likely be packed with so much great stuff and I’m absolutely happy they’re recreating that comic book aesthetic. Since this is an anthology maze I am really worried about the transitions. As someone who liked Trick R Treat last year, I am fully aware of how the black walls absolutely butchered that maze. I’m really hoping history won’t repeat itself.

4. The Curse of Pandora’s Box:
Just like Holidayz this maze seems very creative. Other than knowing the overall story I honestly have no clue what to expect with this one. With this and Spirts and Demons From The East, it’s nice to see great mythology other than Hispanic folklore in the event

5. Killer Klowns From Outer Space:
The movie is awesome and this can maze can be a ton of fun. I’m just concerned about the amount of black walls this might have, lately the Mummy Queue has housed mazes that Murdy wanted to do for over a decade which are filled with black walls (Exorcist, Shining, and TrT) and I’m scared about Killer Klowns being no exception.

6. Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman:
I absolutely adored Universal Monsters last year and I’m very excited for this one as well, I’m just more excited to see the mazes above this. I’m a little sad that there’s only two monsters that are appearing for the majority of the maze and I might have a case of Deja Vu while walking through it. I’m sure Murdy will put a lot of passion into making FMTW but with properties like Ghostbusters and Creepshow he just might put a little more passion into those mazes.

7. Stranger Things:
I actually liked the maze from last year and I liked season 2 but I loved season 3. Both seasons are more intense than the first one so maybe the scares will be better this time around. I don’t like how this maze will be season 2 heavy and I’m worried about the demodogs and Mind Flayer.

8. House of 1000 Corpses:
I don’t think the film is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. I started going to HHN in 2014 so this year I’ll be popping my Corpses cherry (sounds kinda weird when I put it like that). I’m looking forward to seeing the set pieces and the characters in person. This’ll definitely be the goriest maze and this could actually be pretty claustrophobic and intense if done well.

9. Us:
It’s not that I’m not excited for Us, I really am, but the film is basically filled with regular looking people with red jumpsuits and scissors. That doesn’t really sound as exciting as seeing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man or Fluffy the crate monster. This was added to the lineup late in the creative process so of course the chances of this being the budget house are pretty high.

10. Walking Dead Attraction:

Can we all just give a round of applause to Universal for not adding the Purge to the lineup? :clap:

1. Ghostbusters- This sounds like it'll have really cool set-pieces and effects, kind of reminds of of AvP which is still one of my favorite mazes of all time. The movie is a timeless classic, has enough elements of scary atmosphere and iconic imagery to translate into a great walkthrough.
2. Holidayz in Hell- Taking something innocent and turning it evil and demented is a great haunt trope and this maze sounds like it'll be a lot of fun with great character design and plenty of visual gags. Murdy and Co. also seem very passionate about this one so that bodes well for it.
3. Us- Pure bias, love Jordan Peele, loved the movie, even if the film is considered lackluster, this will probably have plenty of red-jumpsuited Tethered coming for us. There's a good variety of scenes and the soundtrack will make this one very exciting.
4. Creepshow- This property has everything that translates into a great maze: diverse range of monsters, settings, and atmosphere. I like the concept of a living pulp horror comic book come to life, and it sounds like a very solid maze.
5. The Curse of Pandora's Box- Greek mythology? Needful Things-esque sinister storefront? Completely original? Count me in. Any one of these mazes could be the dark horse this year, but this one has me very excited.
6. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman- Another semi-original maze which means more freedom in the layout and design. I wasn't the biggest fan of last year's Universal Monsters, which felt like a step down from the retired House of Horrors, but focusing on two major monsters with a more linear story sounds very fun.
7. Stranger Things- Last year's maze had the best production of the year, but I waited way too long to be satisfied by it. I also haven't seen anything beyond a couple of episodes of the second and third season. But hopefully we get another maze with stellar production and iconic scenes brought to life.
8. Killer Klowns from Outer Space- The movie is very fun and full of dark humor, I just want that translated to the maze. If our costumes are as good as Orlando's from last year's scarezone, then this will be really fun.
9. House of 1000 Corpses- Literally the only Rob Zombie film I've ever seen, so this should be the most extreme and gory of the year. I never got a chance to go through the last version of the maze, so it'll be cool to go through for the first time. This year's lineup is probably my favorite since I first attended in 2014, and every single maze has lots of potential. My only fear is that more mazes means more black hallways and boo-box scares. Hopefully they've listened to the criticism which is pretty widespread at this point and return to the super-immersive productions of the past and this will be a great year.

This list has probably been the most difficult to make because I am truly excited for every single thing. Certain things just edge out others. Even at the best year of the event, 2016, I wasn’t excited for every single thing because of American Horror Story. But this year, I’m excited for everything. Some things moreso than others

1. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man- Yeah I’m gonna echo most other people and put this at number 1. Last year’s maze was easily my all time favorite. The set design was incredible, characters looked great, and the music was phenomenal. I expect the same love and care to go into the design of this year’s maze, the same amazing characters plus some new renditions, and some new incredible music by Slash. Plus with Vs. moments like Freddy vs. Jason and Alien vs. Predator, I think it has the potential to be pretty dang scary too.

2. The Curse of Pandora’s Box- I’m still waiting to hear more from Murdy, however based off what was put in the articles this sounds like it’ll be amazing. Some of my favorite mazes of all time are originals (el cucuy and la llarona) and to see another original without musician involvement is exciting. Would I like to see a Metallica maze like the original rumors suggested? Maybe some day. But this maze sounds incredible and I can’t wait to hear more.

3. Ghostbusters- This was my number one for a while, but after re-evaluating I moved it down to 3. I’m still super excited for this maze, and I think the effects will be incredible. I hope that it’ll be as amazing as I imagine, however Murdy hasn’t done the best job combining horror and comedy. But I think if any maze is gonna be successful at it, I think it’ll be this one.

4. Holidayz in Hell- I for one don’t mind musicians being involved in mazes. Dubstep isn’t exactly my type of music anymore, but I think Figure could bring something interesting to the table with this maze. The zone last year was tons of fun and I think this is a great way to follow it up.

5. Creepshow- I wasn’t too excited for this maze when I found out about it. But after watching the movie and watching the panel John did, I’m pretty excited for it. Blending the TV show and the movie was one of the many unexpected elements of speculation this year and it’s exciting to see old and new being brought together. The comic book aesthetic excites me as well, and I hope it’ll replace the black walls of this maze.

6. Killer Klowns From Outer Space- One of my favorite cheesy B horror movies. The location worries me due to it being a smaller venue and the Klowns are quite large creatures, but I think it has the potential to just be a great, not so scary, recreation of the movie.

7. Stranger Things- I love this show, but last year’s maze was underwhelming to me. I think season 2 will lend itself MUCH better to a maze than 1 and I think they’re really gonna try to one up last year’s.

8. House of 1,000 Corpses- I was a year late to get to experience the 2011 maze, but I’m excited that I finally get to experience it now. The focus on the film’s grittier aesthetic excites me. This has some great characters and environments and I’m very excited to see it.

9.Us- I love this movie, and I think it has some great environments for the maze. And I’m still very excited for this maze, however the fear from the movie comes from the concept of doppelgängers and I just don’t see that translating effectively to a maze. I have hope that Peele’s involvement will bring something fresh to the table, but without doppelgängers this feels like it’ll be comparable to a slasher maze.

1.) Holidayz in Hell: When this was first rumored, I really didn't expect this to end up as my number one anticipated maze of the year, but from what has been said on the scenes and all the visual pieces we have been given, it all seems incredibly creative and fresh. I loved the scarezone last year and it seems this maze will keep its somewhat dark humorous tone, which is exciting. The scene lineup also seems so tight that there likely wont even be any room for black walls, which is also very exciting. The main thing that concerns me about this maze is Figure, as I've never really been a fan of his music, and if they aren't careful it could easily ruin the atmosphere the scenes of this maze could have.

2.) The Curse of Pandora's Box: My excitement for this maze may still be freshness bias, but from the small amount of info we have so far, this seems very promising. The concept sounds like it lends the designers a lot of creativity to do what they want with it, and if done correctly the greek influence could make for some really beautiful scenic work. I may be jumping the gun a bit by placing this so high up so early, but just from the get go it sounds like something we really haven't seen at the even before. The main thing that could be a detriment to this maze is if they decide to reuse a lot of props or decide to go a bit generic on the design for Hades' domain, like they've occasionally done with depictions of hell in the past. Here's to hoping this maze comes out beautifully.

3.) Creepshow: I really never expected this maze to be nearly as high on my list as it is, especially with the rumors of it just being the Shudder version, but once we heard a bit more at MSS I was sold on this maze. It has a nice balance of the classic and the new, with the new story Grey Matter somewhat resembling the Jordy Verrill story, which sorta makes up for it. The use of comic transitions is nice as it shows that the design team at least sorta listens to us, as that sort of thing has been requested at least as far back as Trick r Treat, but I do think it fits a bit better here. The only other worry I have is a lot of black wall segments with The Creep popping out at us without much reason, but I doubt it'll be too frequent if it happens at all.

4.) Killer Klowns from Outer Space: I know a lot of people have been really worried about how this maze will turn out due to its location, but I think its possible that it'll still turn out pretty great. There are a few things worth getting worried about, such as the potential for there being a lot of black walls, or the fact that they're removing a handful of iconic scenes from the original movie, but I think we won't really be able to know how well founded those worries are till we walk through it in roughly 22 days. My main personal worry is that the scenic design won't be up to par with the original film, but I love the original so much that I doubt I'll be able to dislike the maze, even if its a bit lackluster.

5.) Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man: This maze probably should be a lot higher on my list, but for whatever reason I can't really bring myself to be that excited for it. Maybe it's the lack of the other monsters, or that I think the movie it's based on is a little lackluster, but most likely its just because we really don't have a lot of information on this maze, though I'm hoping the reason behind it is because Murdy and his team have cooked up some really cool stuff they don't want to spoil for us. The return of Slash is particularly exciting though, I don't really remember if hes making new tracks for this or if they're just using the same ones from last year, but either way I can at least rest assured that the maze witll at least sound really great. With a good amount of luck I think this maze could easily become a sleeper hit for me, and maybe even jump up to my number 2 or 3 spot, but we'll have to wait to see how its executed for that.

6.) House of 1000 Corpses: I never got to experience the original mazes in 2010 and 2011 (or 2000 if you count that) and frankly I think the movie stopped being enjoyable once Captain Spaulding stopped being in it, but I think this maze could end up being really visually interesting if they try to go all out with it. Given the tone of the movie, if executed correctly, this maze could also be a nice gritty return to form for the mazes of yesteryear that we haven't really seen in a while, which is pretty exciting. I do think if they aren't careful this maze could focus a bit too much on less interesting segments of the film however, or that it'll just end up a copy of the 2010 and 2011 mazes without the 3D.

7.) Ghostbusters: I'm aware that I'm very much in the minority of people for putting this maze so low on my list, but I think this maze is a bit dangerous primarily due to the fact that it relies almost entirely on its execution. The creature effects and the actors will really make or break this maze, at least for me, since its pretty much up to them to balance the scares and the humor that the property requires, and its a pretty easy formula to mess up. Hopefully it all goes well and doesn't flop, since if everything works out this maze could end up one of the best in the events history.

8.) Us: Unlike a seemingly large amount of people, I really enjoyed Us when I saw it in theaters earlier this year, and thought it had some pretty strong maze potential. I still do think that, though I'm a bit more weary now, as this maze likely wasn't intended to be here from the beginning. The mentions of certain iconic scenes such as the burning car not being included, and how large the venue is for the somewhat limited amount of locations in the movie make me a bit nervous, which the rumors of this maze having the most black walls this year doesn't really help. Despite that, I still hold some hope for it as we know Jordan Peele had at least some creative control, though we don't really know how much, and the soundtrack from the film is gonna be used in the maze, which was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Overall this maze won't be my highest priority on preview night, but I'll still make an effort to get to it.

9.) Stranger Things: I don't really have anything against Stranger Things, or this maze really, but compared to the rest of the lineup and with how little information we really have on it, this just seems a little weak to me. I was a little bored by season 2 and didn't really think it had a lot of maze potential on its own, but hearing the small inclusion of season 3 made me a little more optimistic. Hopefully the amount of puppets in this maze will change my mind, or the Starcourt ending will impress me, but as it sits right now this maze isn't a super high priority for me (even if I'm still gonna have to go to it first every night just to beat the line).

???.) Walking Dead Attraction: Didn't really give this a ranking number since it's sorta hard for me to even include this with all the other mazes since it's sorta just become part of the regular park in my mind. Along with that I don't think much of it in relation to HHN, so its kinda hard to be disappointed by it or anything. If they do something cool with it maybe it'll end up somewhere on the later ranking, if not I'll probably just consider it one of the rides.

1. Creepshow: I love the movie sooo much and am really intrigued, not only by the stories they chose, but also the comic book aesthetic both on the outside and inside of the maze.

2. Ghostbusters: I'm just ecstatic to see the variety of ghosts from the first movies, as well as the other films that Murdy kept "hinting" at on Twitter.

3. Stranger Things: Unpopular opinion (at least when it comes to consensus on the forums), but I really loved last years Stranger Things maze! It may not have been terrifying, but the atmosphere and sets were really good. I'm a die-hard fan and I can't wait to see scenes from Seasons 2 & 3 come to life, with all those badass creatures.

4. Killer Klowns from Outer Space: I'm definitely pumped to get to go through both the circus tent and funhouse portions of the maze. Very interested to see how the masks and costumes of the clowns will be affected by their location in the Mummy queue. Regardless, I hope it captures the creepy moments well.

5. The Curse of Pandoras Box: Despite being given very few details about this maze today, I'm genuinely hopeful there will be a multitude of unique, original monsters in it, since the sky is the limit with this maze! The UV concept, despite not being 3D, makes me curious and hopeful as well!

6. Holidayz in Hell: I loved the scare zone last year, yet this maze is a tad lower as I already have the basic idea of what to expect, not just because of the Monsterpalooza panel, but because of going through the scare zone. I do care about what scenes we'll at least witness, as well as the new monsters and possible redesigns of several holiday mascots though!

7. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man: Even though I loved Universal Monsters, I'm kinda worried this concept may get dragged out a bit too much in future years. I will say that I was a bit tired of seeing Frankenstein's monster last year, and I get that he's Murdys favorite. What I'm definitely looking forward to is seeing the Wolf Man though, as he was only in last year's maze twice and he's my 2nd favorite classic Universal monster (behind the Creature, which I hope will get his own stand-alone maze in the future!)

8. Us: Despite loving the movie (even more than Get Out), and finding the concept and several scenes creepy, I will say that this maze does seem a bit off, at least in this lineup. I get that this property can go easy on the budget, what with the simple makeup of the Tethered. But compared to the other monsters and antagonists at this years event, I don't really find the Tethered to be as scary. Hopefully it'll be an underdog maze and have aggressive actors that really hit their marks.

9. House of 1000 Corpses: The way I see HoTC this year is the way I viewed Saw returning in 2017. After going through 2009 and 2010's version of the maze, the 2017 version definitely felt like a scaled-down version, despite not only having that creative room from Jigsaw, but ironically being the maze that had the least blackout rooms that year. I feel the same with H0TC, in that it also allows the creative team to not have to dig too much into the budget. I'd like to hope there'll be some new elements that weren't there when I went through it back in 2010 and 2011. Maybe the geography of the Water World queue will force the design and construction teams to be creative in what scenes are chosen, how they're executed, and how the scares will work. Regardless, this maze kinda seems forgettable in this year's lineup. If it's a budget thing, I get it.

Last edited:
Us - I feel like from top to bottom, this is the only maze that makes me feel any sense of dread. Everything else is slightly goofy, slightly kiddish (except HOTC) - some cartoony paint, some cartoony characters, some softer scares because it’s old or aimed for teens. Even this movie has that element to an extent, but I think translated to a house, it’ll be all scares and environment.

Holidays in Hell
- I am super excited for this because I absolutely loved the zone last year. While it does have its comedic undertones, I think scenically it has the opportunity to be beautiful, fun and scary.

Killer Klowns - This sounds like so much fun and reminds me a lot of old school HHN tactics to scare people. While it’ll probably end up more goofy than anything, I think being able to finally see this as a maze in general is pretty giddy-worthy.

Stranger Things - I think they learned their lessons from last year and are focusing more on making it scare heavy. It really showed by the end of October last year, so I think they know how to approach this from a design stand point from the get-go this time.

FMTW - I was in the super minority who thought UCM was “meh,” so I’m hoping this takes it up a notch with more of a focus on just mainly two monsters.

Pandora’s Box - I was excited for this on all fronts until I heard “UV lighting” and now I’m cautious. But it’s something new, so that should be fun.

Ghostbusters - From a scenic stand point, I’m excited, but for the scares, I have no anticipation really. More of a “I’ll wait and see.”

House of 1000 Corpses - I’ve seen this twice already, so this sounds like the definition of “filler.” Only things getting me excited for it is it’s no longer in stupid 3D and it’s in a different location that usually rocks it.

Creepshow - I don’t care about it, at all. I like the movie but never wanted to see a maze on it.

Last edited:
My most anticipated maze is a close call between Killer Klowns and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. They are pretty much tied, but I will give the edge to Killer Klowns since we haven't had anything like it at Horror Nights.

So my list:

1. Killer Klowns- I love the movie and this has so much potential to be one of the most inventive and unique mazes ever.

2. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man- I'm a huge fan of the Classic Monsters and I hope they get at least one maze every year from now on.

3. Creepshow- I wish that it was all based on the movies, but at least most of it will be, plus I am looking forward to the comic book aesthetic.

4. Curse of Pandora's Box- I love the idea of having a maze themed to Greek Mythology.

5. Holidayz in Hell- The scare zone was great last year so I am glad that the theme is getting expanded into a full maze.

6. Ghostbusters- It has the potential for some great scenes, but I worry how they will be able to do certain things with practical effects.

7. House of 1000 Corpses- This will probably be the gore maze for this year. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but this has potential for a maze

8. Us- I had very mixed feelings about the movie, but this could still make a good maze because of the boardwalk setting and the start of the movie taking place in a fun house.

9. Stranger Things- I am one of the five people that don't care about Stranger Things as an IP, so even if the maze is well executed, I likely won't get that much from it.