HHN 2023: Most Anticipated House | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2023: Most Anticipated House

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Most Anticipated House?

• Evil Dead Rise

• The Last of Us

• Stranger Things

• Monstruos: The Monsters of Latin America

• Holidayz in Hell

• Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count

• Universal Monsters: Unmasked

• The Exorcist: Believer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Getting rid of Holidayz in Hell, I personally feel like this is a solid lineup right here. Not 2019 level, but still good enough for me.

Overall, it’s hard to choose between Monstrous or The Last of Us.

Here’s my ranking:

1. The Last of Us - Finally another video game maze is coming to the event and while I’m not a huge fan of the game, I’m definitely looking forward to what this will lead on into the future of HHN. I’m excited to hear Troy Baker voice inside the maze.

2. Monstrous: The Monsters of Latin America - Because I loved La Llorona last year, and there’s a high chance I might love this one. They always knock it out out of the park.

3. Universal Monsters: Unmasked - Love to see more of The Invisible Man and The Phantom. Though last years was a letdown for me, I am interested to see where the story is going to go. I can’t wait to see some possible interactions with the monsters.

4. Stranger Things S4 - Well, maybe third times a charm? Okay, what I’m looking forward to is seeing Vecna and his kills, the gulag, and most importantly Eddie playing Master of Puppets. This is the closest I’ll ever get to a Metallica maze I guess lol.

5. Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count - Not a huge fan of Chucky, but it’s nice to see a slasher that isn’t Michael Myers or Leatherface for once, so I’ll take it, especially if it’s a killer doll this time.

6. Evil Dead Rise - Haven’t seen the movie yet but I’m sure it’s gonna bloody crazy inside. Not much to expect, it’s probably gonna be Hotel Hell with Evil Dead stuff.

7. The Exorcist Believer - Glad it’s the new one, though because the movie isn’t out yet, don’t know what expect of this.

8. Holidayz in Hell - Well, I know what I’m skipping to save some time.

Last of Us gets my vote, love the IP and hoping its a great time

I'll also guess that I really love either Universal Monsters: Unmasked and Monstrous: The Monsters of Latin America, I have don't really have hype for these but have been enjoying the Monster/Latin themed mazes more in the recent year

1. Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count- This is entirely my own personal bias as a fan of the series. I also love that it's more of a catch-all greatest hits approach like they've done with the other Titans of Terror. I also think being the first maze to use puppets extensively will make it stand out.
2. The Last of Us- This has the potential to be the scariest maze. Great creature design, recognizable characters from the game, unique fungus-infested environments will make this one to see.
3. Monstruos: The Monsters of Latin America- Good thing we're not ranking these based on titles because this is maybe the most literal interpretation of a concept I've ever heard. That sneak peek at Midsummer Scream showed a lot of potential and the original concepts from the last few years have been really strong.
4. Stranger Things- Netflix gave them so much sh*t for the last iteration there's no way they can mess it up this time. Vecna is genuinely menacing, the Creel house is perfect for translating to a haunt setting, we also have iconic scenes from my favorite season so yeah, excited.
5. Universal Monsters: Unmasked- As much as I think the Universal Monsters are beginning to become a bit long in the tooth, a la Walking Dead or the Purge, I think a focus on a different cast of monsters is interesting. The only downside is that our version takes place entirely within the catacombs and lairs under Paris, unlike the Orlando counterpart.
6. The Exorcist: Believer- A dark horse contender. I hated the 2016 Exorcist for plaguing the event forevermore with Black Wall Syndrome. However, considering this is based on a movie most people won't see before experiencing the haunt, I'm hoping there will be more of an effort to adapt actual sets and scenes.
7. Evil Dead Rise- Been there, haven't done THAT, per say. Should be more violent and in your face than the Horror Hotel. I really really really hope they find a way to bring that creature from the end of the movie to life somehow.
8. Holidayz in Hell- Been there, done that. I did actually love this maze in 2019 though. A new layout and maybe some expanded scenes (Christmas) and no long black tunnel will actually help make this an improvement.

This is the most excited I've been for Hollywood, I've only been fortunate to attend since black-wall syndrome has consumed the event, and after last year I'm excited to actually be hopeful for a quality event.

1) Monstruos- No brainer. Sweet costumes and scenic, just sounds like a home-run all around.

2) Evil Dead Rise- Curious to see how this differs from last year's Horror Hotel, but I'm totally game for a creepy, gory haunt.

3) The Last of Us- Impossible not to be excited for this one. More excited for Orlando's, but I expect a lot of Easter eggs and tons of love put into this one

4) Universal Monsters- Hasn't disappointed yet, and set entirely in the catacombs it seems like a more claustrophobic haunt ala Scarecrow. Costumes look great and I sense a lot of fun interactions.

5) Holidayz in Hell- I love comedy haunts, and this was my favorite of 2019 by a mile. Hoping to see an expanded Christmas section and the return of that glorious burnt scent for 4th of July.

6) Stranger Things 4- Always long haunts, and last year signaled an impressive boost in quality from recent years, potential for lots of iconic scenes and more intimate scares with Vecna. I feel like Netflix won't let this one disappoint.

7) Chucky- My #1 in Orlando, I think I'm subconsciously having House of Horrors flashbacks that have me concerned about the quality, by Hollywood seems to always have a more sardonic sense of humor that I think will fit the character. I'm more excited to see Hollywood-centric themes at Hollywood, but I think Chunky will still be tons of fun.

8) Exorcist- I have high hopes for this one, but I'm personally just burnt-out on the property. Probably better than most of the haunts from 2017-2021 IMO, but I can't muster any excitement other than "I'm glad it's not something else that could be worse."

1. Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count: A Chucky-centric house is long overdue. Lots of awesome possibilities here.

2. Stranger Things: I thought season four was the strongest season yet. I'm anticipating this a bunch, but also kinda dreading it? Feels like USH really needs to nail it.

3. Evil Dead Rise: Yes, it could end up being just a re-do of UHH, but I'm hopeful the team has made an effort to install some new ideas. Ready for the cheese-grater scene.

4. Universal Monsters: Unmasked: Love the theme, and happy to have a break from Frank and Wolfie.

5. Monstrous: The Monsters of Latin America: The track record with this concept is so strong and I think it's great that they're starting to branch out.

6. The Exorcist: Believer: I'm curious because it's new, but I'm generally just bored with this property so I dunno. Maybe it'll surprise me.

7. Terror Tram: Happy to have the Peele-iverse back. The Exterminatorz concept feels low-rent, like Fright Fest levels. We'll see.

8. The Last of Us: I got some heat for this but I stand by it -- this would be at or near the top if it was based on the show. It could well end up being the best house of the entire event, and I will give due props if so, but as of now, it's just not something I'm hyped about.

9. Holidayz in Hell: I thought this house was the epitome of average in 2019 and I've never craved to experience it again.

Oh baby, here we go!

9) Evil Dead Rise - I totally get why they're doing it, and I honestly would've done the same, but...I already liked UHH, but I disliked the new movie. I feel so conflicted, yet, so neutral at the same time. This doesn't raise my anticipation level at all for me.
8) Holidayz in Hell - I love the original maze and the scarezone, so I honestly welcome it back with open arms as long as it can keep the crazy performances up from the original.
7) Terror Tram: Exterminatorz - Seems very cheesy, so it can go either way.
6) Last of Us - Not a fan of this property. I'm sure it'll be good, but I don't quite seeing it knock out of the park, especially with Murdy not being a game player. Silent Hill was okay, I honestly expect this to be the same.
5) Chucky - This is another one that can go either way. It has to tow a fine line and if it doesn't, it'll just be trash. I can see this being a lot of fun or also hating it. I want to love it, because I love Chucky, so as long as its just gory and kinda like the Titans mazes, it'll be fun.
4) Exorcist: Believer - This is a wild card and for that reason, is a dark horse. I honestly feel like it could be very good. As long as they don't just copy the original format, this should be good. One way to look at it is it is essentially an original maze since we won't know the product at the time (at least those of us going opening weeks).
3) Universal Monsters - All the UCM mazes have been good and honestly, I can go through these mazes forever. Maybe one year they can have a break, but I don't foresee feeling that way any time in the next 5 years. This newest iteration sounds the most original yet.
2) Stranger Things - I literally can't help myself, I'm excited to see Vecna. This was easily the most HHN worthy season and I'm glad it's actually happening.
1) Monstruous - The facade is gorgeous and there is so much potential for this in terms of tone, make up, and effects. This could be an all-timer.

Here's my rankings:

Tier 1: Beautiful originals

Monstruos: Loved LA Llorona last year, the sneak peak confirmed great set design in a confined space.
Monsters Unmasked:  Wish we would see a bit more of Paris, but I'm very excited to see different classic characters, and the first appearance of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Tier 2: Name brand IP

Stranger Things 4: Merely a casual fan of the show, but it can't be denied this season was begging to be featured at a Haunt. My question is, might there be too much ground to cover, so fans are disappointed one of their favorite scenes is missing?
The Last of Us: Same concern here. Also, Post apocalyptic mazes can often blend together visually in my opinion, but I love the design of the heroes and villains of this world, and that should carry it. Will the tight quarters of the tent help or hurt?
Exorcist Believer: Murdy described this as a "living trailer", so presumably no spoilers, which I appreciate. I'm not a fan of the franchise, and don't see many interesting sets in the trailer. Could surprise me though.

Tier 3: Goofy gory fun

Chucky: How many ways can a murderous doll kill? I hope they obliterate the 4th wall.
Terror Tram: Haven't particularly liked the last 2 editions, but combining a ridiculous premise with a hilarious original host piqued my interest. Plus the Tethered were a highlight last year, we'll see if they make additions.

Tier 4: Been There, (sort of) done that

Evil Dead Rise: How much of Horror hotel is reused? I thought last year's "original" house worked pretty well, and I ranked it in the middle. I expect this to work as well, depending on how they handle the ending.
Holidayz in Hell: Hope it doesn't end up like KKFOS last year. Maybe they'll expand or add some scenes?

Might as well
Hype/Anticipation List
1. Monstrous: Monster of Latin America

The Stand-Out of this year, the facade is AMAZING, new Latin Monsters other than La Llorona, and what's looking to be very disturbing scenes!! Super Stoked for this one!!
2. Universal Monsters: Unmasked
The Monsters houses never dissapoint and Im sure this one won't either, representation for the smaller monsters and darker setting makes me hyped for this one!
3. Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count
Would of been lower but the way Murdy talks about it and that its basically now and IP Original is great to hear!
4. The Last of Us
Clickers, that's my 2 cents
5. Terror Tram: The Exterminatorz
Another blast from my first year, always loved the scarezone so I hope this builds upon that, ready for then roaches with Chainsawz!!
6. The Exorcist: Believer
The Wild Card of this years event, no real expectations other than thank god it wasn't the original again.
7. Stranger Things 4
Season 4 was great, hope they pull the best of the best tho the last Stranger Things house was litteral bottom 5 of all time, Stranger Things in 2018 was good tho.
8. Evil Dead Rise:
The Layout and props might be the same but I hope the tone is darker, also funny that this is our exclusive that Orlando wanted.
9. Holidayz in Hell
With its new location behind transformers I hope its given a few reworks and improvementz like Halloween last year (another Parisian House that became a tent house) so i have some hype for it, if not I'll be left underwhelmed :(

Finally have time to give my two cents so here we go:

8. Holidayz in Hell: By far the lowest on my anticipation list. Been there, done that. I guess the silver lining is that they could potentially change some stuff up being that this is in a different venue. Not to mention we might finally get a proper Christmas scene this time around. This will likely be the one-and-done-for-the-year house that Klowns was for me last year.

7. Evil Dead Rise: I thought the movie was fine. I wasn't overwhelmed by it but I had a good time. That being said, we all know the story of how it was supposed to happen last year but ended up getting Horror Hotel. Well now we got what we were supposed to get. This is my second least-anticipated as this is essentially going to be Horror Hotel. I can't fault them for doing this but at least we get to see what we would've gotten last year. Would've preferred to see them move on to something else as I want to see what else they could do with this venue but again, I can't fault them for going the budget-saving route.

6. The Exorcist: Believer: Lower on my anticipation list by virtue of this being another Exorcist house, but as bad as the new movie looks, I'm glad we're getting it based on this version. At least it's something new and not the same thing all over again. This is also the first time we're getting two sound stage houses so I'm curious how they will utilize the sound stage in here even though it will be small.

5. The Last of Us: Honestly, I'm not a huge gamer so I'm a little apathetic to the IP. I'm a little baffled as to why this isn't in the sound stage but I'm not the one calling the shots here. I'm sure it will be good! The make up effects should be cool. I'm sure this will have some good set design as well.

4. Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count: The thing I'm really excited for here is how they will pull of the Chucky puppets. The way it will be executed will either be really lame or really cool. There is no in-between. Although I consider Chucky more comedic than scary, I'm easily freaked out by small moving antagonists in person so I think this could be pretty cool! Plus, this will be an "original" take on the IP so we'll have no idea what to expect!

3. Universal Monsters: Unmasked: Every year so far, Murdy and his team have knocked it out of the park with the Monsters houses. Fifth year in a row they've done a Monsters house and I hope the train isn't stopping anytime soon! Gimmie more Classic Monsters! They're all great! Being this one will be set in the French catacombs, especially the few bits we saw at Midsummer, I think this is going to be one of the stronger Universal Monsters houses. Bring it!

2. Monstrous: Monsters of Latin America: Eh, I'm not a fan of the name, but after seeing the preview at Midsummer, I think this is going to be an all-timer! The mechanical effects for the La Lechuza AA look like it will be amazing, the scenic looks incredible, and the prosthetic design looks fantastic! It's also set in Parisian which will require smaller, more intimate sets, making for great scares. Even though it was a repeat, La Llorona turned out to be my second favorite house last year. Can't wait to see how this will turn out!

1. Stranger Things: Yeah, Stranger Things is my most-anticipated house. Shoot me. We have a real legitimate antagonist to work with and some potentially massive sets in here. I'm cautiously optimistic this will be the Orlando-style grand-scale house we've always wanted in a sound stage house in Hollywood. Please don't suck. Also, Master of Puppets! \m/ I think this will be at least a lot of fun!

I'll mention it here as I consider Tram to be its own thing and not a "house", but this is probably the most excited I've been for the Tram. That large floorboard they're building has me awfully curious. I'm also glad they're finally doing a totally original theme that doesn't involve Hollywood Harry. I do hope he makes an appearance somewhere in the park though.

I'm trying to get out to Hollywood's event this year, so here is my hype list. There's a good chance I don't get to go this year, but I figured I'd post my list anyways lol.

1. The Last of Us - Clickers and Bloaters are scary and I loved Seeds and Descendants over here in Orlando. Nuff said lol.

2. Monstrous: Monsters of Latin America - While I do think Murdy needs to move on from Latin American culture, this house looks phenomenal and could work as a send-off to the Latin American theme trend.

3. Universal Monsters: Unmasked - Phantom and Invisible Man are some of my all-time favorite Universal Monsters, so I'm excited to see these characters in action.

4. Stranger Things - If Murdy hadn't mentioned he worked with Orlando on this house, then it would be waaay lower on my list. Plus, those pictures peaking into SS 29 are promising.

5. Terror Tram: The Exterminatorz - Loved Bugs: Eaten Alive over here in Orlando, so this is right up my alley.

6. Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count - Originally thought this was gonna be based on the Syfy series on both Coasts, but it seems they opted for a funhouse/original house. Interested to see if this house is meta.

7. Evil Dead Rise - Really didn't enjoy the movie very much. Only looking forward to the woodchipper finale.

8. The Exorcist: Believer - Trailer was boring. Would've preferred the original only because Regan's house is iconic and I love the opening scene with her house as the facade.

9. Holidayz In Hell - I've seen walkthroughs of this house and doesn't look that interesting. I love the concept, but just falls flat I feel.

Reactions: Freak
My most anticipated houses in order
Exorcist: Believer
EDR
TLOU
Chucky: UKC
UM: Unmasked
Holidays in Hell
Monstrous: TMOLA
ST4

TT: The Exterminatorz - I’m excited about the first section of this walkthrough. I hope it continues in Jupiter’s Claim.