Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 24: The Walking Dead: End of The Line

This, this, this, so much this. Keeping the creatives from... you know, being creative, and forcing them to do things they don't want to is going to result in turnover. Spoilers: it already has!

That is the way business works with a company the size of Comcast. Creative and Business (Marketing/Advertising/Branding/Finance/PR/Legal/etc) all have to work together for the best overall product. Might not be ideal, but that's the way it works. Still we are only talking about one house so not that big of a deal. I do agree they should have waited to announce this maybe in the middle. The die hard fans are the only ones waiting for these announcements right now, and obviously those fans are not what WD is targeted for.

That is the way business works with a company the size of Comcast. Creative and Business (Marketing/Advertising/Branding/Finance/PR/Legal/etc) all have to work together for the best overall product. Might not be ideal, but that's the way it works. Still we are only talking about one house so not that big of a deal. I do agree they should have waited to announce this maybe in the middle. The die hard fans are the only ones waiting for these announcements right now, and obviously those fans are not what WD is targeted for.

The Universal parks have been owned by many companies and have managed to turn out a quality, profitable product that pleases everyone without resorting to Walking Dead reduxes, crappy houses, insane prices with reduced offerings (both quality & quantity). Obviously any event of this size has to be a collaboration from all departments - but right now, Creative has little to no say, with Marketing/PR having seized all the reigns.

The Universal parks have been owned by many companies and have managed to turn out a quality, profitable product that pleases everyone without resorting to Walking Dead reduxes, crappy houses, insane prices with reduced offerings (both quality & quantity). Obviously any event of this size has to be a collaboration from all departments - but right now, Creative has little to no say, with Marketing/PR having seized all the reigns.

So are you saying last years houses were crappy?? I know its not the "good old days" of HHN, but 6 of 8 houses were pretty good including the WD house. Plus, I would say Comcast has pretty good track record on quality/quantity, even with HHN. Has it gone more mainstream, yes. But attendance numbers seem to prove they are producing a product that the majority of their base likes.

I just dont get all the hate on it. They made a mistake last year with scare zones. This years house should be completely different than last years, just like the previous year was different than last year. They did surveys (i know I took one) and I assume focus groups on this. If it had come out that the majority does not want another WD house, then they wouldnt be doing it.

So are you saying last years houses were crappy?? I know its not the "good old days" of HHN, but 6 of 8 houses were pretty good including the WD house. Plus, I would say Comcast has pretty good track record on quality/quantity, even with HHN. Has it gone more mainstream, yes. But attendance numbers seem to prove they are producing a product that the majority of their base likes.

I just dont get all the hate on it. They made a mistake last year with scare zones. This years house should be completely different than last years, just like the previous year was different than last year. They did surveys (i know I took one) and I assume focus groups on this. If it had come out that the majority does not want another WD house, then they wouldnt be doing it.

Save for AWIL, Cabin, and Evil Dead, yeah, I thought pretty much all the houses were mediocre to embarrassingly bad. Scare design across the board (even in AWIL/Cabin/Evil Dead) has devolved into guy popping out from an obvious gap in the wall and hitting an e-prompt pedal.

Give me back show scenes, victims, impressive lighting and scare design, decent cast sizes, real special effects worthy of the budget, and less intrusive ops, to name a few things.

It isn't just the overall invasiveness/refocusing on the IPs... the entire quality of the event has suffered.

I do agree that when you compare HHN to HOS, you can tell HHN has a lot more money being poured into it, but you can also tell that the scares at HOS are much better than anything at HHN.

HOS runs on a limited budget, but they manage to put on a quality event still mostly because of a cast full of people that return year after year and love their job. Not to mention HOS actually does a fairly rigorous audition process to actually test the actors skill level before casting. HHN is literally nothing but bringing about 20-25 people into a room and type casting.

Last edited:
None of you can't deny how fast the quality of the event has shifted since 2012. It's not even the IPs it's just the failure to execute them. As fallow said, the scares just suck and man so do the scare zones. I'm sure this year will be heads and shoulders above the last 2 but that's not saying much at all

None of you can't deny how fast the quality of the event has shifted since 2012. It's not even the IPs it's just the failure to execute them. As fallow said, the scares just suck and man so do the scare zones. I'm sure this year will be heads and shoulders above the last 2 but that's not saying much at all
I thought last year was amazing minus the streets...

As much as I hate to see Universal fail...if this WD thing is a flop then perhaps marketing will be pushed back to were they belong and creative can once again have creative control over everything...

I do understand the decision though..Universal and HHN is interested in growing its audience and a huge property does that...they are applying the same method that has been working with Potter..

I thought last year was amazing minus the streets...

As much as I hate to see Universal fail...if this WD thing is a flop then perhaps marketing will be pushed back to were they belong and creative can once again have creative control over everything...

I do understand the decision though..Universal and HHN is interested in growing its audience and a huge property does that...they are applying the same method that has been working with Potter..

I liked AWIL (no duh) cabin and evil dead. Everything else was pretty lame and forgettable although I did like afterlife and llorona. I see why their doing it but the backlash is pretty incredible. They need to announce another IP and fast to get the crowds back

Lets get one thing straight Universal can give 2 craps about what fans think about what they do. Few years back they ddi but now its about money money money. They bring in what will bring them the most money. The Walking Dead is a top rated show so they are going to milk that for as long as they can. The website is crap and no interaction what so ever. Universal is fine with HHN being a ok event now instead of a holy crap I can't miss it. I wish it was about the fans and original ideas like 2008 2007 and so on. The event went to crap ever since marketing has a big say so since the 2008 billboard mishap.

Lets get one thing straight Universal can give 2 craps about what fans think about what they do. Few years back they ddi but now its about money money money.

They will care if attendance drops by 10-20%. However, I would agree that this probably won't happen in a zillion years. People will vent and then show up with bells on their toes.

They will care if attendance drops by 10-20%. However, I would agree that this probably won't happen in a zillion years. People will vent and then show up with bells on their toes.

I won't I will tell Mike & Tj just how I feel with them. Like I told Tj last year that Cabin in the woods is not very ADA compliant.

I won't I will tell Mike & Tj just how I feel with them. Like I told Tj last year that Cabin in the woods is not very ADA compliant.

I was doing the Unmasking the Horror Tour last year and remember grilling the guide about ADA issues in every maze. I don't even use a wheelchair, but I care.

it is not just "one house." the streets last year were a complete disgrace.
Besides The houses in 2012 were not great. there were only 2 houses that were really great. The streets in '12 were no good either (but they were lucky that the characters were entertaining to watch.) If it wasn't for them 2012 would have been pretty bad on both the houses and streets.

Ever since the event was put together with Hollywood things changed, and not for the best. seems like ever since the people from Hollywood started to work on the Orlando event we are not getting the kind of quality we are used to in previews years. Sure the same level of quality is seen on the sets of the houses, but the event is just not as great as it used to be. they have been dropping the ball lately.

Seems like part of the problem is that Walking Dead brought a lot of new fans these past two years. They don't really know any better so of course they love it.
It isn't even about being a hardcore fan or anything but if your first HHN experience was 2012 then you don't really know what the event can really offer. ignorance is bliss I guess......

Last edited:
My opinions take them as such

So are you saying last years houses were crappy??
Yes I am
I know its not the "good old days" of HHN, but 6 of 8 houses were pretty good including the WD house.
IMO they had two good houses and WD was not one of them and neither was the popular AWIL
Plus, I would say Comcast has pretty good track record on quality/quantity, even with HHN. Has it gone more mainstream, yes. But attendance numbers seem to prove they are producing a product that the majority of their base likes.
The last two year have been the disappointing to say the least

I just dont get all the hate on it.
The quality of the event has fallen considerably and the overcrowding of the event is ridiculous

They made a mistake last year with scare zones. This years house should be completely different than last years, just like the previous year was different than last year. They did surveys (i know I took one) and I assume focus groups on this. If it had come out that the majority does not want another WD house, then they wouldnt be doing it.
sure they would if they have a contract and can sell merchandise

- - - Updated - - -

it is not just "one house." the streets last year were a complete disgrace.
Besides The houses in 2012 were not great. there were only 2 houses that were really great. The streets in '12 were no good either (but they were lucky that the characters were entertaining to watch.) If it wasn't for them 2012 would have been pretty bad on both the houses and streets.

Ever since the event was put together with Hollywood things changed, and not for the best. seems like ever since the people from Hollywood started to work on the Orlando event we are not getting the kind of quality we are used to in previews years. Sure the same level of quality is seen on the sets of the houses, but the event is just not as great as it used to be. they have been dropping the ball lately.

Seems like part of the problem is that Walking Dead brought a lot of new fans these past two years. They don't really know any better so of course they love it.
It isn't even about being a hardcore fan or anything but if your first HHN experience was 2012 then you don't really know what the event can really offer. ignorance is bliss I guess......
Well said

It's funny how this is kind of the dark age of horror nights. These past 2 years have left a new era of darkness. With the talk of 4 original houses and a mindblow IP my hopes are high but BS could arise. Honestly they can't possibly get any worse flack from this announcement so we can just look above it at this point

It's funny how this is kind of the dark age of horror nights. These past 2 years have left a new era of darkness. With the talk of 4 original houses and a mindblow IP my hopes are high but BS could arise. Honestly they can't possibly get any worse flack from this announcement so we can just look above it at this point

yeah, a new era of Darkness indeed, and not a good one lol. The houses will be okay I guess, I just wish we got really amazing streets like in 08. I don't mind so-so houses or a lot of Ips just as long as the streets are well decorated and the costumes are really nice.

This mention of a "dark age" of HHN is a little over stretched. We're still talking about a world class halloween event regardless if it's not AS good as years before. Perspective people.