1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

HHN 27: Employee Preview Thread

Discussion in 'Halloween Horror Nights 27' started by Brian G., Sep 13, 2017.

1. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

From the one and only Sheehy,

maroonmol and ThemeParks4Life like this.
  2. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

I'm slightly surprised by how bad BH is doing. I thought Insidious might have helped it

3. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

I believe a lot of people didn't like Insidious back in 25, So there would probably be prejudice for that IP as is.

EllTee and ChaseTuff like this.
  4. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

I read the tweet but somehow Hive was in my mind, not BH. My mistake.

Brian G. likes this.
  5. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

Huh, must be an Orfanage situation(strong praise during event, hated after event). At the time I remember how many good reviews Insidious got, but I can understand how people didn't like it.

6. Tobias

Tobias Member

An' here's Grilling with Guns personal rank,

Keep in mind, the only one it looked like they disliked was Blumhouse.

7. Returning-The-Reaction

Returning-The-Reaction Member

So far, based on our Most Anticipated thread, tonight's small sampling of reviews seem to indicate: Hive and The Shining could be slightly below expectations, The Reaping slightly above expectations, and all the other houses are right about where we thought they'd be.

8. ChaseTuff

ChaseTuff Veteran Member

While I am aware this is EP and things can change, rehearsal, etc, it's hard not to look badly at Blumhouse considering it's been like the one pure negative.

9. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

It looks like the MIB tent will be going 0/2 for good houses and 2/2 for the unanimous worst house of the year :lol:

10. Returning-The-Reaction

11. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

Returning the Reaction: Most reviews I've seen of The Shining have been very positive. Thought Hive would the breakout hit, though.

ChaseTuff likes this.
  12. Returning-The-Reaction

I didn't say The Shining has been badly received, just less so than predicted. As I said in the Most Anticipated thread, we ranked the houses into (basically) 4 tiers. We had The Shining in the 2nd tier. I'd say based off of tonight, it's low 2nd tier/high 3rd. But, this is based on a tiny sample size. No big deal.

OhHaiInternet95 and ChaseTuff like this.
  13. Sledge

Sledge Veteran Member

Where is the spinning vortex room this year?

14. hishedale

hishedale Veteran Member

I'm slightly disheartened by the AvED reception. I was looking forward to it, especially this year. This year is a special year, and the Ash house is especially special.

15. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Incredibly low crowds tonight. Taking away the TM + 1 really impacted attendance big time (and of course, Irma).

I was able to do three houses at the end of the night - Hive and Saw. I've heard incredible things about The Fallen and The Shining. I did what I could fit in in a matter of about 25 mins if you're wondering why I did those.

I hit a lot of scares, many of which were ones that probably won't be particularly effective in a conga line, but were great tonight. Anyway, here's some quick hits...

Hive - Facade felt a bit generic, Scares were on-point, great atmosphere/set design

Saw - Got some GREAT scares in here, however it felt short (of course I guess that's a downside to pretty much any house that goes into Shrek)

ThemeParks4Life likes this.
  16. epicfailapp

epicfailapp Newcomer

Personally my list goes as follows for my first night.
    scarecrow
    dead waters
    fallen
    AHS
    shining
    jigsaw
    blumhouse
    ash vs evil dead
    Hive
    As the event goes on this list may change but based on tonight this is it.

ThemeParks4Life likes this.
  17. k_peek_2000

k_peek_2000 Veteran Member

Having one "good" thing, automatically makes it better than Orlando's.

18. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I know BoH faced a lot of challenges, but i'm more interested in why Universal had such a hard time working with them to get what they wanted? Supposedly it was going to be Insidious at first. Then it turned into BoH and eventually Purge replaced Ouija.

Any house that goes through those types of issues is really put in a bad spot.

19. Tobias

Tobias Member

General Observations, house-wise this year is looking pretty solid. When there's only one house that's being majorily hailed as a dud (Blumhouse), that's a good sign.

I'm looking forward to later this week/next week when scare zones are more ready to go/set up. Obviously they were hampered by Irma, so they definitely wern't at 100% build-wise. But my quick n' dirty observations of what was there are....

Altars of Horror - I'm curious if there's going to be any stages/podiums for it, since admittedly I can understand why they wouldn't. On one hand it does make the zone look pretty dang bare with only the signs, but on the other...there's actual space to move around because there's no big stages filling it up.

Festival of the Deadliest - I really do hope we start seeing some props, floats, something, anything put into the zone. Since for EP it was as bare as one could get in a zone. EDIT: It's been confirmed sets/set designs were seen back stage, so they'll be coming.

Invasion! - Alien-wise there's a nice range of straight-up goofy/campy and more serious/cool looking aliens. Though I didn't see any pictures/videos of human/military characters. I do hope the zone has those types of characters, but my opinion still stands that this should've been in Hollywood or New York.

Trick r' Treat - After seeing the dissapointing wet fart that was Hollywoods Hell o Ween, it's wonderful seeing pictures of this zone as it's giving me the Halloween vibe I wanted. I see the Princaple, I see Sam, I see the School Bus trick or treaters, I see the Werewolf Princesses who'll probably be mistaken as Vampires throughout the whole event. All in all, I'm a happy camper.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  20. TripAway2Day

TripAway2Day Newcomer

Where can I find HHNBear? Can't wait to start dancing with him!