Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Tips

eXo

Aug 16, 2018
Hey there, if this would be better in a different section, please let me know.

I last went to HHN in 2014, and at the time I was fairly active on a different Universal board that no longer exists. Discussing the event with the folks there led to several tips and such that really made our trip better. I haven't really been able to find anything like that elsewhere, so I figured I'd post here.

For example, in 2014 (this may have changed since then?) you were corralled into the a small section of street for about an hour while they set the park up. It was a fairly small space and when we were there it was pretty hot outside. Someone suggested I make reservations at Finnegans, and spend the time enjoying a meal (in the air conditioning). Sure enough, the line to get in was absolutely insane, but due to our reservation we had a great time while feeling bad for all the people stuck sitting out on the curb with no where to go.

I believe I read they now have one haunted house that opens early for people to do while the streets and other sections get setup. Is this correct? Does anyone know if Finnegans, or any of the other restaurants, remain open during this time and allow for reservations?

I'd be interested in whatever tips, tricks, suggestions, hidden things, or anything else that you all would like to share. Thanks!

What you’re thinking of is Stay and Scream, it’s offered in three locations and several houses are offered depending on which location you chose.

Finns and Hello Kitty area open up to the front of the park while Simpsons is for the KidZone and MiB house locations.

You don't really need a reservation for Finnegans--bar area is strictly for walk-ups--but it can get insanely crowded. Fast Food Blvd/Moes in Springfield also should be open, but also can get very crowded. Check back after the event starts, tho, these locations get shifted periodically. By then we'll know which houses are opening early as well.

I'm not sure if things have changed, but in 2014 they were turning people away. They couldn't have fit everyone inside that was wanting to get in. I heard them telling people there was a 90-120 min wait at the time.

We wanted to actually sit down, eat something, etc... But if there are things to actually go and do, then that is good to know as well. I'll keep an eye on things around here as the event kicks off. thanks!

I'm reading that in 2015 they didn't allow reservations between 3-6, and canceled any that were made. Does anyone know if they have continued this policy?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure they have indeed continued that no reservations policy. In the past three years my group has been lucky getting seats at both Finnegans and Duff without any issues. But we have usually showed up a bit before stay and scream technically started, and were just able to stay. Although last year they kicked us out of Duff for a few minutes for the “turn over”.

Thanks for the confirmation. I hadn't considered Duff. I'll def. check that out as an option.

How long do you tend to wait in these areas before they let you into the park? Also, if you were in Finnegans for 4pm would that be enough time before the park closes at 5?

The idea of standing there for a couple of hours and having a few beers is great...standing outside in the heat at Hello Kitty for two hours, not so much.

How long do you tend to wait in these areas before they let you into the park? Also, if you were in Finnegans for 4pm would that be enough time before the park closes at 5?

The idea of standing there for a couple of hours and having a few beers is great...standing outside in the heat at Hello Kitty for two hours, not so much.

You'll generally get released some time after 5:40 but by 6:05. It varies day-to-day with how quickly the park is cleared, but that's the general window.

If you're physically in the park, you can walk up to a holding area at any time and get in, even after 5. The front gates have been known to close a bit earlier tho, say 4:50, at which point you're stuck with an even bigger, hotter crowd outside the gates.

You'll generally get released some time after 5:40 but by 6:05. It varies day-to-day with how quickly the park is cleared, but that's the general window.

Also depends on which stay and scream you are at and what houses are ready. Kitty and Finns trade off on being the first/second while Simpsons is nearly always the last to release.

Also depends on which stay and scream you are at and what houses are ready. Kitty and Finns trade off on being the first/second while Simpsons is nearly always the last to release.

why the difference in release times? are the houses and scare areas longer to set up around Springfield?

Hi!

I'm going to be going for one night (Sunday, October 28th) with my sister. First time going in a few years to the Orlando park for HHN, so just out of curiosity...if we buy Express (can't believe it's $99) and get to the park around 7 or 7:30, should we be able to get all of the houses done before close?

Hi!

I'm going to be going for one night (Sunday, October 28th) with my sister. First time going in a few years to the Orlando park for HHN, so just out of curiosity...if we buy Express (can't believe it's $99) and get to the park around 7 or 7:30, should we be able to get all of the houses done before close?
Yes, you should be able to, we don't start using express until dark and can get all the houses in and some bonus ones as well.

Hi!

You should be fine, just expect the park to be busy.

Since most people have Saturday and Sunday off, those nights seem to be when people do the parks by day and utilize Stay and Scream to hit HHN that night so there are a lot of holdover guests. Sunday is an even bigger offender as it is available on most HHN Frequent Fear Passes while Saturday is not.

If you plan on one run through each house, just keep an eye on wait times and plan your night accordingly. Technically, express only guarantees that you will wait equal to or less than half the posted wait time so you could still end up waiting a while on those longer queues (even with express I waited 75 minutes on “Insidious” a few years ago)

You should still be fine, just plan ahead a bit and be aware that it will be busy

You should be fine, just expect the park to be busy.

Since most people have Saturday and Sunday off, those nights seem to be when people do the parks by day and utilize Stay and Scream to hit HHN that night so there are a lot of holdover guests. Sunday is an even bigger offender as it is available on most HHN Frequent Fear Passes while Saturday is not.

If you plan on one run through each house, just keep an eye on wait times and plan your night accordingly. Technically, express only guarantees that you will wait equal to or less than half the posted wait time so you could still end up waiting a while on those longer queues (even with express I waited 75 minutes on “Insidious” a few years ago)

You should still be fine, just plan ahead a bit and be aware that it will be busy
By then you should know which houses will have the longest waits and that should help with the game plan

are the hours posted yet for HHN on the different nights? t i have read that weekdays tend to have a sooner closing time then weekends and fridays.

Thanks! 2am close time when i plan to attended which is great. Although that probably means its expected to be a bit more busy.