Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29 Construction Thread

100%. While I am not a fan of his films, I LOVE the imagery in his music videos.

I understand completely.

I have mixed feelings toward every one of his films, which I believe I have now seen all of after watching 31 a few days ago. I like the premises of all of them, especially Lords of Salem (basically Hocus Pocus+Rosemary's Baby+The Shining+ an older 80s movie called Trick or Treat) but the dialogue usually kills it for me. I don't believe he writers "normal" people very well. Psychotic characters, they I think he does well enough when he is making them creepy but things get goofy imo as it goes on (they also tend to get more brutal, I'm thinking Devil's Rejects) and the plot can sideswipe into subjects that end up having very little to do with the rest of the film.

Visually, he is a fantastic director. My only complaint there is I don't care for the way the editing can be very choppy when he is using tight or mid-shots and that can be a bit disorienting (that is my biggest complaint about 31, and the pointless dialogue near the beginning, I wanted more carnage but it is actually one of the less gruesome Zombie movies)

but the dialogue usually kills it for me. I don't believe he writers "normal" people very well. Psychotic characters, they I think he does well enough when he is making them creepy but things get goofy imo as it goes on (they also tend to get more brutal, I'm thinking Devil's Rejects) and the plot can sideswipe into subjects that end up having very little to do with the rest of the film.
I love Rob Zombie but I think while writing a movie, he writes all of his characters like he's writing himself in the movie. They're either, a guy with long hair, an idiot douche, psycho, or a person on depression and loves rock n roll. He can't even get lauri strode right!

31 was okay but had so much shaky cam it made me dizzy. 31 had some interesting aspects, and the final killer was pretty great. But Why do directors ruin their movies with quick cuts and shaky cam, i dont understand.
( the last resident evil movie by Paul WS Anderson was really really ruined by shaky cam/quick cuts as well)

The only zombie movie i really hated was halloween 2.

With Zombie he admits when he works on the script, it never comes out he wants it on film, he constantly changes the backstories, characters and yada yada yada, he mentions it in the 31 Doc and in the Devil's Rejects doc as well that everything sticks to the script and just on the go and he rewrites the day of directing the scenes or not, Lords Of Salem I think is one of my favorites in which he had said that movie he wanted to make his goal of doing every thing opposite instead making something gory, he would go the other route with the film and make it an entirely different atmosphere which the concept of Salem was pretty interesting and would love to see if he'd give it a sequel and see where he would go with, the same way he went with Devil's Rejects after House. As of the Halloween films he never had control on those films, The Weinstein's Company did, their direct words to him were basically "make it a rob zombie film" in which they wanted blood, gore, whereas Zombie was trying to make it a cohesive story in a way but never was made into that, especially since a lot of scenes, a lot of scenes were cut from both films which make them very confusing.

With Zombie he admits when he works on the script, it never comes out he wants it on film, he constantly changes the backstories, characters and yada yada yada, he mentions it in the 31 Doc and in the Devil's Rejects doc as well that everything sticks to the script and just on the go and he rewrites the day of directing the scenes or not, Lords Of Salem I think is one of my favorites in which he had said that movie he wanted to make his goal of doing every thing opposite instead making something gory, he would go the other route with the film and make it an entirely different atmosphere which the concept of Salem was pretty interesting and would love to see if he'd give it a sequel and see where he would go with, the same way he went with Devil's Rejects after House. As of the Halloween films he never had control on those films, The Weinstein's Company did, their direct words to him were basically "make it a rob zombie film" in which they wanted blood, gore, whereas Zombie was trying to make it a cohesive story in a way but never was made into that, especially since a lot of scenes, a lot of scenes were cut from both films which make them very confusing.

Why is 31 so shaky ? Has he ever acknowledge?

And i did love lords of salem until the ridiculous ending that made no sense and had nothing to do with anything.
Even if it was a hallucination or a dream sequence by the girl in a trance for me it ruined everything else
Has he explained why it ended the way it did?

Why is 31 so shaky ? Has he ever acknowledge?

And i did love lords of salem until the ridiculous ending that made no sense and had nothing to do with anything.
Even if it was a hallucination or a dream sequence by the girl in a trance for me it ruined everything else
Has he explained why it ended the way it did?

He explains that a bit in the 31 doc, I mean he likes that sorta filming, I mean he did in the Halloween remake, it's a cool effect but after awhile, it does get tiring, it's better than a straight shooting shot, I mean the scene in US when the main character fights her doppleganger underground, the way that scene was filmed, I'd sorta would have liked that in 31 if I was to edit you know, as for Lords Of Salem, you'd have to listen to his commentary while watching the movie, he explains certain things that was going during filming and what certain scenes mean, he had explained there was scenes cut from the film that would have explain the plot, if you waited in the credits, there's a part where it sounds like a news radio talks about what happened to theater, but it's best to hear rob explain it I guess.

He explains that a bit in the 31 doc, I mean he likes that sorta filming, I mean he did in the Halloween remake, it's a cool effect but after awhile, it does get tiring, it's better than a straight shooting shot, I mean the scene in US when the main character fights her doppleganger underground, the way that scene was filmed, I'd sorta would have liked that in 31 if I was to edit you know, as for Lords Of Salem, you'd have to listen to his commentary while watching the movie, he explains certain things that was going during filming and what certain scenes mean, he had explained there was scenes cut from the film that would have explain the plot, if you waited in the credits, there's a part where it sounds like a news radio talks about what happened to theater, but it's best to hear rob explain it I guess.

Yeah i know the after credits in lords.
I just wish the dream sequence scene would have been a lityle better.

Yeah i know the after credits in lords.
I just wish the dream sequence scene would have been a lityle better.

Budget and timing reasons, I think Rob has said it best in interviews now and then that back then when he made House, he was given so much money, House of 1000 Corpses didn't have an ending, Rob never thought of one because it was his first film and never knew how to really end it, the studio thought he ran out of money and offered more to make an ending but never happen which is why the ending of House is with The End? but eventually recovered with Devil's Rejects, as for Salem it was sorta low budget and everything behind the scenes were sorta consuming and a lot of rewrites and a lot of editing, the usual stuff with some horror movies nowadays. There were even extended scenes and scenes moved around in the film, so its sorta out of sequence a bit as well again due to editing from the higher ups.