Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Depths of Fear

After seeing Mike Aiello's tweet about the house, they definitely had taken inspiration from Leviathan, Deep Star Six, Lords of The Deep, I do hope we see somewhat a cameo of the Sculders from The Spawning, although the house was not received very well, I could see them reusing the appliances for some of the creatures, it'd be really cool.

This actually makes me bring up something I've been thinking about.

Am I the only one who may be thinking the Mouthbrooders are something along the line of the tiny plants from SoX?

What we've heard about this house seems to tell of a lot of infected crewmembers, an Interstellar Terror vibe. Mouthbrooders to be, based on the real life look, I imagine a lot of tiny eggs and creatures within people. People are thinking these kinda bigger aliens, meanwhile I'm imagining these tiny creatures that are more Facehugger than full Xenomorph.

This actually makes me bring up something I've been thinking about.

Am I the only one who may be thinking the Mouthbrooders are something along the line of the tiny plants from SoX?

What we've heard about this house seems to tell of a lot of infected crewmembers, an Interstellar Terror vibe. Mouthbrooders to be, based on the real life look, I imagine a lot of tiny eggs and creatures within people. People are thinking these kinda bigger aliens, meanwhile I'm imagining these tiny creatures that are more Facehugger than full Xenomorph.

You could be onto something here, this house and Seeds could have a little bit of that connection, I hope they give us a little sneak peek in the promotional booklet they sent out like last year and we had gotten to see one of the Plant creatures concept art and mask, I cannot wait to see the look of these things. Also though, I hope if they start small and continuously grow, like the Xenomorph, starting as a small chestburster and then growing into the big alien, I feel like we might see these things start out as these small terrifying things and on our way to trying to exit we run into a bigger version of them, basically having Alien and Aliens in mind with the Queen Xenomorph, there is gonna be a larger threat that's causing these things you know.

Should be a nifty little house, the concept and everything is pretty cool, just wish we had gotten a teaser video of what what those creatures look like, hopefully we'll see sneak peaks of em in the next UO magazine like they did last time with the creatures from Seeds.

Should be a nifty little house, the concept and everything is pretty cool, just wish we had gotten a teaser video of what what those creatures look like, hopefully we'll see sneak peaks of em in the next UO magazine like they did last time with the creatures from Seeds.

Seems like the scareactors will mainly be infected crew members. I'm gonna guess this house won't be the best received just because of the expectation of sea creatures vs. that reality, but I have zero problem with that as long as it creates a true sense of panic like IT did.

Seems like the scareactors will mainly be infected crew members. I'm gonna guess this house won't be the best received just because of the expectation of sea creatures vs. that reality, but I have zero problem with that as long as it creates a true sense of panic like IT did.
Hope it doesn't end up like Orlando's Krampus, where the the minimal amount of scares from the big baddie made people disregard what was an excellent house.

Thing is, this doesn’t sound like it has a “big baddie.” Which again, I’m perfectly ok with.

The thing with Krampus was that especially with how Hollywood ended up executing the property, the expectations were obviously as they are with any Orlando / Hollywood comparisons that we could beat that, "that" being what was a very good interpretation as part of what may have very well been Hollywood's best year.

And in the end, it was just a completely different interpretation of the Krampus character worked on both sides. Hollywood made him in the vein of almost a traditional slasher, popping up in numerous spots like a Freddy or Jason type. Orlando I think did it more in the vein of the movie, fewer appearances, more hidden. Which...is the less interesting maze (though I loved Krampus, but I loved that movie so yeah I'll claim bias there on myself).

My Krampus rant aside, this I don't think will have the issue as there's nothing to compare to here really. Comparing this to Knott's The Depths seems to make sense...but in the end kinda doesn't. Now, I'm pretty sure InTe had some disappointment surrounding its' premise...that from what I can tell it mostly overcame that over time. I think Depths sounds freakier off the bat.

The thing with Krampus was that especially with how Hollywood ended up executing the property, the expectations were obviously as they are with any Orlando / Hollywood comparisons that we could beat that, "that" being what was a very good interpretation as part of what may have very well been Hollywood's best year.

And in the end, it was just a completely different interpretation of the Krampus character worked on both sides. Hollywood made him in the vein of almost a traditional slasher, popping up in numerous spots like a Freddy or Jason type. Orlando I think did it more in the vein of the movie, fewer appearances, more hidden. Which...is the less interesting maze (though I loved Krampus, but I loved that movie so yeah I'll claim bias there on myself).

My Krampus rant aside, this I don't think will have the issue as there's nothing to compare to here really. Comparing this to Knott's The Depths seems to make sense...but in the end kinda doesn't. Now, I'm pretty sure InTe had some disappointment surrounding its' premise...that from what I can tell it mostly overcame that over time. I think Depths sounds freakier off the bat.

I was a huge fan of IT for three reasons:

#1--I have a fear of flying--to me, a plane crash would be one of the most terrifying ways to go. Anytime I see a plane crash sequence in a movie, it makes me squirm (FD). While not quite the same thing, it is in the same category, specifically an aviation disaster--you have nowhere to go, you are far away from civilization, it is chaos, alarms blaring, which creates a true sense of panic...

#2--...which fits perfectly for a conga line. The self destruct part of the story made you want to move as fast as possible, but the conga line makes that a bit harder to do. I just love fact that they were able to find a concept that works better WITH a conga line than with pulsing.

#3--The "monster" was the sets/effects (and some very cool ones at that), not the scareactors, which was very unique for a haunted house, though I feel like this is why it wasn't very well received.

As for Krampus, the best part was that it smelled wonderful--like the Christmas stores at Port of Entry and Disney Springs. I'm a sucker for cold effects too. Some of the elves had some creepy looking masks as well. Didn't really recognize house facades in the snow globes though. Thought it was an ok maze. The movie felt very restrained--there's SO MUCH more you can do with Christmas horror. Trick 'r Treat did it way better.

Last edited:

Glad to help you vent on a maze, my comparison from Krampus comes from the fact that we expect plenty of Mouthbrooders/Krampus but might end with a majority of infected workers/elves with some extra characters to zest up the house, like baby brooders/haunted toys. While we know that this house will go in the vein of Creatures! or Intergalactic Terror, but most of the General Public expect to see the brooders all the way in the maze.

I believe Spawning had a waterfall effect, but maybe I'm confusing that with Maximum Carnage

Either way, I love me a good water effect

Spawning had a bit behind chain link fences with the "eggs" and a spigot of water that would release bouts of water every few seconds. Saws n Steam had the honest to god waterfall with the scuba diver character.

Interstellar Terror was a fun maze, but like Creatures!, it suffered from misplaced expectations. Whenever you have a "spaceship where stuff goes wrong," people expect to see aliens, not a more cerebral Lovecraftian artifact wreaking mental havoc. (And then, of course, Creatures! lost its actual Creatures and became the hillbilly hell maze no one wanted but nevertheless sort of enjoyed if they knew people in the maze.)

Spawning had a bit behind chain link fences with the "eggs" and a spigot of water that would release bouts of water every few seconds. Saws n Steam had the honest to god waterfall with the scuba diver character.

Interstellar Terror was a fun maze, but like Creatures!, it suffered from misplaced expectations. Whenever you have a "spaceship where stuff goes wrong," people expect to see aliens, not a more cerebral Lovecraftian artifact wreaking mental havoc. (And then, of course, Creatures! lost its actual Creatures and became the hillbilly hell maze no one wanted but nevertheless sort of enjoyed if they knew people in the maze.)
I thought Interstellar Terror was an interesting take on a concept, I think people missed what it was really about, and I'm not sure how well that translates into a house

Creatures was fun, but they've done better

Just watched Leviathan for the first time. Supposedly the house is inspired by the film.

Really enjoyed it. Recommended if you haven't seen it. Some gruesome body horror scenes.

Also, Ernie Hudson is delightful.

Most hyped for this one out of all the originals.

Last edited:
Just watched Leviathan for the first time. Supposedly the house is inspired by the film.

Really enjoyed it. Recommended if you haven't seen it. Some gruesome body horror scenes.

Also, Ernie Hudson is delightful.

Most hyped for this one out of all the originals.
Yeah the three films that inspired this house were all from 1989, Leviathan, Deep Star Six and Lords Of The Deep, I haven't watch any of em yet but I've seen the trailers and they seem like really interesting movies, they're sorta hyping me up to see what the house will bring from these influences.