Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Ghostbusters

It’s cool that they filmed the trailer of the house at the same spot were the show used to be. If only they have the Ghostbusters house close to Race Through New York as a tribute to it’s original location.

I dont understand why people would complain about how because the movie was not scary then the house wont be scary either,

The story is about ghosts, demons and ghouls, just because the first movie was a comedy and just because it didnt feature too many ghosts it doesnt mean the house is bad.
Specially if all 3 movie ghosts will be used.

Poltergeist featured even less creatures in that movie and yet the house was very scary.

Given what Legacy said earlier too, that
Uncle Sam stilt actor
is gonna scare the crap out of me. I feel like the variety of ghosts from the franchise as a whole will help this house out a lot, as using only ghosts from the original would work but get a bit repetitive. As long as the Gatekeeper is in this house I’ll be happy

I dont understand why people would complain about how because the movie was not scary then the house wont be scary either,

I don't get it either, but some people have a very specific/narrow view of what's going to work for a house. I guarantee that if you announced certain fan-favorite houses from year's past today, the very same people would whine that it's not scary.

My thing is Universal has been doing comedy houses for years...It's suddenly an issue when Ghostbusters is attached

I think you need to add a little something to that post, Shiekra38. It's Universal Orlando that has been doing horror comedy houses for years. Hollywood on the other hand...

An this brings up my point, I've noticed on the Orlando twitter side of things, the reception for Ghostbusters has been very positive. People are really excited for this! You may have a few "It's not scary" folks, but they're drowned out by those who're all for it. However for Hollywood twitter side, it's chock full of the "It's not scary" folks. An I can understand why due to the simple fact...HW really doesn't do horror comedy houses at all. So the crowd there really doesn't know they can be great. Not only that, the last three horror comedy houses Hollywood has done are...

Ash vs Evil Dead (2017) - Not good, especially with the massive black hallways of nothingness.
Krampus (2016) - This one was well done! Though admittedly there wasn't much of a comedy aspect displayed in the house, in fact it was played up for more horror than anything else.
This is the End 3D (2015) - ...ummmm….nuff said.

So a not so good one, another one that's still mind-boggling that they actually did it, and the actual good one really didn't have much comedy in the house itself. So not only HW really doesn't do horror comedy houses, they don't have the best of track records whenever they do one. Hopefully that'll change this year, but I can see why it's getting the reception that it's getting in HW.

But as for Orlando, anyone whining about it ain't got nothing to stand on.

This is the Uncle Sam we're talking about right?

Uncle-Sam-Ghost-ghostbusters-2016-39878801-900-416.jpg

Also, now that Hollywood has also wink-wink-nudge-nudge'd at ghosts from other parts of the franchise appearing, do we know if it's just the Uncle Sam stilt actor or if there's gonna be other ghosts? Maybe Vigo, the fur coat or the Scoleri brothers from part 2, or the Lady Aldridge from the new one.

I don't get it either, but some people have a very specific/narrow view of what's going to work for a house. I guarantee that if you announced certain fan-favorite houses from year's past today, the very same people would whine that it's not scary.

I think you need to add a little something to that post, Shiekra38. It's Universal Orlando that has been doing horror comedy houses for years. Hollywood on the other hand...

An this brings up my point, I've noticed on the Orlando twitter side of things, the reception for Ghostbusters has been very positive. People are really excited for this! You may have a few "It's not scary" folks, but they're drowned out by those who're all for it. However for Hollywood twitter side, it's chock full of the "It's not scary" folks. An I can understand why due to the simple fact...HW really doesn't do horror comedy houses at all. So the crowd there really doesn't know they can be great. Not only that, the last three horror comedy houses Hollywood has done are...

Ash vs Evil Dead (2017) - Not good, especially with the massive black hallways of nothingness.
Krampus (2016) - This one was well done! Though admittedly there wasn't much of a comedy aspect displayed in the house, in fact it was played up for more horror than anything else.
This is the End 3D (2015) - ...ummmm….nuff said.

So a not so good one, another one that's still mind-boggling that they actually did it, and the actual good one really didn't have much comedy in the house itself. So not only HW really doesn't do horror comedy houses, they don't have the best of track records whenever they do one. Hopefully that'll change this year, but I can see why it's getting the reception that it's getting in HW.

But as for Orlando, anyone whining about it ain't got nothing to stand on.
Much like our discussions in DL vs WDW....It would appear as if HHN Orlando and Hollywood are very different events and audiences from what I'm gathering from your post.

I look at everything through the lens of HHN Orlando since I've never been to HHN Hollywood

My thing is Universal has been doing comedy houses for years...It's suddenly an issue when Ghostbusters is attached
Yes....Plus....Hell, I've never once been scared and/or frightened by any horror house that I went through. Usually I just laugh at the stuff. Some people are more easily scared, startled, frightened than others. Some others , like me, are just entertained. Fear is greatly overrated.

I feel like house will be promising, the way Murdy had spoken about theirs is that it's going to be like Ash vs. Evil Dead but I feel like ours will be different from that or maybe not , I honestly can't wait for to see Slimer and Stay Puft, give us the same treatment as what Poltergeist was but also like AVED, it would be cool that route.

So I was talking to someone about this and I think it is fair and important to note this is a comedy with horror elements, like Shaun of the Dead, not a horror film with comedy elements. It's primarily physical and joke based comedy. People asking how that would be developed into a haunted house on the level of HHN is a good question to ask but kinda boring. We have tons of examples of that, like Poltergeist.

I think a lot of Brian/myselfs/others dismissing of the question is not because it's a bad one or worthy of discussing, it's because the goal of the question isn't to discuss the adaptation but instead of insinuate Horror Nights is becoming family friendly or gatekeeping the fandom. That isn't cool and should be shut down since it's not approaching either question honestly or faithfully.

That is another way of looking at it as well, the house will definitely utilize some really cool effects, I can't wait to see what they do with the librarian, hopefully use a peppers ghost and then a scareactor pops out as the other form.