Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood 2019 Construction Thread

Construction update taken today! Couldn’t get ST or much of Metro though.

I actually didn’t have my phone out when the stage fOR ST happened to be open.

Ghostbusters lookin good!
0D64333B-F73A-4AE0-853C-F2C7EF088824.jpeg

Us
E9C231C0-09D1-4520-AAD0-9D1163655286.jpeg

What I could get of Creepshow:
9E9DDDB3-7F90-4F3D-9A38-5A1B3F82F316.jpeg

Pandora’s Box:
0C93A61E-E52A-4D05-902B-C5DB5C6884DA.jpeg

Can’t really see it well, but behind those bushes are two thrones. Maybe that’s where Hades will sit at?
4EFF1997-B07E-4B22-9361-CE83A8CCC694.jpeg

Klowns:
BF0BF38D-F58F-4350-8CA1-D1D7CF2388C9.jpeg

And finally Corpses. Didn’t bother with Holidayz as nothing has changed
B61F4BB5-E738-40D9-A814-7CB61D529629.jpeg

Based on these pictures and what other people have said, my theory is that “Pandora’s Box” is the name of the antique store, and it actually might be sort of Needful Things-esque, at least at the beginning. I imagine that it will be similar to the basement from Cabin in the Woods, where the “antiques” are linked to some dark fate.

Construction update taken today! Couldn’t get ST or much of Metro though.

I actually didn’t have my phone out when the stage fOR ST happened to be open.

Ghostbusters lookin good!
View attachment 10638

Us
View attachment 10639

What I could get of Creepshow:
View attachment 10640

Pandora’s Box:
View attachment 10641

Can’t really see it well, but behind those bushes are two thrones. Maybe that’s where Hades will sit at?
View attachment 10642

Klowns:
View attachment 10643

And finally Corpses. Didn’t bother with Holidayz as nothing has changed
View attachment 10644

Can’t wait to see all this mazes at hhn Hollywood

Last edited:
I have a feeling, what with the size of the Water World queue, and most likely other mazes eating up large portions of the budget, this year's facade is gonna be pretty scaled down, at least compared to 2010/2011's. Maybe the scares will make up for that, as facades can sometimes trick people, with past mazes having really detailed ones, yet mediocre maze execution and vice versa.

I have a feeling, what with the size of the Water World queue, and most likely other mazes eating up large portions of the budget, this year's facade is gonna be pretty scaled down, at least compared to 2010/2011's. Maybe the scares will make up for that, as facades can sometimes trick people, with past mazes having really detailed ones, yet mediocre maze execution and vice versa.

I have noticed alot of scaling back on the facades compared to last year (Ghostbusters being the obvious exception). Last year we had incredibly detailed house facades with windows and decals; Poltergeist, Trick R Treat, Halloween 4, and The First Purge all had incredibly detailed facades that probably cost a pretty penny. UCM's castle facade couldn't have been cheap, either.

Now, alot of the facades are just painted walls: House of 1000 Corpses, Holidayz, Creepshow, arguably Us (though I'm sure there'll be some string lights on the outer edge). Other facades are just easy to prop up Tents, like Killer Klownz and FMTW. It probably helps keep costs low, e.g. on top of buying windows for the Poltergeist facade, you need two types of light for each window, garage doors, outdoor lights, lampposts, foliage, roof tiling, fake grass, wooden fences, etc. Meanwhile, First Purge needed chainlink fences, some corpses, a lot of fake trash (you gotta glue those puppies down), lights and fog machines, tons of fake windows and fake doorways, etc. Compare that to Creepshow or Holidayz, which just need a projection, a blank wall and some paint. It's thrifty, which I think is kinda neat.

Still, I'd love to see the classic Hollywood facades make a comeback next year, as they were one of my favorite parts of each maze. It definitely gave you something to look at while you were waiting two hours to enter a maze, lol.

Unpopular opinion: If the scaling-down quality of this year's facades results in more details within the maze (e.g. better looking sets, less blackout rooms, etc..) then I honestly don't mind.

I don't disagree. I honestly think they did it out of necessity this year, considering the fact they were adding two mazes, tram or no tram. Creepshow could've been Joe Hill's house, FMTW could've been the castle ruins, and House of 1000 Corpses probably would've been much more detailed, but they weren't. I don't particularly mind, though I do hope that Horror Nights doesn't completely stop doing those sorts of facades either.

I don't disagree. I honestly think they did it out of necessity this year, considering the fact they were adding two mazes, tram or no tram. Creepshow could've been Joe Hill's house, FMTW could've been the castle ruins, and House of 1000 Corpses probably would've been much more detailed, but they weren't. I don't particularly mind, though I do hope that Horror Nights doesn't completely stop doing those sorts of facades either.

With the pretty stellar maze lineup this year, that's definitely gonna attract more guests, as well as alcohol sales, I'm hoping this year will result in an even bigger budget for 2020. Plus the experience of this year with having "10" (really 9) mazes will hopefully prepare them for how to allocate the budget in future years. Especially since I doubt that we're getting Stranger Things next year which, I won't be surprised, is taking a huge chunk of this year's budget.

I may be the only one to say this, but..the façade for corpses is growing on me, ngl I wish the skull mouth was bigger but hell I'm just glad t0 see a new take on the façade.