Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017

^I'm actually going to Orlando's HHN for my first time this weekend! While I'm a veteran of ours, never been to theirs. Very anxious to see how it compares. Doing the RIP tour to make sure we don't miss anything. Although it's costing us a fortune, haha

And I just saw they have a daytime/behind the scenes tour as well. I'm really, really surprised they don't do that here. No matter what anyone may think of Murdy, you can't argue his dedication to detail, and if it weren't for going to some of his ScareLA/Midsummer presentations, I would've missed a lot of very cool details. (My favorite: Hollywood Harry's vest was full of past tram tour guide name tags though the years, implying he'd killed them and taken their tag as a badge of pride/memento.) It really needs to be appreciated on a greater scale.

So jealous! I'm expecting a full comparison/review :)

Funny that you mention vomiting, the Evil Dead line got held up a bit because someone was throwing up in front of the entrance when I went.

I remember in 2013 when they did Evil Dead, some girl ahead of our group kept holding her stomach, only to run out towards the end with the bloody forest and just hurl against the wall outside the maze. Not too thrilled with the alcohol possibly increasing that factor, especially next year.

Not related to Horror Nights but it sounds like Happy Death Day might actually be a hit; which would break the streak of preview houses going on to bomb at theaters excluding Dracula Untold(The Thing, Wolfman, Crimson Peak all bombed)

...excluding Dracula Untold(The Thing, Wolfman, Crimson Peak all bombed)
Pretty sure Dracula bombed too. Didn't start the initial monster universe Universal was trying to start. Then The Mummy failed also, and that actually made even more money than Dracula.

Pretty sure Dracula bombed too. Didn't start the initial monster universe Universal was trying to start. Then The Mummy failed also, and that actually made even more money than Dracula.

Huh. Wikipedia’s budget vs box office made it sound like it did ok, which I was surprised by(but Dracula bombing makes more sense to me). I don’t know why the preview houses have had such a bad streak box office why

FINALLY got to go to the event last weekend, so here are my thoughts on it:

First off, the RIP experience: Loved it. The food was GREAT and I ate so much that I could hardly walk afterwards (paying $300 for a buffet, I'm gonna eat as much as I can). My group stayed with our guide the whole time and in retrospect I wish we hadn't. Our guide was great, but by the time that we were done with our tour around 10:30 after TOTT, we were tired enough that I didn't get to do everything as many times as I initially wanted because we followed the group. Didn't even find it in me to catch the Jabbawockeez show, and I've actually enjoyed it in previous years.

Onto the mazes: AHS and The Shining were my favorites. People on here were saying that The Chens from Roanoke weren't in the maze, but they definitely were. There's a scene right after the basement where the two daughters are contorted in the walls. Overall, I really liked the maze. I loved the season of the show more than any other, and the maze captured it really well. It was also just overall scarier than last year's. Shining was beautiful and I had a lot of fun in it. I also actually liked Ash a lot. Everyone here has been bashing it non-stop, band yes the black walls were overabundant, but I think I got lucky and got just about every scare. It also follows the show more closely than people here let on, but it's still missing a lot of things shown in the trailer.

Saw was as disappointing as everyone here says, but the traps are still kinda fun to look at, especially since I never did any of the previous Saw mazes. Terror Tram was nothing special, but we got lucky and the crowds weren't bad, so we walked right through a lot of it without stopping. Blumhouse would've been great if the Happy Death Day section didn't drag it down so much. There's just nothing interesting happening in that section of the maze at all, and its finale with all the killers was so cramped and there were so few of them that it wasn't nearly as effective as the trick in previous years. Purge was fun and Sinister worked really well.

ToT was fun, but I didn't love it as much as everyone else. It just kind of felt like worse versions of what we got from FvJ and TCM last year. I didn't love it.

The scare zones I liked a lot (well, Toxic Tunnel tried), and their costumes were all really great.

Overall, definitely not as good as last year's, but not nearly as horrible as I've heard, but that could come with me coming later in the season. I did notice that TWDA did have some additional walkers in it than the regular version, and I know those weren't present the first weekend. I still liked it more than Knott's this year, and I'm a big fan of Knott';s, but I still got far more scares out of HHN.

Last edited:

I know there's a thing called opinions, but Shining below TWDA and Blumhouse as number one is just silly lol

its finale with all the killers was so cramped and there were so few of them that it wasn't nearly as effective as the trick in previous years.
Oh, that sounds new, can't wait to see how that plays instead of the original ending. I'm assuming it's not a well designed part of the maze because it originally was just the Big Daddy purger gunning people down and they swapped it for that. Unless it's always been there and I didn't see it in my run-through or in the videos.

I know there's a thing called opinions, but Shining below TWDA and Blumhouse as number one is just silly lol

Oh, that sounds new, can't wait to see how that plays instead of the original ending. I'm assuming it's not a well designed part of the maze because it originally was just the Big Daddy purger gunning people down and they swapped it for that. Unless it's always been there and I didn't see it in my run-through or in the videos.
I could see how someone would enjoy Blumhouse a lot and not enjoy Shining...Shining is the "timing" house of the year, go in at the wrong time and you're screwed

He was talking about the finale of the Happy Death Day section, not the whole maze

Call me delusional but The Purge... kinda works well as a maze. Yes I know I said a few months back that I want that IP gone but if they ever took the chance to turn it into a maze in the past, it'd be pretty good.