HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2016 | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2016

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'll be honest... I'm not hyped. Im super nervous about going Saturday and not getting any scares in at all, I really hope that isn't the case, but nothing really overwhelming has come out of tonight :(

I'm going with low expectations Saturday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there isn't the fanbase Orlando has over here, and they always post stuff. There's just no one there to tell us if anythings good. Only thing I'm thinking won't be that good is Exorcist

Reactions: chris.g
To be completely honest, I was never expecting to be scared by The Exorcist maze. While I think the movie is cinematic gold and a great piece of film history, it doesn't really scare me. From the moment Murdy said he was doing it, I just assumed I would think it's something cool to experience but not necessarily going to frighten me. So I can't say I'm disappointed in it. It turned out exactly how I thought it would. 

Just came back from employee preview night! would have to say my personal top three favorite mazes for me this year were

AHS, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Blood Brothers, and The Excorcist

These mazes all had the energy and just did it for me although I have to admit there was a pinch of disappointment for the Exorcist. Although it was still on the 3 favorites for the night, the scares felt almost repetitive. even though they were effective I would of preferred to see a little more of Regan. Was just waiting to walk in a room where the priest is getting possessed an lounges out at you but nothing :(  hopefully it improves for the actual event. Going back in a few weeks to see it once again, might end up liking another maze more once its all polished up and with all its scare actors in place because "Halloween: Hell comes to Haddonfield" Almost made it to my top 3!  but noticed some scares where missing

I saw a few questions on our Twitter account asking about electronic wait boards. Universal is using iPads embedded inside the maze markers to display wait times.

Reactions: Ryan and William
Hearing whispers that the Exorcist is somewhat polarizing. Fans of the movie might love it, though I'm curious how the general public feels.

^THIS

The Exorcist is my favorite horror film.  I had the biggest smile from beginning to end.  When it was done, I turned around to my group to say how amazing it was and none of the other 7 people in my group liked it.  

Has he told any of you guys what he thinks of the houses

HEREEEE WE GOOOOO!

Remember this was an employee preview, things are likely to change/get better over time. Take everything I say with a grain of salt. Keep in mind that I was not able to make it to American Horror Story or Walking Dead. So I can't say anything about those. Also it's late and I'm going to try to type this fast, so it's probably not perfect.

DON'T READ MY POST if you want to be completely 100% surprised. I'm going to try to stay away from a lot of specifics, but I will be generalizing about certain mazes. 

Exorcist: Lets just get the bad out of the way. Exorcist was my least favorite maze tonight. You go through Regans room multiple times, each time things change a little. The rooms with Regan are pretty good, but I didn't actually feel like that much was happening in them with the one exception being the version with the bed shaking everywhere, door slamming open and shut, and pictures on the wall moving. Whenever you're not in Regan's room, you're in a black hallway which always has some kind of demon jump out at you with a strobe light. Murdy mentioned they were inspired by the banned trailer, and you can really see that. Sadly, that's the real problem with the maze, it's just VERY repetitive.  If you're not in Regan's room, you're in a black hallway... It's just... kinda meh. Hate to say it.

Krampus: Fantastic maze with amazing costumes. The set pieces are wonderful, the living room scenes feel fully fleshed out. At times you almost feel like you're walking through a real house. So much of this maze is ripped straight from the movie and that is a good thing. The kitchen scene with the gingerbread men seems to be one of those rooms that you will still find new details in on your 3rd and 4th walkthroughs. Great atmosphere overall. 

Freddy Vs. Jason: Another great maze. I did it in Orlando last year and this blew that out of the water. There seemed to be tons of scare actors in this maze, and it was great to see so many nods to the classic movies these characters are from. Many instances of Jason and Freddy fighting each other from different sides of the room with you right in the middle. Great effect that was similar to last year's insidious maze where you think you're looking at a wall but the wall fades away and you're left looking at Freddy's nightmarish boiler room while he and Jason continue to fight on. Saw the ending where Jason won. Anyone expecting this to be a main selling point of the maze will be a little disappointed... the ending is contained in one very small section. 

Halloween: I know a lot of people loved last years Halloween, but it was one of my least favorite mazes. I'm happy to say that this year's edition blows last year's out of the water. SO MANY of the kills from Halloween 2 made it into this maze. I remember watching Halloween 2 and wondering if they would include the hot tub scene at HHN. To my surprise, they did it... and it's perfect. You really feel like you're walking through the movie with this one. Close to the end of the maze you go into more abstract sections with lots of glowing pumpkin heads placed on the walls. Of course some of the pumpkins are actually scare actors in black suits, it's literally impossible to figure out which ones actors and which ones are just hung on the wall. Very surreal effect that works well. Great job on the house overall.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Another fantastic house that greatly benefits from actually seeing the movies. Letherface's whollllllle family made it out for this one, and the scare actors are great. The father was right at the start of the maze and he was actually saying things to our group. Most of the dialog is playing off a loop, but this guy could say what he wanted. You walk through the BBQ restaurant, the slaughter house, Leatherface's room, and more. It felt very long but in a good way. My favorite scene had to be the one with Grandpa and Chop Top. If you've seen the movies you'll understand when I say "HIT HER GRANDPA!". There is even a moment from TCM2 where you get to see Leatherface's softer side as he tries to give you a leather mask of your own. So Creeeeeeepy! ugggggh!  This is another house for the history books.

Terror Tram: This year's route is a little shorter than last year's. They bypass the dirt road on the hill altogether this time. There are however more choke points than last year where they box you in with shipping containers. On the ride over, they show the Hollywood Harry video that was released a couple of weeks ago it really helps set the stage. There were basically clowns everywhere. Which I actually kinda like. My favorite group were the clowns dressed up like firemen.They do a better job this year of actually scaring people because of the closer quarters. 

The Purge mega scare zone: This was an interesting concept. The flow is actually very similar to how the terror tram operates... main difference being you don't need to hop on a tram. It's like a typical indoor maze on a lager scale. There is only one entrance and one exit. First area had lots of cages with dead folks inside, broken down cars, and wooden palates. Second area is a church looking area with military type guys popping out of the shadows. Third area opens up and lets you sorta choose the direction you'd like to go, lots of chainsaw dudes and stilt walkers over here.  One thing I really like this year is the costumes. They are weird and wacky. Chainsaw men with teddy bears for heads, republicans and democrats with their respective animals for heads, and of course statue of liberty stilt walkers. It's goofy and I like it. Overall a very interesting way to get people to explore that section of the upper lot that was missing last year. This was way better than exterminatorz or corpz. 

I'm tired, going to probably try to sleep, but if you have more questions leave them here and I'll try to get back to them.  Overall, this years event blew me away. So much better than last year. I'm guessing people are going to love it. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6XuB8DJ0AI8?feature=oembed

Only one thing I want to know: does Hollywood's FvJ still have that uber cheesy "BACK OFF, JASON!" screen scene from Orlando's?  :lol:

Also: at the least Exorcist facade is very impressive and the AHS facade is... I don't even know how to describe it. Is that even a facade?

Ok so here is a bit of a rundown of what people thought of Employee Preview Night and the houses, scare zone, Terror Tram, and show. So that we may get a better idea of what the mazes reviews will be like.

Mazes:

"The Exorcist" - Been hearing from half of the people it was good and the other half that it was ok. Very Split.

"Halloween Hell Comes To Haddonfield" - Very good and detailed. Hearing that it is better than last year's 2015 "Halloween" House.

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Blood Brothers" - Hearing that it is a very long and Bizzare maze. And hearing that it was very great! Also that it was better than 2012's Version.

"Krampus" - Very detailed and Great from others. Also that it scarier than expected.

"American Horror Story" - Hearing that it is the longest house of the event this year (it also looks like it). And hearing that it was fantastic! (Aside from the facade)

"Freddy Vs Jason" - Hearing a lot of "Freddy Vs Jason was my favorite maze!". Not too many details on the inside but heard it was fantastic as well!

"The Walking Dead" - Nothing

Terror Tram:

"Eli Roth Presents Terror Tram" - Been hearing that it has been shorter than previous years. And that it was actually... Good. Hearing a lot of positive about it.

Show:

"Jabbawockeez" - Been hearing it was good and was more horror themed than last year. Thank you Murdy.

Scare Zone: 

"The Purge Election Year" - Hearing and seeing that it was great! With a lot of Scare Actors and is very bright.

Overall: Seems a great year for us! With a lot of positive for pretty everything (Except for "The Exorcist"). "Halloween Horror Nights" Hollywood 2016 Starts Friday! Very curious to hear what the public thinks and what I think on Saturday.

Reactions: Allia
I was lucky enough to attend employee preview night (with a FOTL pass) so I got to do a few of the mazes multiple times. Here's a rundown of my first impressions. Will try to keep it light on spoilers.

The event in general: This is a much more ambitious year, not only in scares but from a production standpoint. A lot of the mazes have decently sized set pieces in them that we really do not see in Hollywood. Granted, they're not as big as Orlando but it's a pretty big step up from where we were at the past few years. I think the event in general will meet a lot of people's (I'm sure high) expectations.

Some thoughts on the attractions:

The Walking Dead: It's not drastically different but it's better. The lighting is darker, the audio is a bit louder, and there are some new scaring spots around the attraction. The cool part is some of the scares are utilized in areas that I didn't think could be used. Such as some of the doors in the prison hallway. It's nothing crazy, but it's definetly scarier. 

The Exorcist: Like Tyler, I think this was the weakest maze of the night. It wasn't terrible by any means, it just simply was not working. The maze was experiencing huge technical difficulties all night and many triggers, lighting, and audio were not working how they were supposed to. The room scenes are really cool but I don't really like how Murdy integrated the "banned trailer" into the maze. It came off more as a space-saving measure. As a fan of the film I really enjoyed what I saw but I can definetly see how this will divide fans. Ambitious idea in the wrong venue.

Halloween: I enjoyed last year's maze but I felt it was placed in an absolutely terrible venue. Maze layout was awkward and felt bare in some parts. Not the case for this year. The sets are fantastic and there is a lot of visual eye candy for fans. I also really love the placement for some of the scares. The ending is awesome, definetly not what I expected though. Great take on the film and better than the 2009 and 2015 mazes by far. 

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The 2007 maze is the scariest maze I have ever been through. The 2012 maze is one of the worst mazes I've ever been through. To say this franchise hasn't been polarizing at HHN is an understatement. I went through this maze twice. At the beggining of the event and at the end. this year's iteration is pretty fantastic. The sets are great and scares are really well placed. The scent canons were not turned on for employee preview but oh man is that maze going to smell awful going off of the set pieces alone. It's a great "sequel" and I'm sure fans will enjoy going through certain locations not seen in the films. I must note: absolutely do not go inside this maze when the sun is still out, there is no giant black tent to cover all the light pollution. 

Krampus: Best. Façade. Ever. Seriously the façade is one killer first impression. The maze is really fun and includes some really large set pieces, like Tyler mentioned, many of the characters look like they were ripped straight out of the film. Krampus is incredibly imposing and is featured a lot more than I thought he would be. There are also some pretty cool scare setups in this maze. Really fun experience that I think fans will enjoy. 

American Horror Story: Worst. Façade. Ever. Don't be fooled though, this is probably one of the most beautiful mazes Murdy and Chris have ever done. This maze probably has the best sets in my opinion. The Freak Show segment is a tad short but the set design is incredible. I didn't find this to be as scary as the other mazes but I'm sure it will improve over time. We went through right after a cast change so I think that had something to do with it. Great maze that fans of the show will love. I'd love to see what they could do with Coven and Asylum.

Freddy vs. Jason: Easily the strongest house of the night. This maze is very Freddy Kruger heavy (which I personally like) and has some really cool effects that many fans will be familiar with from previous mazes, Insidious 2015, NOES 2008, and La Llorona to name a few. This is a really intense maze and has a ton of scares throughout. Like... it has to be some kind of record. Fantastic set and audio design throughout. I usually never comment on audio tracks for mazes but there is some spectacular audio mixing in here. I think most fans will gravitate towards this maze the most. Extremely intense cast and fantastic set design. 

Terror Tram: It's a huge improvement and feels more like the older Terror Tram versions from 2006-2009. The changed layout is a nice change of pace with the backwoods area completely gone and both the Bates Motel and War of the Worlds have way more theming than ever before. They definetly sell the atmosphere well, making it feel like you're walking through a make-shift carnival set up in the Universal Backlot. I definetly would not miss this when attending. 

Purge gauntlet/scarezone: it was cool and all the wacky costumes really make it a fun area to be in. Some of the best veteran scareactors are in here. The Purge Gauntlet is like a miniature Terror Tram and I honestly would consider it to be another attraction. The layout in Plaza is a bit awkward and many people were a bit confused on where exactly to enter from and what exactly it was in general. Aside from that it's a really cool idea that I can definetly see improving over the years. I do want to note, they were still missing some key props that will be in the gauntlet so I'm excited to see it in its finished form on Friday. This will be a fun thing to check out with friends when all the wait-times become unbearable. 

Those are my thoughts in general. Again, this was employee preview and not the final product. There are still many things that need to get done but even in a semi-unfinished state, Halloween Horror Nights 2016 really lives up to the hype and sets a high new bar for Hollywood. I'm excited to hear other forum member's thoughts on this year's event. Can't wait for Friday!