Hill Valley? | Inside Universal Forums

Hill Valley?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 5, 2013
Stamford, CT
I know this has been kicked around before on the boards, but was wondering if the higher ups have ever discussed?

You would think building a Hill Valley, part 1955 and part 2015, would be right up universals alley. Obviously, tons of opportunities for rides and they can make a very immersive environment, rather easily.

I know this has been kicked around before on the boards, but was wondering if the higher ups have ever discussed?

You would think building a Hill Valley, part 1955 and part 2015, would be right up universals alley. Obviously, tons of opportunities for rides and they can make a very immersive environment, rather easily.

As much as I love Back To The Future, it's not a particularly relevant franchise right now (and most importantly, not one that would move lots of merchandise). Unless there are new movies made, I don't see Universal making a new ride, let alone a new land based on it.

Nope, not gonna happen. Though I'd welcome a BTTF launch coaster like Blue Fire (up to 88 mph)! I just don't see a new BTTF ride coming, let alone a whole Hill Valley land.

I guess the merchandise would be the issue...I was thinking along the lines of immersion and how impressive that land could look.

Makes you wonder though, if it's about merchandise sales, how long will Potter sales last? There won't be any more movies (I believe, don't really follow the franchise)...I'm sure this will be successful for 10+ years, but at some point you would think it would become stagnant

I guess the merchandise would be the issue...I was thinking along the lines of immersion and how impressive that land could look.

Makes you wonder though, if it's about merchandise sales, how long will Potter sales last? There won't be any more movies (I believe, don't really follow the franchise)...I'm sure this will be successful for 10+ years, but at some point you would think it would become stagnant

Hope im getting this right, but there is a new movie coming out. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's a book from the books, and you can actually buy it as well.

Hope im getting this right, but there is a new movie coming out. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's a book from the books, and you can actually buy it as well.

But the book is a spin-off, which won't fit into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It takes place before Harry was even born.

Listen, you can argue all you want about the staying power of a franchise - they do become stale at a certain point. But Harry Potter is kind of like a modern classic. The fans are still clamoring to get to the FIRST section of the WWoHP.
Not the Back to the Future isn't a classic - but it didn't influence an entire generation (and a very large portion of that generation is a super-fan base) the way HP did. And the biggest factor is, as Briman pointed out, what kind of merch would be super popular at a Back to the Future attraction? Unless we make actual hoverboards - which would be beyond amazing - I can't see any big ticket items. It's possible for a ride to be built in the future - a full scale land is pretty far out though. Not impossible - but far, faaar out... (And this is coming from a kid who really loves Back to the Future)

If they did this, I would literally move to Orlando.
Agreed. ...imagine a 50 style diner where you get smacked in the head by Biff while sitting at the counter, haha

Also, it would be cool if they had a "flying cars" ride that went over the top of the land and people on the street below can look up at those on the ride. ..ah the possibilities

Tell that to Star Wars…37 years old and still selling strong! It was still a solid property in the 16 years between Ep. 6 and Ep.1, as well as the past 9 years between Ep. 3 and Ep. 7. Sure, there's new movies coming to the Star Wars universe, but there weren't for nearly 3 decades and they still sold merchandise like mad. The right franchise will ALWAYS sell merchandise…long after it's been "retired" from further film production.

I do love the idea of Hill Valley coming to Universal, with a "Time Machine" launch coaster like was originally envisioned. I could swear I read somewhere that Uni is looking into rebooting the BttF franchise in the future. If they pull it off and it's well-done and well-received, I could totally see Hill Valley coming to Universal!

Last edited:
Ive always contended that you could make Mel's Diner into Cafe 80's

12166379866_92770921bd_b.jpg

Not happening. If Universal was interested in keeping Back to the Future around they would've just refurbed the ride instead of spending a ton of money to re-do the entire building and make a new ride film for the Simpsons.

The biggest thing I see with BTTF franchise is that you can make an amazing land with it...that is half the battle when it comes to the New Universal. ..problem is, the other half of the formula is merchandise sales and with that, BTTF probably won't cut it long term

I am in for BttF stuff. I would love to see a whole area, but a restaurant would be neat (Cafe 80s awesomeness maybe). Are you guys thinking in a park or out in CW?

I am in for BttF stuff. I would love to see a whole area, but a restaurant would be neat (Cafe 80s awesomeness maybe). Are you guys thinking in a park or out in CW?

Well, we were mostly considering the epicness that would result from Mel's Drive-in being converted into the Cafe 80's, though I would take a new restaurant in CityWalk, too (though I couldn't see it happening outside of USF) :smiley: