Hong Kong Disneyland $1.4 Billion Overhaul | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Hong Kong Disneyland $1.4 Billion Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A beautiful settiomg for a park. Unfortunately, hardly anyone goes there, and it's future is tenuous due to the Hong Kong political situation that has effectively killed
international tourism and international business travel to Hong Kong. Sad situation.

Looks like it will be a beautiful area for the park.
It's too bad so few people go to this park. It truly is a beautiful park that they've filled out nicely with the expansions. Hopefully once the Avengers ride happens for DCA it happens here too because they shut down and demolished HKDL's autopia in preparation for a ride that still hasn't even started construction. They closed Autopia in 2016.

It's too bad so few people go to this park. It truly is a beautiful park that they've filled out nicely with the expansions. Hopefully once the Avengers ride happens for DCA it happens here too because they shut down and demolished HKDL's autopia in preparation for a ride that still hasn't even started construction. They closed Autopia in 2016.
I can't see this park ever succeeding due to it's unique political situation....It's a shame since it may well have the best sightlines of any major theme park. Unfortunately, it didn't even do
well when the political situation was better.

I can't see this park ever succeeding due to it's unique political situation....It's a shame since it may well have the best sightlines of any major theme park. Unfortunately, it didn't even do
well when the political situation was better.
It did okay, but was didn’t really make much money if any. Now it’s just losing money.

Hong Kong Disneyland Reveals First Photo of ‘Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs’ Coaster​

This area in HKDL should be really nice. I imagine the coaster will be similar to SDMT. Hopefully I can get out to this park someday. I plan to do an Asian park vacation in the future, but have to save up and plan out time for it and work on timing with friends, too.

Reactions: belloq87
Now that it is being built in HK, it can be cloned in the US parks.

quote-first-rule-in-government-spending-why-build-one-when-you-can-have-two-at-twice-the-price-carl-sagan-140-42-07.jpg

Reactions: MrBlonde
To this day I don't understand why Disney went cheap with arguably their most popular princess and shoved it into an Epcot pavilion versus a full land.
They wanted it FAST (which they really don't know how to do anymore).

It is absolutely mind boggling how less than four years after Disneyland opened they designed and built the Matterhorn, Submarines, and Monorail, yet now it's a 10 year process to clone an existing attraction...

img373.jpg

To this day I don't understand why Disney went cheap with arguably their most popular princess and shoved it into an Epcot pavilion versus a full land.
I don't believe Disney knew what they had, Frozen went through development hell and was pretty much thrown out there once it could be considered done from what I can recall. I remember Disney Infinity back in the day only had standalone Anna and Elsa figures with no actual Frozen world to play and explore in, they had a few Power Up discs that amounted to a texture for the skybox, floor, and a music track all based on concept art, not the movie. The Disc's themselves also featured Anna concept art on them, not the official renders that every other character had. They were given less content than The Lone Ranger and was on par with "heavy hitters" like Tron. Vertical Integration was rushed and slapdash.

images

Hence, when the parks found out they had armies of 6 years olds lining the gates to meet Anna, Olaf, and Elsa, they were probably a bit blindsided by it all. Hence why the only Frozen stuff at Disney Parks was temporary or lower tier attractions, or just in marketing for a while. It's why they threw Elsa into her own Princess M&G room as soon as they could find the space, why Olaf was on the marketing for Marathons, Summer Events, and the 24 Hour Events, and why the only Frozen attraction for a bit was the Sing Along. It's all they had the time and resources to do.

So you're WDW, and you need a Frozen ride, and a surrounding land complete with a gift shop and other sub-attractions. And you need all of it right now. Building one from scratch would be ideal, but costly and time consuming. But you do have a low capacity, low attendance, thematically inconsistent boat ride in a Norway land complete with museums, gift shops, and food pre-baked in. And Epcot could probably handle the foot traffic that a Frozen ride would be bring in a way that Hollywood couldn't pre-Toy/Star. That's why we never got Elsa's Castle, and why Disney's biggest success of the 2010's is seemingly relegated to get a Maelstrom clone til the end of time. :dizzy: