Horror Movies Thread | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As someone who watched all of the Saw films this year leading up to Saw X.... I'M SO HYPED!!!!! I love this franchise so much :love:

give me hoffman.... i demand hoffman

I literally just wrapped up an entire franchise re-watch of Saw in order to refresh before I saw... Saw X.

And man do those middle films drag and drag and dragggggg. I've always considered them guilty pleasures but they truly are time capsules of an alternate universe where everyone is an absolute idiot filled with hair trigger violent tendencies and a complete lack of human corporation and the franchise just jumps the shark so many times.

I actually enjoyed Spiral more than the average fan because it really was a throwback to the style of the original first films in the franchise with its more procedural approach. By X I was so beyond over the idea of a multi-person group going through a series of traps together. I'm baffled as to why they decided that needed to be the framwork for a gigantic middle chunk of the films as if it was written in stone.

X was a real revelation by the time you got to it because Tobin just always kills it as John Kramer and as funny as it sounds (and as bad as that wig is), it's somehow a treat to see his apprentices show back up even though they've never been THAT revered in the overall zeitgeist.

jumping the shark how

jumping the shark how

The amount of really unnecessary, hooky, straight up out of the blue twists that come funneling in every movie is so absurd I'm kind of amazed in not a single one did they think 'Hey, maybe NOT having a twist should be the twist!". The first twist is iconic, the twist in Saw V is probably my favorite moment of the entire franchise and a lot of them are head slapping moments for me.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95

Comedy Bang Bang Wow GIF by IFC

• Haha
Reactions: belloq87
I actually don't even think Believer was a particularly good possession movie either. Though I feel that subgenre has been beyond played out at this point.

Every film since the original Exorcist just seems to pull its punches in a way that the first didn't. Only the twist at the end of the recent one felt inspired in any way.

The few possession movies I liked since the first Exorcist managed to actually inhabit other genres instead of being blatant clones. That could be police procedurals(Exorcist III), courtroom dramas(Exorcism of Emily Rose) or found footage(The Last Exorcist).

I actually think Believer got nastier than a lot of possession films do the abortion blood, the "choice" at the end, so I have some respect for it. That having been said, yeah it needed those rumored reshoots.

Someone like Cregger, Phillippou or Rose Glass would be wonderful.

Reactions: Clive and belloq87
I actually think Believer got nastier than a lot of possession films do the abortion blood, the "choice" at the end, so I have some respect for it. That having been said, yeah it needed those rumored reshoots.
The main problem I think with Believer was the amount of stuff they cut out of the movie. The theatrical version of this film feels so messy and bare bones... You can just tell without even knowing anything about the production that they removed a lot of story elements and character development. I'm hoping at some point they will release a directors cut of Believer just like they did with the original

The few possession movies I liked since the first Exorcist managed to actually inhabit other genres instead of being blatant clones. That could be police procedurals(Exorcist III), courtroom dramas(Exorcism of Emily Rose) or found footage(The Last Exorcist).
I'm still on the very small team of "Exorcist III is better than The Exorcist"