Horror Movies Thread | Page 56 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Trailer for the Blumhouse Speak No Evil remake

Hmm.

On one hand I do love James McAvoy, otoh, the original was one of the most disturbing cautionary tales for people pleaser’s and I just…don’t know how that will translate to something that’s seemingly made more for a wider release.

Reactions: saint.piss
So a "Scary Movie" reboot!

Anna Faris/Regina Hall both need to be involved, and I REALLY hope the Wayans Brothers are back.

Saw Abigail recently, and it was a gory good time at the theater! Imagine if you mixed together Return of the Living Dead, The Ransom of Red Chief, Dracula’s Daughter, and the atmosphere of a Hammer horror film. The intoxicating mixture would result in Abigail. The cast are all superb. Dan Stevens is fantastic, Melissa Barrera is better than she was in Scream 5 and 6, and Alisha Weir puts on a career making performance as Abigail. Abigail is easily a new horror icon. The mansion the film is set in is gorgeous and cool as well. With The Invisible Man, Abigail, and the upcoming The Wolf Man, I’d say Universal’s modern re-invention of their classic monsters is finally hitting all the right notes.

4.5 STARS

Looks like Abigail couldn’t even achieve its modest $12-$15 million opening weekend projections…

It only made $10.2…
Word of mouth could also help this movie. Elemental last year wasn't doing so great at the box office but a lot of people liked it (I didn't but I digress) and the box office for that movie improved quite a lot.

Word of mouth could also help this movie. Elemental last year wasn't doing so great at the box office but a lot of people liked it (I didn't but I digress) and the box office for that movie improved quite a lot.

Elemental had a much larger market available, so that’s not really an apples to apples comparison. Word of mouth may give it some legs, and it will likely recoup, but its competition this weekend was incredibly weak.

Reactions: imagin78
LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL

There’s not quite enough here to really justify the 90+ minute feature length, but it so nails the aesthetic it’s aiming for that it’s constantly entertaining, even during the sections that feel more narratively padded-out (as a side effect of sticking to the structure of a late night talk show broadcast). Riffing on stuff like GHOSTWATCH and WNUF HALLOWEEN SPECIAL, the “period television broadcast” details are effectively -- and affectionately -- reproduced, and it’s a treat to see longtime character/supporting actor David Dastmalchian headline and anchor a genre piece like this. His enthusiasm for the material is evident, and he propels things nicely.

Now, I do think this works better as a stylistic exercise than it does as something genuinely unnerving (which is to say, I didn’t find much in here to be, personally, all that eerie), but I think there should be room to enjoy stuff like that in the horror genre. And it does have a lot of “October Spooktacular” flavor running through it that should make it a solid go-to for seasonal viewing.

Reactions: jseal777