How Do Queueless Systems Work? | Inside Universal Forums

How Do Queueless Systems Work?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 28, 2013
If someone smarter than me can please help me understand, I'd appreciate it.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about TapuTapu, FastPass, and UO's new in-app return time ticket system.

The one thing all of these systems have in common is that, for the most part, you can only "virtually" be in one line at a time (i.e. you have to use your FastPass ticket before you can get another one [unless a certain amount of time has passed]).

Well, WHY? Why can't I go from attraction to attraction with UO's new in-app system, and get return times througout the day (as long as they don't overlap)? That would be a killer app.

More succinctly, why can't I "virtually" be in line for more than one ride at a time?

If the "system" doesn't care if I'm in a shop or a restaurant while I'm "virtually" waiting in line, why can't I also be experiencing another attraction?

My head hurts. Help.

Capacity. If people would be able to wait in multiple lines then you would cut down on how many people the park can have in it. Queueing in multiple lines virtually would be from a ride ops stanpoint of having a multiple of the amount of actual guests and would cause the rides to fill up on their days capacity very early. Imagine it like FP but once they are gone there is no standby line to use. Fastpass isn't a virtual queue, its a virtual priority queue that just sucks off capacity from the rides for the few that get the FP, which is why it is limited to 3 plus one at a time after.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Capacity. If people would be able to wait in multiple lines then you would cut down on how many people the park can have in it.

So basically, the inherent flaw of theme parks is that, on an average attendance day, everyone would never be able to experience every ride -- even if a computer pre-assigned every group return times to every ride to maximize efficiency. Interesting.

So basically, the inherent flaw of theme parks is that, on an average attendance day, everyone would never be able to experience every ride -- even if a computer pre-assigned every group return times to every ride to maximize efficiency. Interesting.
If Frozen ran for 12 hours a day, 4 million people can ride it in a year. So 33% of its 12 million annual visitors. Sure on any given day with the right plan you can do every ride at Universal Orlando if you wanted to. But for every person that is taking advantage of the system there is always someone getting screwed. Their business model works on having a lot of people attend multiple days, not having fewer people attend less days.

The most popular attractions only see like 50-60% of a daily park total. Most guests self-select out, but things like Soarin were under that number so it increased capacity. Same for Toy Story Mania.

70% is a normal day for popular people eaters. This is Spaceship Earth and Pirates of the Caribbean.

90% is reserved for iconic attractions with good placement on the right day and ample capacity with a dedicated staff. This is Spaceship Earth on a good day and rarely any other attraction.

Small World has massive capacity but thats probably because it was designed for the NY World's Fair. Talk about capacity nightmares. The total for 12 months was 52 million people. So they had to move massive amounts of people very quickly.

I believe I've read that Disney, through it's surveys, deems eight or nine attractions a day as sufficient to satisfy guest expectations. That would guarantee multiple visit days at a park like MK or Disneyland that has a plethora of attractions.

I believe I've read that Disney, through it's surveys, deems eight or nine attractions a day as sufficient to satisfy guest expectations. That would guarantee multiple visit days at a park like MK or Disneyland that has a plethora of attractions.
If I remember correctly the old ticket books came with between 8 and 12 adventures. So definitely they didn't think people would see everything.

I think a full queue-less system would actually make me not want to go to a park. I can do 20-30 rides/shows in a day if I want to at slower times. I don't want a level playing field. Then you have the people who would be confused by the system or at a technological disadvantage. Everyone knows how to stand in a line. Passholders already moan about fastpass plus and how it rewards resort guests.

Apart from that, parks would have to be built from the ground up for it like volcano bay, which is also going to be expensive in part because of this, although that is a reservation at a time not full queue-less. I'm not even sure that I won't be bored at volcano bay because of the inability to stay busy enough unless it has slow enough days.

The main reason why we will never see full queue-less is because it puts responsibility on the park for what you can get done. The parks can blame the customer for going on a crowded day or not planning well enough in the current system. Universal can say it isn't there fault you didn't see much because you didn't purchase an express pass. Also they do not want guests to realize when they cheap out on a low capacity attraction (7 Dwarfs mine train). It would be a PR nightmare for parks with guests. I would bet that the average guest would actually rather pay less and take their chances than pay double for guaranteed rides.

Reactions: Mad Dog

So then how do they explain DHS and DAK? :lol:

If you go by the attraction list on the DHS website, DHS currently has 12 "rides and attractions"

Now, how the "Star Wars Photo Opportunities" are a ride or attraction in the same vein as Toy Story Mania, I'd love to know.

If you go by the attraction list on the DHS website, DHS currently has 12 "rides and attractions"

Now, how the "Star Wars Photo Opportunities" are a ride or attraction in the same vein as Toy Story Mania, I'd love to know.
They probably have Star Wars Cupcake Party listed as an attraction also. Disney gets pretty far fetched on some of that stuff, like Meet & Greets. :lol:

Reactions: GadgetGuru
I was just thinking about this during lunch.. it came up because I ordered Chipotle online and went to pick it up at the time I specified. I walked in, saw a big line but new I just had to walk to the register and pick up my bag. Reminded me a lot of what a queueless system could be like if implemented partially; you can either wait in the line, or come back at a specified time. People still choose to wait in line at Chipotle, but other people (like me) order online and choose a pick up time.