How long will The Simpsons Ride last? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

How long will The Simpsons Ride last?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How long will the Simpsons Ride last?

• Total voters
Why in the world would they demolish that building? They've pretty much added a cavalcade of extra decorations, and etc. It'll pretty much be a landmark when The Simpsons ends. I doubt they'd ever demolish this building.
I could see them gutting the building, but not demolishing it. That would be an abundance of equity down the drain.

If Disney filled the 20K lagoon, Universal could knock this building down.

Nightshade, it would be easier and much more beneficial for Universal to tear down the building and construct something new in its place that they want rather than squeezing another simulator attraction int that same tech that in ten years or so will be almost 30 years old.

Look to Horizons for a decent comparison. Sure they could of gutted Horizons and put in Mission space's pods, preshows and queue areas. But it would restrict their way of doing it and cost a lot to structually make sure it is safe. It becomes much easier just to rip a building even of that size out.

The BTTF building is not that large for anything other than what was put in there. The shape of the building you can tell was made for that system. It is three floors. One main gathering room on each level and a hallway of briefing rooms. The bulk of the building are levels with hydrolic platforms installed into the building. to rise and hang over ledge to face the large metal mesh Omnimax screens.

It is not like Jimmy Neutron's building where it is a large soundstage with a flat surface and rectangle shape that could have those hydrolic platforms taken out, leveled and basically put any show or exprience that could fit in there.

With Simpsons unless you were going to repattern just another simulator system, you would have to gut the building to put anything decent in. That building was designed around the system. That building essentially is the system. You gut it and you still have three levels leading into a large omnimax screen.

They would be better off demolishing the building years from now when it is time to progress and build something original and not restricting to their needs there.

Last edited:
It would probably be best to start all over with this area. I'm sure by the time it's ready to be replaced (let's say 10 years), simulators and the technology aren't going be that "exciting". No matter what the property is.

I'm sure Universal knows it because their engineers HAD to consider it, but that building gets shaken a lot by the ride hydraulics which reduces the life cycle moreso than a regular show building. You can feel it while waiting in line.

I wonder how they compensate for that shaking in the building design. In fact, I would love to hear any interesting facts about the ride.

They could always put The Fast and the Furious in like they had considered at one time. That franchise has legs and generic car chases can bring in people.

It is hilarious to think that The Fast and The Furious could have more Staying Power than The Simpsons.

you really have to think about it and realize that it would be a dumb idea in the first place. The only reason people ever thought Fast and the Furious was because the old simulator cars were designed as Delorean shells, and really, there is nothing exciting to a motion simulator about a car race. Turn left, turn right...a few back and forth motions maybe a ramp or flip at best. Incredibly lame and limited for a motion sim.

The only way I can see FatF becoming a reality is if they did something like Sum of All Thrills at Epcot. Something along the lines of designing the way your car looks, what tech it'll have then riding it in a simulator and see if you're car was the fastest amongst the groups.

I think 10 to 12 years if Universal doesn't have another smash hit they want to make a ride out of it (witch I think Universal will have more in the near future).

I'm going with a safe 5-10 years. As a fan of the show, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to give this ride a chance and wasn't disappointed. Still, as things come and go it's very possible this could become dated very quickly.

I would say 5-10 years.
I honestly loved BTTF. It is such a classic, and overall, great storyline. I like the simpsons, but i feel that its going to get old once Harry Potter comes around.

But then again, you could say the same thing for Shrek and Jimmy Neutron. Theses rides have been there for 7 years. It will be interesting to see the future of theses rides also. Change would be nice.

I don't know if this has been brought up before but, why UNI didn't update BTTF like how Disney is updating Star Tours to Star Tours 2? UPDATE IT! Make BTTF in 3D, new show sequences, new ride video! I wish they thought of that before they decided to replace it!!!! Call it Back to the Future: The Ride!... The Lost Adventure!

I agree minus maybe the lost adventure subtitle. Theme parks should be more about plussing, not the quick fix. Back to the Future is a huge part of the Universal Legacy and even stood alone as a great ride. Updates would be kept it a superior simulator.

I think that Universal decided to bring in the Simpsons because it had a much better lasting appeal in the long run. After watching The Simpsons 20th anniversary special I really saw how global The Simpsons are and how long they can last on fan base alone. Back to the Future was a classic but giving the ride a new franchise and making the ride smoother was a great idea.

I voted 5-10.

I rode it once before I moved to Florida and it was enough for me to NEVER want to ride it again. Is it just me or is the motion not in-sync with the screen? I'm not a big fan of simulators because they all make me feel sick.. The Simpsons is just one of those simulators I can't tolerate. If it lasts more than 10, then I pity Universal for not replacing it sooner.

I actually hate the ride. I find it so lame compared tot eh tv show in which I love. I agee with gannonsmovieworld that they should of just updated Back to the future. I find that one in two people find the simpsons stupid and not funny. Also they destroyed the feeling of it being the simpsons by making the characters in 3D instead of the regular 2D. I kinda makes me want to go to Japan to ride it there. Even though Japan is in the last theme park apart form china i would go to a theme park in, because of the huge lines.

I see Simpsons having its run, just like every other ride at Universal. It has its haters, but has its cheers too... It's a simple simulator, it fits the present, and it is appealing to the millions of Simpsons fans.

I loved BTTF, but unfortunately, BTTF is outdated. Universal is about riding the movies... the current movies. If they updated it, what would they update it with? BTTF 3? A film from 1990? 20 years ago?

I loved BTTF, and was sad to see it go, but I rode the Simpsons this weekend for the first time and thought it was still great.

The main reason I loved this ride is because of the OMNIMAX screen. These things are getting rarer and rarer, with new IMAX screens that are not nearly as large as they once were. While the content of the ride film could be better, I think that the feeling of actual motion is more convincing on this ride than it is on any other. And this is coming from someone who ended up riding on the very outside of the screen all three times.