How to Train Your Dragon – Isle of Berk (Epic Universe) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

How to Train Your Dragon – Isle of Berk (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It'll play well, even for those unfamiliar with the movie. The set theme is very universal, and generally very successful. Think Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Viking movies , etc. It's a winning theme, especially with the male side of the equation. The male answer to Disney Princesses. ...The girls will like it too. because it's going to be lots of FUN and FANTASY..
My daughter would take great offense to the comments that this will be a male centric land lol
It’s always interesting to me how “boy centric” franchises have far more potential for cross gender appeal than “girl centric” franchises.

Edit: like you said plenty of girls will find enjoyment in this land, but you’d be hard pressed to find boys having fun in Barbie or Hello Kitty land even though money wise those franchises dwarf Dragons.
You honestly would be shocked how many males liked the Barbie movie and how many boys play with Barbie. It honestly is more equal than you think but it isn't out there since many men don't like to be portrayed as liking those things. My son having so many toys from big sisters plays with barbies and the play kitchen a decent amount and loved the Barbie movie. My husband was the one who decided to take my girls to the movie, not me. I didn't even go (I think I was sick). My husband loved the movie. We later again saw it on our cruise as a family and my son liked it too.

It’s always interesting to me how “boy centric” franchises have far more potential for cross gender appeal than “girl centric” franchises.

Edit: like you said plenty of girls will find enjoyment in this land, but you’d be hard pressed to find boys having fun in Barbie or Hello Kitty land even though money wise those franchises dwarf Dragons.
I agree... though I've always thought it would be a great idea to have a Universal version of the Great Movie Ride, but with Hello Kitty / Sanrio characters, similar to the cancelled The Great Muppet Movie Ride. They could have Hello Kitty recreating famous scenes from Jaws, Kong, Frankenstein, etc... it would be both cute and include classic movie references and enough adult material that everyone could enjoy it.

Anywho, I'm excited for the Isle of Berk, if for no other reason than the dragons and Vikings atmosphere.

I wonder if the concept art may hint at (the rumored) flying dragon-drones?

Dragons.JPG

Last edited:
My daughter would take great offense to the comments that this will be a male centric land lol

You honestly would be shocked how many males liked the Barbie movie and how many boys play with Barbie. It honestly is more equal than you think but it isn't out there since many men don't like to be portrayed as liking those things. My son having so many toys from big sisters plays with barbies and the play kitchen a decent amount and loved the Barbie movie. My husband was the one who decided to take my girls to the movie, not me. I didn't even go (I think I was sick). My husband loved the movie. We later again saw it on our cruise as a family and my son liked it too.
I understand as I’m a male who enjoys the Disney Princess movies though I think that’s because the movies themselves aren’t as girl centric as the Disney Princess merch line that’s made for them. I haven’t seen the Barbie movie but as I understand it Ken is a huge highlight so there’s your wide appeal. Maybe things are changing but from my perspective with the kids in my family what I said before is what holds true.

Reactions: mccgavin
Gender politics and the way they relate to media and marketing is certainly interesting, but this probably isn't the best place to have that discussion. Let's keep this focused on Isle of Berk.
Dang, and I was just getting ready to eventually post a picture of me and my little cousin (a girl) wearing our Mando helmets to help my point :lmao:

But you’re the boss ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nico
One thing not made clear in any piece of concept art or the fly-through is how they plan on hiding the tall theater building in HTTYD. Interested what their plan is for that.

Anyway... my thoughts on this land has always been that while HTTYD is clearly popular, it hasn't broken through to the point where everyone has at least some familiarity with it, and because of this it would be a mistake to make a land in one of the existing parks where it would be the center of marketing. But because How To Train Your Dragon land won't have to sell tickets on it's own as they are marketing a whole new park with bigger names it works since Vikings + Dragons is an aesthetic everyone will understand and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I dunno how it'll be on the ground, but in Universal Beijing, you only see one side of the Building, being the big Grauman's Chinese Theatre facade, but from how we've seen Dragons on overhead views and concept art, it looks like you'll be able to see the Buildings from multiple sides, so I'm curious how they'll change that

I think this land will be an absolute stunner visually, and everyone I've talked to about the Sky Fly flats get incredibly pumped to ride them, myself included. HTTYD has a great world and aesthetic that allows the team to build locations that are appealing whether you know the franchise or not.

This is meant to have an "Untrainable"-style theatre show, correct?

Just keep in mind things will look much different when berms and plantings are installed (soon), and from the ground things may look much different than we think they will from aerials. There's a lot more elevation change in the park than you can see from above and that will make it all look very different.

Reactions: Nico and belloq87
If you asked me which land I were to enter first upon entering the park, I am torn between Super Nintendo World (because DK, something Hollywood will sadly never get) and Isle of Berk. CanNOT wait to see what the isle of dragons has in store for us!

Reactions: Nico
Showed my dragon crazed daughter the video tonight and some construction pictures. She had already known it was HTTYD in the land she researched that on her own without me saying anything as I never told my kids a new park was coming. But she was impressed and can't wait to see more about HTTYD and then her next comment was "I wonder what merchandise they will have". She is a saver, but I see her blowing a lot of money in this land.

And not only that--but production is underway on a live action take of the story too; even including people from the DWA project on.

The IP has legs--and I wonder if down the road, we see a simulator pop up here based on the new film.
A FOP style Dragons ride would have a lot of potential. Maybe that what's slated for HTTYD's expansion pad.

So while we know the show will feature spectacular Dragon puppets, it made me wonder if they'd use a costumed Toothless for meet-n-greets similar to Blue/Raptor Encounter

(Hollywood 2019 to promote Dragons 3)
View attachment 20561
View attachment 20562
View attachment 20563
Thoughts???
Oh hey, I met that Toothless at that exact event! :D

I imagine it'll be more like a standard meet n' greet at a stable spot dedicated to him, and I've heard speculation that Hiccup and Astrid would join the character roster.

Oh hey, I met that Toothless at that exact event! :D

I imagine it'll be more like a standard meet n' greet at a stable spot dedicated to him, and I've heard speculation that Hiccup and Astrid would join the character roster.
Of course they got to have Hiccup and Astrid. But I am curious as to what the costume design will be. Maybe they will give them outfits exclusive to this land or maybe they will pull somewhat from the live action film.