How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Inside Universal Forums

How to Train Your Dragon 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 17, 2009
From Comingsoon.net:
DreamWorks Animation announced today as part of its First Quarter financial results that a sequel to How to Train Your Dragon will hit theaters in 2013.

"2010 is off to a strong start, thanks in large part to the performance of 'How to Train Your Dragon,' which – having grossed nearly $375 million to date in worldwide box office – has become DreamWorks Animation's next franchise. We plan to release the sequel theatrically in 2013," said Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of DreamWorks Animation. "3D continues to have a tremendous impact on the industry at large and we are now looking forward with great anticipation to bringing 'Shrek Forever After,' the final chapter in our beloved 'Shrek' series and the first in 3D, to audiences across the globe next month."

I am not surprised. The thing is a pretty big success. It is actually going to wind up being Dremworks' biggest success outside of the Shrek Franchise.

DreamWorks Animation seems to be double-dipping on this "announcement", since (as you can see in Tbad's original post above, way back in April) this has already been announced.

Nevertheless, here's the press release:

Jay Baruchel, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, T.J. Miller, and Kristen Wiig will reprise their roles in DreamWorks Animation’s sequel to How to Train Your Dragon. Also returning is Toothless and other non-speaking-but-adorable dragons from the first film. Co-writer and co-director Dean DeBlois will fly solo on this one with Chris Sanders (who is busy on DWA’s 2012 caveman comedy The Croods) executive producing. Since How to Train Your Dragon was conceive as a “prequel-of-sorts” to Cressida Cowell’s book series, DeBlois plans to expand the world presented in the first film. Producer Bonnie Arnold explains, “There are nine books, and I feel like there are all sorts of elements that we could pull from.”

How to Train Your Dragon has been a box office smash for the studio ($489.6 million worldwide) and it’s one of my favorite films of the year. DreamWorks Animation has the 3D sequel on track for a 2013 release. Hit the jump for the press release.

Here’s the press release:

DreamWorks Animation Fires Up the Big Screen in 3D With Sequel to Critically Acclaimed ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ in 2013

All-Star Cast & Original Filmmakers Return for Sequel

GLENDALE, Calif., Oct. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. (Nasdaq: DWA) today announced plans to bring the epic action-adventure of Hiccup and his courageous Viking tribe as well as Toothless and the other beloved dragon characters on the Island of Berk back to the big screen in 3D with the sequel to How to Train Your Dragon in 2013.

The second chapter to the critically acclaimed 2010 blockbuster, How to Train Your Dragon – which has grossed nearly $500 million at the worldwide box office – will again feature the all-star voice talents of Jay Baruchel, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, TJ Miller and Kristen Wiig.

The sequel is being made under the creative guidance of Dean DeBlois, Chris Sanders, and Bonnie Arnold. It is written and directed by DeBlois and produced by Arnold. Once again based on the book series by Cressida Cowell, the sequel is executive produced by Sanders and DeBlois.

“Nothing could be more exciting for me than being charged with carrying this story forward, into the unknown reaches of Hiccup and Toothless’ ever-expanding world,” commented DeBlois. “Ambitions are high with this epic next chapter, and together with an incredible team of filmmakers, we plan to build upon How to Train Your Dragon’s originality, boldness and heart, in hopes of once again touching audiences around the world.”

“Dean, Chris and Bonnie each has a fiery passion for How to Train Your Dragon that combined is serving as the driving force behind the very bright future of DreamWorks Animation’s newest franchise,” said Bill Damaschke, Co-President of Production for DreamWorks Animation. “Having them on-board to lead the creative team and having our cast return to tell the next exciting chapter is a dream come true for the studio… and the first big revelation of our feature film line-up for 2013.”

How to Train Your Dragon, the tale of a young Viking named Hiccup who defies tradition and befriends a dragon, has impressed critics and mesmerized audiences around the globe. Among the top ten films of 2010 and one of the best-reviewed movies of the year, How to Train Your Dragon is scheduled to be released on DVD and Blu-ray on October 15, 2010.

I just saw the first one yesterday, and the movie I think is the best from Dreamworks...yes even better than Shrek.

Dragon Overload!

Cartoon Network announced today that DreamWorks Animation's How to Train Your Dragon will be coming to the network as a weekly series in both domestic and international regions beginning in 2012. The film grossed $493.2 million at the worldwide box office and will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on October 15, 2010.

"Great characters and captivating story telling along with state of the art animation is what we love giving our audience," said Stuart Snyder, President/COO of Turner's Animation, Young Adults & Kids Business. "The 'How to Train Your Dragon' weekly series definitely falls into that category of giving our viewers around the globe something they can't find anywhere else on television and DreamWorks Animation is a proven leader in taking this art form to the next level. We are ecstatic to be bringing this project to our network and working with everyone at DreamWorks Animation."

"'How to Train Your Dragon' has already captured the hearts and minds of audiences around the world and we are thrilled to join together with Cartoon Network to expand on this amazing movie in a television series of its own," commented Ann Daly, COO of DreamWorks Animation. "It is incredibly exciting to be able to bring viewers deeper into the world of dragons and tell new stories each week inspired by our characters from the film."

How to Train Your Dragon, based on the book by Cressida Cowell, rolls fire-breathing action, epic adventure and laughs into a captivating and original story. Hiccup is a young Viking who defies tradition when he befriends one of his deadliest foes — a ferocious dragon he calls Toothless. Together, the unlikely heroes must fight against all odds to save both of their worlds.

In the "How to Train Your Dragon" television series on Cartoon Network, the characters and worlds originally created for the big screen will be explored and further developed in a number of exciting ways that will be revealed over time. TV audiences will be taken on original, new adventures with Hiccup and Toothless every week.

Teaser Trailer!

[video=youtube;EX-WITGgMKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX-WITGgMKY[/video]

Synopsis:

The thrilling second chapter of the epic “How to Train Your Dragon” trilogy brings back the fantastical world of Hiccup and Toothless five years later. While Astrid, Snoutlout and the rest of the gang are challenging each other to dragon races (the island’s new favorite contact sport), the now inseparable pair journey through the skies, charting unmapped territories and exploring new worlds. When one of their adventures leads to the discovery of a secret ice cave that is home to hundreds of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider, the two friends find themselves at the center of a battle to protect the peace.

I am so excited for this. I know there were fears that they wouldn't be able to pull it off (and honestly, the way the series came out, I was a bit worried too), but this trailer looks like the film will be neat. I like the looks of the older Hiccup :thumbs: And the synopsis sounds pretty interesting - I can't wait to hear more.

I saw this tonight at the AMC Theaters double feature and I must say I was blown away. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a perfect example of what all sequels should be. It built upon what the last movie established before it and soars to new heights. I HIGHLY recommend that if you have a few extra dollars to spare, then see it in 3D or IMAX 3D.

I give this movie a 10/10

P.S.
Disney and Pixar, you might want to take some notes from this film...

Reactions: Jenstar